A statistical look at Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

Wiki doesn't really explain his yearly coaching to well, Made me think it was 2007. Had to use Pre football reference and it said 2006. Not sure if accurate or not, but I do remember hearing somewhere that Schotty was OC there for 6 years so makes sense if true.

Regardless, Seems we all agree he didn't have much to work with.

PhxRam

I liked Chrebet, I think lots of people did. Toon was good to, I wanted the Rams to draft his son Nick a few years ago.

Chrebet reminds me of that guy from Buffalo with the helmet that looked like the great Gazoo

download (1).jpg

Memphis Ram

Legend
:)Yeah well he corrected that mistake...Shotty is entering his 3rd season, Fisher must see something...then again, who the heck is Jeff Fisher when matched up vs. some around here?

What do you want from the guy? His past record? (what the hell does that have to do with the present Rams) The "Hall of famer Favre" (yeah funny how the same posters left out he was ran out of GB, think about that)
They're building something here, a certain style, lotta young players learning on the fly, I wouldn't be getting my chone's (skiv's) in a bunch over our OC developing this team, bey hey, that's just me.

What do I want? More creativity. Better play calling. Plays that drafted players had great success with in college incorporated into the offense. The hope that Schottenhiemer doesn't repeat past mistakes.

I wouldn't be getting my (skiv's) in a bunch over any criticism of Schottenhiemer on a fan message board and I don't blindly believe that Jeff Fisher can do no wrong, but hey, that's just me.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Aw c'mon Memphis, I'm not the one who responds with a photo of Walton, I'm sure you know the difference between relieving a coach after one year and keeping one for three.

Does Shotty call questionable plays? of course he does, the one that sticks out with me is our goal line fiasco vs Seattle late in the 4th quarter last year, but at the same time, I understand the skill players on this team are still developing, I'm looking for a little more this year, but if you're looking for a Martz style offense, I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

Last edited:

MrMotes

Starter
Fisher is a defensive minded coach. He doesn't have anywhere near the standards or expectations for his offense that he does for his defense.

Greg Williams is a mad scientist. BS is a mediocre OC who's expected to the run the ball.

It's a philosophy that can win. We talk a lot about offense but this team, in all likelihood, is gonna be about defense...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting take on Shotty. Seems many are down on him for not fielding a top passing offense but he has had the top running game once and top 10 a bunch of times. Remains to be be seen what other OC would do with a QB list that includes a broken down Pennington, a bust in Sanchez and a question mark in Bradford who has statistically played his best ball under Shotty's watch.

V3

Hall of Fame
Interesting take on Shotty. Seems many are down on him for not fielding a top passing offense but he has had the top running game once and top 10 a bunch of times. Remains to be be seen what other OC would do with a QB list that includes a broken down Pennington, a bust in Sanchez and a question mark in Bradford who has statistically played his best ball under Shotty's watch.

He had Brett Favre(who was still very good) and his YPA still wasn't very good.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had Brett Favre(who was still very good) and his YPA still wasn't very good.
That offense was humming before Favre blew out his shoulder and tried to play through it.

[Edit] He tore his biceps and played through it. After 8-3 start, he finished last 5 games with 2 TD and 9 INT after the injury

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
Fisher is a defensive minded coach. He doesn't have anywhere near the standards or expectations for his offense that he does for his defense.

Greg Williams is a mad scientist. BS is a mediocre OC who's expected to the run the ball.

It's a philosophy that can win. We talk a lot about offense but this team, in all likelihood, is gonna be about defense...
Please find examples of previous Super Bowl winners that had offenses that had YPA passing as low as Schotty's. You might find some really old ones and perhaps Tampa Bay(2003) and Baltimore(2000)but those defenses were historically elite. While the Rams hopefully have a very good defense, it isn't elite, let alone historically elite.

V3

Hall of Fame
That offense was humming before Favre blew out his shoulder and tried to play through it.

It's been too long so I don't know. I just saw his YPA and it wasn't good. It'd be interesting to see what Favre's YPA was before the injury(which I forgot about). If it was good, perhaps there is some hope for Schotty.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well i for one am excited about an offense that wants to crush, grind, pummel, push, pull, smack and ground n pound it's way through this division.
IMO Sam is an excellent play action QB who can make a few big plays when Shotty calls a good gameplan.

What i DON'T want to see is Shotty getting cute at the goalline like he did vs Seattle last season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been too long so I don't know. I just saw his YPA and it wasn't good. It'd be interesting to see what Favre's YPA was before the injury(which I forgot about). If it was good, perhaps there is some hope for Schotty.
1st 11 games
245 347 70.61% 2461 20td 13int 7.092219 ypa 94+ rating
Last 5
98 175 56.00% 1011 2td 9int 5.777143 ypa 55.2 rating

MrMotes

Starter
Please find examples of previous Super Bowl winners that had offenses that had YPA passing as low as Schotty's. You might find some really old ones and perhaps Tampa Bay(2003) and Baltimore(2000)but those defenses were historically elite. While the Rams hopefully have a very good defense, it isn't elite, let alone historically elite.

You answered your own question.

I'm expecting way bigger things from our defense than our offense. It's not my preferred route, but it's one that can work.

If it were up to me, we never would've hired BS in the first place and we'd have a philosophy that's just as aggressive and creative on the offensive side of the ball as Greg Williams is on the defensive side of the ball. We'd have an OC with a history/ability to develop QB's and WR's (something BS has never shown even the slightest ability to do). But it's not up to me, and this is a formula that can win. Soon we'll find out if it will...

V3

Hall of Fame
1st 11 games
245 347 70.61% 2461 20td 13int 7.092219 ypa 94+ rating
Last 5
98 175 56.00% 1011 2td 9int 5.777143 ypa 55.2 rating

LOL! I was just doing the same stuff. Had to find out when the injury occurred first so you beat me to it. Nice job, though.

While the 7.09 is much better than the rest of Schotty's history, it still isn't what I'd consider good enough. I'd prefer something closer to 7.3 at the minimum.

V3

Hall of Fame
You answered your own question.

I'm expecting way bigger things from our defense than our offense. It's not my preferred route, but it's one that can work.

If it were up to me, we never would've hired BS in the first place and we'd have a philosophy that's just as aggressive and creative on the offensive side of the ball as Greg Williams is on the defensive side of the ball. We'd have an OC with a history/ability to develop QB's and WR's (something BS has never shown even the slightest ability to do). But it's not up to me, and this is a formula that can win. Soon we'll find out if it will...

I didn't answer my own question because I don't think our defense is historically elite. The front four probably are but our secondary was horrible last year and I don't think Williams is going to make them all Pro Bowlers just by installing a new scheme. It should help but there are still major questions about several players at LB and DB. I also think it's MUCH easier to find a decent OC that gets the offense to a point of being competent than it is to get a defense that can carry a below average offense, not only in the regular season, but also through the playoffs and SB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL! I was just doing the same stuff. Had to find out when the injury occurred first so you beat me to it. Nice job, though.

While the 7.09 is much better than the rest of Schotty's history, it still isn't what I'd consider good enough. I'd prefer something closer to 7.3 at the minimum.
Well, its kind of splitting hairs if you ask me. 7.1 vs 7.3. In Favre's Green Bay career he only ecliipsed the 7.1 6 times in 16 seasons, many seasons under 7

But that's why I ultimately didnt include Favre in the comparison of QB. He's a hall of fame QB and played like one for many different OC. He should make it work regardless of who the OC is.

Just seems to me that the criticism of the passing game falls at his feet and the running game gets credited to the HC. So I at least think he deserves some credit for Bradford playing the best he has so far.

V3

Hall of Fame
Well, its kind of splitting hairs if you ask me. 7.1 vs 7.3. In Favre's Green Bay career he only ecliipsed the 7.1 6 times in 16 seasons, many seasons under 7

But that's why I ultimately didnt include Favre in the comparison of QB. He's a hall of fame QB and played like one for many different OC. He should make it work regardless of who the OC is.

Just seems to me that the criticism of the passing game falls at his feet and the running game gets credited to the HC. So I at least think he deserves some credit for Bradford playing the best he has so far.

I definitely think Schotty is good at planning the running game. I give him credit there, but when you can't get your passing game above the best he's ever done, I start to question if he knows how to game plan the passing game. The relatively recent SB winners all have high YPAs. If the SB winning QB's didn't have high YPA in the regular season, you'll find they are high in the playoffs. I didn't find any SB winners that were near what Schotty is used to having(mid 6s). I put a lot of stock in YPA passing and TD/Int ratio(especially the ints).