Will receiver market go the way of the running back market?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
2 - 4 consecutive seasons with Nacua, Rice, Addison, Dell, Flowers like rookie production along with Super Bowl Champions not having a high priced WR and methinks the market might head towards the RB market. Might not get all the way there, but both markets would be close enough to play catch. Especially, if someone other than Kansas City is one of those Super Bowl Champions.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
We are certainly seeing the WR position and market evolve. Long tenured WR's like Evans and Kupp staying in 1 place is becoming rare.
Allen just moved we saw Diggs move in his prime, Hill in his prime. The time top WR's spend in one place seems to be shrinking.

I think we will see the margin between the elite receivers and 2nd tier and below continue to widen as the elite get richer and hog up more cap space.

Agree. Looks like it’s already happening. Look at what the lions gave asb and what the Rams are paying Robinson.

The top 10% in any field gets paid well. The problem is/will be those guys affronted by 2nd tier offers when they think they are so much better than that.

Case in point would be 9er ayuck. He’s not in the top 10%, but he thinks he is.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don’t see the circumstances between RB and WR remotely vlose to the same.

The RB role in offenses has greatly diminished while the WR room has become even more important. And, you can’t do it with just one guy (unless it is Kupp) any more. You need a whole stable of WRs to pressure defenses.

NFL is morphing into the Canadian league throwing out the running game and looking for those big chunk plays through the air.

RBs might see an even smaller role in the next decade with WR becoming second only to QB and maybe Edge.
Just look at The Rams last season.Kyren Williams went off,he also catches the ball out of the backfield.

What this FREAKING article is saying is about contracts & getting paid.I think your TOTALLY WRONG for thinking that RB’s aren’t going to be more important in 2024 than in 2023.The top teams in THE NFL will have good running games. I’d say Mobil QB’s are a thing as well adding to another weapon.
The Eagles & Ravens will stand out as Running teams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agree. Looks like it’s already happening. Look at what the lions gave asb and what the Rams are paying Robinson.

The top 10% in any field gets paid well. The problem is/will be those guys affronted by 2nd tier offers when they think they are so much better than that.

Case in point would be 9er ayuck. He’s not in the top 10%, but he thinks he is.

Well as a Rams Fan - I hope he is the WR 9ers lose.Debo imo is not as good of a WR,plus add upside to his future. I’ll disagree,without him Purdy doesn’t have an outlet.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just look at The Rams last season.Kyren Williams went off,he also catches the ball out of the backfield.

What this FREAKING article is saying is about contracts & getting paid.I think your TOTALLY WRONG for thinking that RB’s aren’t going to be more important in 2024 than in 2023.The top teams in THE NFL will have good running games. I’d say Mobil QB’s are a thing as well adding to another weapon.
The Eagles & Ravens will stand out as Running teams.
That is not the same thing as RBs being devalued over all.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Since the NFL has become a passing league, I wonder if a team went all out as a running team would be effective?

Load up on powerful run blocking line, blocking tight ends, big receivers that can block, and bring back the fullback. Then, go out and cram it down the defense's throat.

I wonder if this approach to defenses geared to defend the pass, could become an unstoppable threat!
The Rams might be going that route with a McVay twist to it.
Stafford is getting older, McVay loves him and this is a great way of protecting him and keeping our super talented QB around.
We can play the run game and will always have the horses to go pass-pass-pass if we have to.
BTW, I still think McVay wants a big, super fast deep threat for his perfect offense. He has not been drafted yet.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That is not the same thing as RBs being devalued over all.
They are not being devalued.The NY Giants found that out.Look around The NFL,those RB’s who became FA’s played out there contracts.We can talk Gurley & all The Rams players as well & how that all has fit into there team & the directions they have been.

—I don’t see The RB being devalued when it come to The Top RB’s. The reason as well is mainly injuries & depth.

I guess in a way The RB position is high risk high reward & what it takes to have a good RB.Like any thing else I’ll take from a case to case basis.

The Rams might have drafted The Best RB in college football ? Then look were he was draft vs. a WR. I guess that shows us that it is a WR league(Passing). That still doesn’t mean the value of a Top RB price has come down.In fact 2024 it had an Uptick!!
Who meant more to The Rams last season Puka or Kyren Williams ?

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Last season the Rams were a team who could "beat anybody" or "lose to anybody" based on whether Kyren Williams suited up.
You'd think such critical production Value would correlate with market value.
The wild card is acceptable risk. With unlimited cap (or Injured Reserve cap relief) I think the elite RBs could see a return to market glory.

But the best ability is availability and this market value gap is dictated by odds of durability.
You get what you pay for with accepted risk factors taken into account. Throwing big $s down on a top-shelf running back carries risk. Gamble right, genius. Gamble wrong, fuckity fuck fuck-- there goes your elite back to IR taking up 10% of the cap.

I think 1st tier Running backs have settled in at 2nd tier WR pay and it's here to stay.

Will 1st tier WR market fade a little? Argument is still risk. Is it a fair fight if the team your playing has a Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, or Megatron and you don't?

I do think the trend of teams throwing darts at that potential elite WR in the 1st round of the draft is going to continue.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not understanding what the topic is here?
Running back is completely devalued, with only 5 backs making over 10 mill next season (AAV) and the top paid in McCaffrey at 16 mill
McCaffrey would be #23 on the WR list, just ahead of Courtland Sutton at 15.2 mill
3 WR making over 30 mill
19 WR making 20 mill or more
30 WR making 10 mill or more
Demarcus Robinson 4 mill would be #18 highest paid RB

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
i don't think so. mcvay is usually ahead of the curve and he has come to the realisation that with the way defenses are going, having a strong running game is the way to go moving forward. every move they've made the last couple of years tells us they're gonna run the ball a lot.

Until they reach first and goal at the 5. Then its 3 straight passes.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2 - 4 consecutive seasons with Nacua, Rice, Addison, Dell, Flowers like rookie production along with Super Bowl Champions not having a high priced WR and methinks the market might head towards the RB market. Might not get all the way there, but both markets would be close enough to play catch. Especially, if someone other than Kansas City is one of those Super Bowl Champions.
Yeah. Good point.

I'm not understanding what the topic is here?
Running back is completely devalued, with only 5 backs making over 10 mill next season (AAV) and the top paid in McCaffrey at 16 mill
McCaffrey would be #23 on the WR list, just ahead of Courtland Sutton at 15.2 mill
3 WR making over 30 mill
19 WR making 20 mill or more
30 WR making 10 mill or more
Demarcus Robinson 4 mill would be #18 highest paid RB
Yeah. Good point.

Naked Gun GIF

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Play out the deal you signed and honor your word.
I dont begrudge any player who wants to negotiate a new deal when the guaranteed money runs out, or is about to. While Tyreek has 2 additional years on his deal after 2024, neither is guaranteed. He absolutely should start talking contract because the team wont honor that deal, no reason why he should wait around hoping they do

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I dont begrudge any player who wants to negotiate a new deal when the guaranteed money runs out, or is about to. While Tyreek has 2 additional years on his deal after 2024, neither is guaranteed. He absolutely should start talking contract because the team wont honor that deal, no reason why he should wait around hoping they do

By that rationale, a deal is only as good as the guaranteed $$. Would he/you accept LESS $$ per year as long as it was 100% guaranteed?

The deal he shook on was nothing abstract or new. This is a calculated plan all players use to up the guaranteed $$—longer term for more guaranteed $$.

Extension? Ok. Hill can start talking contract, but the dolphins are under no obligations to change the current deal.
Bottom line is he put his name on a contract. The other party has held up their end, expecting him (hill) to hold up his should not be heresy.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
The way contracts work is one of the oddities of the NFL.

If you are not happy with the terms of your contract, don’t sign it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By that rationale, a deal is only as good as the guaranteed $$. Would he/you accept LESS $$ per year as long as it was 100% guaranteed?

The deal he shook on was nothing abstract or new. This is a calculated plan all players use to up the guaranteed $$—longer term for more guaranteed $$.

Extension? Ok. Hill can start talking contract, but the dolphins are under no obligations to change the current deal.
Bottom line is he put his name on a contract. The other party has held up their end, expecting him (hill) to hold up his should not be heresy.
In the last year of the deal, he's owed a 45 mill salary. (68 mill total owed for 25/26)
By your rationale, Miami cant hold up their end until the contract is complete. So if they cut him after next season, he doesnt get paid the 45 mill, not a penny of it. So what then? For Miami to truly "hold up their end" they would need to guarantee those 2 years.
They agreed to a contract structure where neither side anticipated the contract to be lived out as written. Miami has no intention of paying him 45 mill at 32 years old.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
In the last year of the deal, he's owed a 45 mill salary. (68 mill total owed for 25/26)
By your rationale, Miami cant hold up their end until the contract is complete. So if they cut him after next season, he doesnt get paid the 45 mill, not a penny of it. So what then? For Miami to truly "hold up their end" they would need to guarantee those 2 years.
They agreed to a contract structure where neither side anticipated the contract to be lived out as written. Miami has no intention of paying him 45 mill at 32 years old.
Huh? “Owed $45 mil”? Is it guaranteed or isn’t it? If not, hill isn’t “owed” anything other than the opportunity to work.

Miami has already lived up to their end—they paid out everything they guaranteed to pay. The player knew full well he was to become an “at will employee “ after that. Just like anybody else who works for an at will employer, hill will now get paid a rate for his work as long as he has his job. As long as he plays out the last two years, he WILL get the $$ agreed upon as far as wages go. Stafford is in the same boat.

It’s how most of us make a living.

What the player doesn’t like is he can now get “fired” without $$ guaranteed. Again, it’s how most of the real world works. It’s a simple concept to grasp once one steps away from the glamour of professional sports and looks at it as an employee/employer relationship that yokes most of the working class.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh? “Owed $45 mil”? Is it guaranteed or isn’t it? If not, hill isn’t “owed” anything other than the opportunity to work.

Miami has already lived up to their end—they paid out everything they guaranteed to pay. The player knew full well he was to become an “at will employee “ after that. Just like anybody else who works for an at will employer, hill will now get paid a rate for his work as long as he has his job. As long as he plays out the last two years, he WILL get the $$ agreed upon as far as wages go. Stafford is in the same boat.

It’s how most of us make a living.

What the player doesn’t like is he can now get “fired” without $$ guaranteed. Again, it’s how most of the real world works. It’s a simple concept to grasp once one steps away from the glamour of professional sports and looks at it as an employee/employer relationship that yokes most of the working class.
Do you understand contracts?
They agreed on a 4 year 120 mill contract extension. So you think the player is held to living up to that, but the team is not?
It's how literally NONE of us make a living here. I'd be willing to wager that the majority who are working are considered "At Will" employees and not Contract Based... (At least our US folks)
I'm sorry you dont understand basic fundamentals of contracts but maybe do some research before saying anything else...
Unlike most other sports, NFL contracts have a large portion of non-guaranteed dollars
Criticizing Tyreek is akin to criticizing every NFL player who has signed an extension in advance of the conclusion of their contract. IE Cooper Kupp, Aaron Donald, soon to be Matt Stafford....