A statistical look at Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MrMotes

Starter
You said it! Might I add, that it will be difficult to determine Sam Bradford's worth under weight of a sluggish Schottenheimer snail paced passing game.

That's always been my take too. It's hard to know if Bradford has it or not considering the HC's and offenses he's played in/for...

…..

Legend
6.6 YPA is not managing the offense, IMO. You need a much higher YPA if you expect to win in the NFL. YPA is one of the most important stats for the offense, IMO.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/7/8/4501716/nfl-statistics-yards-per-attempt

Just go back and look at the recent SB winners. All of them have QB's that were at or very near the top of YPA. Flacco might be considered an exception but if you look at his YPA passing during the playoffs, you'll find it shoots up to 9.05. Roethlisberger was similar in 2008. His YPA in the regular season was okay but it shot up in the playoffs when it mattered most.

A YPA in the 6's won't cut it- not if you want to do more than just make a playoff game and then lose. So you'd better hope our offense is quite a bit more "flashy and high powered" if you want to ever win the SB. Just running it with a good defense isn't enough. You still have to have the relatively high YPA passing game.

I agree with you....however, its not my philosophy so I'll forward your meassage to Jeff Fisher ;)

The Bus

UDFA
Name
Chad
Scottys an awful OC.. he's really all we have thats hurting us right now

V3

Hall of Fame
I give Shotty credit for keeping things going when Bradford went down.

That's because Schotty's good at the running game and that's what the offense should rely on when the starter goes down and the backup can't throw it down field. I give him credit there. The problem is that a good running game with below average passing will not win the SB unless you have an absolutely elite D. An elite defense is harder to acquire than an above average passing game.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm kind of leery of offering much credit to Schottenhiemer when it comes to the running game. Especially, since he got his start under Martz and Jets fans I've talked to and read pointed out how he would abandon the run at times only to get forced back to it by Ryan.

That coupled with reading awhile back how the running game is usually a joint effort, at best, with the Oline coach for most OCs and how, in many cases, the Oline & RB coach are really the key cogs via run play development makes me wonder, too.

In New York they had former HC/OC Bill Callahan as OLine coach while he was there. Here, there's Boudreau.

I don't know. Maybe he has a HUGE influence on the running game. But, I'd venture a guess that his OLine coaches have played a much larger role there. Sure he's had some imput, but I wonder if he has merely just called the plays.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I really believe Jeff Fisher could benefit by having a few cold ones with some of you guys, maybe you can guide him to the OC of your collective dreams
I'm pretty sure Snisher knows where they're going, and who they're delegating certain authorities to, some of the negativity here is just mind blowing.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I really believe Jeff Fisher could benefit by having a few cold ones with some of you guys, maybe you can guide him to the OC of your collective dreams
I'm pretty sure Snisher knows where they're going, and who they're delegating certain authorities to, some of the negativity here is just mind blowing.

walton_290713.jpg

"You tell them. Jeff can't make any mistakes."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
walton_290713.jpg

Yep, and Jeff corrected that mistake very quickly. Meanwhile Shotty is going into his 3rd season here and the offense is creeping it's way upward from the abyss it was before he arrived. Slowly but surely :)

Fans love the backup QB and any OC other than the one who is actually calling the plays it seems.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Fans love the backup QB and any OC other than the one who is actually calling the plays it seems.

I am not to sure many "loved" Clemens. I did love Martz as OC :sneaky:

As long as Schotty stops throwing at the goal line after we rush most of the field to get there I wont crucify him just yet.

Though I am far from a Schotty fan and do wish for an upgrade, it could be worse. I will continue to hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Hopefully, this creep upwards picks up a little speed this season. Then again he gave Norm Chow 3 seasons before he moved on from him. Interestingly enough Jerry Rhome only got two seasons with Fisher.

BTW, I loved Martz as OC. And I liked former OC Greg Olson, too.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
walton_290713.jpg

:)Yeah well he corrected that mistake...Shotty is entering his 3rd season, Fisher must see something...then again, who the heck is Jeff Fisher when matched up vs. some around here?

What do you want from the guy? His past record? (what the hell does that have to do with the present Rams) The "Hall of famer Favre" (yeah funny how the same posters left out he was ran out of GB, think about that)
They're building something here, a certain style, lotta young players learning on the fly, I wouldn't be getting my chone's (skiv's) in a bunch over our OC developing this team, bey hey, that's just me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
WHO WERE the best receivers in NY under Shotty's watch? Was Wayne Chrebet there or am i thinking back too far?

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
WHO WHERE the best receivers in NY under Shotty's watch? Was Wayne Chrebet there or am i thinking back too far?

Chrebet's last year was 2005, Schotty became OC in NY in 2007 I believe? Maybe 2006? IDK really.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Well look it up ya bum! :D

You do it you lazy fuck!!!!!

So anyways...found it lolol.
Schottys first year as Jets OC was in 2006.
Chrebet played his last game in 2005 after a massive concussion ended his career.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Leverneus Coles was his mainstay, He did have Braylon Edwards and Santanio Holmes breify, pretty much bare cupboards when it came to quality 1st line WR's, my guess would be this years WRs may be the most talent he's ever had to work with.

PhxRam

You do it you lazy freak!!!!!

So anyways...found it lolol.
Schottys first year as Jets OC was in 2006.
Chrebet played his last game in 2005 after a massive concussion ended his career.

I liked Chrebet and Al Toon.