4 guys that can change our fortune

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bnw

Pro Bowler
It looks like Quinn is no longer able to rush in the manner he was successful a few years ago. Without pressure from the ends Brockers and Donald will not get the sacks.

Goff, no one really knows. Same for Austin. Though in Austin's case we know he can't carry an offense.

Gurley is a huge question. 2015 version? 2016 version? He looked mentally checked out of games last season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Coaches matter quite a bit. When the LA Kings were coached by Terry Murray, Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick were all considered pretty good players.

When coached under Daryl Sutter Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick became the best in their position. Even though they've fallen, they're often ranked in the top 3 in their position, and depending on who ranks them, can still be considered #1. That's a coach getting a lot more from his players than a previous coach. It took him 6 months for that to happen (he was hired in December, and they won the cup that June). McVay can do that in my opinion.

I'd say the same with The LA Lakers with Del Harris .
People want to talk about Phil Jackson about having all this talent. Some coaches can't get a team over the top.

Mo Alexander & Joyner could be added to the list as well ? Not to the extent of four players mentioned , but still think you see a big difference.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gurley, Goff, Austin, Quinn...

Sure, we can add other players to this list, but I don't think anyone would argue these guys are considered top players on our roster and we did not see elite play from them in 2016.

Gurley is just one season removed from being among "the top RB's" in the league.

Goff, drafted #1 overall, just finished his rookie season.

Austin has shown flashes of brilliance, albeit far too infrequent, in an offense that rarely showed flashes of anything.

Quinn just turned 27, after 2 injury plagued seasons, remains in his prime and just 2 seasons removed from top player status in the whole league.

Point being... we sucked last year. But, our best players didn't contribute much. That's a whole lot of team-performance upside sitting there.

Agreed - Gurley & Tavon both were thriving at the end of 2015. It was a scary combo .Now The Rams have a excellent supporting cast around them.

Quinn getting hurt the last 2 years after having a 18 sack season.

-- Goff just getting first team reps & 3 excellent offensive minds to support him.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
It looks like Quinn is no longer able to rush in the manner he was successful a few years ago. Without pressure from the ends Brockers and Donald will not get the sacks.

Goff, no one really knows. Same for Austin. Though in Austin's case we know he can't carry an offense.

Gurley is a huge question. 2015 version? 2016 version? He looked mentally checked out of games last season.

Ok, so let me just go in order of statements

Sucks
Sucks
Sucks

How can you go through life this negatively? There is so much context you're obviously not accounting for.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
[QUOTE ="bnw, post: 913861, member: 4467"]It looks like Quinn is no longer able to rush in the manner he was successful a few years ago. Without pressure from the ends Brockers and Donald will not get the sacks.

Gurley is a huge question. 2015 version? 2016 version? He looked mentally checked out of games last season.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so a little more of why I think you should step away from the ledge as opposed to just poo-pooing.

Quinn is as healthy as he's been in the last few years, according to him, he's at 100%, and in the best ranked scheme with a coach who knows how to best utilize his elite talent while keeping him from getting ridden like a bull.

Personally, I think easley will get more sacks than brockers.

Goff, the coaches know, and by all accounts, players and coaches, he's exceeded expectations in camp and unlike last year, the rams have reason to believe in this guy.

Gurley WOULD be a huge question mark had he not dazzled as a rookie behind a question mark line, qb, OC, enteire coaching staff for that matter, and receiving corp. All of which has been hugely improved and already seen paying off. If fisher was still the coach, talking about how boras will improve this year and grobs light seems to have flickered on, then I'd be worried.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd say the same with The LA Lakers with Del Harris .
People want to talk about Phil Jackson about having all this talent. Some coaches can't get a team over the top.

Mo Alexander & Joyner could be added to the list as well ? Not to the extent of four players mentioned , but still think you see a big difference.
HA.....
Almost had a spit take reading the name Del Harris!!

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

Sure, we can add other players to this list, but I don't think anyone would argue these guys are considered top players on our roster and we did not see elite play from them in 2016.

Gurley is just one season removed from being among "the top RB's" in the league.

Austin has shown flashes of brilliance, albeit far too infrequent, in an offense that rarely showed flashes of anything.

Quinn just turned 27, after 2 injury plagued seasons, remains in his prime and just 2 seasons removed from top player status in the whole league.

Point being... we sucked last year. But, our best players didn't contribute much. That's a whole lot of team-performance upside sitting there.

Flush four Jeff fisher favorites (turds) - Brian Quick -------- ( TBD - Harkey - Marquez -Austin, Quinn...)
Greg Robinson
Kenny Britt
Lance Kendricks

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head there @CGI_Ram - these guys need to pick themselves up and hit the ground running this year.

IMO

Gurley seems a lot more comfortable and relaxed in himself this offseason than last, I hope that comfort translates to the playing field.

Austin, should have more room to fly this season with the great hands of Woods and Kupp to compliment him - he is still one of the shiftiest guys about the NFL and we've seen that McCvay can work quirk into his offense. I have a feeling Tavon is going to have a good year for the Rams and hopefully silence all you doubting Thomas' - if McVay didn't think he'd be able to work with him and get production, I doubt that he would still be on the roster.

Quinn, the guy is going to be a beast in Wade's system. If his body holds up to the LA heat then opposing QBs should be worried. He still has it in him.

Goff, this to me is the enigma, and I'm still waiting to be convinced. I know several of you guys love him and loved the pick, but I want him to convince me.

What I am confident with is that Kromer will turn the 2016 porous O-line into a dominant wall. I love the way the've taken the axe and re-worked the players. and I love the fact they didn't draft any guys this year - McVay said, Kromer wasn't happy with what he saw there and thought that we had better in the garage. I think the addition of Whitworth and Sullivan (both clever football players) will take some of the pressure of Saffold, and let him play ball and I think that Brown is going to give everything now that he's been given this chance to be a starter. I can see this unit being a top 10 unit this year, improving with each game - which should give Goff (and Gurley) the platform they need to succeed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If fisher was still the coach, talking about how boras will improve this year and grobs light seems to have flickered on, then I'd be worried.

Can you imagine that shit? I'd have to try and convince myself to get excited about the season. Eventually, I would. I'd lie to myself about how it would be different this year, but it would suck so hard if Fisher were still the coach. If I know the man, he probably would have fired Boras as OC and promoted Weinke rather than looking for a real OC.

I'm so happy we have a new staff here. At minimum, I don't have to lie to myself to get excited. I can get excited about the unknown. There are a lot of unknowns, but there are also a lot of promising things thus far from this new staff. I really believe this could be the year we finally end the streak.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Can you imagine that crap? I'd have to try and convince myself to get excited about the season. Eventually, I would. I'd lie to myself about how it would be different this year, but it would suck so hard if Fisher were still the coach. If I know the man, he probably would have fired Boras as OC and promoted Weinke rather than looking for a real OC.

I'm so happy we have a new staff here. At minimum, I don't have to lie to myself to get excited. I can get excited about the unknown. There are a lot of unknowns, but there are also a lot of promising things thus far from this new staff. I really believe this could be the year we finally end the streak.

I'm definitely excited by the new change, and I know things could have been different for Fisher IF he'd have employed a competent OC staff - McVay seems to have pulled to gather a 'Best of the Best' when it comes down to the coaching staff and hasn't been prejudiced or blinkered in his hiring or cutting of Rams players - no matter where they were picked, or what their production was last year. He's picked 'A Team', guys that compliment and could work well together as a team - and that is something I am excited about.

I also like the feel I'm getting off players and coaches this offseason - they seem happy, comfortable but still committed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I really believe this could be the year we finally end the streak.

ram_dance.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Gurley and Quinn have done it before...change multiple games and fortunes...

I haven't really seen it in TA or Goff....and I'm not talking about one or 2 games...multiple games

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Gurley and Quinn have done it before...change multiple games and fortunes...

I haven't really seen it in TA or Goff....and I'm not talking about one or 2 games...multiple games

TA has taken over multiple games, just not in a while. Go back to his rookie season and dude was lighting it up. Consistency has been a problem with him, but that was a problem with players in general under Fisher-- especially the offense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

" And we thank you, Debbie Downer, for your wisdom and words of encouragement!":LOL: I strongly Disagree!:cool: But you have a right to have a wrong opinion once in a while!