Your top 5 Choices (Within reason that they will be available when the Rams pick at #23)?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Re-signing Joyner would indeed be one of the best things we could do this off season.
LOL, yep to improve the middle of the defense....for cheap...if he fell to 23....I'd take him

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...day-4-winnerslosers-derwin-james-hybrid-freak

Here are Brooks' impressions from Indianapolis:

Winners

Derwin James, S, Florida State: James could experience a resurgence in draft buzz, given the final copy of measurements and athletic numbers the second-team AP All-American gave scouts at the combine. The versatile defender blazed a 4.47-second 40-yard dash to go along with a 40-inch vertical leap and an 11-foot broad jump. Although evaluators expected him to be one of the athletic freaks at the position, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound hybrid safety exceeded expectations by showing quick feet and smooth movement skills in positional drills. With some teams reportedly considering James as a "big" cornerback, this spectacular showing could elevate him back into top-15 consideration.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Where I stand:
1. Vita Vea NT Washington
2a. Da'Ron Payne NT Alabama (but I'm waffling here because of Derrick Nnadi)
2b. Harold Landry OLB Boston College
2c. Leighton Vander Esch ILB Boise State
5. Mike Hughes CB UCF

But this is subject to change. There are still some guys I want to evaluate (especially on the OL).
I couldn't beat these 5^^ If I tried, But to put them in a round bye round Draft order I'd go:
1a) Da'Ron Payne - NT - Ala.
1b) Leighton Vander Esch - OLB - Boise state
3a) Mike Hughes - CB - UCF
3b) Donte Jackson - CB - LSU
4) Rashaad Penny - RB - San Diego state

I have a lot more but I'm restricted to 5!!(y):D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don’t know about within reason. I’m sure the Rams were in shock that AD fell to us. Who knows who might shock us into running to hand in our pick this year.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
1. Vea NT
2. Payne NT
3. Landry OLB
4. J. Jackson CB
5. Vander Esch MLB
5b. L.Carter EDGE

This changes daily for me, I do love Vander Esch, but, unless we cut or trade Barron, we don't have a gaping hole there. Carter is more of a trade back option for me, but I think he could be fine as a Quinn replacement and potentially picking up a few more picks.

Shane Grandle

TE in a OT body
Name
RamsDCrep
1. Vea NT
2. Payne NT
3. Landry OLB
4. J. Jackson CB
5. Vander Esch MLB
5b. L.Carter EDGE

This changes daily for me, I do love Vander Esch, but, unless we cut or trade Barron, we don't have a gaping hole there. Carter is more of a trade back option for me, but I think he could be fine as a Quinn replacement and potentially picking up a few more picks.

I think we need to do something with Barron. He is fast and fun, but we need some size in the middle to take up blockers. Our run defense needs to improve

WestCoastRam

Legend
I actually have a write-up on Landry coming out with my next mock. Ill be interested in hearing your thoughts. The short and sweet version is that he relied too much on attacking the edge in 2017. If he embraces the varied approaches from 2016 and builds upon the secondary and counter moves he flashed, he can be a top 5 pass rusher in the game.

My guess is he's a guy you'd have to protect in the 1st year or so. Using him mostly on passing downs, sparingly elsewhere. He's a guy who's a rotational piece in his first year as he learns the nuances of pass rush moves outside the speed rush and puts on weight and strength - and then he's a bonafide starter after that.

I think he's a guy who's definitely there around 20.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
HAROLD LANDRY
EDGE Rusher
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/harold-landry?id=2559923

Sure would be an instant plug in starter @ the Weak Side Edge Rusher post that Rob Quinn played.

Off topic, but I read on another board a theory that Quinn was coached to speed rush on most plays, in order to force the QB to step up into Donald. This kinda limited him, & made him look like a one-trick pony. My guess is that, over time, Wade realized he just needed to let Quinn do his thing, so he got better at the latter half of the year. Anyone buy that theory?
An EDGE like Landry would then do the same job that our coaches were telling Quinn to do -- speed rush every snap & force the QB to step up. Landry could certainly do that, he's very fast.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Again, just my own personal wish. :)

I don't know what the scouts say. I don't know how he translates to the NFL. He's not getting much love in the NFL pre-draft coverage, but boy this kid is a hard worker. (Pretty decent nephew too!)

Takes good angles. Is productive, and I believe still growing in talent and skills. He reminds me a bit of our old James Laurinaitis.

Come on Wade, bring Austin into the fold. (y) He'd look great in horns.

Edit: Btw, the below highlight film does not highlight him on his tackles. He is #50. And his thing is always wearing a sloppy shirt under his jersey. I was glad. It helped me key in on him in the sea of players. :LOL:

View: https://youtu.be/QFCi8DtEWnM

STATS!! TFL's, PBU's, FF's, TCKL's, SACK's, Ht/Wt ??
Looks like a nice thumper, uses his hands well to get off blocks; shoved a few OG's backwards to make plays. LOTS of plays in the backfield. And yes he does take nice angles, which is a nice change of pace from what I usually see our LB's doing -- chasing down from behind. He knifes in nicely when he sees a gap to attack a runner / QB. Nice run defender, & had a PBU on his highlight reel. Good motor, some coverage sacks when he didn't give up attacking. Could be a nice late round / PFA ILB pick.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
DaRon Payne, Tree Edmunds if he slips.
Griffin in the 3rd. He ran a 4.38

Just a visual observation, & I know I will get flak for this because of what an awesome story he is:

Griffin looks "puffy".... :hiding:

There's a pic of him running the 40, & he looks like Barry Bonds....

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
STATS!! TFL's, PBU's, FF's, TCKL's, SACK's, Ht/Wt ??
Looks like a nice thumper, uses his hands well to get off blocks; shoved a few OG's backwards to make plays. LOTS of plays in the backfield. And yes he does take nice angles, which is a nice change of pace from what I usually see our LB's doing -- chasing down from behind. He knifes in nicely when he sees a gap to attack a runner / QB. Nice run defender, & had a PBU on his highlight reel. Good motor, some coverage sacks when he didn't give up attacking. Could be a nice late round / PFA ILB pick.
ILB Austin Paulhus 6'1" 230 Nevada
112 tackles 14.5tfl 4.5sacks I think 2ff and one recovery. Thanks for the feedback. I told his dad I think his greatest strength is identifying a quartbacks rollout and his closing speed is deceptive to the point of attack, forcing early/errant throws and an occasional sack.

Giles27

UDFA
Name
Giles Loveless
Harold Landry
Mike Hughes
Lorenzo Carter.
Leighton Vander
The shocker....shaq Griffin.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
ILB Austin Paulhus 6'1" 230 Nevada
112 tackles 14.5tfl 4.5sacks I think 2ff and one recovery. Thanks for the feedback. I told his dad I think his greatest strength is identifying a quartbacks rollout and his closing speed is deceptive to the point of attack, forcing early/errant throws and an occasional sack.
Ya, he might be a nice pick up with one of our new 6ths.... lol

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Harold Landry
Mike Hughes
Lorenzo Carter.
Leighton Vander
The shocker....shaq Griffin.

I want Lorenzo or Leighton or Rashaad now with AO being traded. Tim Settle in the 3rd, maybe move up & use some of our draft capital to get him??

edit: forgot to mention, I really liked what I saw from Lorenzo in the Notre Dame game. The BCS championship he didn't really factor in, I think they ran away from him a lot, but he still got a FF on the QB IIRC. I don't know about getting him at #23, maybe if we can move down & get a 2nd? then get him & Settle. TGII might be happy we pick up another Dawg.

Giles27

UDFA
Name
Giles Loveless
I want Lorenzo or Leighton or Rashaad now with AO being traded. Tim Settle in the 3rd, maybe move up & use some of our draft capital to get him??

edit: forgot to mention, I really liked what I saw from Lorenzo in the Notre Dame game. The BCS championship he didn't really factor in, I think they ran away from him a lot, but he still got a FF on the QB IIRC. I don't know about getting him at #23, maybe if we can move down & get a 2nd? then get him & Settle. TGII might be happy we pick up another Dawg.
If he's the guy the rams want and can't find a trade partner you pick them. Never gamble on a guy you want...its never worth it. This is a good draft for the defensive side of the ball especially at Lb

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not gonna list guys like Vea, or Edmunds, who have zero chance to get to us IMO. Trying to keep it real is tough, though, because it's a deep group...

1. CB Josh Jackson. He might slide due to team preferences in the top CB group and if so is a perennial pro bowler in this defense.

2. CB Mike Hughes. Might end up being the best CB from this class, he has that kind of ability. Great fit for us too.

3. ILB Rashaan Evans. Can do it all. Under Wade this dude is an impact selection who can rush on passing downs or stuff his run fits on run downs.

4. NT Da'Ron Payne. Plug and play starter for a defense that needs to toughen up.

5. ILB Leighton Vander Esch. Not as physical or as flexible as Evans, but he is big, fast, and disciplined and will have a long and decorated career for some lucky team IMO.

Hoping for Evans (#32) man...
Here's a real nice writeup from a few days ago on him

Last edited: