GAME DAY 2023 Preseason Game 1 - Rams at Renters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Preseason Week 1 notebook: McVay on OL Joe Noteboom competing at multiple spots, deciding between Stetson Bennett and Brett Rypien as starting QB for preseason opener​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Offensive lineman Joe Noteboom will be in the mix for more than just the starting left tackle job.

Rams head coach Sean McVay confirmed that Noteboom, who had been rotating with Alaric Jackson at left tackle throughout training camp, is getting reps and competing at right guard.

"We feel like he's one of our better players, want to be able to move him around," McVay said after Thursday's practice. "You're just figuring out kind of the best way to mix and match. Joe's the guy that can play inside and outside, and so it's one of those deals that we kind of had planned initially. He started at guard for us before, whether or not he ends up doing that or playing tackle, we're still kind of working through that."

Sean McVay on Joe Noteboom getting reps at RG, deciding between Stetson Bennett and Brett Rypien as starting QB for 2023 preseason opener

Guard is not entirely foreign to Noteboom. He saw time at right guard – and both tackle spots as a rookie during the 2018 preseason. Throughout his rookie year, he practiced at both tackle positions and both guard positions.

In 2019, Noteboom started six games at left guard before suffering a season-ending knee injury in that sixth game. He was also the starting left guard for the first three games of the 2020 season before suffering a knee injury in that third game. Later that 2020 season, he filled in for an injured Andrew Whitworth at left tackle.

McVay indicated competing at right guard won't prevent Noteboom from competing at left tackle. When McVay was asked by a reporter if he would like to see Noteboom hold down the left tackle spot given the investment the team made in Noteboom in the spring of 2022 – a three-year contract – McVay said he did not have a preference.

"You'd like to be able to see him continue to earn his role with our team," McVay said. "We want to find the best five, but I think every one of those positions is incredibly valuable. And really, whatever we deem is kind of the best fit for the five players at the two tackles, two guard spots and center. But I think Joe is a guy that can start at guard or tackle, and he's played at a high level, and so players like him are very rare that have the ability to do that."

Still deciding whether Bennett or Rypien starts at QB on Saturday

McVay said the team is "still working through" whether Stetson Bennett or Brett Rypien starts at quarterback on Saturday against the Chargers.

"There's a lot of layers (to that decision)," McVay said. "I think it's, exactly who are we going to play? We kind of have an idea, but we're going to finalize that and I want to make sure I talk to our players about that first. And then, just what are some of the things we want to do? Those are some of the things that go into it."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JOIN Our Pick’em and Survivor Leagues!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JOIN Our Pick’em and Survivor Leagues!

Placeholder, dammit!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Slams against Bargers at Sofi stadium. Who you got?

Trivia question: Where would you see such a game, and what is the importance (no googling please)?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Football is back!

giphy.gif

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woohoo. I think 2017 was the last time I was this excited for preseason football.
Me too!
We had prior storylines: Rams are all in so they have to win a Superbowl, they traded away all their picks blah blah blah.
Then last season: They are now paying the price of winning a Superbowl, blah blah blah.
So this season, low expectations and really not being taken serious as a contender. I like it!

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Really curious to see the OL. And some young starters.

Will we finally see some starters play in the preseason under McVay....

Hoping to see something from an edge... any edge...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This offseason has dragged boy. Excited to see what the Rams are cookin. :part:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Rypien starts over Bennett
Since the game will be on TV joined in progress that is. I would be happy to miss Rypien's performance while getting a look at Bennet

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I couldn't care less about the final score, ... but NO injuries and seeing developing players playing hard and winning positional battles will be key for me.