WR position remains Rams' biggest void

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Faceplant said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:
I guess I'm a lone wolf here. I don't think the Rams are in that bad of shape at WR going into next season IF everybody that was injured can come back strong. (Amendola, Salas, Clayton, etc.)

Would Blackmon be an attractive option? Hell yeah but I think there are bigger holes to fill now.
You are not alone. We are not that far away here at WR. Yes, there are much bigger holes to fill than signing a WR in the first round. Not that I'm against it if he's the best rated player where we pick, because it is a need.

As I see it, Rams 3 biggest needs are:

DT
CB
WR

As it happens, reportedly, those are the 3 deepest areas in this draft.
I agree that those are all big needs, unfortunately at CB. You don't think offensive line is a big need. Can you please explain?

At CB and DT the Rams need multiple picks. And one at each position will need to start from game one. But from a overall view there isn't a unit other than QB and DE that doesn't need a upgrade. With little left of the dev. type players still on the roster this will be the most important draft in years.
They have a core now so here comes the complementary players.

OL is the biggest need...If we can't keep Bradford vertical this team can'r win any games, period. Kalil is perfect if he's there, if not trade down is the common theme. and It's a great idea. But.

No Kalil I'm picking Trent Richardson at 2 or 3. Most talented player in the draft not named Luck. He's a playmaker and will put points on the board. He will help win games.

Wait, but we have SJax?
Not in my plan. it's time to give him a gold watch to match his spikes and move on. He's still great and one of the best in the game but Richardson will win the Rams more games over the next 4 years than Jackson and at a lower cap number. I'm taking Jacksons 6.34 cap money and getting two solid OL men. Don't need to be all pro types, but just steady and fit the blocking scheme. They must work well with the new OL coach.
Cap money is tight next season and sometimes you got to let go of the past to embrace the future.
It's about wins.

Hard to disagree with you there. You will probably catch hell for saying it, but SJ is not going to play at this level much longer. It may be time to move on.....

No one has more respect for all that Jax has done for the Rams than me. He is the Rams.

But it's about winning next year and in the future. After watching the Rams this year does anyone really think they will win a SB during his career.
At end of the day it's a about returning the Rams to glory, not about a jersey or a legacy.
Younger, faster and less cap footprint is the way to go.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Faceplant said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:
I guess I'm a lone wolf here. I don't think the Rams are in that bad of shape at WR going into next season IF everybody that was injured can come back strong. (Amendola, Salas, Clayton, etc.)

Would Blackmon be an attractive option? Hell yeah but I think there are bigger holes to fill now.
You are not alone. We are not that far away here at WR. Yes, there are much bigger holes to fill than signing a WR in the first round. Not that I'm against it if he's the best rated player where we pick, because it is a need.

DT
CB
WR

I agree that those are all big needs, unfortunately at CB. You don't think offensive line is a big need. Can you please explain?

At CB and DT the Rams need multiple picks. And one at each position will need to start from game one. But from a overall view there isn't a unit other than QB and DE that doesn't need a upgrade. With little left of the dev. type players still on the roster this will be the most important draft in years.

OL is the biggest need...If we can't keep Bradford vertical this team can'r win any games, period. Kalil is perfect if he's there, if not trade down is the common theme. and It's a great idea. But.

No Kalil I'm picking Trent Richardson at 2 or 3. Most talented player in the draft not named Luck. He's a playmaker and will put points on the board. He will help win games.

Wait, but we have SJax?
Not in my plan. it's time to give him a gold watch to match his spikes and move on. He's still great and one of the best in the game but Richardson will win the Rams more games over the next 4 years than Jackson and at a lower cap number. I'm taking Jacksons 6.34 cap money and getting two solid OL men. Don't need to be all pro types, but just steady and fit the blocking scheme. They must work well with the new OL coach.
Cap money is tight next season and sometimes you got to let go of the past to embrace the future.
It's about wins.

Hard to disagree with you there. You will probably catch hell for saying it, but SJ is not going to play at this level much longer. It may be time to move on.....
I wouldn't go with Richardson right now. Yes, he might be great, but we have so many needs that could be met by one of the top 5 players in the draft, that taking a RB in the first round doesn't make sense. Maybe taking a flyer in a guy in 4th or 5th round to see how they perform may be more beneficial right now. There's a reason why RBs aren't drafted very high anymore. Unless I think Richardson is Fault Part II, I'd go OT or WR

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
If we drafted Richardson Id want to keep SJ another year before we can strongly consider trading him. Id love to see a 1-2 punch with those 2, and have it be a balanced one.

Theres a lot of interesting scenarios for the teams that could be in the top 5. Jacksonville looks like a great fit for Blackmon because they really need more WR talent. Minnesota needs OL help and will strongly consider Morris Claiborne. Could end up with 3 QBs going in the top 10(Barkley, Luck, RGIII).

The combine will pretty interesting this year for WRs. Remember what happened with Jones last year? He was a stud, put up a good 40 time, and was doing it hurt. Did that play a factor in the Falcons jumping up to get him? Maybe. Do teams really put much stock in stuff that happens at the combine? If they do, it could really help WRs like Floyd and Blackmon if they put up good 40 times. My 2 favorite WRs going into this draft are Michael Floyd and Kendall Wright.

We also need to remember just how much offseason changes (coaching, FO) could change our draft approach.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
brokeu91 said:
Faceplant said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:

DT
CB
WR

Wait, but we have SJax?
It's about wins.

I wouldn't go with Richardson right now. Yes, he might be great, but we have so many needs that could be met by one of the top 5 players in the draft, that taking a RB in the first round doesn't make sense. Maybe taking a flyer in a guy in 4th or 5th round to see how they perform may be more beneficial right now. There's a reason why RBs aren't drafted very high anymore. Unless I think Richardson is Fault Part II, I'd go OT or WR

Its not a TR vs. SJ thing. It's about using SJ's cap dollars to bring in more players. Yes we can wait to get a back later on, but it has more risk. A CB would work if they let Bartell go , but he might be needed to fill in for Fletch early in the season.
Draft Kaili and it fixes LT, RT. and either G or forsure backup T. TR would do close to the same. Got to get multi. results for any move.
Rams need many players, many drafts worth to improve the starters and depth. This is the only way to build a winner fast and right. It's not about one player, it's about making the overall team better.
If there was a stud DE there when the Rams pick I could make the same argument about Long and his cap foot print and all the money it will take to re up him and I would be right.
Cap football is about getting the most talent possible within the limit.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Personally I feel there are better ways to get cap space than to cut probowl caliber players. Especially if that player is someone who gave up going elsewhere and most likely winning a Super Bowl to stay on the team and help rebuild it. To me that's almost like a slap in the face to Jackson.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Personally I feel there are better ways to get cap space than to cut probowl caliber players. Especially if that player is someone who gave up going elsewhere and most likely winning a Super Bowl to stay on the team and help rebuild it. To me that's almost like a slap in the face to Jackson.

Yeah it's a cruel world. I'm sure Bell thought it was a slap in the face when he was forced to restructre in training camp or be cut. Same if they restructre J. Smiths this year.
It's business and thats all it is.
But is it a slap in the face to the fans not try with all means possible to build the best team and win the most games.

Let me ask you this. If Biily D. said after next season... I'm not going to sign Long for 80 mil. over 7 years but I will get you a DE that gets 3 less sacks a year plus a stud DT and a starting CB. and use the comp pick for a G that will start in a couple years, would you take it ?

HornIt

UDFA
Horns of Gold said:
Consider this.....

Brandon Lloyd already leads the team with a whopping 430 yards.

18 tight ends have more yards than that. Disgraceful.

The revolving door at the #2 WR spot has got to be nailed shut. It's obvious that Lloyd is the only WR on the roster who has the tools to be on the field every snap.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved in the first round of the draft.

There is a void at WR, but there is also a void at QB right now. The play at QB has not been at a sufficient level to allow WR's to shine. Guys like MSW and Laurent Robinson look much better elsewhere, with other QB's. So has Lloyd for that matter.

Somebody like Amendola works because he does his best work within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. But when it comes to WR's who would/will make their value felt down the field and making the plays that result in scoring, the Rams have lacked the QB play that would allow them to consistently produce anything.

I'm on record as being all for Blackmon in this draft, but not because there is a void at WR. For me it's because Blackmon just may be the best player in the draft. But I'm also on record as being in favor of drafting Matt Barkley should he come out too, because that guy is going to be a really good NFL QB, and I sure would love to get Robert Woods the next draft to go with him too. That would fix a lot of problems right there IMO.

superfan24

Starter
bluecoconuts said:

Completely the way I feel about this. No way BD/Rams give up SJ. He's the Tebow of the Rams, but he's a pro bowl player and the face of the franchise.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yamahopper said:
bluecoconuts said:

Yeah it's a cruel world. I'm sure Bell thought it was a slap in the face when he was forced to restructre in training camp or be cut. Same if they restructre J. Smiths this year.
It's business and thats all it is.
But is it a slap in the face to the fans not try with all means possible to build the best team and win the most games.

Let me ask you this. If Biily D. said after next season... I'm not going to sign Long for 80 mil. over 7 years but I will get you a DE that gets 3 less sacks a year plus a stud DT and a starting CB. and use the comp pick for a G that will start in a couple years, would you take it ?

You can't compare Bell or Smith to Jackson, because they have been under-performing. Jackson gives his all week in and week out on a bad team when he could have left years ago with Holt, Bulger and Bruce.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
HornIt said:
I'm on record as being all for Blackmon in this draft, but not because there is a void at WR. For me it's because Blackmon just may be the best player in the draft. But I'm also on record as being in favor of drafting Matt Barkley should he come out too, because that guy is going to be a really good NFL QB, and I sure would love to get Robert Woods the next draft to go with him too. That would fix a lot of problems right there IMO.
what, exactly, are you saying about the Bradford experiment?

HornIt

UDFA
interference said:
HornIt said:

It was a mistake. Not because Bradford can't be a serviceable QB at some point, but because he's not what they thought/hoped they were getting when they gambled the future of the franchise on him. And when that becomes evident, you shouldn't compound the mistake by letting it result in future mistakes.

Pretty much the same thing I said about the Bulger experiment. When you have Matt Ryan sitting there, you take him and worry about what you do with Bulger and his big contract later.

Same deal exists today with Bradford and Barkley, except maybe the Rams can get something in trade for Bradford.

History is repeating itself. Will the Rams continue to repeat the same mistakes? I'm almost certain they will.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
HornIt said:
interference said:

It was a mistake. Not because Bradford can't be a serviceable QB at some point, but because he's not what they thought/hoped they were getting when they gambled the future of the franchise on him. And when that becomes evident, you shouldn't compound the mistake by letting it result in future mistakes.
I've never heard this before. Have you argued your position on this somewhere? I'd really like to better understand your insight and your football resume thats led you to your position. I'm open to just about everything right now. But if you're correct, then boy o boy did our player personnel dept F-up and should all be fired.

bluecoconuts

Legend
HornIt said:
interference said:
HornIt said:

Pretty much the same thing I said about the Bulger experiment. When you have Matt Ryan sitting there, you take him and worry about what you do with Bulger and his big contract later.

Same deal exists today with Bradford and Barkley, except maybe the Rams can get something in trade for Bradford.

History is repeating itself. Will the Rams continue to repeat the same mistakes? I'm almost certain they will.

So what you're saying is you're in favor of drafting a QB #1 overall, paying him 70M, with 50 guaranteed, watching him become ROY while breaking records that stood for years, without s good WR group, had his jersey enshrined in the HOF, then after a lockout when half the team gets injured he gets the crap pounded out of him and the team as a whole fails usually when he is one of the few quality players on the field, you wanna go "Well he sucks we should just try again!"

HornIt

UDFA
interference said:
HornIt said:
interference said:

I've never heard this before. Have you argued your position on this somewhere? I'd really like to better understand your insight and your football resume thats led you to your position. I'm open to just about everything right now. But if you're correct, then boy o boy did our player personnel dept F-up and should all be fired.

Am I really the first person you've heard say gambling the franchise on Bradford was a mistake?

Look at this team. Look at this offense. This is the worst Rams team perhaps ever, and certainly worst offense ever, which is really saying something. I'm honestly not sure how any conclusion other than the personnel dept f'd-up is possible.

bluecoconuts

Legend
HornIt said:
interference said:
HornIt said:
interference said:

Am I really the first person you've heard say gambling the franchise on Bradford was a mistake?

Look at this team. Look at this offense. This is the worst Rams team perhaps ever, and certainly worst offense ever, which is really saying something. I'm honestly not sure how any conclusion other than the personnel dept f'd-up is possible.

Is Bradford supposed to block for himself and catch his own passes?

HornIt

UDFA
bluecoconuts said:
So what you're saying is you're in favor of drafting a QB #1 overall, paying him 70M, with 50 guaranteed, watching him become ROY while breaking records that stood for years, without s good WR group, had his jersey enshrined in the HOF, then after a lockout when half the team gets injured he gets the crap pounded out of him and the team as a whole fails usually when he is one of the few quality players on the field, you wanna go "Well he sucks we should just try again!"

No, not what I'm saying.

I wasn't in favor of any of it to begin with.

History is full or ROY players who weren't what they were cracked up to be. In fact, we have another one on our roster right now in Cadillac Williams. ROY is also a relative and political award. He won it by completing a bunch of 5 yard passes and mostly in the first half of the season. The records he set were for attempts and completions for a rookie. This is like the ROY award itself with respect to what it means in the realm of actual accomplishment and results, which is meaningless.

When the degree of difficulty is notched up, it's a problem. He doesn't demonstrate any of the things the great ones do from a vision, pocket presence, ball placement, accuracy down the field, leadership, etc. perspective.

The "he sucks" thing are your words, not mine. Mine are that he's not great and he's not going to be. It is true he does suck at the moment though. One of the bottom 3 QB's in the NFL, all of which were locked out. But that doesn't mean he'll always suck. He may become a serviceable QB that you can win with as long as you surround him with lots of talent, which you seem to be saying as well is what he needs to accomplish that.

The Bulger debates all over again from 2007/8. Just replace ROY with Pro Bowl and Bulger with Bradford, rinse and repeat.

bluecoconuts

Legend
HornIt said:
bluecoconuts said:

No, not what I'm saying.

History is full or ROY players who weren't what they were cracked up to be. In fact, we have another one on our roster right now in Cadillac Williams. ROY is also a relative and political award. He won it by completing a bunch of 5 yard passes and mostly in the first half of the season. The records he set were for attempts and completions for a rookie. This is like the ROY award itself with respect to what it means in the realm of actual accomplishment and results, which is meaningless.

When the degree of difficulty is notched up, it's a problem. He doesn't demonstrate any of the things the great ones do from a vision, pocket presence, ball placement, accuracy down the field, leadership, etc. perspective.

The "he sucks" thing are your words, not mine. Mine are that he's not great and he's not going to be. It is true he does suck at the moment though. One of the bottom 3 QB's in the NFL, all of which were locked out. But that doesn't mean he'll always suck. He may become a serviceable QB that you can win with as long as you surround him with lots of talent, which you seem to be saying as well is what he needs to accomplish that.

The Bulger debates all over again from 2007/8. Just replace ROY with Pro Bowl and Bulger with Bradford, rinse and repeat.

These aren't the Bulger debates all over again. I'm just not even going to argue with this, I have yet to see you contribute to this board, and I don't expect you to begin now. As of such, I really don't feel like listening to it all because quite frankly you're just depressing and you're killing the vibe that we have here. You don't have to be delusional all the time, but it helps if you have real arguments. We can all agree that Bradford hasn't been statistically amazing this season, but you don't even believe in him.

In short, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
HornIt said:
bluecoconuts said:

No, not what I'm saying.

So you're willing to already make that conclusion? We took a big risk with Bradford by having him change offenses after his rookie year. It backfired. Look at a lot of ther other young QBs, they did not have to go through this. The OL is the big problem here, weve tried to rebuild it from scratch ever since Devaney arrived and it hasnt payed off.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
HornIt said:
bluecoconuts said:

No, not what I'm saying.

So you're willing to already make that conclusion? We took a big risk with Bradford by having him change offenses after his rookie year. It backfired. Look at a lot of ther other young QBs, they did not have to go through this. The OL is the big problem here, weve tried to rebuild it from scratch ever since Devaney arrived and it hasnt payed off.
Yes. He is. And that's something you can never, EVER argue with. Basing an argument on an assumption is one thing, but trying to have a logical debate with the person who is doing that is quite another. He's got a handle at the PD. Let him join the other Kreskins in the slam fest.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
HornIt said:
bluecoconuts said:

No, not what I'm saying.

I just don't get why so many people are giving up on Bradford already? How is this season his fault exactly? He did not have recievers who got open. He didn't have an O-line that gave him enough time for the receivers to get open. Other than Jackson (who got hurt on the second play of the year) he didn't have any playmakers. His #1 target got hurt on the first game. We finally get him a weapon (Lloyd) but then the O-line goes to injury hell. On top of all of that he is now playing in a much more complex offense without the benefit of minicamps and a full preseason. Good god, give the man a break.