4 guys that can change our fortune

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gurley and Quinn have done it before...change multiple games and fortunes...

I haven't really seen it in TA or Goff....and I'm not talking about one or 2 games...multiple games

I went to the Chargers game a few years back . What I know about Tavon is he is an athlete!! In college they list certain players that way. His size is my only concern. Tavon Austin as much as I hated the trade up for him & his new huge contract. He is a game changer.
He can bring it to the house at almost anytime. A defense always have to know where he is going to line up. Sean McVay will find those spot from those pays you say he does not do on a consistent basis.
The Rams don't just pay a player the money he got by not being a special player.
---Did you see the McVay & Steve Smith talk about him ?? Smith said glad there was a hold on the play against us. The Rams actually ?? Well almost had a 9-6 record easily. That Baltimore game when Case had concussion & the leg missed a field goal once again. Cost me a lot of money. Anyway The Rams game against the Chargers he got them in field goal range.I think he might have scored ?? Britt & that S. Hill were intercepted.

My point is Tavon can score in multiple situations, & will make the offense much better.

At least 8 TD's for Tavon Austin this season. He will be top 3 in all-pupurose yards.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
[QUOTE ="bnw, post: 913861, member: 4467"]It looks like Quinn is no longer able to rush in the manner he was successful a few years ago. Without pressure from the ends Brockers and Donald will not get the sacks.

Goff, no one really knows. Same for Austin. Though in Austin's case we know he can't carry an offense.

Gurley is a huge question. 2015 version? 2016 version? He looked mentally checked out of games last season.

Ok, so a little more of why I think you should step away from the ledge as opposed to just poo-pooing.

Quinn is as healthy as he's been in the last few years, according to him, he's at 100%, and in the best ranked scheme with a coach who knows how to best utilize his elite talent while keeping him from getting ridden like a bull.

Personally, I think easley will get more sacks than brockers.

Goff, the coaches know, and by all accounts, players and coaches, he's exceeded expectations in camp and unlike last year, the rams have reason to believe in this guy.

Gurley WOULD be a huge question mark had he not dazzled as a rookie behind a question mark line, qb, OC, enteire coaching staff for that matter, and receiving corp. All of which has been hugely improved and already seen paying off. If fisher was still the coach, talking about how boras will improve this year and grobs light seems to have flickered on, then I'd be worried.[/QUOTE]

Quinn has a passion to be great(D' Farr interview). He has lost 15#'s & should be a lot faster. He will also be able to just rush the passer without run containment & going straight up against a LT .

Tavon - I've already stated my case . He is one of the best all-purpose players in the NFL. McVay will find spots to give him the ball with space to go.

Goff - #1 player drafted last season. He gets the reins . Will see how he maneuvers this high speed Beefy offense?? He has a solid team on the sidelines to help guide him through the game.

Gurley is serious about this season. He has worked his butt off. His speed is up. He is totally cleared from his knee injury. McVay has talked highly of him. He works hard in practice, & always likes to take a practice rep to the house. Gore is a type of RB, I see him being like. Gurley has been doing real well in his pass blocking & hS good hands out of the backfield. He will be a nice outlet at times for Goff. This will help open up the offense & keep the chains moving.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The thing McVay keeps bringing up is how Goff stays in the pocket & can take a hit while keeping his eyes down field. This & a better understanding from the offensive line will only allow Goff more time. Add the additions of Whitmore & Sullivan as veteran leaders. Plus both Brown & Bug Rob going into there 3rd year. Big Rob being healthy as well is a huge lift. He missed everything last year only to start game 1 at RT.
Big Rob is 6'7 playing guard. He will keep a pocket & Goff is 6'5 and has quick feet & release. Add Woods & Kupp plus Thomas & P. Copper going into there 2nd year. Should be nice.
The 2 new TE's make real good targets for 3rd downs. If you watch Senior Bowl Everett does a good job sitting in between a zone defense. It's the little things. Reminds me of the old days of a button Hook. You can't stop it. Timing,ball placement , & knowledge of the spot the Reciver turns.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
TA has taken over multiple games, just not in a while. Go back to his rookie season and dude was lighting it up.
I remember that Colts game....other than that, a bunch of his returns are called back. So taking over multiple games????....I need to see some stats...in some wins.

My point is Tavon can score in multiple situations, & will make the offense much better.
He can score from anywhere....but he really hasn't. I'm just guessing, but I'd imagine he's only scored about 15 times in 3-4 years...

The thing McVay keeps bringing up is how Goff stays in the pocket & can take a hit while keeping his eyes down field
I've noticed he does take a pretty good lick....I've also noticed he's terrible as far as throwing on time...accurately...so I couldn't care less what his eyes do while in the face of pressure.

The thread title did say, 4 guys that can change the Rams fortune...So far, these 2 haven't lived up to the hype...1st round, trade up, and sacrificing players type hype. Unless he was suggesting a negative fortune. I'm more into guys that have shown me a lil something

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I remember that Colts game....other than that, a bunch of his returns are called back. So taking over multiple games????....I need to see some stats...in some wins.

He can score from anywhere....but he really hasn't. I'm just guessing, but I'd imagine he's only scored about 15 times in 3-4 years...

I've noticed he does take a pretty good lick....I've also noticed he's terrible as far as throwing on time...accurately...so I couldn't care less what his eyes do while in the face of pressure.

The thread title did say, 4 guys that can change the Rams fortune...So far, these 2 haven't lived up to the hype...1st round, trade up, and sacrificing players type hype. Unless he was suggesting a negative fortune. I'm more into guys that have shown me a lil something

Matt LaFeur,Olsen , & McVay are demanding the QB's hit the Recievrs in certain spots. They are big about timing & placement. They really break down a play to run perfectly. Say what you want about this ?? Far enough, but I trust this coaching staff. They do Love to Compete. McVay likes keeping score & he is going against on of the best defenses in all of football. Wade is getting after it.
--Like McVay said in his 24 he interview with John Sullivan. He wants the QB to make the call & see the field(defense) better. John Sullivan is going to be a huge improvement from Barnes. Not just a quick snap BS that they can't even do right.

I like Goff & what he brings. If Goff & Tavon suck you might as well cheer for another team. The Rams have invested big time into them. They believe this 2 players can improve & make The Rams a tree team.

--Will see , but I could have told you that about Warner. Really didn't see The Rams winning the Super Bowl with him, thought Trent Green could have. I had 5 dimes on the Baltimore game. Sometimes good game management can win games Case Keenum record was a lot better than Goff. I'm sure The Rams win 2 more games easy with Case being the QB the rest of the season. That said Goff is going to be a whole different player thus season& his skill set shows it as well. Deer in the headlights at times for sure.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They are big about timing & placement. They really break down a play to run perfectly. Say what you want about this ??
Lots of plays are drawn up one way....yet they work a whole nuther way....I like a QB to be able to make it happen...should unforeseen stuff occur...off-schedule they call these types of throws now.

Will see , but I could have told you that about Warner. Really didn't see The Rams winning the Super Bowl with him, thought Trent Green could have.
Warner looked AWESOME, the game after Trent went down. Only concern was could he keep it up against the real comp in the regular season.

I thought this was about Tavon and changing our fortune? Not Goff....And while I have my doubts about Goff...I could see him thriving if he can get more accurate. I think the key is his protection...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff, Goff, Goff, and Goff
There. That's 4
Kinda funny.... but so very true IMO.

So much is resting on this young lad's shoulders.

The real question (to me) is... can McVay and staff get him to where he needs to be?

bnw

Pro Bowler
Ok, so a little more of why I think you should step away from the ledge as opposed to just poo-pooing.

Quinn is as healthy as he's been in the last few years, according to him, he's at 100%, and in the best ranked scheme with a coach who knows how to best utilize his elite talent while keeping him from getting ridden like a bull.

Personally, I think easley will get more sacks than brockers.

Goff, the coaches know, and by all accounts, players and coaches, he's exceeded expectations in camp and unlike last year, the rams have reason to believe in this guy.

Gurley WOULD be a huge question mark had he not dazzled as a rookie behind a question mark line, qb, OC, enteire coaching staff for that matter, and receiving corp. All of which has been hugely improved and already seen paying off. If fisher was still the coach, talking about how boras will improve this year and grobs light seems to have flickered on, then I'd be worried.

Quinn has a passion to be great(D' Farr interview). He has lost 15#'s & should be a lot faster. He will also be able to just rush the passer without run containment & going straight up against a LT .

Tavon - I've already stated my case . He is one of the best all-purpose players in the NFL. McVay will find spots to give him the ball with space to go.

Goff - #1 player drafted last season. He gets the reins . Will see how he maneuvers this high speed Beefy offense?? He has a solid team on the sidelines to help guide him through the game.

Gurley is serious about this season. He has worked his butt off. His speed is up. He is totally cleared from his knee injury. McVay has talked highly of him. He works hard in practice, & always likes to take a practice rep to the house. Gore is a type of RB, I see him being like. Gurley has been doing real well in his pass blocking & hS good hands out of the backfield. He will be a nice outlet at times for Goff. This will help open up the offense & keep the chains moving.

We'll see but all I see now is the same ole rote interviews generating the same ole optimism that infects the faithful every July......no matter the head coach.......no matter the players. Same ole contagion. Yet we enter another season with a passing QB and wonder if any of the WRs can catch the ball.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

23 touchdowns. He's done more then his fair share since he's gotten here, considering how udderly pathetic the offensive coaching staff was.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
23 touchdowns. He's done more then his fair share since he's gotten here, considering how udderly pathetic the offensive coaching staff was.
He's also had 2 punt returns, 1 receiving and 2 rushing touchdowns called back. Along with 200 something yards worth of offense.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Also that's 28 total touchdowns which is 7 per year. If he keeps the pace he's at he will become a top 5 scorer in franchise history. Behind Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt and Steven Jackson. That's some good company.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We'll see but all I see now is the same ole rote interviews generating the same ole optimism that infects the faithful every July......no matter the head coach.......no matter the players. Same ole contagion. Yet we enter another season with a passing QB and wonder if any of the WRs can catch the ball.

Yeah - great ?? We will see , maybe it's better to think like you ?

Last year I bought in. Just watched Part 3 of All or Nothing. Fisher & his fake punts ?? 4-1 would have been nice last year. Injuries hurt as well as the coaching staff. There were players The Rams kept for years that is were on the team showed lack of depth

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Gurley and Quinn have done it before...change multiple games and fortunes...

I haven't really seen it in TA or Goff....and I'm not talking about one or 2 games...multiple games
C'mon Champ. Gurley has had 5 total decent games in this league. Not to mention Tavon was a huge reason for that success as I recall Cignetti using him in motion and with misdirection to draw LBs out of the box and make room for TG. The hate for TA is unbelievable to me on here. How many explosive plays has he made? How many has he made that were called back for STUPID penalties? Tavon has been the only "spark" in this O/ST since he got here for the most part. Sure, he can get better in his route running and will need to soften those hands on the hot, shorter passes, but what did TG do last year?? Oh, right...all the OL fault and yet TA and Goff are not afforded that excuse to many on here.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But, our best players didn't contribute much. That's a whole lot of team-performance upside sitting there.

When you put it that way it makes sense, and gives me a bit more hope for a fun year.

Plus Gurley understands now, he must be dedicated to his craft and not hamburgers at Carl's Jr.

I hope he has been putting in the work because if he doesn't improve I see the Rams drafting a RB to compete for the starting job. I'd really like to see him back to form. He and Austin kept defenses on their toes and that was without much help from the QB and OC.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I hope he has been putting in the work because if he doesn't improve I see the Rams drafting a RB to compete for the starting job. I'd really like to see him back to form. He and Austin kept defenses on their toes and that was without much help from the QB and OC.

Several reports have communicated that Gurley has been training much harder this year and in preseason I only want to see glimpses as I would keep him somewhat grounded for obvious reasons, but I concur Les, if Gurley is more like 2016 then 2015 the Rams will have to look in drafting someone early come 2018, but IMO, Gurley will bounce back, he is a thoroughbred that needs to run.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The hate for TA is unbelievable to me on here.

i can't believe it either and it irks me so much. these people seem to think he should be a pro typical wr when he is nothing of the sort. just give him one year in an offense that works with offensive coaches that know what they're doing and then judge his play.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
He's also had 2 punt returns, 1 receiving and 2 rushing touchdowns called back. Along with 200 something yards worth of offense.

Seems like more TD's called back than that and big punt returns.....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You say this like its a bad thing.
Why not enjoy the kool aid now?
Man, its been so long since we had football, the NFL off season is the worst. Why not enjoy it now?
Just my .02 but it doesn't matter what my level of enthusiasm is at this moment, if the Rams aren't good next year, it will suck. May as well enjoy the ride

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Seems like more TD's called back than that and big punt returns.....
Strictly off the top of my head.
Receiving TDs: 67 yards vs Carolina
Rushing TDs, 21 yards vs Chicago, 30 yards vs Arizona
Punt return TDs, 80 yards vs Dallas, 82 yards vs Detroit, 75 yards vs Whiners
Yardage plays: 30 yard PR vs Jacksonville, 70 yard PR vs Arizona, 78 yards vs San Diego and many more I'm probably forgetting.

He's actually one of the most prolific Punt Returners ever. Just adding those plays alone puts his career average at 11.3 ypr and 6 touchdowns. That's Devin Hester territory at this point in his career.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
C'mon Champ. Gurley has had 5 total decent games in this league. Not to mention Tavon was a huge reason for that success as I recall Cignetti using him in motion and with misdirection to draw LBs out of the box and make room for TG.
Gurley was offensive rookie of the year in 2015. I doubt it was due to 5 total games. He was the #1 option for 2 years running...without his success, we couldn't score.
Tavon is an excellent decoy. However, when he's been the focal point of the offense, it sputters. I'll always remember his rookie year, a game when Sam Bradford targeted the guy for 10 passes in the first half of a game...after this game, Fisher scrapped the wide open offensive scheme....the beginning of the end for Schotty. He's never improved. He's the same guy...if it's not a 3 yard pass, he either can't get open fast enough...has trouble catching the contested pass...and is generally looked at as a drive killer.
And no, I didn't like the pick...You don't draft SLOT RECEIVERS in the first round....gimmick guys...you draft studs..freaks...

these people seem to think he should be a pro typical wr when he is nothing of the sort.
Exactly....typical wr's catch the ball consistently down the field. I don't think I could ever remember a wr that averaged less than 10 yards a catch, be revered in such a way.

I know...it's hard for some of you to think, such a fast guy...it must be something else...it's gotta be the QB...the line...the scheme...

Tavon has been the primary target in the time he's been here...Before he was here, the offense was bad...but manageable....it's gotten worse. Granted so have the QB's...but...he's played a huge roll....being the #1 option.