Will Shotty Be Back as the Rams’ OC Next Season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think we all looked at the facts and came to our conclusion logically.
The problem is though that you really can't come to a logical conclusion that ISN'T either one of those things.

Either Fisher is terrible for retaining a terrible OC here for 3 years, or Schotty isn't terrible. Not a false dilemma and not complicated.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'll be here. Have to see what he can do with an upgrade at offensive line. The QB situation is what it is. I feel with an upgrade at offensive line you can win with a Shaun Hill. If Bradford can stay healthy (a big if), even better.

This one is on Fisher. They decided to pay Cook 35 million dollars because he's supposed to be a match up problem for other teams. We've seen a flash here and there but nothing consistent. They traded up for Austin because he's supposedly a nightmare in space. We've seen flashes but nothing consistent. Quick was finally starting to come on. We've got Mason at tailback. Britt is in the mix now. This team has weapons. I don't want to hear we don't have weapons. If we make the upgrades at offensive line and this offense doesn't take a big leap. Like say to the middle of the pack kind of leap. And I don't think that's asking too much. Then Fisher could be in trouble. Because this defense is ready to move into the elite category. And if they can't score points next year, it's going to be a problem. And all fingers will be pointing to Schotty.

So beef up the line and hope for the best. I don't think he's going anywhere.
I think if Fisher retains him, he (Fisher) is taking a pretty big chance.

I'm not at all convinced Schottenheimer has what it takes to get the offense to the point where they can score around 21 points per game. To me, that's the benchmark and the number that the defense can work with to come out with more victories.

I hope I'm wrong... but it's my belief that, no matter how many weapons he's provided, Schottenheimer doesn't have the skills to utilize them to their fufullest.

If I'm right, the offense will probably remain near the bottom of the NFL, the Rams will be about the same as they are this year (relying heavily on the defense to score and keep the opponents below 17) and it could cost Fisher his job.

IMO, a lot at stake for Fisher in deciding if he stays or goes.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
The problem is though that you really can't come to a logical conclusion that ISN'T either one of those things.

Either Fisher is terrible for retaining a terrible OC here for 3 years, or Schotty isn't terrible. Not a false dilemma and not complicated.

That takes it to great extremes though....what if it is Schotty is a below average OC, but Fish is comfortable with him and wants that rather than change to an unknown quantity? That would mean that while we probably should replace Schotty, the coach may be reasonable wanting to keep him....

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
That takes it to great extremes though....what if it is Schotty is a below average OC, but Fish is comfortable with him and wants that rather than change to an unknown quantity? That would mean that while we probably should replace Schotty, the coach may be reasonable wanting to keep him....
If there is an OC out there that can run the offense Fisher wants better than Schotty, then Fisher is being negligent.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
My gut says he will be back...but i also thought no way Fisher would dump Walton after one year.
I have mixed thoughts on Schotty. I think the system is fine...and i think the group we have knows it well and can grow into it even more. But i get so frustrated with the play calling. The last game especially.

Big difference in the two in my opinion...Walton was into his first big gig, Schotty has been at it for several years...Doesn't make it right or wrong, just different...But yeah, given Fisher's loyalty to his coaches, it was a bit strange to see Walton canned...

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
There is nothing reasonable a out keeping a substandard OC. You either want to score points or you don't.