GAME DAY 2023 Preseason Game 1 - Rams at Renters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
No direct correlation between preseason outcomes and regular season outcomes.

Just sayin’

As for the rookie point…wouldn’t that tend to mean that you should expect a slow start (hopefully followed by a relatively fast learning curve)? If a bunch of seasoned veterans was out there making mistakes, that would be a bigger concern, no?
Hahahaha.....just saying..... sorry just had to mess with your saying there. You are correct there is usually no correlation but since our team is so young and inexperienced, it has to be used to get them prepared and see who comes to play when the lights go on. So far that D line looks like shit, no pass rush pressure in 1st half and got gashed in the run game. Luckily they have time to improve, but they need to do it fast. I'm also not going to mention the 2nd half because that's when the Chargers start putting in more of their scrubs to see which long shots make their team. Of course it would be a bigger concern if the vets made mistakes than rookies, but unfortunately for us, we have more rookies/really inexperienced players than usual. We seemed to have done well with our Nacua pick tho. Tomlinson had a decent game too but it'll be interesting to see how he matches up with taller WRs throughout the preseason as I'd expect other teams to attack that part of his game.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I hope that 200 plus rushing yards isn't indicative of what our defense is. Because that was pretty bad. I'm sure in practice this week Raheem's gonna have them working hard on getting in the right position to make a tackle. On the bright side I thought our secondary held up better than expected.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I hope that 200 plus rushing yards isn't indicative of what our defense is. Because that was pretty bad. I'm sure in practice this week Raheem's gonna have them working hard on getting in the right position to make a tackle. On the bright side I thought our secondary held up better than expected.
They need to not get sucked inside. They gave up most of it on outside runs.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The strength of this team is top talent in Kupp/ Stafford/ Donald. And then the coaching/scheming of McVay.

None of that is a factor in preseason. So it's tough to guage how these games translate into the regular season, especially with other key starters sitting.

I did like what appears to be a more smashmouth Niners type run game this yr, which will help Stafford to stay upright.

And yes the defense will be a concern for run stopping and giving up big plays, but they seem to have a few playmakers as well.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I already think it's bad to begin with and will turn unwatchable ugly if we have key injuries. Might have to get really fucked up before watching some games hahaha
Ah yes, I remember those times well—the games ot so much.
Living on the coast while the Rams were in St. Louis meant games at 10 am.
Drunk by halftime.
Fucked up by the time I left.
Having to leave an extra tip because I ate most of the free munchies they put out!

….but I’m much better now.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The strength of this team is top talent in Kupp/ Stafford/ Donald. And then the coaching/scheming of McVay.

None of that is a factor in preseason. So it's tough to guage how these games translate into the regular season, especially with other key starters sitting.

I did like what appears to be a more smashmouth Niners type run game this yr, which will help Stafford to stay upright.

And yes the defense will be a concern for run stopping and giving up big plays, but they seem to have a few playmakers as well.

The 9ers didn’t write the book or invent “smash mouth football.”
Let’s just call it that instead of using the grammatically incorrect term “9ers smash mouth football”.

I would hate to see the board have to pull your Rams card.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I remember when ppl complained about having to pay to watch preseason games and now they suddenly turned into a forecast for the regular season :zany:

oldnotdead

Legend
Gaines didn't sign because Morris insisted he play a 0T. Didn't you notice how many times he had to align directly over the center in a 0T and two gap? He is strictly a 1T NT or a 3T. Gaines, Wagner, and Ramsey saw they had no real future playing under Morris. Why do you think Gaines accepted the same money from Tampa? That was a huge snub to the Rams if they want to keep Morris he's gone. Why do you think Wagner just suddenly said he wanted out after one season under Morris? Why do you think Ramsey wanted out?

Morris benched Rochell in favor of Kendrick? Rochell as a rookie who was raw outplayed Kendrick's effort but Morris kept playing him. What do you think that does to a young player? It wouldn't surprise me if Rochell is cut and Kendrick makes the roster which would be a shame since we already saw how much Kendrick sucks.

A one and half gap is a read while you attack style. It's played as a one gap scheme with the DL aware of what the OL is doing and are ready to shift their penetration to one side or the other. Regardless, it's an attacking style while a two gap is passive. The two gap is a classic 3-4 scheme where the DL is eating blockers to allow the LBs to flow to the POA. Morris wants his DL to read first to flow to the POA. On some plays it's really evident because there is almost no penetration. It also makes the DL susceptible to play action. Look at Donald's play last year. He wasn't driving all out to penetrate and disrupt on every snap as is his style. It's why many times the double teams worked because AD lost his explosive first step advantage.

Morris plays a 0T two gap NT and the other DL read/react to the flow of the OL. That give all the advantage to the OL and is why Donald's and the other edge's production plummeted. Too many times on passing downs Morris had their best edge dropping into coverage. WTF?

Your best coverage CB is lined up more than 10 yds off the LOS on 3rd and medium and the other CB is lined up past the line to gain? Oh yeah that's on Ramsey. C'mon man! Those things happened not once but several times during the season. That IMO is bad coaching.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Gaines didn't sign because Morris insisted he play a 0T. Didn't you notice how many times he had to align directly over the center in a 0T and two gap? He is strictly a 1T NT or a 3T. Gaines, Wagner, and Ramsey saw they had no real future playing under Morris. Why do you think Gaines accepted the same money from Tampa? That was a huge snub to the Rams if they want to keep Morris he's gone. Why do you think Wagner just suddenly said he wanted out after one season under Morris? Why do you think Ramsey wanted out?

Morris benched Rochell in favor of Kendrick? Rochell as a rookie who was raw outplayed Kendrick's effort but Morris kept playing him. What do you think that does to a young player? It wouldn't surprise me if Rochell is cut and Kendrick makes the roster which would be a shame since we already saw how much Kendrick sucks.

A one and half gap is a read while you attack style. It's played as a one gap scheme with the DL aware of what the OL is doing and are ready to shift their penetration to one side or the other. Regardless, it's an attacking style while a two gap is passive. The two gap is a classic 3-4 scheme where the DL is eating blockers to allow the LBs to flow to the POA. Morris wants his DL to read first to flow to the POA. On some plays it's really evident because there is almost no penetration. It also makes the DL susceptible to play action. Look at Donald's play last year. He wasn't driving all out to penetrate and disrupt on every snap as is his style. It's why many times the double teams worked because AD lost his explosive first step advantage.

Morris plays a 0T two gap NT and the other DL read/react to the flow of the OL. That give all the advantage to the OL and is why Donald's and the other edge's production plummeted. Too many times on passing downs Morris had their best edge dropping into coverage. WTF?

Your best coverage CB is lined up more than 10 yds off the LOS on 3rd and medium and the other CB is lined up past the line to gain? Oh yeah that's on Ramsey. C'mon man! Those things happened not once but several times during the season. That IMO is bad coaching.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The 9ers didn’t write the book or invent “smash mouth football.”
Let’s just call it that instead of using the grammatically incorrect term “9ers smash mouth football”.

I would hate to see the board have to pull your Rams card.
Well, Lafleur came from Shanahan's system. Soooo.... that's why I said that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
NFL Network started the Rams game late in my region because the Eagles Ravens game was still being played.

I was just thinking. Isn’t it better to switch to a game that is just starting? The better players will be playing in the first half. In the second half of the other game you are getting 3rd and 4th string players.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Absolutely LOVED that post game press conference with Stetson.

He seems to be getting more comfortable and more loose and himself around the Rams media.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also some respect for Bruss and his quotes that Jourdan put in her latest article for me.