WR depth chart now and draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
So, how does it look?

X - Jefferson, McCutcheon
Slot - Kupp
Z - Kupp/Atwell/Skow

- Trammell

From the looks of it, we need an upgrade at X (though we could get by with Jefferson) and we'll need to start thinking of a slot to eventually take over for Kupp. (Don't be lulled into thinking Atwell can play slot just cause he's small, sadly he doesn't have the change of direction to be a significant threat there nor is he big enough to just body CBs in the middle of the field.)

This is a pretty bad draft class for receivers in general but there are a lot of small, fast and good change of direction players that have some inside/outside flexibility - just no dominate X's. Don't be surprised if the Rams draft a guy who looks like a Atwell clone in the draft but the reality is they will be looking at a guy much shiftier to eventually take over the slot from Kupp and probably will end up playing some on the outside too. That and a big bodied TE who can line up wide seems like what we might end up seeing in two weeks.

Oh, and perhaps a cheap veteran cut at X after the draft to free up Jefferson for the Z when Kupp is in the slot.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally I hope they look for a camp cut to fill a WR spot. Not a fan of these undersized guys who get lit up by a 220lbs safety and sit on IR. I may be a bit jaded by Tutu and Tavon.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Solid group they can add to or not. Hoping they go TE and upgrade the weapons that route while also being Higs replacement next year. Then we may see some 12 sets.

But if they go wideout here's hoping they hit on the pick. Whatever they do just hit because the need list is long.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just went back to look at some games after Robinson went down and looks like Skow was taking a decent amount of reps at X which probably is the way it should be as Jefferson will be a more effective Z.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Solid group they can add to or not. Hoping they go TE and upgrade the weapons that route while also being Higs replacement next year. Then we may see some 12 sets.

But if they go wideout here's hoping they hit on the pick. Whatever they do just hit because the need list is long.

I'd be shocked if we don't walk away from this draft with picks at TE and WR. The question is, which comes first?

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I could see them moving Jefferson too. He is a FA after this year and they seem to be focused on the future.

And I think Kupp/Atwell/Skow/McCutcheon could be still be surprisingly good.

I don’t see them investing any high picks or money into WR this year.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be shocked if we don't walk away from this draft with picks at TE and WR. The question is, which comes first?
TE is the bigger need I think, and this class is fantastic. If they don't come away with one of them I'm gonna be irritated. That would be par for the course though of late with this team. They are every bit a top franchise and do a lot of things really well like their ability to cut bait on bad decisions, but their drafts have not been good. Will not be surprised if we prioritize an undersized receiver instead and end up watching the guys most of us like play TE in Green Bay or whatever.

If they go say DE and CB with the first two picks and they're strong additions though I won't complain. Main thing is I want to know we have a strong draft by pulling in guys with good strong film, start-immediately potential, and who are not injury risks. But I do expect them to get one of these TEs at some point and hopefully sooner than later.

McVay has been trying to fill TE. He's just missed over and over on the guys we've brought in. And Higs is gone next year. So it's a big need for the offense, probably the biggest on that side of the ball not OL. Since they're probably gonna ignore the OL again until late rounds where they add those guys for the depth chart.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I don't wanted any wr picks let's see if Atwell and McCutchen can make a dent in the lineup we have so many holes I would address the CB with 2 picks, 2 OLBs, 1 NT, 1 BU QB, 1 K, 1 P, 1 iOL, 1 RB, 1 TE.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
So far looking like we won't do shit in 2023 but to be quite honest, this is a route, if done right, can cut the pain of sucking short. We have more holes than swiss cheese right now and a lot of unproven players. Gonna be interesting to see who rises to the occasion this year as I'm looking at this team as tryouts for the future Rams starting in 2024.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Just went back to look at some games after Robinson went down and looks like Skow was taking a decent amount of reps at X which probably is the way it should be as Jefferson will be a more effective Z.
Part of McVay’s offensive scheme is that he doesnt follow X/Y/Z designations for receivers. He lines them up all over the formation (even sometimes in the backfield) to keep the defense guessing and scheme guys open.

A critical component of being able to do this is having WRs who can block at a high level. I would expect us to take a late round developmental guy with a big body like Skow rather than another Tutu type.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Part of McVay’s offensive scheme is that he doesnt follow X/Y/Z designations for receivers. He lines them up all over the formation (even sometimes in the backfield) to keep the defense guessing and scheme guys open.

A critical component of being able to do this is having WRs who can block at a high level. I would expect us to take a late round developmental guy with a big body like Skow rather than another Tutu type.

I wouldn't get too lost in the designations as those receivers can line up all over the formation, imagine that the X/Z and slot designations are just labels for what their jobs mainly are and not what their jobs always are. Also, I believe Y is the designation almost exclusively for the inline tight end. And yes, blocking has been a huge part of what McVay wants in a receiver but that's not a strength of this class at all.

muggmeister

Starter
Think before you post...Well that just takes the damn fun out of it. I was hoping that just maybe A-Rob would stick and actually perform but hence, no more. If we are going to use this year to prep for '24 then WR could be addressed at #36 say if somehow Jaylin Hyatt were to fall. It usually takes 2 years for MOST WRs to make a substantial impact and Hyatt would be exactly what this team could use to open up underneath routes for Kupp and company. I also know a lot of folks here are clamoring for an early TE but we need some real competition at all 3 IOL positions before we need a 4th TE. If we were Super Bowl or bust this year, then yes, I would love to add a seam-stretching TE from this draft, but that is not the case. There are also a couple of potentially real good WRs who might be available in rd3,Cedric Tillman, also from Tennessee, Boutte from LSU, Mims from Oklahoma, and a few others who could use a year to develop who could fit prominently into the future. Also, please no more talk of Gibbs at #36, too many other needs.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think whether QJ is worth the pick comes down to how he's wired. Is he competitive, a good teammate, does he work hard, etc. None of which are things we are privy to, so yeah he worries me too as a pick but not gonna lie the thought of that dude in our offense is exciting.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think whether QJ is worth the pick comes down to how he's wired. Is he competitive, a good teammate, does he work hard, etc. None of which are things we are privy to, so yeah he worries me too as a pick but not gonna lie the thought of that dude in our offense is exciting.

I hear you... I feel like I'm watching a late night info-mercial for 8 minute abs. The dream sounds great... but the reality, not so much.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Honestly, there's something to dislike about every receiver in this draft and sometimes multiple things. Rams seem to be looking for "pass-catchers" which is interesting as that doesn't specify WRs. I'm sure they'll draft one this year but I expect them to grab a pass catcher at TE or RB too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I could see them moving Jefferson too. He is a FA after this year and they seem to be focused on the future.

This is Sean McVay that you are talking about. He had to have Atwell, ignoring a great opportunity to fill other real needs. Then he doesn't use him. I am expecting an offensive skill position player early, because all of the real needs are on defense.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I'd rather they keep Jefferson. They don't necessarily have to move on from him just because its the final year of his contract. If he shows he can be a legit WR2 to compliment Kupp they can extend him. Not to mention if they surprise this year and contend they're gonna need as much help their as they can get.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This is Sean McVay that you are talking about. He had to have Atwell, ignoring a great opportunity to fill other real needs. Then he doesn't use him. I am expecting an offensive skill position player early, because all of the real needs are on defense.
Rams have said they want to fix offense this year and try to shoot it out with teams with a green defense so I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility and we should be reasonably prepared for it. However, if a really good edge or CB is there, I suspect they'll got with them as they're premium positions on D.