4 Rams on roster bubble heading into preseason Week 3/Week 4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would think the one Listed maybe on the bubble is Thomas, and I don't really believe that.
A list made up of names like Darryl Williams would more believable.
Darrell Williams caught another break this week when our new long term RT Rob Havenstien came up with an Ankle injury & will not start Saturday.

DL- Dom Easley > T.Smart, C.Clements, M.Murphy, L.Hyeamang & O.Bryant.

TE- T.Hemingway vs. J.Mundt - seems to me that the hands of Mundt are much better than TH's but both are not consistent blockers. Hemingway speed has not been used in the deep middle area yet ?? These 2 should be observed Saturday.

RB- Justin Davis injury came @ a bad time. He is clearly is the best runner behind Gurley & his backfield blocking has improved greatly but the rookie Kelly has remained healthy & appears to be the better third down or spell Gurley back @ the moment. Brown has not looked strong or good in pre season & he should get major work Saturday in order to cement his position as the #2 RB.

DB- Nate Holley & Marqui Christain have looked the best of all the reserve DB's thus far can Holley take a roster spot from CB Hatfield or S Isaiah Johnson?

WR's- I have enjoyed watching JoJo Natson, Khadarel Hodge & Steven Mitchell much more than Thomas/ Cooper & Reynolds.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
that's the only thing keeping him on the team because he still doesn't look like a good wr. but damn does he look good returning the ball.

He did look good returning the ball. Before the playoff game where he almost single-handedly cost us a tight game. I know the defense crumbled in the run game, which has been addressed, but people forget that Pharoh had a rook game there too.

Which normally is something that isn't too big a deal. BUT has he looked good in preseason thus far on returns? Not to my eye. In fact he's looked shaky, to include calling fair catch with dudes 20 yards away from him. It's not a huge concern right now, but it is a situation where there's a young player who badly needs a big game to cement himself.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the author of that article needs to understand what being on the bubble is.
Thomas is going nowhere and Mannion has locked up the #2 job, even if by default.
Would need either or both to have an atrocious game #3 to even possibly become a bubble player week 4

Ram65

Legend
Justin Davis looked good for a short time. The injury and Kelly playing well puts him on the bubble. Never thought Mike Thomas was on the bubble. I like Hodge and Natson to the practice squad. Easley being cut would be a surprise but, because of the position switch you never know. I think give him a chance because when healthy he is a good player. Hemingway made some blocks but, the drops could hurt him.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
DB- Nate Holley & Marqui Christain have looked the best of all the reserve DB's thus far can Holley take a roster spot from CB Hatfield or S Isaiah Johnson?

Didn't like Johnson in the past. He looked a little better so far. Holly played well later in the game last week. Can he play as well against better competition. Interesting to see what happens.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Only one that might be in trouble is Davis and that could be him going on IR. Mannion is only in danger if we trade for another backup.

I agree. Mannion makes me nervous, though. I need to see more. If he looks game -one- bad, the Rams may scour the wires for a comfortable fit.

Or Maybe the greater of two Blessings

Fixed it Dieter.:sneaky: I agree with your sentiment.

Forgot to mention Pharoh as well. If he loses that return job watch out.

I do worry that he caught Tavonyips Syndrome.

I would think the one Listed maybe on the bubble is Thomas, and I don't really believe that.
A list made up of names like Darryl Williams would more believable.

Surprising this list does NOT include at least one OL (Williams, Blythe or Lucas) and maybe the biggest camp disappointments this year- Hemingway and Mannion.

DL- Dom Easley > T.Smart, C.Clements, M.Murphy, L. Hyeamang & O.Bryant.

Lord Hyeamang takes umbridge at your insult! He hereby challenges Sir Bonifay to a joust, to regain his honor! A fight to the death, good sir!!

The first day of September in the clearing of the meadow. 0700 hours. (Though do be a good chap and bring a sack lunch, in case inclimate weather delays proceedings)

fearsomefour

Legend
Darrell Williams caught another break this week when our new long term RT Rob Havenstien came up with an Ankle injury & will not start Saturday.

DL- Dom Easley > T.Smart, C.Clements, M.Murphy, L.Hyeamang & O.Bryant.

TE- T.Hemingway vs. J.Mundt - seems to me that the hands of Mundt are much better than TH's but both are not consistent blockers. Hemingway speed has not been used in the deep middle area yet ?? These 2 should be observed Saturday.

RB- Justin Davis injury came @ a bad time. He is clearly is the best runner behind Gurley & his backfield blocking has improved greatly but the rookie Kelly has remained healthy & appears to be the better third down or spell Gurley back @ the moment. Brown has not looked strong or good in pre season & he should get major work Saturday in order to cement his position as the #2 RB.

WR's- I have enjoyed watching JoJo Natson, Khadarel Hodge & Steven Mitchell much more than Thomas/ Cooper & Reynolds.
I don't know that Williams spending time at RT is good news for Williams.
I don't mind the signing of Havenstein but I don't love it. He is an average (or slightly better than) RT at this point with a habit of foot/ankle injuries.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Didn't like Johnson in the past. He looked a little better so far. Holly played well later in the game last week. Can he play as well against better competition. Interesting to see what happens.
I seen an improvement in IJ myself. His tackling is better & seems much more comfortable in this Wade D now. I am thinking that the Rams Org knows that this will be Joyner's last season as a Ram & must find a future starter IF possible. Replacing Cody Davis is not a tall order not really sure that Christian or Countess are better than Davis. They should be now with both having their 3rd TC under their belts & soon to add their 3rd Pre Season.

I like both Nate Holley & Isaiah Johnson as future replacements as our 3rd & 4th safeties next season, but I do not see any present prospects as our starting safety to pair with Johnson III in 2019. Other than Aqib Talib who will be 33 yrs old might consider moving into a safety post.For that to happen a corner will need to step up either Sam Shields or Troy Hill.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cooks
Woods
Kupp
Cooper
Reynolds
Thomas.....
Maybe someone could sneak that sixth spot from Thomas but I don't see it.

Who is the return guy ?? It’s not Tavon Austin.

Yeah - I could see Cooper Kup taking over the job - lol — He is not worth risking getting hurt unless it is a must game & injury.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I couldn't have said it better myself, however Davis has had some issues with ball security.
Yeah... IIRC, Davis had two fumbles his first outing (last year), and then it never happened again. Made me hopeful that it was a problem that he managed to correct.

Hard to imagine how Rams find room for four backs (Gurley, Brown, Kelly, Davis). But yeah, IF Davis has fixed the ball security issue... and IF he gets over the hammy.... I think Davis has a future in this league.

Edit:
Just looked up Justin Davis' preseason stats for 2017 and 2018. All combined, he's got 43 rush for 188 yards, a 4.3 average. Couldn't find fumbles listed, but I think the had two fumbles in his first game and none after that (somebody confirm this?).

As for regular season; his career stat line is one carry for one yard. So if he never plays again in the regular season, well... he can tell his grandkids he 's got that one yard at least....!

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Natson has gotten a lot of looks thus far on returns and has seemed to be one tackle away from big plays on many of them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to imagine how Rams find room for four backs (Gurley, Brown, Kelly, Davis). But yeah, IF Davis has fixed the ball security issue... and IF he gets over the hammy.... I think Davis has a future in this league.

Me too. He's shown enough to warrant an IR stowage if he's dinged up. The guys who have not shown enough growth are the ones who are at risk IMO. Hemingway tops that list to my eye at least.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I would imagine if someone stands out on special teams he's have the inside track to a spot. Isn't Mike Thomas one of the key special teams guys?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Natson has gotten a lot of looks thus far on returns and has seemed to be one tackle away from big plays on many of them.
Normally I don't rule out a player because of height/weight, but Jojo is really pushing the boundary here. Jojo looks like he has decent speed and good instincts....but the dude is 5'7" and 153 pounds. Maybe I should re-watch some of Jojo's returns. I guess I've just assumed Pharoh is a lock and the Rams are giving Jojo reps to protect Pharoh from injury.

We all know Pharoh had a horrific game against ATL, but before that he was a Pro-Bowler, so it's hard to imagine how Jojo could beat him out.

fearsomefour

Legend

Yeah - I could see Cooper Kup taking over the job - lol — He is not worth risking getting hurt unless it is a must game & injury.
Cooper
Was in the pro bowl last year as a return guy

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would imagine if someone stands out on special teams he's have the inside track to a spot. Isn't Mike Thomas one of the key special teams guys?
Yes he has been but in these two pre season games 6th corner Taurean Nixon has been used effectively thus far as a gunner. Mike Thomas has concluded his 3rd TC as a Ram & soon will have his 3rd PS too I would expect Thomas to show something in this 2018 pre season. I have not seen it. 5th rd'er Rookie ILB Micah Kiser has also done well on ST's

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Normally I don't rule out a player because of height/weight, but Jojo is really pushing the boundary here. Jojo looks like he has decent speed and good instincts....but the dude is 5'7" and 153 pounds. Maybe I should re-watch some of Jojo's returns. I guess I've just assumed Pharoh is a lock and the Rams are giving Jojo reps to protect Pharoh from injury.

You might be right there idk. But Pharoh has been in there and hasn't looked good, and when it comes to returns that size thing isn't the primary consideration. Plus it's not like Pharoh's a big dude, he's thick for his size but anyway. Right now if I'm Pharoh I am hell bound on having a big night on returns to remind folks what I can do.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/24/nfl-rams-texans-preseason-players-saturday-week-3/

5 Rams who need to play well against the Texans on Saturday
By: Cameron DaSilva

Time is winding down for players to prove themselves to the coaching staff with only two preseason games left on the schedule. As a result, the intensity has been turned up a notch, particularly for those first-year starters and guys fighting for roster spots.

For the Rams, there are a handful of guys that fall into those two categories, many of whom have to play well against the Texans on Saturday to impress the coaching staff.

Here are five players who need to step up.

OLB Samson Ebukam

Ebukam obviously isn’t competing for a roster spot as he’ll be one of the two starters at outside linebacker, but his performance in this game will be crucial. The Rams have expressed some concern about the pass rush by bringing in Junior Galette with Matt Longacre and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo injured, so any semblance of confidence Ebukam can give the coaching staff will go a long way.

Ideally, he’ll get to the quarterback once or twice, generate consistent pressure off the right side and show that he can win one-on-one with his pass-rush moves. After all, he’s going to see plenty of chances on the edge with so much attention being paid to Ndamukong Suh, Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald, when he returns.

RB Malcolm Brown

Brown, on the other hand, is fighting for a roster spot – although, he’s the front-runner to win the battle. With Todd Gurley resting once again, Brown should see the bulk of the carries in this one. Up to this point, it’s been the John Kelly show, and he’ll continue to get touches against Houston, but the Rams have to figure out what to do with Brown.

Is he deserving of a spot over the electric but injured Justin Davis? Does he do any one thing better than Kelly? Brown is a safe player and one McVay said “you win with,” but he doesn’t bring a spark to the offense and isn’t any better between the tackles than Kelly.

He has to show he can rip off some big gains and earn a spot on the roster before the Rams turn their eyes toward a more dynamic player like Davis.

WR Mike Thomas

Behind the three starters, Josh Reynolds, Pharoh Cooper and Thomas look like the guys Los Angeles will keep at wide receiver. Reynolds and Cooper are locks, but Thomas doesn’t have that same security. His downfield receiving ability is undeniable and he has good speed, but KhaDarel Hodge has broken out this preseason with a handful of nice catches.

Thomas is now tasked with fending off Hodge and Steven Mitchell, who cooked a Raiders cornerback in the red zone before Brandon Allen airmailed it out of bounds. Numbers aren’t everything in the preseason – in fact, they’re hardly the most important factor in a player’s roster chances – but Hodge and Mitchell have both looked strong in their route running and receiving ability.

Expect Thomas to get increased snaps this week as the Rams sort out his situation, but he has to capitalize on his opportunities with big plays and consistent hands.

CB Dominique Hatfield

With Kevin Peterson suffering a torn ACL, Hatfield doesn’t have a whole lot of competition at cornerback. Unfortunately, he’s still on the outside looking in right now thanks to Sam Shields and Troy Hill. Shields has looked somewhat shaky this preseason, particularly when it comes to tackling, and he’s not a lock to make the roster.

Hill, by the same token, hasn’t been great, either, thus opening the door for Hatfield to potentially sneak onto the final roster. There’s a chance the Rams keep six cornerbacks and four safeties, especially with Shields’ concussion history. If that’s the case, Hatfield will almost certainly make the cut.

He needs a strong showing against the Texans’ wide receivers on Saturday after playing relatively well in the first two preseason games.

ILB Cory Littleton

Mark Barron probably won’t play before Week 1, raising major questions about the Rams’ linebacker group up to this point. Littleton has yet to take a snap, either, while Ramik Wilson has looked pretty good all offseason. Littleton will most likely start next to Barron against the Raiders, so knocking off some rust this weekend will be key.

He has to practice his defensive calls, align everyone properly and take command of the defense for the first time in quite a while. A strong performance from him will ease the minds of McVay, Wade Phillips and Joe Barry, who are putting their faith in Littleton this year. He has to show he can handle the added workload in the middle of the defense.