Yes, body slams are illegal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't think it has anything to do with it being the 49ers...it has everything to do with it being Jerome Boger and his crew.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe the official didn't see it? :cautious: Or the timing wasn't right for a 49ers penalty? Amazing how much laundry there was on the last drive.

That's the point. That on these critical Rams drives, the 49ers D gets all the liberties they need. But on 49ers key drives, everything is a penalty against the Rams D.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Case in point, the Fluker body slam.
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000257886/Fluker-body-slam

Why wasn't the Borland body slam called? Oh, cuz it was the 49ers who did it.
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000421800/Wk-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-The-Borland-Body-Slam

Amazingly, the Borland body slam of Mason is celebrated on NFL.COM. For clarity, it is not posted on NFL.COM because it was an illegal play that wasn't called, but that it was a spectacular and noteworthy play that should be celebrated. Even the link and the page title specifically say "body slam", the actual name of the infraction.

You can be darn certain that the refs would have called it if the Rams had picked up and suplex slammed Frank Gore.

I'm getting tired of the double standard.
As soon as the play happened, I was looking for flags to come from all directions, and I was amazed when none came!!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The NFL has the worst officiating in all of sports. They lead by a huge margin as far as I'm concerned. There really is no excuse for it. The NFL is failing.

It's so bad that there really is no more integrity left. Sad.

rams2050

Starter
Drew Brees got body-slammed and it must be illegal because the opposing team (player Munnerlyn) drew a 15-yard unsportsmanlike behavior penalty.

69superbowl

Rookie
I found the NFL rule on "body slamming":

Rule B.S.1(a): "When the team that has the player getting body slammed is crappy and from a small market area, and we ("The League") want the good (marketable) team the crappy team is playing to win, it's permissible, if not encouraged, for the marketable team to do whatever the F it wants to the player(s) on the crappy team without penalty or fine."

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The NFL has the worst officiating in all of sports. They lead by a huge margin as far as I'm concerned. There really is no excuse for it. The NFL is failing.

It's so bad that there really is no more integrity left. Sad.
And it is a sad, sad truth...especially when you consider how bad they have to be to be worse than the NHL.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Guarantee you that if it was Ogletree doing that to Gore, it would have been a penalty.

jjab360

Legend
Drew Brees got body-slammed and it must be illegal because the opposing team (player Munnerlyn) drew a 15-yard unsportsmanlike behavior penalty.
The words "body slam" might not be in the rulebook, but I think when it happened to Mason that was probably the first time I've seen it happen without getting penalized. I don't see what could be more "unnecessarily rough" or more "unsportsmanlike" than picking a guy you already have wrapped up off of the ground and slamming him down on his head/neck. There's just no point to it and it's a massive injury risk. The ballcarrier getting slammed can't even catch himself because he'll risk a fumble if he tries to put his hand out to keep from breaking his neck. That play not getting penalized goes against everything the league says about trying to avoid head/neck/concussion injuries.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Funny thing is, the Whiners hate Jerome Bogus too.

That flag against a clean Michael Brockers sack last year against Da Bears pissed me off too.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It was a fucking pile driver like slam. You see that shit in WWE.

Wait I forgot, pile drivers are illegal in regular WWE matches unless it's predetermined and both wrestlers have trained and practiced for it.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It was a freaking pile driver like slam. You see that crap in WWE.
At least in WWE, they're careful not to hurt each other. As I understand they practice things a lot and take injury prevention seriously.

Heck, that's not even legal in MMA. The lack of a penalty doesn't bother me so much as the potential for injury. They really really should fine players heavily to discourage that kind of thing.

And what's up with the 49ers players congratulating him on the "tackle"? Seriously, they're all professional athletes, it's not a stretch for them to visualize what could have happened, and how easily that could have happened to them. And, while I understand that Mason wasn't going to give up on forward progression, he could have easily dumped him before he went upside down. To people do that kind of thing, that was a very slow deliberate move that should never have happened.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I strive not to be homeristic in my point of view, but with the NFL's emphasis on excessive and unnecessary violence, there's no question that there should have been a penalty on this play. I also can't help but think if it was a marquee player being slammed, it would have drawn multiple flags. The Rams aren't the only team to be subjected to an apparent apathy and willingness by the league/officials to let them get posterized. Look at Brady with crossed eyes and you're going to get a 15 yard penalty. But if the 49ers or Seahawks plow Mike Glennon into the turf and it's just good defense.

Wait I forgot, pile drivers are illegal in regular WWE matches unless it's predetermined and both wrestlers have trained and practiced for it.

Because of this I believe?

It's also illegal in rugby league, it's just common sense.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Case in point, the Fluker body slam.
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000257886/Fluker-body-slam

Why wasn't the Borland body slam called? Oh, cuz it was the 49ers who did it.
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000421800/Wk-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-The-Borland-Body-Slam

Amazingly, the Borland body slam of Mason is celebrated on NFL.COM. For clarity, it is not posted on NFL.COM because it was an illegal play that wasn't called, but that it was a spectacular and noteworthy play that should be celebrated. Even the link and the page title specifically say "body slam", the actual name of the infraction.

You can be darn certain that the refs would have called it if the Rams had picked up and suplex slammed Frank Gore.

I'm getting tired of the double standard.

Even more important was the way he landed...That POS Borland could easily broken his neck there...Somebody actually said that was a great play ??? Unbelievable...

Sum1

Hall of Fame

Nah, more belly-to-back suplex gone wrong.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't think it has to do with the Rams, just the fact that the NFL is inconsistent and shitty as fuck. Rolando McClain tried to end Amendola and he got fined and penalized, then this happens.

I think it's more a testament to how inconsistent and useless the refs have been becoming for about 10+ years now.