Will Steve Avila Secure a Starting Spot at Guard for the Rams In 2023?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Will Steve Avila Secure a Starting Spot at Guard for the Rams In 2023?​

The Los Angeles Rams didn’t make many significant moves in their offensive line during the off-season, but they did make a statement by drafting guard, Steve Avila, with the 36th overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. With an impressive career at TCU, Avila now must transition to the NFL. The burning question for many fans and analysts alike is whether Avila will secure a starting role as a guard for the Rams in the upcoming season.

Let’s take a closer look at Avila:

Steve Avila’s Impressive College Career

During his time at TCU, Avila was an iron man on the offensive line, leading all TCU offensive players with 1,044 snaps played in 2022. More impressively, Avila did not allow a sack in back-to-back seasons (2021 and 2022), showcasing his skills as a reliable pass protector.

Versatility on the Line

Steve Avila’s versatility sets him apart. During his TCU career, he made 35 starts across four positions: 17 at center, 15 at left guard, two at right tackle, and one at right guard. This ability to adapt and perform across the line will undoubtedly be a plus for the Rams and is something the organization values across the board.

A Force on the Field

Avila’s natural strength, combined with his mass, enables him to displace defensive linemen and create running lanes for the ball carrier. Avila’s strength comes into play particularly when dealing with power rushers, effectively anchoring and stopping defenders from penetrating into the backfield.

However, Steve Avila’s place in the Rams’ starting lineup is not guaranteed. There is plenty of competition at the Rams interior offensive line positions despite many players returning from injuries. Veteran players like Brian Allen and Coleman Shelton provide stability and leadership, and other young prospects like Logan Bruss and Alaric Jackson are also vying for a starting spot.

So, will Avila be able to break into the starting lineup? It’s a question that has been circulating among Rams fans and analysts alike. Steve Avila certainly has the potential, but will he be able to outshine his competition during training camp and preseason games?

dang

Legend
Let the best 5 start. I see the Rams wanting Avila to start at OG but if he’s the OC in the best starting 5 combination then so be it. I’m also not ruling out a vet who could crack the starting 5 being picked up this year (eg. Someone like Becton) but probably not until mid-season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Plug & Play I like how Avila goes about his job. No drama, just go out and blow your opponent off the line of scrimmage. IMO, the addition of Avila along with new OL Coach Ryan (Chewbacca) Wendell will transform this Offensive Line moving forward.

muggmeister

Rookie
The entire scouting needs to be fired if he doesn't WIN a starting spot. In fact, I expect him to be the best damn lineman we got, even as a rookie. Looking for Quenton Nelson like production right out of the gate.

dang

Legend
to start the season, I am in favor of
LT Jackson
LG Avilla
C Allen
RG Bruss
RT Hav
train
I really really want Bruss to work out as a good starting OG but I’m prepared for him being no more than average depth (i.e. an “in shape” Bobby Evans).

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be crushed if the kid isn't able to start. He looks the part of a Nosetackle destroying OGC/C

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t start right away.

But… I don’t see that happening. He’s a big tough guy. He’s going to win that job.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Avila will start. He's the biggest, most capable interior lineman on the Rams right now. Interested to see if Noteboom will be ready.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pass pro is the key with McVay. This is the first guy they've drafted who is actually polished in that phase of his game. The dude is a brick wall 1 on 1. So he definitely will start right away. Zero question on that one.

So if Bruss can kick some ass year two we gonna be in business up front. LT is still a question of course but we have two guys to duke it out there which should equate into at least a solid season of production.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Pass pro is the key with McVay. This is the first guy they've drafted who is actually polished in that phase of his game. The dude is a brick wall 1 on 1. So he definitely will start right away. Zero question on that one.

So if Bruss can kick some ass year two we gonna be in business up front. LT is still a question of course but we have two guys to duke it out there which should equate into at least a solid season of production.
Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

:D

nighttrain

Legend
I really really want Bruss to work out as a good starting OG but I’m prepared for him being no more than average depth (i.e. an “in shape” Bobby Evans).
why?
train
Avila will start. He's the biggest, most capable interior lineman on the Rams right now. Interested to see if Noteboom will be ready.
For what? I just hope he is backup at LT..
train

dang

Legend
why?
train

For what? I just hope he is backup at LT..
train
I had similar hopes for Evans. Drafted around same spot and he didn’t do shot. Bruss reports (so far) are he’s not ready and then the early injury. Again , I have hope but keeping a plan B in my head.

TexasRam

Legend
Avila will be given every shot to start.

But if he has an unexpected struggle out the gate then you can bet your ass they will find a way to let him watch from the bench for awhile while they say “that was the plan all along”.

To use a random percent I would say there is an 80% chance he starts day 1.

But sometimes players need time. I know Tutu is a WR so the comparison is not exactly apples to apples but he is still not getting starter playtime quite yet and look where he was drafted.

oldnotdead

Legend
There is absolutely nothing that points to the fact that he won't be starting at LG. The only question is whether or not he will move to center next year. Something tells me they would like to keep him there at LG permanently.

Why do I think this? Because they have limited options at LG while they have multiple options at center. Shelton, McAllister, McGinn, and even Allen should he play injury free this year give the Rams options at center. Shelton played well as a center and IMO would give them a more durable player at the position. The Rams haven't had good play at LG since Roger Saffold, i.e. the last four years. LG is every bit important as the center, especially in the run game as well as in pass protection.

Regardless IMO Avila has been penciled in as the day-one starter this year at LG since he was drafted.