3 offseason moves to a Super Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Yes, we're still technically alive, and I will shit myself with joy if we go 9-7 and squeak in as a Wild Card team (because at that point, we have to be on a serious roll and scaring every other team to death). But, we're in the middle of the week, let's all give our 3 2014-2015 offseason moves that will - in our minds - guarantee a Super Bowl. Go.

Me:
- Draft Reese Dismukes, C, from Auburn
- Draft La'El Collins, T/G, from LSU
- Draft Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, from Oklahoma

(I'm assuming re-signing a bunch of our FAs)

Imagine a fully-recovered Bradford, throwing to Quick, Green-Beckham, Britt, Bailey and Austin, behind a line of Robinson, Collins, Dismukes, Saffold and Barksdale.

And then imagine that with our defense backing it up.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'd be very very pleased with this. I love Collins, really like Dismukes, and DGB's talent is top 10 worthy. This would make us a very good offense for next season and set us up for a long period of success with that talent.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not drafting a QB would be the definition of insanity, i.e. doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Bradford cannot be counted on. Let him win the job in camp, sure. No probs, because he will if he's healthy. But have a high end talent ready for the future if he comes up lame again. Rams have to invest in the QB position again. It's time.

How well they scout the position in this draft is going to dictate our future. Barring, of course, Snead pulling off a great trade acquisition.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not drafting a QB would be the definition of insanity, i.e. doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Bradford cannot be counted on. Let him win the job in camp, sure. No probs, because he will if he's healthy. But have a high end talent ready for the future if he comes up lame again. Rams have to invest in the QB position again. It's time.

How well they scout the position in this draft is going to dictate our future. Barring, of course, Snead pulling off a great trade acquisition.
I get the sentiment, but it looks like a pretty bad QB class aside from Mariota and Winston... who we are probably already way out of range to get. I'd not mind a Dak Prescott or Garrett Grayson, but do you think they or anyone else in the upcoming draft is ready to be a starter in the NFL as a rookie?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

I could not disagree more, do you really wanna draft another top shelf QB before fixing the Line?

That in my book would define insanity.

I agree with the OP 110%!!!

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit

...OR drafting a QB thinking that will solve all problems would be the definition of insanity since that was a huge failure last time Rams did it.

I'm all for a rookie QB if there are any quality ones to be had, but I'm fine with focusing on the O line and having Bradford/Hill/?.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yes, we're still technically alive, and I will crap myself with joy if we go 9-7 and squeak in as a Wild Card team (because at that point, we have to be on a serious roll and scaring every other team to death). But, we're in the middle of the week, let's all give our 3 2014-2015 offseason moves that will - in our minds - guarantee a Super Bowl. Go.

Me:

Imagine a fully-recovered Bradford, throwing to Quick, Green-Beckham, Britt, Bailey and Austin, behind a line of Robinson, Collins, Dismukes, Saffold and Barksdale.

I like your plan except I'd draft a LB instead of Green-Beckham. Someone like Denzel Perryman from Miami or Georgia's Ramik Wilson (gotta love his name)

Problem is I think all of these guys just might go in the 1st round.

We got to think QB at some point but I don't like any of them coming out this year. Michigan State's Connor Cook may be an option but I think he is not coming out. I don't think there is a starting QB as a rookie in this draft. Bad timing for us but it is what it is. Let's hope Bradford can come back.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
To me, Green-Beckham has way too many red flags to use a high draft pick on. I see another Justin Blackmon, a top flight talent who has had numerous problems since entering the league. If you could get him as a 3rd day pick, then might be worth the risk, otherwise, steer clear, drugs and domestic violence are things I'd prefer the Rams stay clear of when acquiring talent.

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Yes, we're still technically alive, and I will crap myself with joy if we go 9-7 and squeak in as a Wild Card team (because at that point, we have to be on a serious roll and scaring every other team to death). But, we're in the middle of the week, let's all give our 3 2014-2015 offseason moves that will - in our minds - guarantee a Super Bowl. Go.

Me:

Love these moves, on paper, @DCH and I don't watch enough college football to offer up a "better" alternative. Also, I love your plan to address the OL but the thought of having two rookies starting in the middle of the OL is a little unsettling no matter how talented they may be.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Seriously! I do not under stand why, some people around here, Don't think that Bradford (If he's healthy, and protected) Hill ( If he finishes the season well!) and Case Keenum as our 3rd QB. Are Not a viable set of QB's for the Rams in 2015!! Feel free to pick me apart on this one!

fearsomefour

Legend
Seriously! I do not under stand why, some people around here, Don't think that Bradford (If he's healthy, and protected) Hill ( If he finishes the season well!) and Case Keenum as our 3rd QB. Are Not a viable set of QB's for the Rams in 2015!! Feel free to pick me apart on this one!
Sorry to disappoint, no argument from me. This would give the Rams their best QB situation in years. Keenum, Davis or a rookie could fill that 3rd QB roll well.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have no problem with these moves at all. Starting two rookies in any position group can be tough. But, one thing for sure, if the Rams can replace Long and Wells with young talent and resign Barksdale they will have an Oline all under 26 years old for next season. A young group with a lot of talent than can grow and gel together....and stands a better chance of staying healthy.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan

Me:

I got chills down my spine imagining that!

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

If Bradford can stay healthy, there's nothing wrong with it. I'm a Bradford fan. But he hasn't stayed healthy.

Hill is too old to be the QB of the future. If the Rams are really trying to build something, they need that QB of the future.

Keenum and Davis go into that same category of future backups, ceiling too low.

I get the sentiment, but it looks like a pretty bad QB class aside from Mariota and Winston... who we are probably already way out of range to get. I'd not mind a Dak Prescott or Garrett Grayson, but do you think they or anyone else in the upcoming draft is ready to be a starter in the NFL as a rookie?

Hundley, maybe Dak Prescott from Miss State if you want a Russell Wilson style guy. There's always someone who shoots up the draft boards in the off-season. Bortles was nowhere in the draft process at this time last year. Same with Savage and Garapolo (sp?).

I could not disagree more, do you really wanna draft another top shelf QB before fixing the Line?

That in my book would define insanity.

I agree with the OP 110%!!!

Re-sign Barksdale, off-season surgery for Saffold, Robinson, Long comes back at a reduced salary (perhaps playing G?), Person grows a year, Barrett Jones grows a year, Barnes grows a year, Rhaney grows a year, Washington grows a year... Yes, I'd like to upgrade both Brandon Joseph and Scott Wells, but the OL is not in such a bad state that you should put off drafting or trading for your QB of the future.

Last edited:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't be totally broken up over that. But I think in a perfect world we'd like to see someone with more of a pedigree and upside behind Bradford...either as the 2 or 3.

I think Hill could be thinking retirement at any point, so to bank on him is probably a little risky.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I love it! I would be very happy with that off season. The only thing id consider changing is if there is a good young vet free agent center to sign instead of draft but I dont know if that guy will be available.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
There are no qbs worth drafting eatly for the rams. Plus how many rookie qbs lead their team to the playoffs. In Bradford we trust!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Re-sign Barksdale, off-season surgery for Saffold, Robinson, Long comes back at a reduced salary (perhaps playing G?), Person grows a year, Barrett Jones grows a year, Barnes grows a year, Rhaney grows a year, Washington grows a year... Yes, I'd like to upgrade both Brandon Joseph and Scott Wells, but the OL is not in such a bad state that you should put off drafting or trading for your QB of the future.
I was thinking that the line has performed pretty admirably despite the absence of Jake Long. A line of Robinson/Saffold/Jones/???/Barksdale could be pretty nasty. I'd like to see a mid round pick go to a nasty OG, but I could see a line with these players working nicely. Yes I'm still a Barret Jones fanboy.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hundley, maybe Dak Prescott from Miss State if you want a Russell Wilson style guy. There's always someone who shoots up the draft boards in the off-season. Bortles was nowhere in the draft process at this time last year. Same with Savage and Garapolo (sp?).
I mentioned Prescott. But aside from Bortles, who would have benefited massively from sitting on the bench as a rookie, who from this year's draft that wasn't a top-5 guy in the pre-draft chatter has started and played like he deserved it? Savage and Garoppolo (sp?) are both sitting, which is great for them. Mettenberger started and has... not benefited from that situation or helped his team. Bridgewater has started and been OK, although he was supposed to be the top guy before the pre-draft process.

My point is, aside from Winston + Mariota, I don't see anyone capable of starting at QB as a rookie for a good team. I wouldn't be comfortable giving the reins of the Rams to any of them right off the bat. Even Prescott, who I'm high on, would be best suited to sit a season and learn from NFL coaches.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I mentioned Prescott. But aside from Bortles, who would have benefited massively from sitting on the bench as a rookie, who from this year's draft that wasn't a top-5 guy in the pre-draft chatter has started and played like he deserved it? Savage and Garoppolo (sp?) are both sitting, which is great for them. Mettenberger started and has... not benefited from that situation or helped his team. Bridgewater has started and been OK, although he was supposed to be the top guy before the pre-draft process.

My point is, aside from Winston + Mariota, I don't see anyone capable of starting at QB as a rookie for a good team. I wouldn't be comfortable giving the reins of the Rams to any of them right off the bat. Even Prescott, who I'm high on, would be best suited to sit a season and learn from NFL coaches.

The Rams are very well suited imho to taking a rookie QB and having them succeed. They have the RBs, the WRs including the gadget guy, the OL foundations (although yeah, there are a few spots to upgrade), the defense that will keep them in games, the special teams which won't lose games. The QB does not need to be a savior as a rookie, just someone who will follow the system and play within themselves. Worth noting, all these guys we've mentioned (Mariotta, Winston, Precott, Hundley) are mobile, which will help them as rookies; if their first few reads are covered, they can pick up a first down with their feet. They can run an occasional QB draw or a read option run.

Picking a QB for the Raiders? Yeah, has to be a very special guy.

Picking a QB for the Rams? It's like picking a QB for San Fran or Seattle from two years ago. Turns out Kaep was NOT that good, but San Fran was still plenty successful. Wilson grew into the role and continued to grow after getting the starting gig. We need to find Russell Wilson, not Andrew Luck.