4 guys that can change our fortune

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gurley, Goff, Austin, Quinn...

Sure, we can add other players to this list, but I don't think anyone would argue these guys are considered top players on our roster and we did not see elite play from them in 2016.

Gurley is just one season removed from being among "the top RB's" in the league.

Goff, drafted #1 overall, just finished his rookie season.

Austin has shown flashes of brilliance, albeit far too infrequent, in an offense that rarely showed flashes of anything.

Quinn just turned 27, after 2 injury plagued seasons, remains in his prime and just 2 seasons removed from top player status in the whole league.

Point being... we sucked last year. But, our best players didn't contribute much. That's a whole lot of team-performance upside sitting there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I truly believe in a rebirth for Tavon Austin under this regime much like Isaac Bruce in 1999 when they brought Mike Martz back I believe this regime will utilize Austin's talents better and he will be much like DeSean Jackson was for the Redskins under the Wunderkind McVay.

Goff must be better because if not, it's another lost season for the Horns. Goff seems more confident and is handling things much better plus with the likes Olson, LaFleur & McVay, Goff has a much better support group in place and a few extra weapons as well.

The offensive line will be better so Todd Gurley will be better too. Plus Gurley understands now, he must be dedicated to his craft and not hamburgers at Carl's Jr.

Quinn will produce if not injured that is where I have concerns I hope Quinn can stay healthy so the Rams can ease Samson Ebukam into taking over the position.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I truly believe in a rebirth for Tavon Austin under this regime much like Isaac Bruce in 1999 when they brought Mike Martz back I believe this regime will utilize Austin's talents better and he will be much like DeSean Jackson was for the Redskins under the Wunderkind McVay.

Goff must be better because if not, it's another lost season for the Horns. Goff seems more confident and is handling things much better plus with the likes Olson, LaFleur & McVay, Goff has a much better support group in place and a few extra weapons as well.

The offensive line will be better so Todd Gurley will be better too. Plus Gurley understands now, he must be dedicated to his craft and not hamburgers at Carl's Jr.

Quinn will produce if not injured that is where I have concerns I hope Quinn can stay healthy so the Rams can ease Samson Ebukam into taking over the position.

Exactly why I could see this team taking more than 1 step forward.

Ram65

Legend
A healthy Robert Quinn is weapon on defense. He gets sacks and fumbles. That 2013 season 19 sacks and 7 fumbles with one returned for a TD. You can't expect that kind of production this year coming back from injury. I do think standing up should help his back some. A return to double digit sacks and some turnovers is doable. Combine a healthy Quinn with Donald, Barwin and the rest of the front seven and offenses will be reeling.

Goff and Gurley combination. They can take pressure off each the other. McVay will find the best way to attack the defense week to week. Goff should be able to make most of the right reads and play adjustments. Making defenses respect the pass will open up the run for Gurley. A much improved offensive line will help both players.

Is Tavon Austin the wild card?

I don't know for sure. Rich Eisen asked McVay if the offense was going to be run through Austin. Of course, McVay deflected a direct answer and talked about how Tavon is working with team as much as he can with the injured wrist. You have to expect the Rams to go back to the 2015 play calling for Tavon Austin with jet sweeps, fakes and other running plays. Also, expect Tavon to stretch the field going deep more often. I think he can beat anyone deep. Having him as a deep threat also opens up the middle for the TEs and other.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Austin has shown flashes of brilliance, albeit far too infrequent, in an offense that rarely showed flashes of anything.

Recognizing brilliance in that offense is like trying to recognize a runway model during a typhoon.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
is like trying to recognize a runway model during a typhoon.

But I believe I could still do that!
giphy.gif

Last edited:

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'd put Whitworth on that list right behind Goff.

LOT is now the second most important position on a football team and was the big FA acquistion by McVay.

I would have liked to have kept Grob around for depth, as he would be the best backup LOT in the league. However, the new coaching staff wanted him gone and I'm in no position to question that move

Might be a preveiw of coming events as "Fisher picks" either perform or quickly get replaced and I am looking at Austin, with the ridiculous $$$ contract, and the underperforming RB position.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think, and it's been said, 3/4 of these guy's problems can be directly attributed to the O-Line play!! Quinn's problems where obviously health related, But under Wade's scheme's, like most of us, I expect Quinn to thrive!
GO RAMS!
addon.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
Coaches matter quite a bit. When the LA Kings were coached by Terry Murray, Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick were all considered pretty good players.

When coached under Daryl Sutter Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick became the best in their position. Even though they've fallen, they're often ranked in the top 3 in their position, and depending on who ranks them, can still be considered #1. That's a coach getting a lot more from his players than a previous coach. It took him 6 months for that to happen (he was hired in December, and they won the cup that June). McVay can do that in my opinion.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Coaches matter quite a bit. When the LA Kings were coached by Terry Murray, Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick were all considered pretty good players.

When coached under Daryl Sutter Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick became the best in their position. Even though they've fallen, they're often ranked in the top 3 in their position, and depending on who ranks them, can still be considered #1. That's a coach getting a lot more from his players than a previous coach. It took him 6 months for that to happen (he was hired in December, and they won the cup that June). McVay can do that in my opinion.
I completely agree, ' Worst to First', in the Division at least, would not surprise me at all! And I'm not being a "Homer" when I say that!!(y):D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I suspect what will change our fortunes is 22 guys all on the same page and executing a scheme that doesn't suck. Coaching is the key IMO, and to an additional extent it's important the Rams are careful and patient with McVay and grow him into the elite coach they hoped he'd become.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Center - John Sullivan. If he's injured and out for the season, Rams better have an All-Star Center to back him up or else defenses will go through the turn-stiles right down the middle thru Jared Goff.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000818613/article/posthype-allstars-nine-guys-set-for-late-breakout

Alec Ogletree, LB, Los Angeles Rams: Anyone who watched the new season of Amazon's "All of Nothing" should gain an appreciation for Ogletree's leadership skills. It feels like he's been in the league forever, but the 25-year-old should be just hitting his prime. His heady understanding of the game is a great match for new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who should bring out the best in a lot of Rams defenders. (Robert Quinn, who's had trouble staying on the field since nearly winning Defensive Player of the Year in 2013, is another candidate to tick up under Phillips.)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

austin can only make a difference if woods and kupp step up and make plays. austin is not the kind of wr that can take over a game even when he's triple teamed. he needs space to work his magic.