OFFICIAL 2022 Rams Training Camp Thread (General News and Notes)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CAMP REPORTS WILL BE DEDICATED THREADS

THIS THREAD IS FOR GENERAL TRAINING CAMP DISCUSSION

Rams will start training camp on July 23rd​

The Los Angeles Rams will start training camp on July 23rd, 2022.

View: https://twitter.com/nfl345/status/1540050419770163202?s=21&t=BvfBmBYli-PzwYlvU9pQbg

Camp will be held at UC Irvine, where the Rams have practiced each summer since relocating back to Los Angeles in 2017. Rookies and veterans are slated to report on the same day, which is not universal across the NFL.

The team’s first preseason game is at SoFi Stadium against the Los Angeles Chargers on August 13th. It’s technically a home game for the Chargers, which is also the case when the two teams face off during Week 17 of the regular season.

As reigning Super Bowl champions the Rams will host the Buffalo Bills to kickoff the NFL season on Thursday, September 8th. This will be a tough Week 1 matchup, but it figures to be a high-flying dual between quarterbacks Matthew Stafford and Josh Allen.

Winning Super Bowl GIF by SportsManias

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

McVay: LA Rams are starting over in quest for repeat crown​

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (AP) — The Los Angeles Rams threw the last of their lavish offseason parties Thursday night so they could hand out their massive Super Bowl championship rings to their current and former players.

Sean McVay sees the Friday morning after that soirée as the dividing line between the success of last season and the formidable task in front of the Rams this fall as they attempt to become the NFL’s first repeat champions in 18 years.

“It was kind of good timing, because now it represents, ‘Let’s turn the page,’” McVay said outside the Rams’ training camp headquarters in balmy Orange County. “Let’s not minimize what a great year last year was, but that’s not going to have anything to do with this year.”

Most successful coaches repeat some version of this philosophy after a title, but McVay believes the Rams have the talent and the leadership to stay in the race for a second ring. Even if the Rams fall short, McVay is determined to make sure it isn’t because of complacency.

“So many things have to go right,” McVay said. “We could be a better team this year, and I think we’ve got a chance to do that, and it might not mean we win a Super Bowl, because there are a lot of things that take place throughout the course of a game — the bounce of a ball here — certain things that are out of your control.”

The Rams got several of those bounces during their playoff run while winning consecutive thrillers over Tampa Bay, San Francisco and Cincinnati with late-game surges. Those breaks meant the difference between an excellent season and a title-winning campaign, so McVay plans to make sure only that his team is prepared to get in the position to have another chance.

After the Rams made their first Super Bowl under McVay three seasons ago, they went 9-7 the following year while missing the playoffs for the only time in McVay’s career. The coach credits that slight decline to those bad bounces, not to any post-Super Bowl hangover or preparation flaws.

“A hangover, to me, what that entails is guys think they’re better than they are,” McVay said. “They stop working the right way, complacency sets in and the previous success you think is going to have anything to do with your future success. We’ve got the right kind of guys in our locker room, the right kind of coaches that are intrinsically motivated.”

The Rams have a few practical tasks to perform in camp. They must identify a replacement for departed starting cornerback Darious Williams and right guard Austin Corbett, and they must build teamwork and communication with new receiver Allen Robinson and middle linebacker Bobby Wagner, who must both take on major roles immediately.

The Rams will hold their first practice at UC Irvine on Sunday. They’re getting an early jump on camp partly because they’ve got the first game of the new season as the defending champs: They’ll host Von Miller’s Buffalo Bills on Thursday, Sept. 8.

As for his own future, McVay admitted he contemplated stepping away from the game before deciding to continue with the Rams. He hasn’t finalized a contract extension yet with the team, but he said the negotiations are “in a good place,” and it’s “more than likely” they’ll finalize a deal in training camp.

General manager Les Snead is also expected to agree to a contract extension during training camp to continue their partnership with the Rams, who have five consecutive winning seasons, four playoff berths, three NFC West titles, two Super Bowl appearances and one championship during their half-decade together.

“Myself and Les, being a pair, when we get that thing finalized, you guys will know,” McVay said. “But I feel really good about the direction that’s going.”

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's great that Snead and McVay have "tied the knot" so to speak, although I can see Les sticking around longer. They are both very smart guys and this is a special time right now. Carpe Diem.

rdw

Pro Bowler
So it begins.
As a fan, it's sublime heading into the season as defending champs. The cherry on top is I feel they'll play even better this year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Rams placed Ramsey on the PUP list. Probably not a concern. He had the offseason surgery. Its not like they need to see what he can do.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let the reports begin, time to read about the likes of Garrett & Hardy along with if @Loyal WR Atwell is ready to soar in his 2nd season? Dixon vs Dicker will it be the savvy veteran who is also a great holder or Dicker the Kicker from Texas, where men are men and sheep are nervous.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Let the reports begin, time to read about the likes of Garrett & Hardy along with if @Loyal WR Atwell is ready to soar in his 2nd season? Dixon vs Dicker will it be the savvy veteran who is also a great holder or Dicker the Kicker from Texas, where men are men and sheep are nervous.
Dicker? An apostrophe with that name changes the whole meaning of it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dicker? An apostrophe with that name changes the whole meaning of it.
Kid has one hell of a leg and let's hope we get to see it on display. Dicker the Kicker was quite the story in Austin, regardless of any punctuation whatsoever.
1658590520826.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Best time of year starts now. We are finally here let's gooooo!!!! :horns::cool::horns:

As for his own future, McVay admitted he contemplated stepping away from the game before deciding to continue with the Rams. He hasn’t finalized a contract extension yet with the team, but he said the negotiations are “in a good place,” and it’s “more than likely” they’ll finalize a deal in training camp.
Good to hear McVay is getting taken care of and with Stan in place I expected nothing less. If our ownership situation was a lesser setup there's a chance we'd have what happened with our last championship team with a loss of the coach. Instead the Rams are locking key guys up and looking reloaded and ready for another run.

It's interesting to hear McVay say that they might be a better team but not win it all. So much truth in that, in how this league works. I think they're going to be better in a lot of ways, especially on offense. But yes you still need things to go your way, starting with injuries. Thing is if they can stay healthy we might finally get a playoff team that can run the table and give us a relaxed championship. Wouldn't that be cool, after our first two were nailbiters. :laugh1:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Best time of year starts now. We are finally here let's gooooo!!!! :horns::cool::horns:

Good to hear McVay is getting taken care of and with Stan in place I expected nothing less. If our ownership situation was a lesser setup there's a chance we'd have what happened with our last championship team with a loss of the coach. Instead the Rams are locking key guys up and looking reloaded and ready for another run.

It's interesting to hear McVay say that they might be a better team but not win it all. So much truth in that, in how this league works. I think they're going to be better in a lot of ways, especially on offense. But yes you still need things to go your way, starting with injuries. Thing is if they can stay healthy we might finally get a playoff team that can run the table and give us a relaxed championship. Wouldn't that be cool, after our first two were nailbiters. :laugh1:
I think the Rams could use a little injury luck for a change. Last year as with the 5 years before, the Rams have suffered key injuries that in years past kept them from advancing and in 18, winning it all. Last year the difference being, we were able to aquire miller, obj and wettle. Oh and we had a QB that can actually make up for someone missing, which really showed up on the last drive of the season. I would say the Rams had way more than their share of injuries. So this year maybe we catch a break?

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
VJ- Could explain his lack of going after those 50/50 deep balls in latter half of season and the playoffs.