Will Aaron Donald Brings Fullbacks Back to the NFL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was watching a Cleveland Browns podcast about Aaron Donald's success before the 2018 MVP vote, with NFL great, OT Joe Thomas. He was asked about the effect of Suh with Aaron Donald, and whether that was fair to the rest of the NFL.
Suprisingly, Thomas wasn't that impressed by that combo as he would be with a DE having a quick get off. Robert Quinn at his best with the Rams, along with rookie Aaron Donald, was disruptive. But what we didn't have was a big lead in games so those guys could be optimized in the sack game. Thomas' point was that AD's insane sack total wasn't really due to Suh's presence next to him, just that AD is that good inside. Thomas explained with a DE with a very quick get off, would be unfair for teams, because it would take two extra players to deal with that kind of pressure versus a team that's behind on the scoreboard. QB holding the ball longer in order to make plays, is taillor made for AD and that DE...IS this guy Fowler? Fowler was rapidly improving at the end of last year, and he has been reportedly getting to the QB as quickly as Donald this offseason.
One solution that Thomas mentioned was to have a true Fullback in position but designated as a reciever? (don't quite get that), in order to aid against AD, instead of trying to use lighter players like a RB or even a TE as the second blocker, and also being able to get the edge guy with linemen.

A big, old school Full Back....Joe Thomas didn't know if it would work against AD and the quick twitch DE, but it might be worth a try.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If I remember correctly, didn't Jeff Fisher use TE Cory Harkey in much the same way, often lining him up as a blocking FB/receiver ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I remember correctly, didn't Jeff Fisher use TE Cory Harkey in much the same way, often lining him up as a blocking FB/receiver ?
He did, but that was Fisher being boring old Fisher on offense because that's who he was. A true FB isn't really used anymore by teams (not a TE), and this possible solution is in reponse to an extraordinary 3Tech DT like Donald. But you may be right that a team may have to turn to Fisher ball so AD won't wreck their world...lol

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Fisher, the offensive mind, was about 5-6yrs ahead of everybody.

:sneaky:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Fisher, the offensive mind, was about 5-6yrs ahead of everybody.

:sneaky:

With an OL starting the likes of LT Greg Robinson, C Tim Barnes & RG Cody Wichmann, it's amazing Fisher didn't start 2 FB's.
Gurley loved the 270lb. Harkey and voiced displeasure at seeing him go, although one wonders if that's what prompted McVay/Snead to draft FB Sam Rogers.
McVay read the OL problem immediately and made Jamon Brown the starting RG and went out and paid both free agents LT Andrew Whitworth & C John Sullivan. The rest is history ...

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He did. SF also uses a FB, ATL and GB used too fairly recently and McVay did draft Sam Rogers.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It's an interesting idea, though I'm not sure how well it would work against AD. I could see him either blowing by or through a FB. Maybe put a Guard as a FB?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
maybe if you suit up a grizzly bear and call him a fullback it has a chance of working

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I was a Mike Alstott fan, tough as nails.
I dont think there is anyone in the league that could play the role better. But i dont think a fullback is the answer.

The emergence of Fowler could be more of a headache for opposing coaches and am excited by the prospect of Donald and Fowler at their best.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
It's an interesting idea, though I'm not sure how well it would work against AD. I could see him either blowing by or through a FB. Maybe put a Guard as a FB?
Wide bodies been done before by Ditka's Bears in the '80s with Refrigerator Perry.
william-perrybearspatriot.jpg

An iconic Super Bowl moment: 'The Refrigerator' ripping through the Patriots' defense for a touchdown. Getty Images

oldnotdead

Legend
I think the issue of pass protection is a reason I see Brown playing more passing downs. Brown is pretty good in his blitz pickups. I think teams might use more 12 personnel.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if McVay played a whole lot of 12 personnel in the Chicago game. This should still give them 3 receivers in routes with the RB or TE Goff's dumpoff option. If they crowd the LOS with 7 in the box and Goff hits Everett short on a quick slant or out, he could run a long way. Everett runs a legit 4.6 which is fast for a man of his size, faster than Kelce in fact. Do that a couple of times and see how fast they back off.

Now that they have their 4 headed monster, they can play them with Brown at RB for pass protection and it's a matchup nightmare. It will be a fun game to watch. Without the home field and weather advantage it will be interesting to see how well Chicago plays. I still don't think they have enough offense to matchup if the Rams are healthy.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I erased those offensive memories from my mind. So I'll take your word on it, lol.

fearsomefour

Legend
A better approach to me would be to get the ball out quickly and spread the field.
With a FB or RB being kept in to block it’s already a win for the defense. Having to cover one less player.

oldnotdead

Legend
Spreading an offense out isn't going to work against a defense with an outstanding front 7 like the Bears. It's a recipe for getting Goff killed. 3 receivers running at all three levels counting on your receivers to get separation is the only real way to go. Playing 12 personnel spreads that front 7 and plays to the Rams being an outside zone run team. They won't know if it's pass or run which is the point.

To beat a good defense you have to stay ahead of the sticks and not become one dimensional. Brown isn't going to blow a defense up with a 70 yd run but he's the kind that can pound a front 7 with his power running style. Remember the Rams run an outside zone with a horizontal concept. That means the oline moves the dline horizontally and the RB looks for the hole created by a LB out of position. McVay needs to be more patient with the run. He tends to give up on it too easily and early. He falls victim to his success in the passing game. But scoring quickly is a double edge sword. You are handing the opposition the potential to control the flow of the game and puts a whole lot of pressure on the defense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Matthews is going to force some pressure from the edge too. There should be 3x plus rushers on opposing QBs and that is going to stress the F out of offensive lines we face.

Not to mention the occasional blitz from Littleton, the safeties, or corners. I will be very surprised if we're not the league leader in sacks this season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Spreading an offense out isn't going to work against a defense with an outstanding front 7 like the Bears. It's a recipe for getting Goff killed.
It doesn’t matter what they do, it’s all about Max Q. Besides, any Q B. can be inserted since it’s all about my system ~ Mike Martz

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wide bodies been done before by Ditka's Bears in the '80s with Refrigerator Perry.
william-perrybearspatriot.jpg

An iconic Super Bowl moment: 'The Refrigerator' ripping through the Patriots' defense for a touchdown. Getty Images

That pictures hurts me... because it came at the expense of Sweetness getting a TD in the Super Bowl.