4 Rams on roster bubble heading into preseason Week 3/Week 4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
He has to practice his defensive calls, align everyone properly and take command of the defense for the first time in quite a while.

I’m sorry, but does this dumbass not think WP has had him practicing his calls and taking command?

Seriously?

How bout hundreds of snaps, huh?

Dumbass

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wonder if Hodge has a chance to sneak into the roster? Hes been the best WR for us in preseason and he has some pretty good college highlights. Its hard to judge the WRs with such poor QB play. Hes probably one for the PS though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJ4Rgs49sk

I am definitely not writing him off. Dude has flat balled his @$$ off and he's got good natural hands and an ability to pluck & highpoint the ball. On top of good size... That's the kind of skills that make coaches consider getting creative to make room for you.

His routes need work though, obviously.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
But Pharoh has been in there and hasn't looked good.
Just my own theory, but I think Pharoh would never have fair caught the Balt. punt had it been a regular season game.

At the time, I wondered if the coaches sent him out there and said, “go catch one, get the yips out, but don’t return it, we don’t want to risk injury.” This preseason, Pharoh has had zero kick returns and two punt returns— both fair catches.

Saw Natson’s highlight reel, and he looks good. But my hunch remains that Rams have already made their decision, and JoJo has no chance to beat out Pharoh.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
39 snaps for Hemingway. Just mind boggling man. They were doing everything they could to get him to show something good.

The Ramowl

Starter
You know what feels good ? Having the absolute certainty that this coaching staff will make the best choices.

Now, I have just watched the Texans game, but from what I've seen, Allen is playing pretty well. That 13 min drive in the 3rd was a nice thing to see. I would feel way more secure with RG3 on the bench though, I think he grew up, he is very talented and he certainly has a lot of respect for McVay.

I think Hodge will stay, he gets a lot of reps, goes hard and I feel like this is something this staff wants on the team. I don't worry too much about him though

I am SO pumped for this season, it's ridiculous

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
that's the only thing keeping him on the team because he still doesn't look like a good wr. but damn does he look good returning the ball.

They need to set up some trick plays where he runs the ball out of the backfield.
He's pretty impressive.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think your eyes have greatly deceived you if you saw that.

Then it must have been Steve Mitchell #86 c didn’t bother to double check. It hit him(we)in the chest in 2nd hf. Mitchell won’t make the practice squad. Does not bring much to the table.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's interesting, since Thomas didn't even play an offensive snap in the game. Not sure if he played at all. He's made the roster.

Like I quoted just now. Must have been Mitchell, really thought it was 88 (86). It was a flat out drop & just didn’t bother to double check which I would normally do.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/nfl-rams-roster-bubble-preseason-saints-players/

Rams roster bubble: 4 players who need to step up vs. Saints
By: Cameron DaSilva

Roster cuts are coming which means 37 players from each team will be left without jobs by 4 p.m. ET on Saturday. The Los Angeles Rams have just a few days to decide which 37 to part ways with, not all of which will be easy choices.

There’s still one preseason game left to play on Thursday night, which will be huge for a handful of guys on the roster bubble. Certainly, there are more than just these four on the fringe of the 53-man squad, but these specific players have to perform well this week.

Besides John Kelly, no player has made more of a name for himself than Hodge. The undrafted rookie has regularly made big plays, be it his touchdown catch against the Ravens or his 47-yard reception against Oakland. The kid simply knows how to come down with the ball and it’s caused the coaching staff to give him another look.

Unfortunately, the Rams are stacked at wide receiver with Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods atop the depth chart. Behind them are Josh Reynolds and Mike Thomas, the latter of whom is the player Hodge could possibly overtake.

Thomas won’t be out there Thursday against the Saints, which gives Hodge the big stage to prove himself. A big game could push him ahead of Thomas.

OT Darrell Williams/Cornelius Lucas

Williams has been terrible this preseason, struggling in pass protection as well as run blocking. Jamil Demby has seen time at tackle opposite Joseph Noteboom, which isn’t good news for Williams’ chances of making the final roster.

With the Rams resting their starters and presumably a large chunk of their primary backups, there’s a chance neither Noteboom nor Demby will play Thursday night. That’ll leave Williams and Cornelius Lucas as the top tackles on the field.

If they can’t protect Brandon Allen and Luis Perez, they’ll both be on the chopping block. As it stands right now, they’re probably on the outside looking in regardless. Thursday will be crucial for both.

LB Travin Howard

Howard made his 2018 debut on Saturday, playing 22 snaps on defense. The rookie injured his ankle early in camp and took a while to get back, which hurt his chances of making the final roster right off the bat. He’s an athletic linebacker with good range, but the Rams haven’t been given much time to find a position for him.

He has experience at safety and linebacker in the way that Mark Barron does, but are 22 snaps and a few weeks of practice enough to grant him a spot on the 53-man squad? Probably not, especially with the Rams having Barron, Cory Littleton, Ramik Wilson, Micah Kiser and Bryce Hager all likely to make the team.

NT Sebastian Joseph-Day

The Rams’ talent on the defensive line is well known, headlined by Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Ndamukong Suh. Ethan Westbrooks has been dominant in the preseason, John Franklin-Myers has flashed at multiple spots and Tanzel Smart appears on track to make the team.

That could leave Joseph-Day on the roster if the Rams choose to go heavy at outside linebacker and a bit lighter on the defensive line. He’s flashed a few times in the preseason and has the advantage of being a rookie draft pick, but with so many strong players up front, he could get lost in the shuffle.

Assuming he plays Thursday, Joseph-Day needs to have a good outing to solidify his place on the team before Saturday’s cuts happen.