4 Rams on roster bubble heading into preseason Week 3/Week 4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20..._medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail-most-popular

4 Rams on roster bubble heading into preseason Week 3
By: Andrew Ortenberg

The preseason is beginning to wind to a close, and soon the Los Angeles Rams will have a series of tough calls to make. The roster will need to be trimmed nearly in half in order to get to 53 by cut-down day.

Here are four notable Rams who are in danger of not making the team if they don’t step it up over the next couple of weeks.

1. RB Justin Davis

Davis flashed in the first preseason game, but a hamstring injury has set him back. Rookie John Kelly’s strong preseason has likely pushed him into lock status, and Davis’ fate will likely be determined by how many running backs the Rams opt to keep. For reasons that aren’t entirely clear, Malcolm Brown seems to still be well ahead of Davis on the depth chart.

The extent of Davis’ injury is unknown, but getting back on the field soon will be vital to his roster chances. If he can get back in time to make an impression in at least one of the final two games, he should have a very good shot at making the team.

2. DT Dominique Easley

Just activated from the PUP list, Easley doesn’t have much time to make up lost ground. Easley missed all of 2017 with a torn ACL, and as such, he’s never played for Sean McVay. While Easley has been recovering, the defensive line has gotten significantly more talented around him. A former first-round pick, Easley has the talent to make an impact, but his roster spot isn’t guaranteed.

Easley is going to resume practicing this week, but it’s unclear if he’ll be able to play in the remaining preseason games. At this point, it seems unlikely he suits up, and he’ll be one of the biggest names to look out for on roster cut-down day.

3. WR Mike Thomas

Thomas entered the offseason firmly on the roster bubble, but has been making a strong case so far. Despite poor quarterback play, he’s managed to look good in the preseason and the coaching staff is reportedly very high on him. As such, he’s probably put some distance between himself and the slew of other young receivers vying for the final roster spot and slots on the practice squad.

That’s assuming the Rams keep six receivers, as the five ahead of him seem to all be locks. Still, despite appearing to have the advantage, it wouldn’t be a total shock if Thomas is ultimately left on the outside looking in. The competition is so crowded between Thomas, Fred Brown, Steven Mitchell, KhaDarel Hodge, and JoJo Natson, and all of them have flashed at some point. Who gets the final spot will be one of the most interesting things to watch on September 1st.

4. Sean Mannion

It might be beating a dead horse at this point, but it’s worth pointing out that the Rams’ backup quarterback situation is far from settled. Once thought to be a lock to backup Jared Goff in 2018, Mannion is no longer certain to make the roster due to uninspiring preseason play.

Current third-stringer Brandon Allen put some heat to Mannion’s feet with a strong first game but regressed heavily last week. Mannion is probably still the favorite, but it won’t be at all surprising if Allen leapfrogs him, and the next two weeks will crucial in determining how it all works out.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
McVay already stated that Dominique Easley will be playing to start the regular season, saying that their goal is to have him ready to play in the season opener.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only one that might be in trouble is Davis and that could be him going on IR. Mannion is only in danger if we trade for another backup.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hemmingway better step it up and play with a little more hustle and quit dropping balls or he'll be looking for a job.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Davis' injury lingers I would IR him.

Easley on the other hand is on his last chance with the Rams, he needs to be healthy so if he struggles outside they're going to cut him, and if he gets injured again it'll be an injury settlement/cut.

Thomas' teams ability really gives him some security but he's not a sure thing if they like some of their other gunner options and he doesn't show enough development as a receiver. His routes are much improved but those hands, sure would be nice to see him have a big game catching the ball.

Mannion's advantage is knowledge of the offense. I don't think Allen has that great a grasp of things, IMO it's probably a rudimentary knowledge given his performance with clock management and blitz pickups. But I do think Mannion is far from safe and this one isn't a done deal yet.

How they missed Hemingway (as @bubbaramfan pointed out) I have no idea. The TE depth options--barring big performances in the next two games--would be cut in favor of another OL if I were doing it. As it stands right now I'd go with Higs/Everette/Mundt. If Everette isn't ready then some lucky underperforming option gets a temporary stay of execution. IMO they need to look at FA options out there at TE, scour that list. I'd at least work Fleener out and in the next two games would feature the F out of the other guys who look like cuts right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Forgot to mention Pharoh as well. If he loses that return job watch out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Forgot to mention Pharoh as well. If he loses that return job watch out.

that's the only thing keeping him on the team because he still doesn't look like a good wr. but damn does he look good returning the ball.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
My takes:

Top 5 wr are (probably) locks: Cooks, Kupp, Woods, JR, Pharoh. To me, WR #6 is a two-man race between Thomas and Hodge. Article in OP claims Brown and Mitchell have “flashed”. Huh? If so, I haven’t seen it. JoJo is okay but won’t lose out to Pharoh. So— I say Thomas holds onto #6 spot UNLESS Hodge has yet another big game, making the choice difficult.

Hemingway has looked awful to me. I definitely could see Mundt winning the #3 job unless Ernest (er, Tamarick) shows us something.

My favorite backup RB was Davis. Such a shame he got that injury.

I thought Easley was safe?

I hope Mannion looks good in practice with the “real” playbook. If nothing else, Mannion needs to improve his body language... too often he’s got that “somebody pissed on my lunch” look.

Sept.10= Christmas morning. Hurry up already!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
My takes:

Top 5 wr are (probably) locks: Cooks, Kupp, Woods, JR, Pharoh. To me, WR #6 is a two-man race between Thomas and Hodge. Article in OP claims Brown and Mitchell have “flashed”. Huh? If so, I haven’t seen it. JoJo is okay but won’t lose out to Pharoh. So— I say Thomas holds onto #6 spot UNLESS Hodge has yet another big game, making the choice difficult.

Hemingway has looked awful to me. I definitely could see Mundt winning the #3 job unless Ernest (er, Tamarick) shows us something.

My favorite backup RB was Davis. Such a shame he got that injury.

I thought Easley was safe?

I hope Mannion looks good in practice with the “real” playbook. If nothing else, Mannion needs to improve his body language... too often he’s got that “somebody ticked on my lunch” look.

Sept.10= Christmas morning. Hurry up already!

I couldn't have said it better myself, however Davis has had some issues with ball security.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Only one that might be in trouble is Davis and that could be him going on IR. Mannion is only in danger if we trade for another backup.

I concur Davis on IR could happen and many would be happy if the Rams traded for a backup QB like RG3 for example, but I could see the Rams keeping both Mannion & Allen. I realize there are other positions, but if they added someone else, they might have to keep Allen because he's knows the offense. IMO, Mannion's play in the next two games should determine his fate.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would think the one Listed maybe on the bubble is Thomas, and I don't really believe that.
A list made up of names like Darryl Williams would more believable.