You would think the McVay/Stafford combo could....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Nah... a fallacy of course.

Here is McVays rating for red zone TD % ( I left out 2022 since it was such an injury shit show)

4th
14th
19th
3rd
5th
14th

So he averages 9.8 out of 32 teams.
He was also 26th when the OC in Wash but his offense was top 10. So 3 really good seasons with 4 middle of the pack to bad seasons.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Going empty in the red zone makes little sense without a mobile QB. If the D blitzes and your first read isn't there it's over.

Ellard80

Legend
Which years are which? I wouldn't call it a fallacy necessarily based on what I'm looking at here. I see 3 really good finishes and 3 average finishes.
his average ranking is 9.8 out of 32 teams.... he only had one year below average.

The idea that he sucks in the red zone is totally false.

Ellard80

Legend
I suppose If we're being very literal about it. But even then , being league average means you struggled notably.
technically every year but one has been "above" average.

a Few years exceptional.

and thats just based on percentages... there are other factors as well.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
technically every year but one has been "above" average.

a Few years exceptional.

and thats just based on percentages... there are other factors as well.
Yeah definitely I can agree that those years were "above" average. But believe that there's plenty to be constructively critical about. Just above average just simply isn't good enough for deep playoff runs.

Ellard80

Legend
Yeah definitely I can agree that those years were "above" average. But believe that there's plenty to be constructively critical about. Just above average just simply isn't good enough for deep playoff runs.
You can be constructively critical of the game against Chicago for sure.

But to conclude that Sean McVay has a red zone deficiency over his career - is false.

over his carer he has a 9.8 average out of 32 teams.... he had one year below average.

Simply not true.

Ellard80

Legend
For purpose of comparison - here is Kyle Shanahan's redzone %

2017 - 27th
2018 - 32nd
2019 - 20th
2020 - 7th
2021 - 4th
2022 20ty
2023 - 1st (I'd call this the Christian McCaffery effect).

The offensive genius average is 15.8.... quite a bit worse than McVay.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can be constructively critical of the game against Chicago for sure.

But to conclude that Sean McVay has a red zone deficiency over his career - is false.

over his carer he has a 9.8 average out of 32 teams.... he had one year below average.

Simply not true.
I'm assuming you're aware that median and average aren't the same thing? Being middle of the pack doesn't mean you're average. And in my book being middle of the pack is not a good statistic. Being middle means you have deficiencies. If you didn't then you'd be good, not average. if your defense (like ours was in 2023 for example) is middle of the pack then that means they're decent but have issues. If your completion percentage is middle of the pack then that means you need to improve. So Mcvay has half where he was elite and not much to complain about and half where they had a lot that they needed to clean up. It would be false to say he's been abysmal in the red zone. It's not false to say he's had his struggles in multiple seasons. Respectfully of course.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
I'm assuming you're aware that median and average aren't the same thing? Being middle of the pack doesn't mean you're average. And in my book being middle of the pack is not a good statistic. Being middle means you have deficiencies. If you didn't then you'd be good, not average. if your defense (like ours was in 2023 for example) is middle of the pack then that means they're decent but have issues. If your completion percentage is middle of the pack then that means you need to improve. So Mcvay has half where he was elite and not much to complain about and half where they had a lot that they needed to clean up. It would be false to say he's been abysmal in the red zone. It's not false to say he's had his struggles in multiple seasons. Respectfully of course.
There is always room for improvement - but thats not the narrative. The narrative is that McVay is bad in the red zone, and that is not true. All you can do is look at the overall body of work. Every year has different factors, but in total he ranks well in the red zone.

The truth is that if you want to be great in the Red Zone - you need either a mobile QB or a punishing line and run game.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
I might not be remembering correctly but hasn't Mcvay traditionally struggled in the red zone? Hopefully last year wasn't the anomaly. I don't think it was for the record. Need Nacua and Kupp back for sure
He got a coach or coaches to help manage that. Didn't work

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Offensively, the solution is to pound the run in the redzone. We dont have the weapons to pass against a defense covering a condensed field.
I agree the run game is required until such time as we have at least one of Kupp or Nacua back.

But one problem with the run is you gotta be able to punt and play field position in order to fully commit to it. And this defense is not going to allow us to do that. This defense is built to shut down pass games when the offense puts up points. Also the secondary has disappointed greatly so they can't even really do that.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Demarcus Robinson is almost nothing without Kupp and Nacua hogging attention
Yep he's a depth wideout. Just like the rest of these guys. Including Tutu. Depth wideouts are the guys who can't carry the load vs top competition in those starting roles. Moving the chains requires consistent separation.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is always room for improvement - but thats not the narrative. The narrative is that McVay is bad in the red zone, and that is not true. All you can do is look at the overall body of work. Every year has different factors, but in total he ranks well in the red zone.

The truth is that if you want to be great in the Red Zone - you need either a mobile QB or a punishing line and run game.
I def disagree with him being bad in the red zone. People have lofty expectations. Probably because of how good he is ironically.