1 YR-3M for L.Dunbar?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If it's true that Dunbar is a better pass catcher than Cunningham, it does open up the 3rd down offense. If I remember correctly, Cunningham mostly stayed in to protect or ran screens. McVay may be looking for a far more varied offense than the one we had.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/33326/rams-sign-ex-cowboys-rb-lance-dunbar

Rams sign ex-Cowboy Lance Dunbar as backup running back
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

i

Christian Petersen/Getty Images

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Rams signed former Dallas Cowboys running back Lance Dunbar, who comes in as a new backup for Todd Gurley.

Dunbar was signed Thursday to a one-year contract worth up to $3 million, according to ESPN’s Adam Caplan. He replaces Benny Cunningham, an unrestricted free agent who spent the last four years with the Rams.

Under new head coach Sean McVay, the Rams sought a change-of-pace back like Dunbar who could be a threat in both the run and pass game, a different skillset from Cunningham, who is more of a traditional backup.

The Dunbar signing means Gurley is expected to be on the field for a lot of third-down situations this coming season, making it crucial for him to improve in pass protection. Dunbar has some experience returning kickoffs, a role Cunningham excelled at, but those chores are now expected to fall on receiver Pharoh Cooper.

Dunbar, originally undrafted out of North Texas, has been buried on the Cowboys’ depth chart for most of his career but offers versatility. He will probably be used in a role similar to that of Chris Thompson, who compiled 1,161 yards from scrimmage with McVay as the Redskins' play-caller the last two years.

In 54 games from 2012 to 2016, Dunbar rushed for 422 yards on 94 attempts and also made 68 catches for 646 yards. The Rams previously had only Aaron Green and Malcolm Brown, two undrafted free agents, as depth behind Gurley.

Dunbar was in Los Angeles on Wednesday on a visit, as was free-agent linebacker Connor Barwin, who remains unsigned. The Rams still have room under the salary cap to sign Barwin and center Ryan Groy, who signed an offer sheet with them on Tuesday, giving the Bills five days to match.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
If it's true that Dunbar is a better pass catcher than Cunningham, it does open up the 3rd down offense. If I remember correctly, Cunningham mostly stayed in to protect or ran screens. McVay may be looking for a far more varied offense than the one we had.

I think McVays ultimate goal is to not waste time and get results by passing the sticks in forward progress. Someone mentioned I cant remember who, but this is going to be a fast paced offense it seems like. We will see the final product come preseason.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I'm not worried about the special teams aspect. Pretty sure Coop can fill that role and maybe be better.

As long as his pass pro is solid and he can make some big plays then I'm down for this. Now we don't have to draft a RB. Cross that off the list and we can focus on more pressing needs.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Love this move. I grew to like Benny, but the more Fisher guys go the happier I will be.

When you try to turn around an organization with such a losing stink, sometimes it takes a lot of turnover.
Just because Fisher was here when he came to the team doesn't make him a bad player, you want to dump Goff, Gurley, Donald, Ogletree?

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Just because Fisher was here when he came to the team doesn't make him a bad player, you want to dump Goff, Gurley, Donald, Ogletree?

I think he's saying the less Fisher influence on the team the better. They clearly got rid of a lot of his guys. Benny was a good backup though and he will find another job. I was a fan of his so I'll be rooting for him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I am ready to move on from Bam Bam. His best value for us has come on Kick Returns if you're asking me.

His nickname says it all to me really. He's a RB who will happily run over a defender... but his skill set really doesn't allow him to run by defenders. He's a power back... not a shifty, elusive, blazing fast threat out of the backfield. I've always thought that he has T-Rex arms too... they may be ripped... but they look way too short for his body. Those arms have always made me feel like he wasn't going to be able to hold onto the ball.

We need more versatility from our change of pace RB. I see Dunbar as a better fit.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/33326/rams-sign-ex-cowboys-rb-lance-dunbar

Rams sign ex-Cowboy Lance Dunbar as backup running back
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

i

Christian Petersen/Getty Images

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Rams signed former Dallas Cowboys running back Lance Dunbar, who comes in as a new backup for Todd Gurley.

Dunbar was signed Thursday to a one-year contract worth up to $3 million, according to ESPN’s Adam Caplan. He replaces Benny Cunningham, an unrestricted free agent who spent the last four years with the Rams.

Under new head coach Sean McVay, the Rams sought a change-of-pace back like Dunbar who could be a threat in both the run and pass game, a different skillset from Cunningham, who is more of a traditional backup.

The Dunbar signing means Gurley is expected to be on the field for a lot of third-down situations this coming season, making it crucial for him to improve in pass protection. Dunbar has some experience returning kickoffs, a role Cunningham excelled at, but those chores are now expected to fall on receiver Pharoh Cooper.

Dunbar, originally undrafted out of North Texas, has been buried on the Cowboys’ depth chart for most of his career but offers versatility. He will probably be used in a role similar to that of Chris Thompson, who compiled 1,161 yards from scrimmage with McVay as the Redskins' play-caller the last two years.

In 54 games from 2012 to 2016, Dunbar rushed for 422 yards on 94 attempts and also made 68 catches for 646 yards. The Rams previously had only Aaron Green and Malcolm Brown, two undrafted free agents, as depth behind Gurley.

Dunbar was in Los Angeles on Wednesday on a visit, as was free-agent linebacker Connor Barwin, who remains unsigned. The Rams still have room under the salary cap to sign Barwin and center Ryan Groy, who signed an offer sheet with them on Tuesday, giving the Bills five days to match.
Some good info in there.
I was curious if he could return kicks. It appears he can.
ALso.
I was curious as to who will be handling our kickoff duties. Which appears to be Cooper for now.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Don't we already have a 5' 8" running back / receiver?? #Yikes
If used correctly, Dunbar is pretty good. He's more of a receiver out of the backfield type. He's more dangerous in space as opposed to handoffs under center. Garrett's dumbass would put him in on 3rd downs when we have Elliott. Smh

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think he's saying the less Fisher influence on the team the better. They clearly got rid of a lot of his guys. Benny was a good backup though and he will find another job. I was a fan of his so I'll be rooting for him.
Fisher is gone along with his influence

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hope he's better than the last Dunbar that played for the Rams.
I don't know why the knock on Jo-Lonn!!?! He was a good player and a well respected Team Leader!! At least in MHO!!
And I don't want to Loose Cunningham for Dunbar! that's a poor trade-off to me!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
If used correctly, Dunbar is pretty good. He's more of a receiver out of the backfield type. He's more dangerous in space as opposed to handoffs under center. Garrett's dumbass would put him in on 3rd downs when we have Elliott. Smh
Cool. Was hoping to get your take on him rynie. I was thinking of T. Austin when I made that #Yikes comment, sounds like Dunbar could take touches away from him out of the backfield, there both the same size just about.