Your Favorite Sports Announcers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Reminded me of the Sunday night game against the Cowboys that opened last season.

Cris Collinsworth going on and on about the impact Aldon Smith would have on the Dallas defense.
By the way, I read where NBC is going to pay Collinsworth $12.5M per year so that we can continue the honor of enjoying his expertise.

**MODERATOR CREATED NEW TOPIC

CGI

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
By the way, I read where NBC is going to pay Collinsworth $12.5M per year so that we can continue the honor of enjoying his expertise.
I don't totally dislike Collinsworth but he uses waaay too many cliche phrases like "first one in, last one out each day"... It doesn't come across genuine or real.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't totally dislike Collinsworth but he uses waaay too many cliche phrases like "first one in, last one out each day"... It doesn't come across genuine or real.
I just feel like his commentary/analysis has gotten a little repetitive and tired over time.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I used to really like CC, but he is starting to grate on me, althoughI challenge anyone to try and find ONE broadcast without either the announcer or color guy coming out with the "One of the (best, most, toughest, quickest, smartest), (pick a position) in the league", reference for multiple players.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Collinsworth isn’t as bad as some of the announcers out there.

I think we mostly suffer from missing some of the best that we grew up with.

Tano

Legend
Collinsworth isn’t as bad as some of the announcers out there.

I think we mostly suffer from missing some of the best that we grew up with.
McKay
Summarall
Even Madden
Vin Scully
Dick Enberg

even gulp Howie Costell - although he got really annoying in his later years

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
When you've grown up with guys like Vin Scully and Chick Hearn... it's all down hill from there.

Vin Scully did some Rams games, did a Super Bowl or more (iirc) and was the Dodgers radio/tv guy for something like six decades as well as boxing and the odd cameo in movies.

Chick Hearn did basketball and boxing, was the Laker radio/tv guy for something like 56 years where he missed only ONE game and that was because a flight out of Minneapolis was cancelled and he couldn't get to the next game...again, iirc.

Vin Scully was a poet who led generations of Angelenos to be romantic about the Dodgers and Chavez Ravine.

Chick Hearn painted a picture one the radio as well a Norman Rockwell did on canvas. It was both artistic and realistic... you could Magic dribbling the ball down the court... "Magic brings the ball down the court. He's at the top of the key, yo-yoing up and down. He looks left and ...no look pass to Worthy at the base of the key... the mustard's off the hotdog, folks. He threw a magnificent no look pass down the key where James Worthy was waiting for an easy layup and he just missed the pass..."

Sorry for the pale imitation. I know there are imitations of Vin Scully online, I won't even try to do him... I never went to church as a kid except for with my grandfather during the summer. The first time I went to Dodger Stadium for Little League night... we got there early and seeing the grass even greener than on TV and listening to Vin Scully over the loudspeakers... It just felt like this holy place that must be respected. I was afraid to make any noise!!!

Anyway, all that nostalgia to say 2 things: 1) the old announcers were better because they worked in radio. It's a dying skill because even radio guys today for the most part suck at painting a picture with words. It's the worst of both worlds with them acting like TV guys on the damn radio. You might as well tell a blind fan, "would you look at that! What an amazing play!" 2) there's too many distractions from the game. Maybe Pat Summerall was really just that good, but when he did promos, it fine. I'm almost nostalgic for that, "at the conclusion of today's game, 60 minutes will air in its entirety followed by Murder She Wrote" These days, there's so much damn branding for every little thing. As well, every game is hyped up the wazoo. Sometimes it's just a hard fought, low scoring game...celebrate that... I hate when announcers get "bored" and start kibitzing. Honor the damn game and keep informing the fans. You want a more exciting job? Go into bomb disposal.

nighttrain

Legend
When you've grown up with guys like Vin Scully and Chick Hearn... it's all down hill from there.

Vin Scully was a poet who led generations of Angelenos to be romantic about the Dodgers and Chavez Ravine.

Chick Hearn painted a picture one the radio as well a Norman Rockwell did on canvas.
i grew up listening to Vin Scully broadcast Dodger games on a very cheap transistor radio! good times
train

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Grew up with Jack Buck on the Cardinals. Blues had Dan Kelly, and he died two years before I was born, but my dad and mom grew up with him.

Nobody was better than Jack Buck, in my honest opinion, and this is coming from someone who thinks the world of Vin Scully.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Vin Scully did some Rams games, did a Super Bowl or more (iirc) and was the Dodgers radio/tv guy for something like six decades as well as boxing and the odd cameo in movies.

Chick Hearn did basketball and boxing, was the Laker radio/tv guy for something like 56 years where he missed only ONE game and that was because a flight out of Minneapolis was cancelled and he couldn't get to the next game...again, iirc.

Chick Hearn painted a picture one the radio as well a Norman Rockwell did on canvas. It was both artistic and realistic... you could Magic dribbling the ball down the court... "Magic brings the ball down the court. He's at the top of the key, yo-yoing up and down. He looks left and ...no look pass to Worthy at the base of the key... the mustard's off the hotdog, folks. He threw a magnificent no look pass down the key where James Worthy was waiting for an easy layup and he just missed the pass..."

Sorry for the pale imitation. I know there are imitations of Vin Scully online, I won't even try to do him... I never went to church as a kid except for with my grandfather during the summer. The first time I went to Dodger Stadium for Little League night... we got there early and seeing the grass even greener than on TV and listening to Vin Scully over the loudspeakers... It just felt like this holy place that must be respected. I was afraid to make any noise!!!

Anyway, all that nostalgia to say 2 things: 1) the old announcers were better because they worked in radio. It's a dying skill because even radio guys today for the most part suck at painting a picture with words. It's the worst of both worlds with them acting like TV guys on the damn radio. You might as well tell a blind fan, "would you look at that! What an amazing play!" 2) there's too many distractions from the game. Maybe Pat Summerall was really just that good, but when he did promos, it fine. I'm almost nostalgic for that, "at the conclusion of today's game, 60 minutes will air in its entirety followed by Murder She Wrote" These days, there's so much damn branding for every little thing. As well, every game is hyped up the wazoo. Sometimes it's just a hard fought, low scoring game...celebrate that... I hate when announcers get "bored" and start kibitzing. Honor the damn game and keep informing the fans. You want a more exciting job? Go into bomb disposal.
So this strikes me. Vin, Chick, and others used to paint beautiful pictures whether you were watching or not. If you were listening to CC, would you have any clue as to what was really happening? Or would you be wondering who the fuck as he blathers on with "this is a guy..."?

Sorry but I cannot stand listening to CC. The guy spews shit and all I want to do is tell him to STFU.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
So this strikes me. Vin, Chick, and others used to paint beautiful pictures whether you were watching or not. If you were listening to CC, would you have any clue as to what was really happening? Or would you be wondering who the fuck as he blathers on with "this is a guy..."?

Sorry but I cannot stand listening to CC. The guy spews shit and all I want to do is tell him to STFU.

Totally agree.

Al Michaels is the closest to keeping a dialog with listeners about what's actually happening on the field, but he's from the old school as well.

There are some pretty good color guys and a lot more former players are doing well in that role, but dang it if the play by play guys aren't really dropping the ball.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
And every player is “one of the best in the league”.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Totally agree.

Al Michaels is the closest to keeping a dialog with listeners about what's actually happening on the field, but he's from the old school as well.

There are some pretty good color guys and a lot more former players are doing well in that role, but dang it if the play by play guys aren't really dropping the ball.
Everybody just talks to much. Play by play tell us down and distance, who is doing what, and score. Analyst give a break down of the play occasionally they can tell us a story about a guy, but mostly shut the fuck up. Wait for next play. I hate the Monday night crew. To many people for one thing. Then Bugger pops in from time to time to tell us what we already know.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

I prefered listening to Dodger games over watching on tv. Me and my brothers used to sit around the kitchen table and listen to Vin. He never missed a play and he explained all the nuances of the game as well as giving us insite to the players.
No one has come close to Vin.
Just listen to his call of the Kirk Gibson homer. Mike Davis is at second base, but the game right now is at the plate. High fly ball into deep right field. She is gone. Then he shuts up and lets the scene on tv tell you everthing. Then In a season that was filled with the improbable, the impossible has happened. A fucking genius.