Will receiver market go the way of the running back market?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Do you understand contracts?
They agreed on a 4 year 120 mill contract extension. So you think the player is held to living up to that, but the team is not?
It's how literally NONE of us make a living here. I'd be willing to wager that the majority who are working are considered "At Will" employees and not Contract Based... (At least our US folks)
I'm sorry you dont understand basic fundamentals of contracts but maybe do some research before saying anything else...
Unlike most other sports, NFL contracts have a large portion of non-guaranteed dollars
Criticizing Tyreek is akin to criticizing every NFL player who has signed an extension in advance of the conclusion of their contract. IE Cooper Kupp, Aaron Donald, soon to be Matt Stafford....
Why do you get angry and insulting when you quote a person and engage in a conversation? This is the second time you have done that. I suggest you learn some manners before conversing with me. I’m ok with being corrected if I’m wrong, but you hold no prestige with me.

That being said and your affronting behavior aside, the big question is “ do YOU understand how contracts work” ? I directly asked you questions pertaining to the contract. If every dime is guaranteed, then what is the problem? Why is this a discussion? Of course Miami has to honor the guarantee. Do you understand the concept of “at will” employment? There is a difference in $$ for a contract’s worth and what is actually guaranteed. If the guaranteed $$ has been paid out then it DOES become similar to how most people work. As you stated, “non guaranteed” $$. Listen to yourself. If it is not guaranteed, then you only get paid the agreed upon, but not guaranteed, wages/salary for as long as you do the job.

Why do you think Stafford wants the last two years of his contract guaranteed? He gets paid the same if he plays out the last two years. THAT’S what has been agreed upon, but not guaranteed.
The only difference is that the Rams can cut him loose at any time before the two years is up—not having to pay out any further $$.

And yes, that’s how most people work. You show up, you get paid the wages we agreed on. You quit/we fire you, you stop getting paid.

Is that not the point where hill’s contract is at?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tyreek Hill is not holding a gun to Miami's head.. not yet anyway. Nothing wrong in starting up contract "discussions". For all we know..., Miami might just want to rework his contract and offer him more guaranteed money. He certainly has shown no signs of regressing. Since they just resigned Waddle though, I think this will be Hill's last year with the dolphins.

dang

Legend
So tyreke left the chiefs and signed a huge deal (at the time). Now the market is paying lesser WRs better than him as his contract nears its end. This happens all the time in sports. You take a longer deal to get more guaranteed $$ and long term stability, knowing the market could change. It did. Play out the deal you signed and honor your word.
I don’t see “Play out the deal you signed and honor your word” being any part of Tyree’s mindset. IMO he will want to be the highest paid WR in the NFL in the very near future.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t see “Play out the deal you signed and honor your word” being any part of Tyree’s mindset. IMO he will want to be the highest paid WR in the NFL in the very near future.

To be fair its not in any player's mindset.

Even AD played the retirement card to get the deal he wanted.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

He’s far from calling it a career, so I get it if he wants an extension which would obviously lead to more $$ per and more $$ guaranteed; but absent of a new contract, the dolphins are under no obligation to change the existing deal that was agreed upon by both parties.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do you get angry and insulting when you quote a person and engage in a conversation? This is the second time you have done that. I suggest you learn some manners before conversing with me. I’m ok with being corrected if I’m wrong, but you hold no prestige with me.
Arent you the hypocrite?
Who is angry? I merely respond in kind so if you expect to be treated with "manners" then watch the language you choose to use
"It’s how most of us make a living.

What the player doesn’t like is he can now get “fired” without $$ guaranteed. Again, it’s how most of the real world works. It’s a simple concept to grasp once one steps away from the glamour of professional sports and looks at it as an employee/employer relationship that yokes most of the working class."
So spare me with your nonsense.
And read up on how contracts work, your ignorance is on full blast

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Based on what? Any direct quotes from Tyreek?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Arent you the hypocrite?
Who is angry? I merely respond in kind so if you expect to be treated with "manners" then watch the language you choose to use
"It’s how most of us make a living.

What the player doesn’t like is he can now get “fired” without $$ guaranteed. Again, it’s how most of the real world works. It’s a simple concept to grasp once one steps away from the glamour of professional sports and looks at it as an employee/employer relationship that yokes most of the working class."
So spare me with your nonsense.
And read up on how contracts work, your ignorance is on full blast
“Respond in kind”?
Please spare me your need for superiority and lack of civility or the ability to own your words.
This is where we part ways.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“Respond in kind”?
Please spare me your need for superiority and lack of civility or the ability to own your words.
This is where we part ways.
Yes, if you act like a dick, dont cry like a baby at the response.
Good grief

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Yes, if you act like a dick, dont cry like a baby at the response.
Good grief
I’m not crying. I just refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

You basically prove every point I made by acknowledging:
1) the contract wasn’t fully guaranteed. (Only watson on the browns has that.)
2) you say a guy can then get cut/fired from a team—which he dislikes. That IS an at will employee. Again, my point.
3) yes, most of us live like that. You don’t dispute that. You just carry on about your superior knowledge of contracts.
4) You don’t sound so knowledgeable. You sound defensive and angry.

Let’s just go on about our business. I’m here to talk football, not feed a fragile ego.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not crying. I just refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

You basically prove every point I made by acknowledging:
1) the contract wasn’t fully guaranteed. (Only watson on the browns has that.)
2) you say a guy can then get cut/fired from a team—which he dislikes. That IS an at will employee. Again, my point.
3) yes, most of us live like that. You don’t dispute that. You just carry on about your superior knowledge of contracts.
4) You don’t sound so knowledgeable. You sound defensive and angry.

Let’s just go on about our business. I’m here to talk football, not feed a fragile ego.
Very cute, and duly noted how you continue to lodge insult after insult.
Your incoherent rant reaffirms your ignorance.
Simply put, the current contract is 4 years 120 mill. If Miami terminates the contract, did they hold up their end of the deal?
Its a yes or no

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
SMH. Cmon dieter. You have just taken the entire thing right back to the beginning. So, I’ll do this one more time because maybe this is the way to finally end this.
Tyreek has 2 additional years on his deal after 2024, neither is guaranteed.

After 2024 the dolphins will have held up their end by paying out all of the guaranteed $$.

The last two years are not guaranteed but there is an agreed upon wage/salary amount. As long as tyreke is employed with the dolphins, he will be paid that amount of $$. If for some reason such as he gets traded, cut/released, or he retires, the dolphins don’t owe him any more than his last check.

That is the definition of an at will employer/employee relationship. You know that.

Should Miami decide not to renegotiate, guarantee the last two years, or extend him (which of course would produce more guaranteed $$), they are not reneging on any deal. Tyreke simply must show up for work to get paid. That IS how most of us live. You know that. The onus is on tyreke at that point because he agreed to be there for a certain amount of time, knowing full well the last two years would not be guaranteed—in a sense making him an at will employee.

You can try to move the goal posts again, but I’m getting off this ride.

I give you the last word on the matter.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Both the teams and the players know that the contracts for most players aren't going to go all the way through to the end. Let's not blame the players when they feel they deserve more.

The teams have the ability to cut players that aren't living up to their pay check. Hill has more than played up to his contract, maybe even better. Why shouldn't he get more money when his play deserves it?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

Both the teams and the players know that the contracts for most players aren't going to go all the way through to the end. Let's not blame the players when they feel they deserve more.

The teams have the ability to cut players that aren't living up to their pay check. Hill has more than played up to his contract, maybe even better. Why shouldn't he get more money when his play deserves it?

It’s not about blame, it’s about who’s responsible for what.
Tyreke is playing great so he wants to renegotiate and get another extension—especially when he sees what lesser WRs are making. That’s fine.
…but it doesn’t obligate Miami to do so.

You’re right in that a team can cut a player for poor performance, but it doesn’t absolve them from paying out the “guaranteed” part of the contract.

Both parties take a risk in these deals. The team first, then the player (when the guaranteed $$ runs out).

To your point, tyreke is still one of the best. He doesn’t have to worry about getting a new deal. It’s just a question of which team will pay him. Obviously, the dolphins have the first shot.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The top 20 paid WRs make $20M to $35M per year.

The top 20 paid DBs make $8.7M to $21M per year.

Make it make sense. Quality receivers come out the draft every year. And most of these $20M guys aren't Pro Bowl caliber.