With the 176th pick in the draft the Rams select John Kelly RB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I watch a lot of SEC football and believe me this kid was a steal in the 6th round. He would be good enough to start on some NFL teams.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not sure your point. Coming on here, posting Brown's highlight reel on a Kelly forum thread.

Great, Brown was good in college. He's a perennial backup in the NFL. Time for Kelly to make it a competition. May the best man win.

With the receiving skills Kelly has and the ability to make people miss, easily and often

A Gurley + Kelly combo could be Thunder + Lightning in LA.

The Brown video was simply a reminder of him and how physical he was rushing the ball in college since some seemed taken by Kelly's physical college highlights. And Kelly, too, if he makes the team, will be a perennial backup if he's behind Gurley.

I have no problem with the Rams adding competition. I'm just questioning how this kid is getting so much praise when almost half of his rushing production this season came in just 3 of 11 games ( the main source of his highlight videos).

I wasn't impressed when I watched him vs. Missouri when he averaged 1.9 yards per carry and had 6 receptions for 13 yards. And I didn't like reading that he averaged 1.9 yards per carry the next game and 2.0 yards per carry to end the season. I'm surprised that he even declared quite frankly.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/In-Their-Own-Words-Kelly-Ready-to-Compete-in-Running-Backs-Room/b1344984-e405-4957-a1f2-b11270d40376

Kelly Ready to Compete in Running Backs Room
Kristen Lago

Rams running back John Kelly had the unique opportunity to learn from one of the league’s brightest talents while at Tennessee. For two seasons, the dual-threat back got the chance to develop under the reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year, Alvin Kamara, before having his own breakout season last year.

Kelly finished his junior campaign with a team-high 831 rushing yards and nine touchdowns on 189 carries. He became one of just four players in the country to lead his team in both rushing yards and receptions.

In 2018, the running back will once again have the chance to learn from one of the NFL’s best, a former Offensive Rookie of the Year and the current AP Offensive Player of the Year, Todd Gurley — something Kelly is looking forward to taking full advantage of.

Here is John Kelly in his own words:

On how he feels about being drafted by the Rams:

“This feels unreal. I can’t even explain it. I’m so blessed. I felt comfortable with foregoing my senior season and taking my next step in my football process. I mean it just landed me a job with the Rams, so I feel like I made a good decision. I’m blessed.”

On taking on a bigger role as a pass-catching running back at Tennessee:

“I just wanted to show my versatility in the game. I got a chance to learn from guys like Alvin and just do work with the receivers and everything. I definitely just wanted to be able to incorporate the route running and pass-catching in my game because I know it translates to the league. So, I was just blessed to have a guy like Alvin that was able to show me how to perfect my craft on that.”

On what it was like watching his ex-teammate Alvin Kamara make an impact in the NFL and if he thinks he can make an impact himself:

“Yeah, definitely. Me just being able to watch him work at practice and caught everything, translated to the league. I expected him to do the great things that he did and just having a guy like that is motivation for all the younger guys that are under him. So, that definitely motivated me a lot, too, as I continued.”

On watching Todd Gurley throughout the years and what he thinks he can contribute in the running backs room:

“Oh yeah, I definitely got a chance to watch Todd play over the years. I think he’s a great back in the league, obviously. I really just can’t wait to be able to learn some of the things that he was able to do and just be able to compete with him at practice. So I’m definitely looking forward to it.”

Ants

Starter
I miss Bam Bam.

Me too. Benny was a very underrated RB with the Rams.
Brown is too slow, but he does finish his runs well - which is important.
I really like the Kelly pick. He's a strong runner - more quick than fast, and he fights for every yard.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Me too. Benny was a very underrated RB with the Rams.
Brown is too slow, but he does finish his runs well - which is important.
I really like the Kelly pick. He's a strong runner - more quick than fast, and he fights for every yard.

I think he is slower than Bam Bam or Brown, tbh.
No other team saw this diamond in the rough and felt he was worth more than a 6th?

I hope Kelly is the stud some make him out to be. But I see a good college back who was drafted where he should be.