OFFICIAL 2022 Rams Training Camp Thread (General News and Notes)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm really struggling to understand McVay's decision to not play The Wolf during preseason. He certainly could use the live reps. Yes, I know injuries are a concern and all, but, QB's are likely the least apt to be injured in games and, god forbid, what if Stafford goes down? Wolford needs some real life reps against guys that want to rip his head off. Give him 2 series at start of the game and then let Perk play out.
I can’t explain it, either.

Perhaps McVay is being paranoid about injuries in preseason?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I can’t explain it, either.

Perhaps McVay is being paranoid about injuries in preseason?
Honest question… do you guys wonder why he doesn’t play Stafford?

Do you guys think his preseason approach has cost the team, in some way?

Do you guys see how much of the league is copying the Rams approach to preseason?

Tano

Legend
I'm really struggling to understand McVay's decision to not play The Wolf during preseason. He certainly could use the live reps. Yes, I know injuries are a concern and all, but, QB's are likely the least apt to be injured in games and, god forbid, what if Stafford goes down? Wolford needs some real life reps against guys that want to rip his head off. Give him 2 series at start of the game and then let Perk play out.
That's what I have been saying.

Tano

Legend

Do you guys see how much of the league is copying the Rams approach to preseason?
I have no problem with Stafford not playing. Only Wolford.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I see much of the league playing #2 QBs in preseason absolutely. The/only starting QBs are the ones in a competition for the most part. Or second year QBs playing some too which is very understandable.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I have no problem with Stafford not playing. Only Wolford.
But why?

It's the same staff and coaches doing the evaluation. Why are you not comfortable with that?

I get we like to see it for ourselves, but preseason games are far from our only data point and all the other data points suggest that Wolford is completely ready to go.

There's a different conversation about how good Wolford can get, but I think he's completely ready. He's going into his 3rd year in the same system and has been the only backup for two years now. He's gotten the reps and preparation.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

Trend Setters
Celebrate Von Miller GIF by Texas A&M University

Trend Followers
wife swap if you're not first you're last GIF by Paramount Network

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

When McVay sat starters, including Goff during the 2018 pre-Season, many former front office "Experts" working in media ... prime example being Mike Lombardi ... were very critical of that approach.

Remember Lombardi destroyed that strategy, saying Goff was a young QB and needed the pre-season game reps; and that McVay's decision to sit most starters would cost the Rams in the beginning of the season.

Over the past four seasons (2018-2021), the Rams are 11-1 in their first three games of the regular season. Mike Lombardi is an idiot.

Tano

Legend
But why?

It's the same staff and coaches doing the evaluation. Why are you not comfortable with that?

I get we like to see it for ourselves, but preseason games are far from our only data point and all the other data points suggest that Wolford is completely ready to go.

There's a different conversation about how good Wolford can get, but I think he's completely ready. He's going into his 3rd year in the same system and has been the only backup for two years now. He's gotten the reps and preparation.
Just the rust man just the rust
200.gif

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

Rams-Texans: 5 players to watch on offense and defense

Logan Bruss and the offensive line struggled last week - can they bounce back versus Houston?

By JB Scott Aug 17, 2022,
3 - Logan Bruss, OG
Logan Bruss had a rough start last week, especially in pass protection; however, it seemed the rookie got better as the game went out. It doesn’t seem the Rams are planning to cross-train Bruss - he’s preparing for a role at RG. Likely he will be the primary backup to Coleman Shelton this season, but he might not be as pro-ready as originally thought.

4 - AJ Jackson, OL

Juxtaposed to Bruss, AJ Jackson is being cross-training as the team’s swing tackle and potentially the backup LG. This gives the teams options should one of the starting linemen go down with an injury. As it current sits, if Coleman Shelton misses time Bruss would come in at RG. If Brian Allen were injured, Shelton would shift to center and Bruss would play RG. If either Joseph Noteboom (LT), Rob Havenstein (RT), or David Edwards (LG) is hurt, Jackson could fill in. This potentially allows the Rams to only keep 7 linemen active on gameday, which could provide flexibility at more deep positions such as the secondary or receiving corps.........

What about Anchrum? He was impressive at LG and solid at LT.
No way the Rams should roll with only 7. We’re talking about a potential 21 game season.

Tano

Legend
What about Anchrum? He was impressive at LG and solid at LT.
No way the Rams should roll with only 7. We’re talking about a potential 21 game season.
I think he meant 7 on game day but at least 8 maybe 9 with 1 or 2 being inactives

oldnotdead

Legend
The NFL dictates a team must activate at least 8 OL each game day which is why they will carry at least 8 probably 9 on the active roster. At the very least, 8 on the active roster and 2 on the PS.

I think McVay is being overly cautious with Wolford. In his last meaningful outing, he looked like a JAG out there. To say he was rusty is being kind. He struggled to read defenses. Yes, he has a stronger arm than Perkins but Perkins has shown he's a more dynamic player. Teams must account for his mobility, not so much with Wolford. I would be more concerned about losing Perkins than Wolford. IMO there isn't a lot of difference between Wolford and Perez other than Wolford knows the system.

Of more concern is Akers and Henderson continue their propensity of getting dinged up. They will likely carry 4 RBs on the active roster with at least 2 on the PS.

With the emergence of McCutcheon, the need for OBJ decreases. The Rams are 6 deep at WR though I think they will carry 7, Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson, Skowronek, McCutcheon, Tutu, and Harris. By the end of the season, I think McCutcheon jumps Skowronek on the depth chart. With his drive and work ethic, I can see McCutcheon developing quickly.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL dictates a team must activate at least 8 OL each game day which is why they will carry at least 8 probably 9 on the active roster. At the very least, 8 on the active roster and 2 on the PS.
Now that's very funny.

LA1980

UDFA

I have no problem not playing Stafford or starters. Wolford hopefully won’t play all year. He needs live reps on the off chance he will. Completely different situations. Not a big deal, just overkill imo. Unless the rams are preparing to shut Stamford down. No, still should play him. Nobody is perfect, which includes the best coach in the league. Who also sucks at challenge decisions, by the way. That’s okay.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I have no problem not playing Stafford or starters. Wolford hopefully won’t play all year. He needs live reps on the off chance he will. Completely different situations. Not a big deal, just overkill imo. Unless the rams are preparing to shut Stamford down. No, still should play him. Nobody is perfect, which includes the best coach in the league. Who also sucks at challenge decisions, by the way. That’s okay.

Agree that no one is perfect, but I have no reason at all to doubt this particular approach.

A lot of what you and others are saying about the reasons they shouldn't be sitting Wolford are the same reasons many cited when criticizing the Rams for sitting starters for the entire preseason. The Rams have more than proven that this particular part of their approach works. I have less than zero reason to doubt them on this front.

One of the reasons the Rams have been so successful in recent years is that they refuse to go with the "because that's the way we've always done things" approach. They constantly challenge conventional wisdom and re-evaluate how they do things. They are not infallible, but they know that and constantly question themselves and their methods.

It's drastic change.. people, including fans, are uncomfortable with change. I can be uncomfortable with change... but you know who isn't? The Rams. I'm learning to embrace that as a fan and actually am applying that to more aspects of my own life.