4th Round: Pick #20 - OT Andrew Donnal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
We all agree the major concern was the O-Line, and they are addressing it in this draft. No flash with the O-Line picks, but I really think they are going after guys that will fit what we want to do, and that is punish the defense with a dynamic running game with Mason and Gurley. It will all pan out when the season begins. GO RAMS!

We don't need flashy guys. We already have our two anchors---Grob on the port side and Beetlejuice on the starboard end. They correspond to 'Lando Pace and Andrew Timmerman from the GSOT days. The other OL guys need to be solid, workaholic grunts that just get the damn job done. With a stud like GT in the backfield, why wouldn't you want to bulldoze everything in sight?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Kid kinda reminds me of vintage Kyle Turley, not the shell of the man we had, but the guy from the Saints that absolutely destroyed people and made them quit right in front of their hometown crowds.
We spoke and the front office listened, gentlemen, we now have a front line to contend with.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
We don't need flashy guys. We already have our two anchors---Grob on the port side and Beetlejuice on the starboard end. They correspond to 'Lando Pace and Andrew Timmerman from the GSOT days. The other OL guys need to be solid, workaholic grunts that just get the damn job done. With a stud like GT in the backfield, why wouldn't you want to bulldoze everything in sight?
I feel like I can just "like" everything you say and go 'yea' like the douchey kid from Mayweathers camp who gets paid to cosign all day(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Torry Holt ‏@BigGame81

Andrew Donnal, versatile (LT, RG, RT), good quickness, high football IQ. needs to improve in the weight room for @NFL, developmental player
Nice to hear Tory weigh in!

RamBill

Legend
Total breakdown: Rams draft OL Andrew Donnal in fourth round
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...n-rams-draft-ol-andrew-donnal-in-fourth-round

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A few quick thoughts on the St. Louis Rams' fourth-round draft pick:

The pick: Andrew Donnal, offensive line, Iowa.

My take: A team coached by Jeff Fisher had never taken four consecutive offensive players in a draft until this year. Now, they've taken five in a row and Donnal is the third offensive lineman in the group. Donnal is 6-foot-7, 305 pounds and -- similar to second-round pick Rob Havenstein -- comes from a power running school. The Rams aren't messing around when it comes to rebuilding their offensive line and Donnal gives them another prospect they hope can turn into a productive contributor. If nothing else, the Rams are increasing their chances of hitting paydirt on an offensive lineman by stacking up multiple prospects.

Versatility value: Donnal played both guard and both tackle spots for the Iowa Hawkeyes, though his starting experience is mostly at right tackle. But having that type of versatility is essentially a must if you are going to play on the line for the Rams. Greg Robinson and Rodger Saffold have played inside and out in the NFL and center Barrett Jones played all over the line in college. Even third-round pick Jamon Brown has experience playing everywhere but center. For the Rams, it's not likely that Donnal will be asked to start right away but his ability to play all over the line should bolster his chances of sticking around.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I liked this kid....saw him while watching Scherff.....very solid at Senior Bowl.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Another guy with an ACL tear. Another offensive lineman who should've been picked much later than he was. Well, at least they're addressing the O-line. That's the only positive thing I can say about this draft thus far.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Okay the theme is guys with experience with great technique and with Brown & Donnal versatility as opposed to athletes that are strong in the weight room so no Travis Scott here.

OL Coach Paul Boudreau's hand prints are all over this draft, here's hoping he's right because all of them seem to be a round too early, but that's only from the publications.
OK. I'm confused now. I thought the theme was to pick guys that wear the #78.

V3

Hall of Fame
We all agree the major concern was the O-Line, and they are addressing it in this draft. No flash with the O-Line picks, but I really think they are going after guys that will fit what we want to do, and that is punish the defense with a dynamic running game with Mason and Gurley. It will all pan out when the season begins. GO RAMS!
That's great and all but that almost guarantees that they passed up better talent higher on their board to fill their needs. That's not a good strategy. Hopefully it's a one time deal and they learn from this.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Tore his MCL and PCL pretty badly in a game. Never started a game at tackle before 2014. Competed with Scherff for the left tackle job at Iowa in their sophomore years. Couldn't beat him out and didn't start. Only started three games in 2013 before he blew out his knee.

jap

Legend

Of course, "Andrew Timmerman" should have been "Adam Timmerman". Senility creeping in early! :eek:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Total breakdown: Rams draft OL Andrew Donnal in fourth round
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...n-rams-draft-ol-andrew-donnal-in-fourth-round

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A few quick thoughts on the St. Louis Rams' fourth-round draft pick:

The pick: Andrew Donnal, offensive line, Iowa.

My take: A team coached by Jeff Fisher had never taken four consecutive offensive players in a draft until this year. Now, they've taken five in a row and Donnal is the third offensive lineman in the group. Donnal is 6-foot-7, 305 pounds and -- similar to second-round pick Rob Havenstein -- comes from a power running school. The Rams aren't messing around when it comes to rebuilding their offensive line and Donnal gives them another prospect they hope can turn into a productive contributor. If nothing else, the Rams are increasing their chances of hitting paydirt on an offensive lineman by stacking up multiple prospects.

Versatility value: Donnal played both guard and both tackle spots for the Iowa Hawkeyes, though his starting experience is mostly at right tackle. But having that type of versatility is essentially a must if you are going to play on the line for the Rams. Greg Robinson and Rodger Saffold have played inside and out in the NFL and center Barrett Jones played all over the line in college. Even third-round pick Jamon Brown has experience playing everywhere but center. For the Rams, it's not likely that Donnal will be asked to start right away but his ability to play all over the line should bolster his chances of sticking around.
Of course, "Andrew Timmerman" should have been "Adam Timmerman". Senility creeping in early! :eek:

Age gettin on mi olde fiendr ....apj:oops:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
That's great and all but that almost guarantees that they passed up better talent higher on their board to fill their needs. That's not a good strategy. Hopefully it's a one time deal and they learn from this.
Better talent in whose eyes? Guys like you or me? Analysts like Malock, Kiper, Jr., etc.? Snead and Fisher along with the other coaches/scouts have a much better sense of what talent is needed to work/fit within their system. It's not always about talent but what works within your offensive/defensive systems. I've seen many players, over the years, with less talent have very successful careers in the league. I trust what they are doing and not just drafting for the "best player available" or what others might think is "best" for the team. IMO, too many players with "better" talent seem to be a bust and the guys that are "less" talented seem to be successful long-term players in the league.

V3

Hall of Fame
Better talent in whose eyes? Guys like you or me? Analysts like Malock, Kiper, Jr., etc.? Snead and Fisher along with the other coaches/scouts have a much better sense of what talent is needed to work/fit within their system. It's not always about talent but what works within your offensive/defensive systems. I've seen many players, over the years, with less talent have very successful careers in the league. I trust what they are doing and not just drafting for the "best player available" or what others might think is "best" for the team. IMO, too many players with "better" talent seem to be a bust and the guys that are "less" talented seem to be successful long-term players in the league.
In their own eyes. There's no way the draft fell like that. The two positions they needed to fill the most(OL and backup QB) just happened to be at the top of their board when their pick came up? One right after the other? Yeah, right. There's no amount of coach speak that could even make me believe that.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
In their own eyes. There's no way the draft fell like that. The two positions they needed to fill the most(OL and backup QB) just happened to be at the top of their board when their pick came up? One right after the other? Yeah, right. There's no amount of coach speak that could even make me believe that.

So are you saying they are poor judges of determining talent?

V3

Hall of Fame
So are you saying they are poor judges of determining talent?
No. I'm saying they didn't follow their own BPA. They took for need. There's no way you can convince me that they thought that EVERY ONE of these players was at the top of THEIR OWN draft board when they had to pick. That's like winning the lottery type odds.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CEBj5FLUUAEzdp-.jpg:large

Posted in chat thread. Donnal and Scherff.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
No. I'm saying they didn't follow their own BPA. They took for need. There's no way you can convince me that they thought that EVERY ONE of these players was at the top of THEIR OWN draft board when they had to pick. That's like winning the lottery type odds.
I understand. I guess we'll have to wait until the dust has settled, then listen to Fisher and Snead discuss their picks and why they chose them and how they will fit in the grand scheme of things.