12th Man Sets Guiness Record

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23678037/seahawks-fans-sets-guinness-world-record-for-loudest-stadium" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... st-stadium</a>

Hit 131.9 DB's

I looked up the OSHA max exposure allowable w/o earplugs 115 DB's for less than 1/4 Hr.

When are they gonna get sued?

The commonly agreed to threshold of pain 130 DBs,IOW it COULD classify as torture.

V3

Hall of Fame
I still maintain they pipe the crowd noise through the speakers to make it louder. That would certainly be grounds for a lawsuit if someone proved it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23678037/seahawks-fans-sets-guinness-world-record-for-loudest-stadium

Hit 131.9 DB's

I looked up the OSHA max exposure allowable w/o earplugs 115 DB's for less than 1/4 Hr.

The commonly agreed to threshold of pain 130 DBs,IOW it COULD classify as torture.
I get your point, but that would be the very definition of frivolous IMO.
I don't like that 12th man anymore than you, but I abhor lawsuits based on principle even more.

iced

Thordaddy said:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23678037/seahawks-fans-sets-guinness-world-record-for-loudest-stadium

Hit 131.9 DB's

I'm sure it's written into some by law that fans accept responsibility by knowingly attending a sporting event with a realistic possibility of high decibel exposure.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
V3 said:
I still maintain they pipe the crowd noise through the speakers to make it louder. That would certainly be grounds for a lawsuit if someone proved it.
yup

Graphicker

Starter
That's all them.. They even caused a small earthquake on that beast mode run vs the Saints.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
iced said:
Thordaddy said:

Hit 131.9 DB's

I'm sure it's written into some by law that fans accept responsibility by knowingly attending a sporting event with a realistic possibility of high decibel exposure.
That would be in legal term an exculpatory clause, which few actually hold up in court especially IF they are asking for acceptance of terms that are themselves not legal ,which for the vendors to be exposed to that level of noise without ear protection it is not.

I am as anti litigious as X and or anyone else on this board however ya gotta be ignoring the elephant in the room to pretend the advantage is not artificial ,pervasive, effective and violates any pretense of fair play along with codified workplace regulations other employers are being burdened with.

Did anyone SEE the concussion lawsuit coming 10 years ago,let me rephrase that how many of us saw it coming ? Is that not the camels nose under the tent ?
I'd rather this was settled by acknowledging the mistake they made when they decided to let the bulldog off it's chain,but when SITTING in my man cave the noise of a crowd grates so on me that I decide to eschew watching a game I was anticipating greatly, a noticeable difference has been made and a well run league needs to be aware that popularity can't insulate you from scrutiny forever.

We're gonna play there late this year, and it very well could be for a playoff spot,what a travesty it would be if we miss the playoffs because they want to set another worlds record instead of seeing the superior team advance.

The league needs to do something it's gotten out of hand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
We're gonna play there late this year, and it very well could be for a playoff spot,what a travesty it would be if we miss the playoffs because they want to set another worlds record instead of seeing the superior team advance.

Would you have the same concerns if it was the Edward Jones Dome that set the record? Again, I really dislike that team, its stadium and its fans, but if their fan base is able to generate that kind of HFA, then good for them. They put themselves in the position of cultivating that kind of advantage, and they're going to continue to make it a reality. Every single one of them (rightfully so), wants to take credit for being famous in this regard.

I think a lawsuit is completely out of the question too. A precedent has already been set with the breaking of the record, so anyone that goes there does so with full knowledge that the atmosphere is going to be exceedingly loud. I think the expectation of reasonable safety only applies to physical well-being; and the OSHA standards you cite are only for workplace safety, so only employees of the stadium can lodge a complaint. That won't be happening anytime soon, I don't think.

It is an interesting topic though, Thor. If you know anyone with some legal expertise in this area (not sure what area that would be), maybe you could run it by them and see if there's even a case? Visiting fans would probably be able to sue (because you can sue for virtually anything nowadays), but it would be good to know if it's even something that can be filed.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:

Hit 131.9 DB's

I get your point, but that would be the very definition of frivolous IMO.
I don't like that 12th man anymore than you, but I abhor lawsuits based on principle even more.

If you hated the 12th man as much as I do X, YOU would have been the author of a thread about it.

I dearly want to JUST talk football, but this isn't football and it's being passed off on us as if it is.

Like I said before I apologize for being strident but unless they dial this back ,the competition is ON, DO WE HAVE to see someone die in the frenzy before we realize fan fanaticism is being cultured in an UNHEALTHY measure here?

Today the San Fran fans are plotting how to become a part of the game in excess of the Seattle fans, some of our fans I don't doubt and even our teams organization maybe are plotting how to change the outcome of our game with the Seahawks,fandom based upon hatred can only have dysfunctional results.

People gonna die man ( Dennis Hopper voice )

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
Today the San Fran fans are plotting how to become a part of the game in excess of the Seattle fans, some of our fans I don't doubt and even our teams organization maybe are plotting how to change the outcome of our game with the Seahawks,fandom based upon hatred can only have dysfunctional results.
We're going to have to make a better effort than this ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-d-Hf5Zzn4[/youtube]

"let's slow clap it out." :roll:

iced

Thordaddy said:
iced said:
Thordaddy said:

Hit 131.9 DB's

That would be in legal term an exculpatory clause, which few actually hold up in court especially IF they are asking for acceptance of terms that are themselves not legal ,which for the vendors to be exposed to that level of noise without ear protection it is not.

I am as anti litigious as X and or anyone else on this board however ya gotta be ignoring the elephant in the room to pretend the advantage is not artificial ,pervasive, effective and violates any pretense of fair play along with codified workplace regulations other employers are being burdened with.

Did anyone SEE the concussion lawsuit coming 10 years ago,let me rephrase that how many of us saw it coming ? Is that not the camels nose under the tent ?
I'd rather this was settled by acknowledging the mistake they made when they decided to let the bulldog off it's chain,but when SITTING in my man cave the noise of a crowd grates so on me that I decide to eschew watching a game I was anticipating greatly, a noticeable difference has been made and a well run league needs to be aware that popularity can't insulate you from scrutiny forever.

dude.. the fans are the one who created the noise, and even went as far as marketing a social media campaign to "bring the noise" and break the record...it was on the news, twitter, facebook, etc. I bet they even printed it on the tickets... You had to have known the risk going in, especially since its known to be loud.

You never hear of the USHRA getting sued for monster truck shows....cause people know..

lol i actually sometimes didn't have to wear earplugs anymore at shows after a few deployments lol

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:

Would you have the same concerns if it was the Edward Jones Dome that set the record? Again, I really dislike that team, its stadium and its fans, but if their fan base is able to generate that kind of HFA, then good for them. They put themselves in the position of cultivating that kind of advantage, and they're going to continue to make it a reality. Every single one of them (rightfully so), wants to take credit for being famous in this regard.

I think a lawsuit is completely out of the question too. A precedent has already been set with the breaking of the record, so anyone that goes there does so with full knowledge that the atmosphere is going to be exceedingly loud. I think the expectation of reasonable safety only applies to physical well-being; and the OSHA standards you cite are only for workplace safety, so only employees of the stadium can lodge a complaint. That won't be happening anytime soon, I don't think.

It is an interesting topic though, Thor. If you know anyone with some legal expertise in this area (not sure what area that would be), maybe you could run it by them and see if there's even a case? Visiting fans would probably be able to sue (because you can sue for virtually anything nowadays), but it would be good to know if it's even something that can be filed.
That is what is known as an ignoratio elenchi,IOW I am not the subject nor what is what I like nor dislike the subject,IF I was the most foam at the mouth asshat in the stadium and had altered my vocal chords to emit 400 decibels of ear shattering noise WOULDN'T change what I am contending here.
If I was a hypocrite WOULD that change how you felt about the 12th man?
It shouldn't, the fans being rewarded for behavior that effects the game is the issue here for me and when it gets to the point this has you really need to take notice and realize what you allow you teach and the NFL is ASKING for trouble over this. And again they changed a rule for the worse,I fail to see it wasn't ,I don't need an 8-8 team that can only win at home because we are so loud the other team can't run a play and that's where this shit is headed.

TexRamFan

Rookie
X said:
Thordaddy said:

This is just hard to watch. I am embarrased to even see this video. When I saw this for the first time at the dome I almost cried.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:

That is what is known as an ignoratio elenchi,IOW I am not the subject nor what is what I like nor dislike the subject,IF I was the most foam at the mouth asshat in the stadium and had altered my vocal chords to emit 400 decibels of ear shattering noise WOULDN'T change what I am contending here.
It shouldn't, the fans being rewarded for behavior that effects the game is the issue here for me and when it gets to the point this has you really need to take notice and realize what you allow you teach and the NFL is ASKING for trouble over this. And again they changed a rule for the worse,I fail to see it wasn't ,I don't need an 8-8 team that can only win at home because we are so loud the other team can't run a play and that's where this shit is headed.
I don't care what it's called. I'm just asking if you would have the same concerns. I'm already on record saying that I don't *like* anything about the seadderall seahawks, but I don't really see anything wrong with them creating that kind of advantage for their team. I'd be pleased as punch if the dome (which could easily break the record due to its enclosed design) was able to generate that kind of advantage for OUR team.

iced

TexRamFan said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:

This is just hard to watch. I am embarrased to even see this video. When I saw this for the first time at the dome I almost cried.

I actually would prefer to see the chorus of this song than that crap...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9WPeSQboLI[/youtube]
Get some peep's in a Rams costume, have them gettin pumped up, pay ozzie and someone on the guitar to play in the video, (like a 10 second clip) and make it bad ass...

now that would be sweet

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's funny TD. I had forgotten about how refs used to get the crowd to quiet down when they became a hindrance to the opposing team. I remember it now that you mention it though... I even remember refs penalizing the home team for crowds who didn't settle down.

I wonder who/how/why/when the decision was made to throw that line of thinking in the trash and head in the complete opposite direction.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
It's funny TD. I had forgotten about how refs used to get the crowd to quiet down when they became a hindrance to the opposing team. I remember it now that you mention it though... I even remember refs penalizing the home team for crowds who didn't settle down.

I wonder who/how/why/when the decision was made to throw that line of thinking in the trash and head in the complete opposite direction.
Oh yeahhhhhhh. I remember that.

Was there a rule change that took that off the books? Anyone know?

EastRam

Pro Bowler
X said:
Selassie I said:

Oh yeahhhhhhh. I remember that.

Was there a rule change that took that off the books? Anyone know?

I dont recall the rule change that took it off the books.

As for causing an advantage for the other team.......

Just put headsets in the helmets. The QB and MLB already have them.. Just expand to all players.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:

I don't care what it's called. I'm just asking if you would have the same concerns. I'm already on record saying that I don't *like* anything about the seadderall seahawks, but I don't really see anything wrong with them creating that kind of advantage for their team. I'd be pleased as punch if the dome (which could easily break the record due to its enclosed design) was able to generate that kind of advantage for OUR team.
And upon further review I DO CARE what it's called because as I said ,I am not the issue here,my attitudes don't change whether it's a bastardization of competitive advantage and since you are adamant about wanting to KNOW how I would view it, I want a team that doesn't need that to win at home,I want a team that can win because they are better and relying upon "crutches" in competition and life breeds cripples.
So NO that's a game I don't want to engage in, hearty cheers of appreciation for a job well done an effort well made,fine, but LIKE I said X I saw a St.L Cardinal team get robbed of the likelihood of a World Championship by a HHHumphry crowd blowing whistles and other shenanigans WORTHY of Ray Lewis' crackpot FIX theories and that league outlaws artificial noise makers now as does the NFL,it's a principle as you say, and if principles aren't worth fighting for WTF is.

Once again I apologize to my fellow posters for being strident about this, is there little doubt after the way the 49r's were throttled last night that the same thing is going to happen to us?If we go in there needing a win to get in the playoffs ,will the game be worth watching ?

Are you going to defend it then X? Cheated out of it,I'd fucking rather they taped our walk through,at least we were allowed to compete in that game.

I ask kindly ,broach this subject with Mr.Demoff if you have a chance, the appropriate response to that thuggery is just not IMO more of the same ,escalation is not the answer but it will be if the league doesn't get a grip on it,it's seriously diminishing my desire to watch the sport and as the old Slattery's people line went "hey it's just one guy complaining,but every complaint represents 10,000 who are silent" er sumthin like that.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Selassie I said:

That's why you keep us old bastards around man to remember the good old days.
To be sure it's a marketing decision, let em act like idiots and they'll pay for the privilege. It's money and ya know Seattle has gone as far as putting undercover cops in visiting teams jerseys to arrest the same MF's they encouraged to become frenzied when they get out of hand and whack a visitor .
Stanley Kubrick aught to make a fucking movie about this sort of shit, wait I think he did.