WR depth chart now and draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
We are one Cooper Kupp injury away from boasting arguably the worst WR group in the league, IMO.

And Kupp is just starting to age and has a tendency to get dinged up. He has lots of elite gas left in the tank. But it would be foolish to expect him to miss 0 games. That should be a welcome surprise. Not the expectation.

I don't know if the Rams look to upgrade WR via the draft, be it this year or next, or via all the cap room they are banking for 2024. But I expect some real assets to be allocated to the WR room sooner rather than later by the Rams.

I particularly expect some big WRs moves soon-ish as McVay seems to favour an offense with at least 2+ very high calibre WRs at all times. Woods, Kupp, Cooks, Watkins, OBJ.... the Rams under McVay have consistently taken aggressive steps to ensure the WR is strong. Recent draft picks, although arguably whiffs, also support the theory that McVay prioritises the WR position, selecting players like Atwell when there were other areas of perceived greater need.

If one of the young players in-house can really step up, and unexpectedly fill the need for a star WR internally, that will be most welcome. But I am not holding my breath on that. The current group of WRs seem more like supporting cast players. They might well prove useful pieces, but not players to build around.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We are one Cooper Kupp injury away from boasting arguably the worst WR group in the league, IMO.

And Kupp is just starting to age and has a tendency to get dinged up. He has lots of elite gas left in the tank. But it would be foolish to expect him to miss 0 games. That should be a welcome surprise. Not the expectation.

I don't know if the Rams look to upgrade WR via the draft, be it this year or next, or via all the cap room they are banking for 2024. But I expect some real assets to be allocated to the WR room sooner rather than later by the Rams.

I particularly expect some big WRs moves soon-ish as McVay seems to favour an offense with at least 2+ very high calibre WRs at all times. Woods, Kupp, Cooks, Watkins, OBJ.... the Rams under McVay have consistently taken aggressive steps to ensure the WR is strong. Recent draft picks, although arguably whiffs, also support the theory that McVay prioritises the WR position, selecting players like Atwell when there were other areas of perceived greater need.

If one of the young players in-house can really step up, and unexpectedly fill the need for a star WR internally, that will be most welcome. But I am not holding my breath on that. The current group of WRs seem more like supporting cast players. They might well prove useful pieces, but not players to build around.

I saw somewhere where to be a really successful NFL offense, you need to have three plus level pass catchers on your roster. McVay has typically had them come from the WR's on the roster (though Gurley was one too) but many other teams have them come from TE's and RB's (KC, Eagles, Chargers, Raiders, Saints, etc...)

Right now we have 1 1/2 plus level pass catchers on our roster. Kupp and Jefferson. Yeah, I'm including Jefferson as 1/2 cause I think there's a good chance if he stays healthy, he can max out a tiny bit more and become a legit WR 2 and a full plus level pass catcher.

That still leaves us looking for a 3rd plus level pass catcher on the roster (not to mention guys who can eventually take over for Kupp as you've said). I expect the Rams to try to draft more than one from the WR, TE, RB's in the draft. The question is just where do they come from.

dang

Legend
I'd rather they keep Jefferson. They don't necessarily have to move on from him just because its the final year of his contract. If he shows he can be a legit WR2 to compliment Kupp they can extend him. Not to mention if they surprise this year and contend they're gonna need as much help their as they can get.
I like the concept of a WR1A/WR1B. Kupp is amazing and could be a 1A/1B for 4+ more years. The Rams need a WR1B like they had with Woods and were moving towards with OBJ before he got hurt. Jefferson is a solid WR3 but he’ll never be a WR1B and I doubt he’ll ever be a consistently good WR2. Look at what the Bengals currently have for the model.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'd be shocked if we don't walk away from this draft with picks at TE and WR. The question is, which comes first?
I'd be shocked if we didn't come away with picks at TE, WR AND RB!!! They did say they were going to get the offense back up to snuff.

oldnotdead

Legend
Given the limited picks and the fact there are always good WRs in every draft I don't see WR as a priority over QB2, edge or CB. Then add P, and PK and I don't see a WR being taken earlier than late 5th. Tutu had a breakout year in terms of showing he can actually play as a WR in the NFL. I think he will rotate with Skowronek at Y with Tutu starting. Jefferson, Tutu and Kupp give them 3 WRs who threaten a secondary at all three levels making it harder to defend. All three can take an intermediate pass and blow it open with big YAC.

With Long again I don't see the pressing need this draft. I see them going with Higbee, Long and Hopkins. RB3 IMO will come in round 6. With Akers and Williams, RB3 really is a backup position. Unlike other skill positions, RB is the one where a rookie can play well so they can take one in 2024 if so inclined. I see them making a reasonable offer to Cam if not he becomes a comp pick and they draft a RB in 2024.

OL depth will probably go OT & OG/C depending upon how Allen plays this year. With Shelton signed there is no urgency at C. Like TE, and RB they are in wait and see mode.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I saw somewhere where to be a really successful NFL offense, you need to have three plus level pass catchers on your roster. McVay has typically had them come from the WR's on the roster (though Gurley was one too) but many other teams have them come from TE's and RB's (KC, Eagles, Chargers, Raiders, Saints, etc...)

Right now we have 1 1/2 plus level pass catchers on our roster. Kupp and Jefferson. Yeah, I'm including Jefferson as 1/2 cause I think there's a good chance if he stays healthy, he can max out a tiny bit more and become a legit WR 2 and a full plus level pass catcher.

That still leaves us looking for a 3rd plus level pass catcher on the roster (not to mention guys who can eventually take over for Kupp as you've said). I expect the Rams to try to draft more than one from the WR, TE, RB's in the draft. The question is just where do they come from.
Good summary of the WRs.

Imo Rams also need more speed and/or quickness. Someone with dynamic ability to get open. Stretch the field, in any direction, open the field more for Kupp. Help create explosives, as McVay always used to talk about. Not just Kupp and a possession game (such as AR might have offered had they thrown him the ball.)

Maybe Jefferson has it, but haven't seen it reflected in production on the field or downfield catches. May have good top speed but doesn't seem to have great quickness or great routes. 1/2 as you say. Glass half empty. Atwell has great speed, but not sure about his cutting ability. Rams also haven't made much use of him so far, and not clear he can be an every down receiver with a full route tree.

After trading Cooks, Rams have tried to get more speed/ explosiveness back with DJax, Atwell and OBJ. It worked with OBJ, who probably wasn't a sprinter by the time he was with the Rams but had great cutting ability, could always get open and was a threat anywhere on the field.

Who in the draft can help bring this dynamic element at WR back for the Rams?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yes having a backup to Kupp is crucial. We're not the same offense without him and that has been true for a long time now. And his primary role is threat in the slot, though of course he can play outside the hash just fine as well. So if you boil it down what they need is a backup slot option.

Which, btw, can be a TE or a WR. If the TE is good enough in the pass game. And lo and behold, I give you LaPorta sitting there on the board for us offering that and more. :part:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Good summary of the WRs.

Imo Rams also need more speed and/or quickness. Someone with dynamic ability to get open. Stretch the field, in any direction, open the field more for Kupp. Help create explosives, as McVay always used to talk about. Not just Kupp and a possession game (such as AR might have offered had they thrown him the ball.)

Maybe Jefferson has it, but haven't seen it reflected in production on the field or downfield catches. May have good top speed but doesn't seem to have great quickness or great routes. 1/2 as you say. Glass half empty. Atwell has great speed, but not sure about his cutting ability. Rams also haven't made much use of him so far, and not clear he can be an every down receiver with a full route tree.

After trading Cooks, Rams have tried to get more speed/ explosiveness back with DJax, Atwell and OBJ. It worked with OBJ, who probably wasn't a sprinter by the time he was with the Rams but had great cutting ability, could always get open and was a threat anywhere on the field.

Who in the draft can help bring this dynamic element at WR back for the Rams?

I'm not a huge fan of Gibbs at 36 but if he was there, I could see him being the pick and I'd be fine with it. Explosive, can catch (Saints old GM said best hands of all pass catchers in the draft). Other explosive playmakers can be had later in the draft but they all have far more warts on them. There are many guys who look like Atwell size wise (actually a touch, just a touch bigger) but are fast AND far more shiftier than him. I do think the size on that kid from Mich ST is just okay and he would be a good explosive pick (adding not just the explosiveness at WR but at KR and PR too).

WestCoastRam

Legend
Eight WRs had some sort of pre-draft visit with the Rams...

gonna have a lot of heads explode when the Rams take a WR over one of these pretty good TE's on the board.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well if LaPorta has a medical flag I'd pass on him. Love the player but honestly we cannot afford to whiff on these early picks they need to be ready to produce along with some upside to them.

I do agree they'll take WR most likely. That's the trend plus the interview list speaks pretty loudly. But maybe the Rams are playing some mindgames or have interviews we don't know about.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
…or maybe they just can’t seem to find one they like.
It’s ok to grab one late and focus more on a TE earlier because of the strength of this draft.

With both a 1rst and 2nd round pick next year, they can grab practically anybody they want in ‘24.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Agreed. I mean, even WITH Kupp, this WR unit has to be bottom 10 at best.

I'd be stunned if they don't add a WR(s) in the draft or otherwise. McVay says he want to focus on offense and scoring points. I just don't yet see where they have the talent to accomplish that.

We all blame the OL for last year, but that offense was Rob BoreUs bad. They need horses for Sean's offense to scare people. It was at its peak in 2018. This roster does not resemble that one...... At all. Here's hoping they have some tricks up their sleeves!!

jap

Legend
Rams have said they want to fix offense this year and try to shoot it out with teams with a green defense so I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility and we should be reasonably prepared for it. However, if a really good edge or CB is there, I suspect they'll got with them as they're premium positions on D.
Be careful with believing what the Horns say pre-draft. These guys are experts at blowing smoke at the rest if the NFL & media.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Be careful with believing what the Horns say pre-draft. These guys are experts at blowing smoke at the rest if the NFL & media.

Are they? I feel like the preponderance of evidence is that they do what they say for now.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Eight WRs had some sort of pre-draft visit with the Rams...

gonna have a lot of heads explode when the Rams take a WR over one of these pretty good TE's on the board.

lol not mine...i expect it..and TE historically isn't a primary read for the Rams. Maybe they would if they had a Kyle Pitts but they don't so they use 3 WRs. Which has worked out.

IDK if you can use Tutu and VJ on each and every play on 3 WRs so you'll need a guy opposite Cooper. Besides its a QB-WR league and the transition has been easier in recent years for WRs to the pros. Seems like 4 - 5 rookies every year are hits.

Ram65

Legend
I'm not a huge fan of Gibbs at 36 but if he was there, I could see him being the pick and I'd be fine with it. Explosive, can catch (Saints old GM said best hands of all pass catchers in the draft). Other explosive playmakers can be had later in the draft but they all have far more warts on them.

I get the feeling that Gibbs is a McVay type of player. He would be used as both a RB and WRs in the slot. He takes over the Woods/Powell WR run plays and would be better than both of his predecessors. I could see him getting 15 touches running and catching. I can see McVay creating lots of mismatches with him that will open things up for Kupp and the others. He can the explosives on offense that McVay looks for.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hyperbole so thick you could cut it with a steak knife and have a good dinner :)

WestCoastRam

Legend
I get the feeling that Gibbs is a McVay type of player. He would be used as both a RB and WRs in the slot. He takes over the Woods/Powell WR run plays and would be better than both of his predecessors. I could see him getting 15 touches running and catching. I can see McVay creating lots of mismatches with him that will open things up for Kupp and the others. He can the explosives on offense that McVay looks for.

He could very well be that player. I will say this, I don't think you take a RB high these days unless he's Bijan OR that player can run WR routes from the slot. It's why we tried to trade the farm for McCaffery. It's all prob moot as he'll be gone by 36, I don't see him escaping the 1st round with what he can do catching the ball.

oldnotdead

Legend
Okay, so who were their WRs in 2021? Who did they have when they won the Lombardi? Yeah, the WRs the Rams have are trash. God same stuff every year.

WR in the 5th maybe. They are 4 deep at WR and only carry 5 or 6 on the roster. They are 1 deep at QB and have only 2 edges. I think they have higher priorities this year than WR. WRs can be found in every draft.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
This year we need to see what Atwell Skow and McCutcheon have. Also need to see if Jefferson steps up and proves to be worth another contract (if we don’t trade him). I hope we don’t invest much more at the WR position