4th Round: Pick #20 - OT Andrew Donnal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/andrew-donnal?id=2552352

6' 6" 313 lbs

Andrew Donnal

Overview

2014: Honorable mention All-Big Ten. Started all 13 games at right tackle. 2013: Played in 13 games at guard and tackle. 2012: Played in seven games, starting three at right guard before suffering torn ACL and missing final five games. 2011: Played in first four games. 2010: Redshirted.

Pro Day Results

3-cone drill: 7.51 seconds
Bench press: 23 reps of 225 pounds

Analysis

Strengths: Not the prettiest tackle you will see, but is technically sound and works hard snap in and snap out. Succeeds with proper hand placement. Looks for work down the field or when play is in his area. Uses power step to meet inside pass rush moves. Shows ability to drop anchor even if it is a little deep in the pocket.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have much power in his legs and won't generate very much push in run game. Gets driven off the line of scrimmage at times. Shuffles and gets base too narrow when sliding to a high pass rush attack point. Lacks physical composure when bull rushed. Upper body and hands don't carry much power. Leaner when finding targets on second level.

Draft Projection: Round 5 or 6

Bottom Line: Donnal is limited from an athletic and strength standpoint but understands the nuances of the position and how to play with technique. With an ability to pass protect and experience at both guard and tackle, he should be drafted and has a legitimate shot at making a roster.

oldramfan

bigramfan1966
Was hoping for another mauler at OG. Not sure this guy will help this year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Boom. Love the way this kid plays. Another smart, get the job done guy. Needs some strength, good agility, I saw 3 pancakes in one game I scouted. He never stops finding people on the field. Plays to whistle. Understands angles, and leverage. Just a few of my notes. I think he could be a solid starter with some development. He's a ORT.

Didn't give up a sack or pressure in two games that I scouted him. Will need a year in the weight room.

Player comp for me is David Bahktiari.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Nice report. Mayock and Co. said he could play ORT and ORG. Could be a nice swing player that competes for starting spot.
Boom. Love the way this kid plays. Another smart, get the job done guy. Needs some strength, good agility, I saw 3 pancakes in one game I scouted. He never stops finding people on the field. Plays to whistle. Understands angles, and leverage. Just a few of my notes. I think he could be a solid starter with some development. He's a ORT.

Didn't give up a sack or pressure in two games that I scouted him. Will need a year in the weight room.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It seems that they are looking for smarts on the OLine. I like it. He will be better depth than some of what the Rams have already. If he adds strength maybe he pushes to start.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

An Iowa tackle. . .not named Scherff. Rams take Andrew Donnal.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@SandoESPN

Look at the #Rams taking a third OL in first four rounds. Like the thinking of elite RB, developmental QB, multiple OL.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

Rams take another offensive lineman. It's OT Andrew Donnal of Iowa. So they did end up with an OL from Iowa. #STLPick

Five consecutive picks on offense for Rams and three of them OL. Increasing the odds of hitting on some of these guys. #STLPick

Michael Rothstein ‏@mikerothstein

Andrew Donnal, the brother of #Michigan hoops forward Mark Donnal, was just drafted by the #Rams #STLpick

Ron Clements ‏@Ron_Clements

#Ram with yet another offensive lineman. Andrew Donnal from #Iowa. #NFL #NFLDraft #STL #STLRams

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport

#STLPick Iowa OT Andrew Donnal. Rams have gone offense on all five picks. 3 OL, 1 QB, 1 RB.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

Both OTs (Havenstein and Donnal) are Big 10 products. Not surprising considering Rams want to be in run game/offensively. #STLPick

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

#Rams hammering the O-Line now. At least they are aware it was a problem.

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Donnal started 13 games at RT last season for Hawkeyes. He's 6-6, 313. Only other starts were 3 in 2012 (at left guard).

Myles Simmons ‏@MylesASimmons

Donnal also has experience at guard, having played there in the 2013 season. He played at G and T that year.

Donnal started all 13 games at RT in 2014, earning honorable mention All-Big Ten from league coaches.

Nate Latsch ‏@NateLatsch

Iowa OL Andrew Donnal, the #STLRams fourth-round pick, has some versatility with experience all over the line. Seems like decent project.

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Donnal came to Iowa in the same recruiting class as Scherff, but was slowed by a season-ending ACL injury in 2012.

Casey Pearce ‏@ccpearce

The Rams took Iowa tackle Andrew Donnal with the pick they received from PHI in the Foles/Bradford trade

Torry Holt ‏@BigGame81

Andrew Donnal, versatile (LT, RG, RT), good quickness, high football IQ. needs to improve in the weight room for @NFL, developmental player

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo

Rams select Iowa OT Andrew Donnal. It's 3rd OL Rams have drafted so far, most of any team.

Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm

Interesting Rams went with Andrew Donnal ... bit of a departure from their power-based picks previously. More of a finesse guy.

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler

Brandon Scherff and Andrew Donnal were part of the same recruiting class at #Iowa. Donnal waited his turn to start and impressed in 2014

Nathan Jahnke ‏@PFF_NateJahnke

New Ram Andrew Donnal allowed only 1 sack all year, but also allowed a high 6 hits and 20 hurries.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Nice report. Mayock and Co. said he could play ORT and ORG. Could be a nice swing player that competes for starting spot.
A few more notes is that he flashed in several combine drills, he has some nasty to his game, and will finish a guy if he can. Picks up twists and stunts effortlessly, and willing and able second level blocker. Dude buried a lot of linebackers.

He came back and played at a high level after an ACL.

Last edited:

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Not sure I like it, would have rather waited for the 6th and 7th for OL depth, but I can't deny we need depth as well as starters. Maybe he's thus year's Gaines, drafted lower but takes the starting spot for himself.