You know, I used to trust McVay unreservedly...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay is the best thing to happen to us since Vermiel. He isn't perfect. Newsflash.

Why he's the right guy: his standards are probably higher than anyone on this board.

We have a good team. The loss didn't change that.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
It was a weird game. The niners played the best they possibly could have and pulled it out.
They got up early and that hurt the Rams pass rush. Had that not happened the Rams pummel Jimmy Ghonareeah.
That wide open miss by Goff on the first game hurt. Its like McVays plan was to come out throwing and light the niners up early, did not happen. Should have run more early.
Thing about all that passing vs running, a lot more can go wrong and it did.
Kupp misses a TD, perfect pass. How many times does that happen ? Then Goff throws the pick in the end zone. The receivers let Goff down yesterday. but that is what can happen if you get away from running the rock.
McVay over thought it, everything went right for the Indian killers.
Payback will be a bitch. That TD that Kupp dropped and the missed extra point was the difference in winning and losing.
Rams will be back, they were the better team but lost. You could see the talent difference, Rams never got it all together. Division games, that can happen.
Cut the kicker, run the ball more and we will be in good shape.
Hey, even Arron Rodgers got beat up yesterday. Things happen man.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Did I miss something? Was it McVay that was off target on so many throws? Was it McVay that dropped passes he normally catches? Was it McVay or Staley that could not tackle for the first 25 and final 5 minutes of the game? Yes this loss hurts, but when players dont execute at the level we are accustomed to seeing why is it all of a sudden the coach that had a bad game plan? If Goff leads Woods instead of making him turn around into the defender, thats not poor game planning its poor execution. When Kupp drops a pass in the endzone thats not poor game planning its poor execution. When Goff throws the pass over Kupps left shoulder instead of leading to open field thats not poor game planning, its poor execution. The poor tackling again leads to execution, it looked to me after the whiners first TD the D was trying to hard to strip the ball instead of stopping the ball carrier.

It was frustrating watching the D play like crap to start the game then in the 2nd half play damn good until they needed 1 more stop. Once again the D only allowed 3 points in the 2nd half. What I dont understand is if Staley is making such good adjustments at halftime, why cant he make those adjustments earlier?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm old enough to remember when this thread came out way, way, way back in the day applauding our assistant coaches.
And by way, way, way back in the day I mean 4 days ago....

Whoa, dieter!

I love McVay and his asst coaches. As you point out by reminding me of a recent post of mine.

But that doesn’t mean that they’re all perfect. And I think I asked reasonable questions in my OP.

Do you disagree that they are reasonable questions, btw?

…..

Legend
For all the good things we can say about McVay, I think we owe it to ourselves to admit that dude will lay a big fat egg 2 to 3 times a year when we least expect it.

I spent the whole fkn game thinking “what the hell, did we tske the week off?”

I love the guy- but thats who he is based on our experience with him.

And to be clear- if the defense has a bad day, scheme, whaterver the case may be, i put that on the head coach too. So McVay inherits some unearned shit but thats just the way it is.

…..

Legend
McVay is the best thing to happen to us since Vermiel. He isn't perfect. Newsflash.

Why he's the right guy: his standards are probably higher than anyone on this board.

We have a good team. The loss didn't change that.

Very well said, even for a guy like me arguing that it was a shitty effort this week.

Ellard80

Legend
Umm yeah. That's like not showing up every 4 to 5 games. How is that good??? It's actually really bad when you consider the talent level of this Rams team along with scoring being up dramatically over the NFL the last few years.

Again I'm a McVay fan like everyone else. But he isn't a offensive genuis.

scoring well in 4 out of 5 games is bad??? thats silly.

plus this is just non-sense - for his career, counting this season his teams average 28.7 ppg for his career.

Not to mention the guy before him... im guessing his teams averaged around 17-18ppg?

plus its much too early in the guys career to make any concluding statements.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man it’s nice to have the ability to question a coach that has a record 37-17 as the Rams coach.

we, as fans, always know better after the fact.

we are the mmqbs.

we rule the world. or at least internet message boards.

HellRam

Starter
scoring well in 4 out of 5 games is bad??? thats silly.

plus this is just non-sense - for his career, counting this season his teams average 28.7 ppg for his career.

Not to mention the guy before him... im guessing his teams averaged around 17-18ppg?

plus its much too early in the guys career to make any concluding statements.

No disrespect but your argument is based off nothing. The Rams are currently 19th ppg. That's not scoring well. Nor is not showing for 4 to 5 games a year. Your spin doesn't negate the facts of the matter.

As your remark about the previous coach. Who cares??? Try staying on topic. Where do see me advocating Fisher. Get real dude.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
Umm yeah. That's like not showing up every 4 to 5 games. How is that good??? It's actually really bad when you consider the talent level of this Rams team along with scoring being up dramatically over the NFL the last few years.

Again I'm a McVay fan like everyone else. But he isn't a offensive genuis.

Also - the talent level? Really?

A bunch of no named lineman besides whitworth

Woods was nothing before he game here.... a young QB who looked like shit before McVay got here.

A pasty receiver from Division IIIIIII

Yeah some pretty crazy talent he has.

HellRam

Starter
Also - the talent level? Really?

Woods was nothing before he game here.... a young QB who looked like shit before McVay got here.

Yeah some pretty crazy talent he has.

Haha okay....

Yeah McVay has it so bad. Good luck trying to sale the idea Gurley, Cook, Kupp, Woods, Higbee and co are all so terrible.

Are you being argumentive just for the sake of it? This is crazy.

Ellard80

Legend
Haha okay....

Yeah McVay has it so bad. Good luck trying to sale the idea Gurley, Cook, Kupp, Woods, Higbee and co are all so terrible.

Are you being argumentive just for the sake of it? This is crazy.

can you refute what i said? Wood never did shit before Mcvay got his hands on him? Is Kupp from division 1? Are any of the lineman 1st round draft picks?

Was Goff not shitty before he got here?

HellRam

Starter
can you refute what i said? Wood never did shit before Mcvay got his hands on him? His Kupp not division 1? Are any of the lineman 1st roudn draft picks?

Was Goff not shitty before he got here?

Oh boy..

Goff was never bad. Watched him since his early days at CAL.

Woods has been a baller since USC. Not his fault Talyor couldn't throw down field.

You really trying to tell me Kupp isn't good because he wasnt a division 1?

I'm done here. This is absurd.

Ellard80

Legend
Oh boy..

Goff was never bad. Watched him since his early days at CAL.

Woods has been a baller since USC. Not his fault Talyor couldn't throw down field.

You really trying to tell me Kupp isn't good because he wasnt a division 1?

I'm done here. This is absurd.

Yeah that is disproving anything but thanks.

I'm not saying they suck - but the idea that We have this "all world" talent on offense is a fallacy. They have become productive once McVay the non-offensive genius got his hands on them.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Yea fuck this guy. We should of hired Anthony Lynn, Vance Joseph, or Doug marrone instead

HellRam

Starter
Yeah that is disproving anything but thanks.

The scheme that McVay put together allowed those guys to blossom.

Never said it didn't.

And yes it does disprove your premise that Goff, Woods and Kupp are bad football players. I'm utterly shocked you had balls to say this.

I'll tell you what. You got a bigger pair then me....

Ellard80

Legend
Never said it didn't.

And yes it does disprove your premise that Goff, Woods and Kupp are bad football players. I'm utterly shocked you had balls to say this.

I'll tell you what. You got a bigger pair then me....

Never said they were bad - nice try.

Here is another pro - tip - all the players that get drafted into the NFL are all talented and were studs in college.

In the end that means nothing.

HellRam

Starter
Never said they were bad - nice try.

Yes you did...

"Also - the talent level? Really?

Yeah some pretty crazy talent he has."

"can you refute what i said? Wood never did shit before Mcvay got his hands on him? Is Kupp from division 1? Are any of the lineman 1st round draft picks?"

Your quotes dude.