LEGEND Your Song of the Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_of_Old

I saw a commercial with one of my old favorites the other day. I played guitar and played "Never Ending Song of Love" to an old girlfriend. Unfortunately we broke up and she later committed suicide...but HEY! It was a cool song! :)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Pink Floyd - 'Learning to Fly.' The guitarist and drummer are both licensed pilots. WIKI

Oh_Canada

UDFA
Name
Bob
Man!!! I love these old songs. Introducing, by popular demand: The Moody Blues with their song, "Tuesday Afternoon"
(btw I also really LOOOOOVE "The story in your eyes" and "Lost in a lost world" too)

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Yes and The Jesus and Mary Chain are my all time favorite bands. At the center of the Jesus and Mary Chain are the Reid brothers. Jim sings lead and William plays lead guitar and sings lead too.
JAMC are the beat of me! I love every song off every album. The list of bands, who site the Jesus and Mary Chain as an influence, is a very long list indeed.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Saw the Moody Blues when they opened up for Deep Purple in the early 70's. It was the first time I ever heard a mellotron live. It was magical. The instrument was too heavy to tour with and often went out of tune. I have some mellotron sounds in the computer, which I use on occasion when recording, but they don't match up to the original.

Top Ten Mellotron Songs

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Fleetwood Mac - 'Hypnotized.' This is a great song written and sung by the late Bob Welch. "According to Welch, the mystical atmosphere of the song was heavily influenced by his residence at the Benifold Mansion in Hampshire, England, a place he described as "rather spooky and strange even in summertime"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnotized_(Fleetwood_Mac_song)

Oh_Canada

UDFA
Name
Bob
The very best version - of many, many versions done by just about everyone - was done by Frigid Pink.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Powerful live version of Don't Take Me for Granted, written about the founding member and guitarist of Social Distortion Dennis Danell. Dennis sadly passed on at age 38 from a brain aneurism. A love song for a long lost best friend.

Last edited:

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey

Oh_Canada

UDFA
Name
Bob
Some 60's Canadian music perhaps? One of the greatest pieces ever produced by any Canadian ... Gordon Lightfoot: "The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Get out the cowbell cause it's time for....

(Don't Fear) The Reaper by Blue Öyster Cult

Songfacts®:

Blue Öyster Cult's first hit, this was written by lead guitarist Donald Roeser, also known as Buck Dharma. He contributed his vocals to this track and also wrote their other Top 40 hit, "Burnin' For You."

This was rumored to be about suicide, but it actually deals with the inevitability of death and the belief that we should not fear it. When Dharma wrote it, he was thinking about what would happen if he died at a young age and if he would be reunited with loved ones in the afterlife. Dharma explained in a 1995 interview withCollege Music Journal: "I felt that I had just achieved some kind of resonance with the psychology of people when I came up with that, I was actually kind of appalled when I first realized that some people were seeing it as an advertisement for suicide or something that was not my intention at all. It is, like, not to be afraid of it (as opposed to actively bring it about). It's basically a love song where the love transcends the actual physical existence of the partners."

Blue Öyster Cult was considered a "cult" band, somewhere in the realm of Heavy Metal with complex and often baffling lyrics dealing with the supernatural. Those inside the cult took the time to understand that like Black Sabbath, BOC combined outstanding musicianship with fantasy lyrics, and they weren't for everyone. "Don't Fear The Reaper" exposed them to a wider audience, which was good for business but bad for art. Buck Dharma said in a 1980 interview with NME: "Ever since 'The Reaper' was a hit we've been under pressure to duplicate that success; the body of our work failed. Even on (1977 album) Spectres everyone tried to write a hit single and that's a bad mistake. The Cult is never destined to be successful at a format. To be a singles band you have to win the casual buyer."

Some of the lyrics were inspired by Shakespeare's Romeo And Juliet. In Shakespeare's play, Romeo swallows poison when he believes Juliet is dead. Juliet responds by taking her own life. This led many people to believe the song was about suicide, but Dharma was using Romeo and Juliet as an example of a couple who had faith that they would be together after their death.

For the lyrics that begin, "40,000 men and women," Dharma was guessing at the number of people who died every day.

The album features vocals and songwriting from Patti Smith. She was keyboardist Allen Lanier's girlfriend at the time and had also contributed to one of BOC's previous albums, Secret Treaties.

A 2000 Saturday Night Live skit with Christopher Walken made fun of the extremely loud cowbell in this song. In the skit, the band would get upset when Will Ferrell would play the bell too loud, but Walken kept calling for "More Cowbell." In the skit, Walken plays a super-producer named Bruce Dickinson, who the band respects enough to put up with his cowbell antics. There really is a Bruce Dickinson (besides the Iron Maiden lead singer), but he didn't produce "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - that was David Lucas, who also brought us the GE "We bring good things to life" and the AT&T "Reach out and touch someone" jingles. Dickinson is an archivist who works on album reissues, which means gathering master tapes to ensure the best sound quality. He is credited as the reissue producer on a later version of the album, which apparently is how he was named in the sketch.

Lucas and Dickinson both appeared on the Just My Show podcast, and Lucas explained that the cowbell was his idea, as the song "needed some momentum." He grabbed a cowbell from a nearby recording studio and "just played four on the floor… not hard to do." He found out about the SNLskit when a friend instant messaged him as it was airing.

Dickinson says he's always felt a little funny about getting the producer role in the famous skit, but it has made life more interesting. Said Dickinson, "I work with Iggy Pop on a lot of stuff and a lot of times when he calls and I pick up the phone, he goes 'More cowbell!'"
Another version of this song was recorded for their 1988 album, Cult Classics.

This has been used in several horror movies, including Halloween, The Frighteners and Scream. It was also used in a very non-horror capacity in the party scene of the Disney movie Miracle, which is about the US Hockey team beating the USSR at the 1980 Olympic Games. (thanks, Jerry - Boston, MA)

This wasn't released as a single in the UK until 1978, where it became their only hit in England.
Stephen King quoted the lyrics to this song in his novel The Stand, in which 99.9% of the US population is killed by a manmade disease called "Superflu." It is also used in King's miniseries of the same name during a montage showing the corpses of those who had been killed by the disease. King often quotes songs in the beginning of his books.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Get out the cowbell cause it's time for....

(Don't Fear) The Reaper by Blue Öyster Cult

Songfacts®:

Blue Öyster Cult's first hit, this was written by lead guitarist Donald Roeser, also known as Buck Dharma. He contributed his vocals to this track and also wrote their other Top 40 hit, "Burnin' For You."

This was rumored to be about suicide, but it actually deals with the inevitability of death and the belief that we should not fear it. When Dharma wrote it, he was thinking about what would happen if he died at a young age and if he would be reunited with loved ones in the afterlife. Dharma explained in a 1995 interview withCollege Music Journal: "I felt that I had just achieved some kind of resonance with the psychology of people when I came up with that, I was actually kind of appalled when I first realized that some people were seeing it as an advertisement for suicide or something that was not my intention at all. It is, like, not to be afraid of it (as opposed to actively bring it about). It's basically a love song where the love transcends the actual physical existence of the partners."

Blue Öyster Cult was considered a "cult" band, somewhere in the realm of Heavy Metal with complex and often baffling lyrics dealing with the supernatural. Those inside the cult took the time to understand that like Black Sabbath, BOC combined outstanding musicianship with fantasy lyrics, and they weren't for everyone. "Don't Fear The Reaper" exposed them to a wider audience, which was good for business but bad for art. Buck Dharma said in a 1980 interview with NME: "Ever since 'The Reaper' was a hit we've been under pressure to duplicate that success; the body of our work failed. Even on (1977 album) Spectres everyone tried to write a hit single and that's a bad mistake. The Cult is never destined to be successful at a format. To be a singles band you have to win the casual buyer."

Some of the lyrics were inspired by Shakespeare's Romeo And Juliet. In Shakespeare's play, Romeo swallows poison when he believes Juliet is dead. Juliet responds by taking her own life. This led many people to believe the song was about suicide, but Dharma was using Romeo and Juliet as an example of a couple who had faith that they would be together after their death.

For the lyrics that begin, "40,000 men and women," Dharma was guessing at the number of people who died every day.

The album features vocals and songwriting from Patti Smith. She was keyboardist Allen Lanier's girlfriend at the time and had also contributed to one of BOC's previous albums, Secret Treaties.

A 2000 Saturday Night Live skit with Christopher Walken made fun of the extremely loud cowbell in this song. In the skit, the band would get upset when Will Ferrell would play the bell too loud, but Walken kept calling for "More Cowbell." In the skit, Walken plays a super-producer named Bruce Dickinson, who the band respects enough to put up with his cowbell antics. There really is a Bruce Dickinson (besides the Iron Maiden lead singer), but he didn't produce "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - that was David Lucas, who also brought us the GE "We bring good things to life" and the AT&T "Reach out and touch someone" jingles. Dickinson is an archivist who works on album reissues, which means gathering master tapes to ensure the best sound quality. He is credited as the reissue producer on a later version of the album, which apparently is how he was named in the sketch.

Lucas and Dickinson both appeared on the Just My Show podcast, and Lucas explained that the cowbell was his idea, as the song "needed some momentum." He grabbed a cowbell from a nearby recording studio and "just played four on the floor… not hard to do." He found out about the SNLskit when a friend instant messaged him as it was airing.

Dickinson says he's always felt a little funny about getting the producer role in the famous skit, but it has made life more interesting. Said Dickinson, "I work with Iggy Pop on a lot of stuff and a lot of times when he calls and I pick up the phone, he goes 'More cowbell!'"
Another version of this song was recorded for their 1988 album, Cult Classics.

This has been used in several horror movies, including Halloween, The Frighteners and Scream. It was also used in a very non-horror capacity in the party scene of the Disney movie Miracle, which is about the US Hockey team beating the USSR at the 1980 Olympic Games. (thanks, Jerry - Boston, MA)

This wasn't released as a single in the UK until 1978, where it became their only hit in England.
Stephen King quoted the lyrics to this song in his novel The Stand, in which 99.9% of the US population is killed by a manmade disease called "Superflu." It is also used in King's miniseries of the same name during a montage showing the corpses of those who had been killed by the disease. King often quotes songs in the beginning of his books.

I love that Blue Oyster Cult album. Had a girlfriend once, who thought the song was named Don't Fear the Reefer! lol
I'm partial to This Aint the Summer of Love! The song is dark and rocks, and makes me feel evil!

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Love that song as well.

"Had a girlfriend once, who thought the song was named Don't Fear the Reefer!"

Those where my favorite types of girlfriends back in the day. :cool:

Let's close out the day by making this a BOC trifecta...

Burnin' For You by Blue Öyster Cult

Songfacts®:

Lead guitarist Don "Buck Dharma" Roeser initially planned to release this song on his solo album, Flat Out, but was later convinced to include it on Blue Oyster Cult's Fire Of Unknown Origin." Buck sings lead on this song, as he did on many of the band's songs.
This song was Blue Oyster Cult's first major radio hit since 1976's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper."

In the book MTV Ruled the World - The Early Years of Music Video, frontman Eric Bloom tells the story of the "Burnin' For You" video: "We went out to California, and our management found a video company, and we did two videos in 24 hours - 'Burnin' For You' and 'Joan Crawford.' MTV wouldn't show the 'Joan Crawford' video, because there was something about it that was too racy for them. But 'Burnin' For You' got a ton of airplay on MTV in 1981 and 1982."

Bloom continues: "We made it in the storm drains of LA. If anyone has seen the movie about giant ants, called Them!, with James Whitmore, it was filmed in the same place." Later he adds: "We thought the car on fire was very Hollywood, very cool. They had to have a Hollywood film/pyro guy there, who was licensed to burn s--t up. He had propane tanks, and he had to have a hunk of car to burn."

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Never heard this band before. Thanks! This tidbit about Michael Jerome their drummer - "Jerome is double-jointed and ambidextrous, allowing him to play drums in ways no single-jointed normally dextrous drummer would be able to."

I kept saying to myself, after you replied to moi, " I know that name Michael Jerome!" Duh! Michael Jerome was premium drummer trained at the North Texas Jazz program, and easily the technically the best member of Pop Poppins. The two brothers in Wind Blown Duck shirts are sweet, and provide psychedelic guitar and bass riffs to accentuate Bruce's calming, sweet humming vocals. The best local concert I ever saw with of Pop Poppins was when they backed up fellow Dallas band Corse of Empire! Michael Jerome played drums for both bands. Of course, Corse of Empire had two drumers, and were bombastic when compared to s Pop Poppins, yet just as environment. Imagine Hitler not waging war, and singing songs about saving the environment, and your got Course of Empire in your local zip code!

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I've seen Dada twice, and I would see them again, given half a chance. Always sardonic, soulful, and intelligent. Remember after each Super Bowl, the MVP would turn toward the camera and announce to a billion people, " I'm going to Disney Land!" This is Dada's take on American culture via Disney Land! Enjoy!