Ye gods Hooey is bad

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Rams do need a reserve right OT. This Snead & Fisher team have completed three drafts now in which they drafted just ONE OL'er in the first two days of each of those three drafts....that one just happens to be an instant starter @ OLG. If this forum is disappointed in the OL play naturally .....there may need to be some more future investment in OL'ers during the first two days of the draft in 2015. Rams current reserves Barnes (WWC), Joseph (UFA), Bond (WWC), Person (WWC) & Hooey (UDFA). Zero is the number of OL'ers currently invested from the Ram draft picks in the Rams OL reserves. Still its good to recall that two of the top Ram OL'ers are out due to health issues.

Dare I say Barrett Jones was another draft pick? And my guess, barring another more pressing injury between now and then, he starts the year as the designated for return IR. Not sure if that addresses the RT issue, it does add to the overall depth concerns.

A320driver

Rookie
I was at the game tonight and Coach O is right ! He held up very well against there top rotation at RT.
He was pretty gassed by the end of the night, and got smoked at LT. Which he probably won't be asked to play.
That was only in the last of the game..A player after told me no big deal..he's been really playing RT well.
So there it is.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Dare I say Barrett Jones was another draft pick? And my guess, barring another more pressing injury between now and then, he starts the year as the designated for return IR. Not sure if that addresses the RT issue, it does add to the overall depth concerns.
Yes Barrett was CoachO but he was a third day last day pick, I still feel good about Barrett even though he appears to have been hit by another serious set back that is yet to be revealed. Never know Barrett has played OT and done well there even though most would laugh I sure would not sell Barrett short of being a decent back up @ Right OT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Who on this roster presently could play ORT if Barksdale goes down for period of time who is not slated to start elsewhere?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I expect the Rams will be drafting O Line early next year. Hope so, so the team is even stronger next year!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I expect the Rams will be drafting O Line early next year. Hope so, so the team is even stronger next year!

That sure looks like an almost certain prognostication of high probablity. The front office early next season will be forced to consider & ponder the true value of JB our starting ORT. JB has been a Ram for peanuts since 2012...that will not happen again he will demand a moderate nice contract based on his overall body of work. After all he did take Saffold's ORT job away from him & Saffold got a real nice $$$ fat contract. Plus Barksdale does not have the DARK CLOUD of 3 straight seasons of injuries in his resume.....matter of fact JB has a spotless positive resume in that performance column. Rams are desperate now to find a back up ORT imagine trying to find a starter @ ORT from this OL cadre now?:confused:

Guess they could consider flipping an aging 30 yr old Jake Long to the right OT spot & insert Robinson in @ OLT after a yr @ OLG experience. But then they are back to finding a good OLG .....something until this present time has been almost impossible too.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
They tried to move back up in the first rnd this year, after taking GRob. At least we know they are serious about the position.

A320driver

Rookie
Who on this roster presently could play ORT if Barksdale goes down for period of time who is not slated to start elsewhere?

My word...get through your little football minds ?
There is absolutely no Tackles out there who can come in here and replace Hooey.
Granted he totally imploded at LT , but as Coach O has stated he is the 5th tier guy at LT.
He is just a place holder until Jake, and Saffold get back..Robinson got smoked at least 2 times and know one gets excited because of all of the hype..even Mike person who is really an inside guy does better than freaking Hooey, and he is the third option, and BTW has, and will never see RT as an option because so far hooey has got the job done at RT and BTW Boys! This a team !
Boo knows what the hell he's doing ;)
If you all were really watching the game ? Rogers was lighting up our secondary because their WR corp ETAL. got a great release against our TOP guys, and created a "window" allowing Rogers to thread it into a whole Your HS QB could throw into.?
So do we still have the best DE corp in the NFC west?...he'll yes, but they were ineffective because Rogers was releasing every pass within 2 seconds.
Was that because of their Oline ?...F NO !!!
Trust me we are going to be fine...CALM THE F DOWN !
And for crying out loud quit putting all of the blame on an UDFA working his ass off for trying to make the roster for shit out of his control?...GEE and how much does he count against the cap ?
Stupid is stupid does !

TommerK

Rockin' Rams Fan
Name
Tom

Kick Saffold out to RT insert Joseph at RG.

A much better option than Hooey.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Kick Saffold out to RT insert Joseph at RG.
A much better option than Hooey.

Since the time I posted the question above .....HC Fisher has discussed OT Hooey a bit during the presser. Fisher said he fully realized the position he placed Hooey in (very difficult situation) when he was moved from the ORT to the OLT post. I think Fisher knew that there would be an outcry over Hooey's performance. Since then Hooey has come up in other articles on the Rams Packers game results.

Just maybe the Hooey event @ OLT is to lite a serious fire under Hooey so whatever Fisher & Boudreau see in him in order to bring his playing level up to what would be needed so he could be considered a possible ORT insertion maybe not early but later on IF Hooey were to make the master roster as the 10th OL'er. Maybe just maybe Hooey can be the next Joe Barksdale ?

My question was to seek some good updates comments (hopefully positive) on a question I have been asking early this year way before the May draft. It would seem that the present Ram position is .....if an injury occurred to the OLT or ORT that both starting OG's would be removed from their starting positions & placed in new OL positions. Thus causing a new OG to be inserted into the starting lineup. Removing your best starting OG's will weaken the OL seriously. But the present Ram OT candidates Person, Hooey, Van Dyk, Dill & Morrell may not be ready to be that OL'er. This has been a very common position of the Rams over the last two seasons. Rams used starting ORG Saffold to replace the injured OLT Long & then later they used the starting OLG Chris Williams to replace the injured Saffold @ OLT. Those results did not work out so well. We were very fortunate to have a reserve like Joe Barksdale @ ORT last yr when Saffold was hurt early in preseason & then again early in the regular season. The quick insertion of Barksdale a reserve & not a starter worked just fine did it not?

I said this before, Fisher & Boudreau would seem by design that the main fix to the Ram OL in case of injury....is the most injured OLer over the last three NFL seasons.... Rodger Saffold......... just does not sound right @ the moment but it would appear that your suggestion is the plan & has is the most common fix for most all here @ Rams On Demand.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I re-watched the first half of Rams / Packers trying to figure out where the breakdowns were. A lot of it was GRob who struggled at LT, and enough has been written about that.

But, although a bunch of folks have been commenting on how solid Person is in OTA/practice, he really got hit b*tt handed to him my Matt Daniels (#76) all through the first qtr. When Person moved out to LT, he did much better. In fairness, Matt Daniels was +17.3 from PFF last year, the 6th rated 3-4 DE, so he's been handing a lot of people's b*tts to them. But just let it be known that I'm not sold on Person at G, that T might be more his thing.

On the plus side, I was pleasantly surprised by Travis Bond who looked rock solid at RG. He was moving around pretty well for such an enormous man (6'6 330). Rams running game looked good enough with Robinson at LG, Bond at RG, Barnes at C, Cunningham at RB. Food for thought (where you need a lot of food to feed twin 330 lb Gs).

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
5th reaction (after heavy drinking): "Wait, we'd have Donald and Martin, but have lost Joyner..."
6th reachtion: *falls down*

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I re-watched the first half of Rams / Packers trying to figure out where the breakdowns were. A lot of it was GRob who struggled at LT, and enough has been written about that.

But, although a bunch of folks have been commenting on how solid Person is in OTA/practice, he really got hit b*tt handed to him my Matt Daniels (#76) all through the first qtr. When Person moved out to LT, he did much better. In fairness, Matt Daniels was +17.3 from PFF last year, the 6th rated 3-4 DE, so he's been handing a lot of people's b*tts to them. But just let it be known that I'm not sold on Person at G, that T might be more his thing.

On the plus side, I was pleasantly surprised by Travis Bond who looked rock solid at RG. He was moving around pretty well for such an enormous man (6'6 330). Rams running game looked good enough with Robinson at LG, Bond at RG, Barnes at C, Cunningham at RB. Food for thought (where you need a lot of food to feed twin 330 lb Gs).

With the likes of Davin Joseph, and Travis Bond as depth guys at Guard, Person won't be counted on much to play Guard. He will be considered a depth OT, and even a backup at Center.

Given that this is a thread about Sean Hooey, did you happen to notice how much better he was at RIGHT TACKLE? Everyone wants to pile on over his stint at LT, including the "professional" announcers we had to endure listening to on the broadcast. But if you realize that he was in the game from the 2nd qtr on, at RT, you will see he didn't play all that bad.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
With the likes of Davin Joseph, and Travis Bond as depth guys at Guard, Person won't be counted on much to play Guard. He will be considered a depth OT, and even a backup at Center.

Good point. Person will likely be on the 47 just for his versatility.

Given that this is a thread about Sean Hooey, did you happen to notice how much better he was at RIGHT TACKLE? Everyone wants to pile on over his stint at LT, including the "professional" announcers we had to endure listening to on the broadcast. But if you realize that he was in the game from the 2nd qtr on, at RT, you will see he didn't play all that bad.

He didn't embarrass himself at RT, true enough. But I think he might be competing with Van Dyk for the 61 now.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Good point. Person will likely be on the 47 just for his versatility..
why do you continue to refer to it as the "47"? it's a 45 man game day roster with an exemption for the 3rd QB. .....which will allow 46 if you dress
(designate) a 3rd QB.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Ya, he was getting beat like a tied up goat.