49ers hire Chip Kelly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He has struggled against teams with quality defenses. He will beat lesser teams that do not have personnel to play to that tempo, but then again this year everybody was pretty much beating up on him.

It will be interesting and who knows, maybe he learned something.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
It's more the pace he plays at is the problem. College he has a endless roster of 20 year old interchangeable pieces so he can rest players for series to keep it fresh. NFL he's got a small roster of older beat up guys with huge drop offs if he tries to rest players. He has to slow the pace.
I also heard he won't have total roster control.

Still two wins a year for the Rams.

STILL 2 wins ??? That was supposed to happen this year too, wasn't it ???

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think this is a good hire for them. If anyone can get something out of Kaepernick, it's Kelly. Like the Eagles, he comes into a situation where they have some young talent. Wouldn't be surprised to see them turn it around.

I'm not sure that K-prick has a high enough football I.Q. to work at Chip Kelly's pace on offense....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's what I thought! ;) But the audience was silent. You could hear a pin drop.
Nah - I could here the chuckling. Now if you could have included this...
giphy.gif

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 29s29 seconds ago
As he plotted potential moves & his next @NFL stop, Chip Kelly was trying to figure out how to trade for/sign Colin Kaepernick. No need now.

Looks like our chances at getting Goff increased a little......I hope.
I heard the news today and my first reaction was, that another QB may fall to us.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
Loved him at Oregon but was surprised he did as well as he did at Philly. He's just dripping with arrogance and let's that get in the way of common sense. The 9ers will be better than they were this year (pretending our last game NEVER happened) but their ceiling won't even be the playoffs. As others have said, a good/fast defense, like we have now, will handle his offenses every time. His defenses?

upload_2016-1-14_19-43-47.jpeg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think kelly could be a decent coach, just made some interesting personnel decisions in philly that didn't pan out so well.

And there is no way Baalke gives up personnel decisions. Could this mean that he is on the way out?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/14/chip-kelly-san-francisco-49ers-nfl-divisional-preview

Chip Kelly, Take Two
San Francisco’s bold move to hire Chip Kelly leads to questions about how much the ex-Eagles coach learned in his first NFL job. Plus a look at divisional games, including one with two teams that are mirror images
by Jenny Vrentas

mmqb-kelly-harbaugh.jpg

Jim Harbaugh’s exit following the 2014 season opened the door—in a roundabout way—to the Niners hiring Chip Kelly this week.
Michael Zagaris/Getty Images

Earlier this month, two NFL franchises did the unexpected: They kept their head coaches. With the entire league watching, and expecting a move, the Colts made it work with Chuck Pagano, and the Saints found a way to keep Asshole Face.

So, why couldn’t the 49ers do that last year with Jim Harbaugh? That’s a complicated question, to which there isn’t a single answer, but it brought us to where we were Thursday afternoon—when the 49ers hired Chip Kelly.

They wanted a bold move, after a safe move (Jim Tomsula) that followed their last bold move (Harbaugh), and this is it. In the quest for a difference-making head coach, San Francisco took a gamble on Kelly. You could also ask the question, why will it be different this time—for Kelly, after his failed Eagles tenure, and for the 49ers, partnering with another offensive whiz who does not endear with his personality?

Practically speaking, whether this works out depends on two things:

1) Can Kelly rehabilitate Colin Kaepernick?

2) Will he learn from the mistakes he made as a first-time NFL head coach, without time in between to reflect?

There are reasons to be optimistic about the first point. Many coaches around the league harbor some annoyance about Kelly’s reputation as an innovator for things they believe other coaches are also doing, but most will acknowledge his aptitude to bring out the best in Kaepernick with his quarterback-friendly system.

The sixth-year quarterback has many physical hurdles to overcome this offseason—he’s had surgeries on his (non-throwing) shoulder, thumb and knee since his season ended in November—but he has the most physical talent and versatility of any quarterback Kelly has coached in the NFL (if you’re keeping score—Michael Vick, Nick Foles, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford).

Hearing a plan to salvage Kaepernick, who is signed by San Francisco through 2020 (albeit on a flexible contract that gives the team off-ramps each year), was no doubt top of conversation during the 49ers’ interviews with coaching candidates.

The second point may be more uncertain, and more important. Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie’s decree of needing a coach with “emotional intelligence” after firing Kelly will shadow him to his next job and could be a hurdle to winning over the San Francisco locker room. After three seasons in Philadelphia, Kelly still needs to prove he can adapt his collegiate approach to the pros, whether it be in how he deals with grown men vs. college kids, or the fact that his breakneck speed, perpetual motion practices may not work as well in the NFL, where seasons are longer, rosters are smaller and players are older.

His sports science methods kept his teams very healthy, but players, including tackle Lane Johnson, have spoken of the workload taking a toll by season’s end. And while Kelly will reunite with his trusted personnel exec Tom Gamble, he will have to work in harmony with 49ers GM Trent Baalke, which did not happen between Baalke and Harbaugh. The positive for Kelly is that Baalke having the personnel power could insulate Kelly from the same fate he suffered in Philly, where he took over roster control and was held accountable for it by Lurie when things went awry this season.

But when it comes to learning from mistakes, there’s something to be said for reflecting on what went wrong and how you can avoid those mistakes in the future. By getting another gig right away, Kelly may not have that chance. The two best, most recent examples of coaches who found success in their second go-around as NFL head coaches are Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick, who were fired from their first NFL head gigs and won multiple Super Bowls in their second.

And neither went straight from his first head-coaching job to his second. Coughlin was out of football for a year after being fired by the Jaguars, before the Giants hired him. Belichick was an assistant head coach and secondary coach for three seasons after being fired by the Browns.

Of course, there are examples both ways. Jon Gruden led the Bucs to a Super Bowl championship the season after Oakland let him go, though he was traded and not fired. And Andy Reid went straight from Philadelphia to Kansas City, and has taken the Chiefs to the playoffs in two of his first three years. But often times, when you are being immediately courted by another team after being fired, there isn’t the time or the necessity to learn from past mistakes.

“Sometimes when you are involved in a whirlwind business like the NFL is, there is no offseason, there is just a non-game playing season,” former Falcons coach Mike Smith said in December, after taking a year off from coaching and writing a book on leadership. “You get so caught up and so busy that you don’t necessarily do the evaluation at the depth that you need to do it to become a better coach, a better person. I think it is therapeutic to have an opportunity to sit back and do that evaluation.”

That’s not to say that Kelly hasn’t, or won’t. But nothing forces you to learn those lessons like you do when you’re humbled.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm not sure that K-prick has a high enough football I.Q. to work at Chip Kelly's pace on offense....
Perfect fit actually, or as close to perfect as he will find the NFL.
Accuracy issues may come up with seem throws, but, overall, this is very good news for Kapperdoodle.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/15/jeff-lurie-wins-big-with-the-chip-kelly-hire/

Jeff Lurie wins big with the Chip Kelly hire
Posted by Mike Florio on January 15, 2016, 10:20 AM EST

On one hand, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie probably doesn’t want to see former Eagles head coach Chip Kelly thrive elsewhere. On the other hand, Lurie should be thrilled that Kelly will immediate get the chance to do so.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Kelly has signed a four-year, $24 million deal to coach the 49ers. Given that Schefter reported three years ago that Kelly had signed a five-year, $32.5 million deal to coach the Eagles, Lurie has avoided millions in buyout obligation to Kelly.

Assuming the payout for each year reflects the average value of the deal (and assuming the numbers reported, which likely came from Kelly’s agent and not the teams, are even accurate), Lurie paid Kelly $6.5 million per year. If Kelly had taken the next two years off, he would have made $13 million from Lurie.

Now, he’ll still make $13 million. But $12 million will come from the 49ers, and the extra $1 million will come from Lurie.s ago.

There’s a chance that Kelly’s deal in San Francisco has been backloaded, giving him less from the 49ers now (and in turn more from Lurie) and more from the 49ers later. The temptation for chicanery surely arises in these situations, but there have been few if any instances of one team fighting with another team over a contract that was structured to take more money from the former employer.

Regardless, Kelly surely isn’t getting minimum wage for the next two years — which means that his ability to get another job right away will result in significant cash savings for the guy who fired him only 17 days ago.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Good hire by them. I think he'll get the most out of Kraper.. Hate to say it, but I think he will.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/15/jeff-lurie-wins-big-with-the-chip-kelly-hire/

Jeff Lurie wins big with the Chip Kelly hire
Posted by Mike Florio on January 15, 2016, 10:20 AM EST

On one hand, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie probably doesn’t want to see former Eagles head coach Chip Kelly thrive elsewhere. On the other hand, Lurie should be thrilled that Kelly will immediate get the chance to do so.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Kelly has signed a four-year, $24 million deal to coach the 49ers. Given that Schefter reported three years ago that Kelly had signed a five-year, $32.5 million deal to coach the Eagles, Lurie has avoided millions in buyout obligation to Kelly.

Assuming the payout for each year reflects the average value of the deal (and assuming the numbers reported, which likely came from Kelly’s agent and not the teams, are even accurate), Lurie paid Kelly $6.5 million per year. If Kelly had taken the next two years off, he would have made $13 million from Lurie.

Now, he’ll still make $13 million. But $12 million will come from the 49ers, and the extra $1 million will come from Lurie.s ago.

There’s a chance that Kelly’s deal in San Francisco has been backloaded, giving him less from the 49ers now (and in turn more from Lurie) and more from the 49ers later. The temptation for chicanery surely arises in these situations, but there have been few if any instances of one team fighting with another team over a contract that was structured to take more money from the former employer.

Regardless, Kelly surely isn’t getting minimum wage for the next two years — which means that his ability to get another job right away will result in significant cash savings for the guy who fired him only 17 days ago.

The internal rumor mill in the NFL from my trusted source has Pete Carrol coming back to LA next year where he lives and loves. His contract and Fishers run out at the same time.
SK can compete with PA for salary and all things equal, Carroll would love to be back home.
I believe this will happen personally and you can catalogue this note for this time next year. Then is when we get our OC. Just thinking of next season is not how SK thinks..

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The internal rumor mill in the NFL from my trusted source has Pete Carrol coming back to LA next year where he lives and loves. His contract and Fishers run out at the same time.
SK can compete with PA for salary and all things equal, Carroll would love to be back home.
I believe this will happen personally and you can catalogue this note for this time next year. Then is when we get our OC. Just thinking of next season is not how SK thinks..

Hope you are referring to the Chargers. Don't know if I could abide that gum-chewing chucklehead in blue and gold. :mad: Then again, winning is everything.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/nfl-coach-hiring...chip-kelly-hue-jackson-dirk-koetter-adam-gase

First Impressions on the Latest Coach Hirings
After the coach firings come the coach hirings. Here are my initial thoughts on the new men in charge
By Andrew Brandt

Doug Pederson — Eagles
doug-pederson-650-362.jpg

Drew Hallowell/Getty Images

Owner Jeffrey Lurie was clear in his criteria when dismissing Chip Kelly a week before the season ended: he wanted a coach that would be collaborative and communicative, reacting to what he just experienced with Chip Kelly’s disdainful treatment of Lurie confidante and VP Howie Roseman. Pederson, with history at the Eagles and a protégé of Andy Reid, will certainly be easy to work with. It is interesting that, three years after he left the team, Andy Reid is (again) exerting influence with the Eagles.

I have known Doug for 15 years, back to when I was vice president of the Packers and he was our amiable, reliable and football-savvy backup quarterback. He was not only Brett Favre’s understudy (who never played); he was his best friend, his golf (scratch) and hunting partner, and his eyes and ears on the sideline. Doug was with Brett when we learned of Brett’s father’s passing; he handed Brett the phone to hear the news from wife Deanna. Doug’s presence on the team was good for Brett and good for the Packers.

In negotiating player contracts, few were as enjoyable as the ones I did with Doug. For a few years there, at some point during the spring we would decide to bring back Doug as our backup, often because more established quarterbacks would not come to Green Bay (they knew Brett never got hurt and they had no chance to play). I would then call up Doug, who acted as his own agent, and tell him we wanted another one-year deal. He would think about it for a minute, then say, “Cool, let’s go!” We would work out a contract within a few minutes and he’d head north from Louisiana.

I cannot imagine anyone not liking Doug Pederson, although he has never walked in the shoes of an NFL head coach. I fully expect Roseman to step into the role of the “bad guy” with players on tough decisions, similar to the combination that served the Eagles well with former president Joe Banner and Reid.

Ben McAdoo — Giants
ben-mcadoo-new-york-giants.jpg

Photo: Julio Cortez/AP

Ben was hired to join Mike McCarthy’s staff in Green Bay in 2006 as our tight ends coach. That job is certainly not one that draws attention, but Ben caught my eye even in that limited role. He had a nice way of dealing with players; a calm and measured demeanor even with emotional players such as Jermichael Finley. Ben was also curious about learning all aspects of the football operation, asking me questions about the salary cap, player contracts and disciplinary options. It is nice to see Ben’s ascension, a good thing happening to a good guy.

Chip Kelly — 49ers
chip-kelly-650-392.jpg

Photo: Jared Wickerham/Getty Images

As readers of this space know, I have been an unabashed fan of Kelly and chalk up much of criticism about him to dinosaur-like thinking such as “we don’t do things like that around here!” Kelly just spent three years winning 26 games with Nick Foles, Mark Sanchez and Sam Bradford as his quarterbacks. Assuming Kelly is a fan of Colin Kaepernick—and that he does not pursue Bradford in free agency—Kaepernick must feel like Christmas morning every day. And regardless what you think of Kelly, the 49ers just became interesting and relevant again.

Hue Jackson — Browns
hue-jackson-650-362.jpg

Photo: Tony Dejak/AP

Jackson obviously made it clear to the new management that he was open and interested in accepting analytics into his coaching methods; time will tell if that acceptance wanes at some point. Jackson said no decision had been made about the future of Johnny Manziel in Cleveland, but that topic had to be question number one or two in the interview process and the Browns knew what they wanted the answer to be. I am not saying Manziel is gone; I am saying Jackson and the Browns know exactly what they are doing with Manziel.

Dirk Koetter — Bucs
dirk-koetter-650-392.jpg

Photo: Chris O'Meara/AP

I may be way off, but this seemed like a reactive hiring rather than a proactive one. There does not appear to be any evidence that the Bucs were going to promote Koetter from offensive coordinator to head coach before reports of Koetter drawing interest elsewhere on the head coaching market. Lovie Smith appears to be a casualty in the chase for Koetter.

Adam Gase — Dolphins
adam-gase-650-392.jpg

Photo: Ron Elkman/Getty Images

Owner Stephen Ross loves taking big swings and being first in line. The Dolphins were first to sign the NFL’s top free agent twice in recent years (Mike Wallace, Ndamokung Suh) and now won the race to sign this year’s hottest coaching free agent. Gase had his choice of positions, giving him and agent Jimmy Sexton extraordinary leverage. We will see if Gase can lead the Dolphins to being more than a team that forever seems to be “a year away.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Per rotoworld.

Mike Shanahan - OT - Free Agent

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Mike Shanahan was passed over for the 49ers' head-coaching job because he didn't want Colin Kaepernick.

49ers' Hall of Famers were calling the front office in support of Shanahan, and he appeared to be the favorite deep into the search. Things unraveled when Shanahan reportedly said he wanted the team to move on from Kaepernick and use its first-round pick on a new quarterback. GM Trent Baalke and the higher-ups in the organization believe Kap can be "salvaged," which led to Chip Kelly getting the job instead of Shanahan. Kap is the favorite to start Week 1.

Related: 49ers