Will the Rams ignore conventional wisdom and make offense the priority?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I love how no one knows shit about what the Rams will do. A lot of great thoughts and ideas for sure, but also goes to show you our GM and head coach keep everyone on their toes as to what is next. Getting antsy seeing what direction is taken.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think what Merlin is saying is that the Rams are somewhat handcuffed financially by Noteboom's contract (particularly given that he is not slated to be a starter) and they can't/don't wish to give Jackson a long-term deal as a result. Jackson could prove himself this year and earn a long-term deal, or LT could become a priority in next year's draft (or even this year's draft).
I am of the mind that you are either a LT or you're a guy moonlighting as a LT. Both Noteboom and Jackson are the latter. And from there splitting hairs on Jackson being better than Noteboom is a waste of time and effort, because Jackson like Boom will require more investment in cap than you want to use for a guy who is not ideal in the role. It doesn't matter basically.

Now if we didn't have Havenstein then I'd say maybe they can get him done as a RT. But Havenstein is inked at a reasonable rate and performs to his cap investment.

In the event Jackson puts up a top end season at LT then I will be proven wrong on him. But he will still depart to greener pastures under FA because the Rams have enough invested in this OL at this point. And their model, IMO, is set up to have that cheap LT on his first contract. So I'd say there is a high percentage chance they draft a LT this year or next year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they double-dipped at receiver.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love how no one knows shit about what the Rams will do. A lot of great thoughts and ideas for sure, but also goes to show you our GM and head coach keep everyone on their toes as to what is next. Getting antsy seeing what direction is taken.
nobody inquisition GIF

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the event Jackson puts up a top end season at LT then I will be proven wrong on him. But he will still depart to greener pastures under FA because the Rams have enough invested in this OL at this point. And their model, IMO, is set up to have that cheap LT on his first contract. So I'd say there is a high percentage chance they draft a LT this year or next year.
The Rams need to invest in 2 tackles this year with LT a priority. That doesn't need to be a first or second-round pick either. Maybe they find a guy they like with great measurable (potential) or great production (small school) falling to the 3rd or 4th round. Then they get a year to develop him. I don't care who they pick because I know they're gonna like him and that's good enough for me.

And Big Rob probably only has a year or two left so he's gonna need to be replaced as well. Right now they have a lot of money tied up in guards and 3 replaceable or "average" tackles and will need to save money down the road. It's tough to pay everyone. Just keep drafting O -line!

Another thing to consider is how they feet about their current depth. Any potential there? Who knows except McSnead.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams need to invest in 2 tackles this year with LT a priority. That doesn't need to be a first or second-round pick either. Maybe they find a guy they like with great measurable (potential) or great production (small school) falling to the 3rd or 4th round. Then they get a year to develop him. I don't care who they pick because I know they're gonna like him and that's good enough for me.

And Big Rob probably only has a year or two left so he's gonna need to be replaced as well. Right now they have a lot of money tied up in guards and 3 replaceable or "average" tackles and will need to save money down the road. It's tough to pay everyone. Just keep drafting O -line!

Another thing to consider is how they feet about their current depth. Any potential there? Who knows except McSnead.
Havenstein's cap hit this year is $14M and next year is $11M. Feels to me like the plan is for him to be in place in 2024 and 2025 so there is no need to address RT this offseason. This probably coincides with what they expect Stafford to play, btw, two more years.

Noteboom for this year is an overpaid backup with an $11M cap hit. Almost surely his last season in horns, and would not surprise me if they deal him at the deadline. Though it is a nice luxury to have a backup LT who can do the job when needed. I do value that, just not at the price.

So the combination of Jackson and Noteboom being on the roster this season, well, maybe they decide to figure LT out next offseason. Then they're free to juice another position instead of taking a shot on LT. Unless one they love falls to them at 19 in which case you say fuck it and take him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't lump Jackson in with Boom and give them both a "budget" label. Jackson has been healthier over the years and a better performer at that LT post than Boom ever has.

I can see them extending him after this year on a moderate LT contract.
The tape Boom has when he played for Whit otw to the Super Bowl is as good if not better than Jackson has given us. And I think we can and should upgrade both of them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think I remember Les saying that when you have the chance to make a unit a true strength, you try to do just that while not having a glaring weakness on one side of the ball. That may mean they really try to go after not only an O-lineman but try to make the offense elite while grabbing defense if someone falls in their lap

dang

Legend
Umm…what does that mean?
Rams HC/GM playing chess >>> All Other NFl HCs/GMs playing checkers
True... there's also a number of veterans still out there who could be added as short-term options, including Xavien Howard, Emmanuel Ogbah, Yannick Ngakoue, Bryan Mone, Bud Dupree and Shaq Lawson. More will become available after June 1, and there's always the trade market.
Or my favorite…Calais Campbell on a one year bridge pick at DE.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
The tape Boom has when he played for Whit otw to the Super Bowl is as good if not better than Jackson has given us. And I think we can and should upgrade both of them.
I don't know...If you're talking about the 2021 season, Boom only had 89 snaps at LT. The next season, he started the first 6 games and then missed the rest of the season. And I recall him being kind of shaky in the 6 games he did start.

OTOH, I thought Jackson played fairly well last year, particularly in the 2nd half.

For comparison, Boom in 2022 allowed 5 sacks and 23 total pressures in 222 pass blocking opportunities.
Last year, AJ allowed 1 sack with 39 total pressures in 530 pass blocking opportunities.

Pretty stark difference there.

I think an upgrade is a fine idea. AJ was basically league average last year at that LT post and maybe if we want an elite unit an upgrade is necessary. But with a strong interior now, I can see them settling for league average on the edges.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
One way to out think everyone is to make them think you think they're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Easier thought than done.If you think that is going to happen you have another thing coming.

Les Snead always works the draft board & sets it up by value & position of need.

Mcvay has his say & the scouts as well.They run there draft different than most NFL teams. Curious what the Atlanta Falcons will do ?

IMO Peter is blowing nice smoke screens for The Rams.There’s no way they go OT.
That is my personal opinion of how it should be done. You do not miss out on say a All Pro, HOF type say.............. Tackle because you have 2 good serviceable ones.
So thats my opinion. But I find it funny how many people come on here and say they know in any way how the Rams will do it. They don't.
Then you have all the people looking for any angle to start a thread on the draft. No matter how obscure it may be. A thread for the sake of starting a thread kinda deal.
Kinda tired of them. Lets get to the draft and look at who the Rams do draft and go from there.
Some will be right, some will be wrong but all the players the Rams draft will be RAMS.
And they have done a pretty good job of drafting early.
McVay and Co is getting better at it. His first pick, that TE did not light the world on fire.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Tendering Jackson gives us flexibility. We have a serviceable starter (and a backup) if the opportunity to upgrade does not arise.

If, on the other hand, someone falls into our lap who we regard as an upgrade, we're not committed to the current Plan A to such a degree that we could not pivot.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
That is my personal opinion of how it should be done. You do not miss out on say a All Pro, HOF type say.............. Tackle because you have 2 good serviceable ones.
So thats my opinion. But I find it funny how many people come on here and say they know in any way how the Rams will do it. They don't.
Then you have all the people looking for any angle to start a thread on the draft. No matter how obscure it may be. A thread for the sake of starting a thread kinda deal.
Kinda tired of them. Lets get to the draft and look at who the Rams do draft and go from there.
Some will be right, some will be wrong but all the players the Rams draft will be RAMS.
McVay and Co is getting better at it. His first pick, that TE did not light the world on fire.
And I suppose you know which tackles we can get this year that will be All Pro/HOF type? If so, that would be good info to send to the Rams.

Also the thread issue, its a mesg board, if nobody started threads, it be a lot of nothing on here.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Say what ? Really ?? We’re talking Everett right ? Yes - Inwould have drafted D. Cook & of course Cooper Kupp. Then you have that 9er guy ? If you’re comparing a 5th rd pick vs a late 2nd rd well then yes.
—If your looking back at that player & The 2017 draft then your missing a Big Piece of The puzzle. Then in 2021 I believe there were 2 more pieces now that I’m thinking about it:

Solid post,but that sort of backhand got returned,back to you.
Like I said(posted) ,been playing some pickleball.i’d advise to be careful playing singles when not ready.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I get paid a commission for every thread I start. You don't?

In any event, if you're not interested in a topic, we can install a "don't open that thread" feature on your account.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
1713481323370.png