49ers hire Chip Kelly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Per rotoworld.

Mike Shanahan - OT - Free Agent

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Mike Shanahan was passed over for the 49ers' head-coaching job because he didn't want Colin Kaepernick.

49ers' Hall of Famers were calling the front office in support of Shanahan, and he appeared to be the favorite deep into the search. Things unraveled when Shanahan reportedly said he wanted the team to move on from Kaepernick and use its first-round pick on a new quarterback. GM Trent Baalke and the higher-ups in the organization believe Kap can be "salvaged," which led to Chip Kelly getting the job instead of Shanahan. Kap is the favorite to start Week 1.

Related: 49ers

It gets better!(I don't think Shanahan is a great HC but he was right about moving on from Kaepernick)

CSN Bay Area's John Middlekauff reports Texans LBs coach Mike Vrabel has turned down the 49ers' defensive coordinator vacancy.

It's an embarrassment for Chip Kelly. The Texans weren't even required to let Vrabel interview, but did so in good faith. We'd imagine Vrabel, who is a rising coaching star, decided Kelly's brand of football was too risky for his first coordinating job. Kelly's defenses spend huge amounts of time on the field, wearing out players and jacking up statistics. 2016 will be Vrabel's third season as Bill O'Brien's linebackers coach.

REJECTED!

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Man, this thread is a thing of beauty. LMAO :mrburnsevil:

Maybe Jed wants to tank this season

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think you guys are underestimating the hire of Kelly. He's got his probs, but I guarantee you their offense is going to score a lot more points this season. If Fish doesn't fix this offense there's a good chance the Rams are back in the cellar. IMO this division just got tougher.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you guys are underestimating the hire of Kelly. He's got his probs, but I guarantee you their offense is going to score a lot more points this season. If Fish doesn't fix this offense there's a good chance the Rams are back in the cellar. IMO this division just got tougher.

That's not saying much. They were last in the NFL in 2015. Kelly's system will run more plays than any other offense. Simply by virtue of volume, they will score more. Problem is that they screw the defense by doing that.

San Fran's strengths lie in their power run game and defense...the two areas that Kelly's system tends to weaken.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Loved him at Oregon but was surprised he did as well as he did at Philly. He's just dripping with arrogance and let's that get in the way of common sense. The 9ers will be better than they were this year (pretending our last game NEVER happened) but their ceiling won't even be the playoffs. As others have said, a good/fast defense, like we have now, will handle his offenses every time. His defenses?

View attachment 11813

Hmmmm, but the Rams couldn't beat the 49ers on the road this year, even without Kelly. I don't agree that the Rams defense could handle his offense every time ; too inconsistent.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Hmmmm, but the Rams couldn't beat the 49ers on the road this year, even without Kelly. I don't agree that the Rams defense could handle his offense every time ; too inconsistent.

Not an accurate statement. "Couldn't beat them". No Gurley, Quinn, Ogletree, McDonald... The Niners could probably list off key players as well. It was the end of the year. I think our first game against them was a better indicator.

These two teams will both be significantly different next year. I like our prospects of being the better team.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-eric-mangini-as-49ers-defensive-coordinator/

Chip Kelly fires Eric Mangini as 49ers defensive coordinator
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 22, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwnjyzqwmmmzy2mwzthmzjvjmzbjztg5ywiwmtg4zdyz-e1421695126771.jpeg
AP

Chip Kelly hasn’t named his new defensive coordinator in San Francisco, but it won’t be the old defensive coordinator.

Eric Mangini has been fired, Alex Marvez of FOX Sports reports. Mangini served as defensive coordinator last year on Jim Tomsula’s staff after serving as an offensive assistant the previous two years on Jim Harbaugh’s staff.

Now Mangini may struggle to find a new coaching job elsewhere, as his firing comes fairly late in the game after most teams have filled out their staffs. Mangini spent two years out of coaching after he was fired as head coach of the Browns following the 2010 season, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him spend a year out of coaching again.

There’s no word on who Kelly will hire as his new defensive coordinator. Mike Vrabel has already turned the job down, but Kelly presumably has someone else in mind.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...comes-offensive-coordinator-in-san-francisco/

Curtis Modkins becomes offensive coordinator in San Francisco
Posted by Mike Florio on January 22, 2016

zz02ogm0zdizndvkowixnzjjnmrimdu4zgjmn2qzmzkxnw-e1453496826465.jpeg
Getty Images

The 49ers have an offensive coordinator for coach Chip Kelly’s offense.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the 49ers have hired Lions running backs coach/run game coordinator Curtis Modkins to run Kelly’s offense. It’s unclear how much running of the offense Modkins will do; by all appearances and indications, Kelly will have his hands firmly on the wheel.

Modkins joined the Lions in 2013. Before that, he spent three seasons with the Bills, one with the Cardinals, one with the Chiefs, and more than a decade at the college level. Under former Buffalo coach Chan Gailey, Modkins served as offensive coordinator but like Kelly in San Francisco, Gaily ran the offense.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/26/report-jim-oneil-to-be-49ers-defensive-coordinator/

Report: Jim O’Neil to be 49ers defensive coordinator
Posted by Josh Alper on January 26, 2016

zz02ytfjmjzkmjm1yjywmjcwmddkzmeyyju1njk0zgrjoq-e1453849335146.jpeg
AP

49ers head coach Chip Kelly has reportedly found his defensive coordinator.

Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area reports that the 49ers have decided to hire Jim O’Neil to fill the role. O’Neil served in the same position with the Browns for the last two years. The Browns dropped from 9th in points allowed in 2014 to 29th in 2015.

O’Neil worked under head coach Mike Pettine in Cleveland after also serving on the staffs for the Jets and Bills when Pettine was with those teams. O’Neil played high school football for Pettine’s father, so it’s a relationship that goes back a long way.

His charge with the 49ers will be devising a defense that can improve on last year’s results while being asked to be on the field more than other units thanks to the uptempo offensive scheme employed by Kelly. The Eagles defense was on the field for the most plays in the league in two of Kelly’s three seasons in Philly and they came in second during Kelly’s other year on the job.

Maiocco also reports that the 49ers have hired former Dolphins running backs coach Jeff Nixon as the team’s tight ends coach. The 49ers have not formally announced any hires yet, but these two additions should push that announcement closer as Kelly has reportedly put together most of his staff at this point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Some whiners not liking the hire:

what a joke
So what you are saying is, we will be searching for a new coach for a 3rd year in a row.

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

There goes our defense.
Joe Staley: I want to announce my retirement.
Reid: I think I need to retire due to health reasons.
Cool. More 3 and outs and a really tired D.
What a s**t show.
You guys ready to see garbage?
Can't imagine a more terrible hire. Our defense will now need to play 20 games instead of 16 and the locker room will be divided between black and white. Oh, and free agents will tell SF to eff off!!!
This is absolutely fantastically s**tTY
kap is back.
i give up. We are looking at at least 2 more seasons of ineptitude.
fits the bill...hire a guy no one else wanted or interview...great job Trent and Jed...we will be picking in the top ten again in the 2017 draft...
Spurrier 2.0

F*%ing Santa Clara 49ers. Thanks for the splash, Jed. Who's the top draft prospect next year?
f**k this c********r
Hire the guy no one else f**king wanted.

A guy that just came from wrecking another team.

f**k you jed.
losing-it.gif

Hahahahhahaha. Yep, just saw it. Yet another major fxxk-up from York and Baalke.

Kelly was the worst candidate all along. With his BS Power Spread system, the 9ers are finished. I am fxxking done with this franchise. LOL.
First i lose out on 800 million and now this. FML
hooray! another coach the players can give up playing for!
It's official. Now I hate Baalke too ...
I hope we don't have to start a new thread tracking which super stars Chip sends off to other teams
sick.gif

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh eff me!
JED: One question Chip. Are you an a*****e?
CHIP: Yes sir I sure am. What about you, Trent?
TRENT: Almost as big an a*****e as you are, Chip.
CHIP: I hear Mangini is a big f**king a*****e.
JED: Indeed he is.
CHIP: In that case, let's keep him.
JED: What's your feeling about the QB situation?
CHIP: Well, Kaep is definitely more of an a*****e than Blaine. So Kaep's my guy.
TRENT: We may not be winning with class, but we're losing with ass.
Sick to my stomach about this. Hope to God I am wrong. I forsee nothing but infighting after year one. Who really believes Kelly is the future of the franchise long term? I feel like I did last year when they announced Tomsula. No that's not true, I didn't know how bad Tomsula could be.
sick.gif

lmao some of you are actually fired up about this
So let me get this straight. The 49ers fired a former college coach, because he was abrasive and wanted too much power. Then they hired another, lesser, college coach who was fired from his last job because he was abrasive and wanted too much power.

And this is supposed to work, how?

God, York family...just sell. This is too much for you to deal with.
Chip Kelly's teams ALWAYS have struggled against big, physical teams. NFC West going to own us.
I feel like I'm trapped in an Onion article.
We are f**ked
Weekly Fantasy Football
DraftKings.com
Oh we're f**ked
angry.gif
doesn't Kelly run the same plays over and over not to mention the fact that his players seem to hate him. Worst of all this probably means Kap is back with that ridiculous salary
We have returned to the Joe Thomas years, can you say Pete MacCaulley/Fred O'Connor! Hell0 2-14(maybe) and the #1 Draft Choice in 2017! He got totally outcoached in the National Championship game against Auburn! The Dorks inability to do anything right strikes again!
angry.gif

Only reason Im not totally s**tting on this hire is that he doesnt have personnel control. But wait, Baalke does, so...oh nvm smh
I'm sickened. Kelly was a failure and a laughing stock in Philly. We'll probably keep the underperforming Kaep now. After 30 some years as a fan, i'm about done rooting for the 49ers. I'm going to keep an open mind for a bit for people to convince me how great he is. I also want to see who he has on his staff.
Of course we can't hire anyone that would bring the West Coast offense back.
f**k this owner and gm
wow when did we turn into the raiders?
Once again......

losing-it.gif

Can't tell you how pissed I am about this hiring! Players absolutely HATE him. He has NO control over a locker room. Remember when he was asked about not disciplining his players and his response was that they're grown men and shouldn't need to be told?????? And he doesn't really have any type of unique "system". He has an average offense that he likes to run at a high tempo. He's a speed freak on offense and zero idea of any other facet. Once the stigma of him running his plays quickly wore off and he slowed down, he was below mediocre. Why on earth are any of you happy about this?????!!!!! And now all this optimism about Kaepernick??????? YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE. Even under Harbaugh Kaepernick couldn't read a defense, Harbaugh just masked his flaws better. OMG, this franchise! Oh, btw, Baalke told us they already had a plan in place weeks ago. Bullsh#t! If so, Chip would've been hired long ago. Can't wait for you all whine about Kaepernick next year because you drank the Kool aid. He sucks! He has PROVEN that he has no aptitude for the pro game. Can't read a defense. Hangs on to the ball. STARES DOWN his first and ONLY read. I would rather have Manziel, and I'm not kidding.
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

OMFG...YOU CANT BE SERIOUS...U CANT BE FN SERIOUS
my good friend who's been a lifelong Eagles fan just texted me "sorry buddy"
3oFyDdT5XjPsPhvwpW.gif
w2W3SO5.jpg

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Whats w/ the seahawks helmet? (n)

Mrs likes them. I liked the NFC West over Carolina. I'll be changing it to Carolina here shortly. I just change the helmet to whom I am betting on in the playoffs. That said, I may stick with Carolina and Jerry. :cool: