2018 Rams Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
gonna make it tough. Green Bay would be interesting with Rogers.

Green bay he would still have the same problem with not being the number one. They would have jordy, adams and then Watkins but they would probably pass more since they dont really have a rb right now that will take touches like Gurley.

Chiefs are a running team that goes heavy on short intermediate passes to te and wrs.

Bears he would be the clear number one but it will be cold and i dont think he wants to go back to a cold city team. I guess we will soon fine out

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
That's a lot of teams.

Some good things here.

On that list only the Bears have more cap space, but arguably the worst QB situation. They also have the biggest need at WR, so they could get desprate and go crazy.

Great to play with Aaron Rogers and they can make space by cutting Nelson and or Cobb, but does Sammy want to go back to playing in the cold?

Biggest threat IMO is the Jaguars, since they are a good team, have good weather, and Sammy is a Florida native. However, Bortels sucks. If I am Sammy and I betting on myself in a short-term deal I would have more faith in Goff and McVay than Bortels and their offense. Then again Allen Robinson got 1,400 yards and 14 TDs with Bortels at QB.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Some good things here.

On that list only the Bears have more cap space, but arguably the worst QB situation. They also have the biggest need at WR, so they could get desprate and go crazy.

Great to play with Aaron Rogers and they can make space by cutting Nelson and or Cobb, but does Sammy want to go back to playing in the cold?

Biggest threat IMO is the Jaguars, since they are a good team, have good weather, and Sammy is a Florida native. However, Bortels sucks. If I am Sammy and I betting on myself in a short-term deal I would have more faith in Goff and McVay than Bortels and their offense. Then again Allen Robinson got 1,400 yards and 14 TDs with Bortels at QB.
As much as I like Bortles, I rather play with Trubisky.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Afternoon dolphinlover123, miss the CHAT room yet? I expect big improvement in our offense this season even without any help of the draft. When you review the last 3 drafts what I see is offense- offense & offense!

Here's the OFFENSE .....Gurley, Havenstein & Brown are entering their 4th seasons these 3 players are heading into contract years situations. Goff, Higbee, Cooper, Brown,Hemingway, Blythe & Thomas will be entering their 3rd seasons. Finally pass catchers Everett, Kupp, Reynolds & Justin Davis have their rookie season behind them & off to stardom!

So this entire young offensive cadre listed above have good futures ahead of them. So IMO this Ram team will continue to improve even if we use all our 2018 draft selections are defensive. One last thing I am a very big fan of Robert Woods & he is only 25 yrs old too
I miss it dearly.

As for the offense, I know we've drafted TE's the past two drafts, (Higbee/Everett/Hemingway) but I still feel like there's something missing there. I probably need to be more patient.

And now we get to replace Sammy and Tavon most likely. So we are going to see some new faces.

Pharoh Cooper, while he is a dynamic returner, is still not there yet in terms of being a receiver.
Same for Mike Thomas and Josh Reynolds. Just a lot of unproven guys. I'm not necessarily worried about trying to get new guys, but more about these young guys developing like you said.

Pass pro was great but I think run blocking could be improved. Especially gotta get those short yardage situations figured out. Might be more on McVay. Stop throwing on 3rd and 1 and 2's. That really ticks me off. And while I like John Sullivan because I think he's worth more than what we are paying him, not sure how long his back will hold up.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pharoh Cooper, while he is a dynamic returner, is still not there yet in terms of being a receiver.
Same for Mike Thomas and Josh Reynolds.

They were playing for a team that couldn't find enough targets for Sammy Watkins.
I don't expect them to be great, but I am confident that at least one of them can show a fair amount next year - probably two of them, once given an actual shot

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some good things here.

Thought the same when I read that tweet, although at this point I suspect there will be more teams than that. We'll see.

Still hopeful, even though I fear this thing's a done deal and he's good as gone.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I’m not sure WR is much of a huge need. Let’s see what the kids do - maybe draft another developmental guy.

Suh, I would like to see.

Psycho_X

Legend
I’m not sure WR is much of a huge need. Let’s see what the kids do - maybe draft another developmental guy.

Suh, I would like to see.

I don't think it is for Les and McVay. I think they believe in Reynolds and Thomas stepping up and helping out this year. But I still would have liked to see what Watkins would do in year 2 but too rich for our blood unfortunately.

Suh... eh. The idea of Suh sounds intriguing... the actual guy not so much. Plus, going back to a previous discussion a few weeks ago I had... how do you justify paying Suh a huge contract while still having the best player on your team at a similar position unhappy and wanting a long term contract? Could cause friction and increase likelihood of another holdout by AD except longer than week 1 this time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it is for Les and McVay. I think they believe in Reynolds and Thomas stepping up and helping out this year. But I still would have liked to see what Watkins would do in year 2 but too rich for our blood unfortunately.

Suh... eh. The idea of Suh sounds intriguing... the actual guy not so much. Plus, going back to a previous discussion a few weeks ago I had... how do you justify paying Suh a huge contract while still having the best player on your team at a similar position unhappy and wanting a long term contract? Could cause friction and increase likelihood of another holdout by AD except longer than week 1 this time.

You justify it by paying AD.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So after tagging Joyner, I have flashbacks to what we just went down with TruJo.

Add that paying a DT QB money is no easy thing to consider, and then look at what's currently happening with LeVeon Bell - that's our future with Gurley.

I personally would just extend all of them, but I have zero confidence right now that anything will get done. Now that you've tagged Joyner you pretty much committed to making him the highest paid safety in the NFL. I think we're all still confused by the hold up with AD.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are no easy decisions and the positions these guys play seem to be making it difficult for the Rams to just agree to whatever demands they are/will be having.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have we been in on anybody yet? We must be focused on tier two guys

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Have we been in on anybody yet? We must be focused on tier two guys
I'm guessing Snead is going to be really careful not to jeopardize his 2019 3rd round compensatory picks. That means lower tier players and FAs that were released by their teams. Some of those transactions are still happening.