A statistical look at Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Aw c'mon Memphis, I'm not the one who responds with a photo of Walton, I'm sure you know the difference between relieving a coach after one year and keeping one for three.

Does Shotty call questionable plays? of course he does, the one that sticks out with me is our goal line fiasco vs Seattle late in the 4th quarter last year, but at the same time, I understand the skill players on this team are still developing, I'm looking for a little more this year, but if you're looking for a Martz style offense, I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

Aw c'mon LeftCoast. I'm not one who enters a thread offering nothing but sarcasm towards the posters discussing a topic. And I'm sure we all understand that the skill players on this team are still developing. However, that doesn't negate opinion's/views one can have on the job the guy has done (in the past and with the Rams). In fact, if not for those developing players, I'd guess that comments/views/opinions might be even worse.

And finally, I don't believe anyone is really expecting a Martz style offense here.:rolleyes:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I definitely think Schotty is good at planning the running game. I give him credit there, but when you can't get your passing game above the best he's ever done, I start to question if he knows how to game plan the passing game. The relatively recent SB winners all have high YPAs. If the SB winning QB's didn't have high YPA in the regular season, you'll find they are high in the playoffs. I didn't find any SB winners that were near what Schotty is used to having(mid 6s). I put a lot of stock in YPA passing and TD/Int ratio(especially the ints).
Funny stuff about stats. Favre career avg is 7.1 and thats what he was around when he got injured with the Jets.
I agree with the YPA stat and its importance as well.
Which does lead me to the "Is it the archer or the arrow" stuff. Sam's YPA has been it's highest under Shotty (Career high 6.7 in 2012)
And Clemens last year was at 6.9 comapred to Bradford 6.4.
So I'm good with #8 getting his chance to prove once and for all that he's got what it takes, but I'm also not so sure that Shotty has been dealt the fairest of shakes with the talent he's had to work with. But that running game has worked

I want him to have another year, it looks like it did over games 5-7 all season (with players catching the ball) then awesome, otherwise move on.

MrMotes

Starter
I didn't answer my own question because I don't think our defense is historically elite. The front four probably are but our secondary was horrible last year and I don't think Williams is going to make them all Pro Bowlers just by installing a new scheme. It should help but there are still major questions about several players at LB and DB. I also think it's MUCH easier to find a decent OC that gets the offense to a point of being competent than it is to get a defense that can carry a below average offense, not only in the regular season, but also through the playoffs and SB.

You asked for examples of SB winners with lousy passing attacks and then gave me a couple: Asked and answered.

I think we're a lot closer to being an elite defense than we are a good passing team. Funny thing about Schotty is the knock on him is he's too quick to abandon the running game. He likes to throw the ball. His teams are usually bad at it but he favors the pass. He's a crappy OC as far as i'm concerned but Fisher is happy with him. I can't imagine a replacement would be much different.

Like it or not, this team is probably only gonna go as far as its defense takes it...

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Aw c'mon LeftCoast. I'm not one who enters a thread offering nothing but sarcasm towards the posters discussing a topic. And I'm sure we all understand that the skill players on this team are still developing. However, that doesn't negate opinion's/views one can have on the job the guy has done (in the past and with the Rams). In fact, if not for those developing players, I'd guess that comments/views/opinions might be even worse.

And finally, I don't believe anyone is really expecting a Martz style offense here.:rolleyes:

Funny how you mention my sarcasm, it's ironic how every single reply you deliver back is laced with...sarcasm. As for "offering nothing" I thought I had addressed his bare cupboards at NY, but you can feel free to refute that any way you can. If you believe he's 100% responsible for the Rams offensive game planning then I would counter with, no he's not. (meaning he's on a leash to an extent)

Lemme guess, last year right around this time your were expressing your comments/opinions/views about TJ McDonald (virtually anyone not from Pac12 country was) I'm sure I was thought of as a jerk back then when I defended the pick... c'est la vie.

This is over for now as far as I'm concerned, in all honesty, I feel you've been an asset to any board I've seen you on (nothings changed) why don't we revisit this at the end of the season, I'm confidant you'll end up being as wrong about Shotty as you were about #25 (allegedly of course) I'll be around to eat crow if I'm wrong. (wouldn't bet on it)

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Funny how you mention my sarcasm, it's ironic how every single reply you deliver back is laced with...sarcasm. As for "offering nothing" I thought I had addressed his bare cupboards at NY, but you can feel free to refute that any way you can. If you believe he's 100% responsible for the Rams offensive game planning then I would counter with, no he's not. (meaning he's on a leash to an extent)

Lemme guess, last year right around this time your were expressing your comments/opinions/views about TJ McDonald (virtually anyone not from Pac12 country was) I'm sure I was thought of as a jerk back then when I defended the pick... c'est la vie.

This is over for now as far as I'm concerned, in all honesty, I feel you've been an asset to any board I've seen you on (nothings changed) why don't we revisit this at the end of the season, I'm confidant you'll end up being as wrong about Shotty as you were about #25 (allegedly of course) I'll be around to eat crow if I'm wrong. (wouldn't bet on it)

Yeah this has gotten old. But, I'd hope that you would have re-read what I posted because as far as "offering nothing," I referenced (and originally responded to) your first post in this thread.

I'm not one who enters a thread offering nothing but sarcasm towards the posters discussing a topic.
And next time I'd hope the strawmen guesses wouldn't show up (regarding McDonald, any expectation of a Martz offense, or anyone believing that Schottenhiemer is 100% responsible for the offensive game plan). BTW, on that last one, I'd guess that this wouldn't be a run-first, play action team if he were.

Finally, regarding my being wrong about Schottenhiemer. Wrong about what? I've merely presented ideas that I'd wish he would implement more and discussed his past with the Jets. That said, right now, I am just about as confident in him as I was with Haslett, Linehan, Loney, & Marmie. And I hope Fisher keeps a leash on him.

JCK363

Behind Enemy Lines
Name
John
I guess I am confused sometimes why Coach Fisher is so adamant that Sam was one of the major factors for him taking the job with the Rams, and yet he seems content to stay with an OC that has such a poor track record for exploiting the talents of the quarterbacks he works with.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
I also do not think Schotty is the long term answer.. I think he's just average. But at least he will run the ball.

moklerman

Warner-phile
YPA won't be an issue now that the offense has found it's direction and there is talent to execute it. Once Stacy became the starter, Sam's YPA went up each game until he got hurt and had he been the one throwing the ball instead of Clemens, the YPA would have been well over 7.0 the second half of the year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Finally, regarding my being wrong about Schottenhiemer. Wrong about what? I've merely presented ideas that I'd wish he would implement more and discussed his past with the Jets. That said, right now, I am just about as confident in him as I was with Haslett, Linehan, Loney, & Marmie. And I hope Fisher keeps a leash on him.

I think Fisher looks at BSchotty just like he would one of his developing players. I think Fish is trying to "grow" a great OC with his team, basically. And you know, he may be onto something, particularly if Bradford can stay healthy this year and lead this young offense to a respectable season. It would also explain why he let BS try to open up the offense last year at the beginning, I think.

So while we can nuke every year that BS was OC and look at what he had and whatnot, over the course of his career at that level it is clear he is nothing special in the passing game. But can he get better? That is really the question...

Look at, oh I don't know, Pete Carroll. Or Belichick. All these guys who achieve the highest levels learn from their mistakes and keep improving until they get to the top. IMO that is the disconnect where many of us don't understand why Schotty is still the OC. Fisher obviously sees things in BS he likes, and all I can say at this point is I hope his eye for coaching talent is correct.

Sad thing, of course, is that as soon as Schotty arrives as an OC he is gone. But I suppose that is a good thing, which would probably mean we saw the playoffs right?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
YPA won't be an issue now that the offense has found it's direction and there is talent to execute it. Once Stacy became the starter, Sam's YPA went up each game until he got hurt and had he been the one throwing the ball instead of Clemens, the YPA would have been well over 7.0 the second half of the year.
Just my opinion, but the 2nd half of 2012 Sam seemed to grow a little bit each game, and seemed to be completely in charge at the end of the year. Really felt it was his team. And like the drastic change from Shurmer to McD wasnt a great move, neither was the late 2012 offense to the spread type.
I know many use the stats of 2013 to feel confident about Sam, but for me I actually felt he was a better QB in 2012.
So yeah, the YPA is huge and IMO had we gone from the 2012 season to the Jacksonville on running team, I dont think there'd be any arguement left against Sam.
So that's what I'm taking into 14.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Replace Burns with Fisher & Schottenhiemer with Schnelker?

lol. I haven't laughed like that in a while. Especially the last couple of seconds where he walks off mumbling, "fuckers."

That's a great presser. No matter how well you prepare, someone's fucking shoe can fall off and ruin a play.
That was awesome.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"Fuck they put his picture up there and the fuckers boo 'em.....fuckers." [leaves the podium]
:ROFLMAO:

What game was this? Lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"freak they put his picture up there and the fuckers boo 'em.....fuckers." [leaves the podium]
:ROFLMAO:

What game was this? Lol
That has to be immortalized now. :ROFLMAO:

coiwbje1o4mt39cfg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/c11b/coiwbje1o4mt39cfg.jpg?size_id=4

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
lol. I haven't laughed like that in a while. Especially the last couple of seconds where he walks off mumbling, "fuckers."

That's a great presser. No matter how well you prepare, someone's freaking shoe can fall off and ruin a play.
That was awesome.

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: Oh Lord! Thank you, Memphis!

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Lost of folks seem surprised by how the Rams are approaching the game of football. I think it was pretty clear when the Rams hired Fisher 2+ years ago what would happen. They diverged from plan at the start of 2013 (and then came to their senses).

Plan: run the ball, take care of the ball, stop the run, pressure the QB to force turnovers, get young dynamic playmakers all over the field and put them into positions where they can make plays.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lost of folks seem surprised by how the Rams are approaching the game of football. I think it was pretty clear when the Rams hired Fisher 2+ years ago what would happen. They diverged from plan at the start of 2013 (and then came to their senses).

Plan: run the ball, take care of the ball, stop the run, pressure the QB to force turnovers, get young dynamic playmakers all over the field and put them into positions where they can make plays.
Egg
zactly.