Will the Rams ignore conventional wisdom and make offense the priority?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just take the best player available, every pick.
And let the chips fall where they may.

Easier thought than done.If you think that is going to happen you have another thing coming.

Les Snead always works the draft board & sets it up by value & position of need.

Mcvay has his say & the scouts as well.They run there draft different than most NFL teams. Curious what the Atlanta Falcons will do ?

IMO Peter is blowing nice smoke screens for The Rams.There’s no way they go OT.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I don't think either side of the ball is a lock nor is a unit ruled out. Conventional wisdom points to D if values are similar but if to do so means getting less value than switching you attention to another position group, I think they change focus. This group is creative and will be prepared with targets on either side of the ball and likely in surprising places to some of us fans.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Regarding the possibility of taking an OT, I really only see two elite LEFT tackle prospects, Joe Alt and Olu Fashanu. I might be inclined to add Troy Fautanu to this list, but there are some who believe he's better suited to play inside. The other top guys are RTs who might be able to play the left side, but are not proven (i.e. JC Latham).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's an offensive game with rules to greatly favor the offense and we have a great offensive coach. Kind of tells me we'll put more into the offense.

Also just because our first pick or three of the first four aren't defensive players doesn't mean we aren't or won't improve the defense. It doesn't mean they don't care about the defense.

McSnead won us a Super Bowl, let them do their thing. Unless you somehow know their draft board or how and why it's the way it is just enjoy the players they add next week imo.

Just because their pick doesn't mesh with some other board doesn't make it a bad pick.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
It's an offensive game with rules to greatly favor the offense and we have a great offensive coach. Kind of tells me we'll put more into the offense.

Also just because our first pick or three of the first four aren't defensive players doesn't mean we aren't or won't improve the defense. It doesn't mean they don't care about the defense.

McSnead won us a Super Bowl, let them do their thing. Unless you somehow know their draft board or how and why it's the way it is just enjoy the players they add next week imo.
True... there's also a number of veterans still out there who could be added as short-term options, including Xavien Howard, Emmanuel Ogbah, Yannick Ngakoue, Bryan Mone, Bud Dupree and Shaq Lawson. More will become available after June 1, and there's always the trade market.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This is tough because with the additions of White (health permitted) Curl and bringing back D Will, our backend got better for sure.
But losing AD, I think teams will likely challenge us running the ball. So adding a stud on the DL or DE seems like the smart way to go. And there will definitely be someone of value at 19 (if we stay there). I'm in the opinion of many on here we go that route (D).
However, given we've also improved our OL, you could subscribe to the theory we add even more offensive firepower and make us a top 5 offense across the board. No matter which way we go, there's absolutely no reason we don't get an impact player day one at 19 and even so at pick #2. And we all know what a masterful job Sean and Les have done in later rounds.
Draft can't get here fast enough.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
This is tough because with the additions of White (health permitted) Curl and bringing back D Will, our backend got better for sure.
But losing AD, I think teams will likely challenge us running the ball. So adding a stud on the DL or DE seems like the smart way to go. And there will definitely be someone of value at 19 (if we stay there). I'm in the opinion of many on here we go that route (D).
However, given we've also improved our OL, you could subscribe to the theory we add even more offensive firepower and make us a top 5 offense across the board. No matter which way we go, there's absolutely no reason we don't get an impact player day one at 19 and even so at pick #2. And we all know what a masterful job Sean and Les have done in later rounds.
Draft can't get here fast enough.
I think we are arguably a top 5 offense right now. Top end RB, QB, OL, WR core. Outside of having a top end TE, I think we'd rank top 5 in all those categories.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I feel like we'd be in a monumentally better position to predict what the Rams will do if we knew the answer to the following questions:

1. What is the Rams' medical evaluation of Laitu Latu?
2. How confident are the Rams in Tre'davious White's ability to get/stay healthy and be the Rams CB1.
3. Are the Rams really satisfied with AJ Jackson as the starting LT?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
2. How confident are the Rams in Tre'davious White's ability to get/stay healthy and be the Rams CB1.
Yes those are key questions.

No idea of course on Latu but as it pertains to the secondary hitting on a top edge prospect instantly makes them better. Rams having an ascending player in Young is great, but that opposite edge has potential to change the equation on protections. It also helps Turner.

So I will say that if they take Latu the defensive front instantly becomes a matchup problem once again for offenses. Doesn't have to be Latu either, but to have their best shot to juice this defense they cannot wait too long to address it.

Re: Jackson the Rams are currently dealing with the pain of trying to go budget at LT with Boom. Doing it again with Jackson would be stupid. Now maybe they are prepared to address LT next year in the draft. But investment in the interior insinuates their future model has a cheap, first contract LT.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True... there's also a number of veterans still out there who could be added as short-term options, including Xavien Howard, Emmanuel Ogbah, Yannick Ngakoue, Bryan Mone, Bud Dupree and Shaq Lawson. More will become available after June 1, and there's always the trade market.
Some of those vet pass rushers on an I centive heavy deal would be a nice addition and change outlooks for next Thursday. I think k at this point I'd rather not add a vet CB though we have 2.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think you need to ask…what was it that stopped the Rams in Detroit.

Whatever that is, you ask can we fix that in one offseason.

If the answer is “no” you power up where you can.

I have quite a bit of faith in this staff. I also love that we don’t need to worry about QB. There are at least a couple dozen teams out there that don’t have that solved.

I’m fired up for this draft. I’ve been football bored for a month.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I feel like we'd be in a monumentally better position to predict what the Rams will do if we knew the answer to the following questions:

4. Is Cooper Kupp completely healthy and do their internal analytical metrics indicate that he hasn't lost a step?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Re: Jackson the Rams are currently dealing with the pain of trying to go budget at LT with Boom. Doing it again with Jackson would be stupid. Now maybe they are prepared to address LT next year in the draft. But investment in the interior insinuates their future model has a cheap, first contract LT.
I wouldn't lump Jackson in with Boom and give them both a "budget" label. Jackson has been healthier over the years and a better performer at that LT post than Boom ever has.

I can see them extending him after this year on a moderate LT contract.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn't lump Jackson in with Boom and give them both a "budget" label. Jackson has been healthier over the years and a better performer at that LT post than Boom ever has.

I'm good with that disagreement.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

I think what Merlin is saying is that the Rams are somewhat handcuffed financially by Noteboom's contract (particularly given that he is not slated to be a starter) and they can't/don't wish to give Jackson a long-term deal as a result. Jackson could prove himself this year and earn a long-term deal, or LT could become a priority in next year's draft (or even this year's draft).

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I think what Merlin is saying is that the Rams are somewhat handcuffed financially by Noteboom's contract (particularly given that he is not slated to be a starter) and they can't/don't wish to give Jackson a long-term deal as a result. Jackson could prove himself this year and earn a long-term deal, or LT could become a priority in next year's draft (or even this year's draft).
Hmmm. I interpreted it as saying, because they paid the interior this year, the model calls for a cheap, rookie contract LT.