Why the Rams drafted Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Exactly its funny how people fail to realize that the Hags have an average O-Line.

The Hags OL below mostly has taken them to back to back SB's with one win. They have invested 2 first & 2 second rd picks in this average OL.

Hags 2014 OL
OLT-Russell Okung>- 1st rd top ten pick
OLG-James Carpenter>-1st rd pick
OC-Max Unger >-2nd rd pick
ORG-JR Sweezy>-7th rd pick
ORT-Justin Britt>-2nd rd pick

Rams 2014 OL had 1 first rd pick & 1 second rd pick & 3 WWC's. No pro bowls, no SB's games, no championship games & ZERO playoff games experience amongst them.
I sure wished the Rams OL for once could hope to field something close to an average OL for a Gurley to attempt to try his beast-mode.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I wonder if the Seabags would trade us o lines if we threw in Stacy?

Memphis Ram

Legend
A tale of two cities.

In 2012, the Seattle Seahawks OLine:

- 2 very good players OT Russell Okung & C Max Unger (1 game missed btw the both).
- 2 solid at best players in OL journeyman Paul McQuistan and OT Breno Giacomini (No starts missed).
- remaining spot was filled by a combination of James Carpenter (drafted to replace Giacomini but stunk at OT), John Moffit, and a former college DT in 7th rounder J.R. Sweezy.

In Seattle this is the OLine unit of a top ten scoring offense.
In St. Louis, we'd be screaming for 3 new starters on the OLine to turn our offense around.

In 2013, the Seattle Seahawks OLine:

MASH UNIT
- 2 very good players in Okung & Unger returned, but together missed 11 starts (mostly Okung) due to injury and their starts were replaced by rookie 7th rounder Michael Bowie and backup Lemuel Jeanpierre.
- solid at best journeyman McQuistan & Giacomini returned as well though I believe the later missed about 8 games.
- OT bust Carpenter (strong run blocker / shaky pass protector) started 10 of 16 games and partnered with 2nd year, 7th round, former college DT turned OLineman J.R. Sweezy at OG.

In Seattle...........another top ten scoring offense.
In St. Louis, the OLine coach would be on the hotseat and we'd still be screaming for 3 new starters to finally turn our offense around.

In 2014, the Seattle Seahawks OLine:

(Solid at best journeyman McQuistan & Giacomini along with Bowie are gone stinking it up elsewhere).
- 2 very good players in Okung & Unger returned again, but this time together they missed 12 starts (mostly Unger). Unger was replaced by a combination of journeyman Stephen Schilling and other backups Patrick Lewis & Jeanpierre.
- what has developed into an above average guard in Sweezy and former OT bust (road grader, shaky pass protector) Carpenter returned at OG.
- Rookie 2nd rounder Justin Britt took over at RT and struggles a bit.

In Seattle, we again see a top ten scoring offense.
In St. Louis, the OLine coach is probably fired and cries for the team to use a 1st rounder and more on the OLine and finally fix the unit holding the offense back grows to a fever pitch.

:p:D:p

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Fisher can finally run that smashmouth offense he's wanted since coming to the Rams. We've seen glimpses of it but just couldn't maintain with Stacy who couldn't hit the home run and Mason who could hit the home run but couldn't break tackles. Gurley is the complete package, there's nothing he can't do.
At the cost of repeating myself, just who is going to block for ANY of these RB's? Who's going to keep Foles on his feet, who's going to prevent another ACL casualty from repeating itself?

Can't happen you say?

"It all begins up front", isn't just a cute saying...................................

Ozoneranger

Rookie
I never saw this pick coming. Not at all. Nevertheless, I don't think this means Fisher will go all in on a smash mouth, one dimensional offense. They have weapons elsewhere- If this guy is the be all everyone thinks he is, he'll make the other weapons (read-Austin, Cook, Quick) way more effective. Our opponents better have great safety players.

I know- I'm rationalizing. (n)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Hags OL below mostly has taken them to back to back SB's with one win. They have invested 2 first & 2 second rd picks in this average OL.

Hags 2014 OL

Rams 2014 OL had 1 first rd pick & 1 second rd pick & 3 WWC's. No pro bowls, no SB's games, no championship games & ZERO playoff games experience amongst them.
I sure wished the Rams OL for once could hope to field something close to an average OL for a Gurley to attempt to try his beast-mode.
Isn't Unger now gone!? And I do believe the right side of their line is suspect! Plus they had No 1st round pick this year to fix it. Any good talent for the O-Line will be gone by the end of the 2nd round, IMHO. This amounts to one BIG minus for the 'hags O-Line!

jjab360

Legend
At the cost of repeating myself, just who is going to block for ANY of these RB's? Who's going to keep Foles on his feet, who's going to prevent another ACL casualty from repeating itself?

Can't happen you say?

"It all begins up front", isn't just a cute saying...................................
Since apparently there aren't 6 more rounds left in the NFL Draft and everybody in Free Agency has already been signed, I guess nobody?

Limey

Rookie
They look thin at this stage, but they don't have to play yet. I wanted o-line early and often, but with two of the top rated guys slipping due to injury or off field drama and two already taken,when the pick came around there was nobody I really wanted them to take in that spot. I was hoping for a trade down and OL later in the round, but part of me wanted a playmaker and Gurley could be the best player in this draft.

I still want o-line today and tomorrow, but Blalock and Barksdale are still available, and if they sign them now, we are still a better team than we were last season. With a power running game, Barksdale's run blocking strength becomes much more of a factor than his pass protection weakness, which may also be less of a weakness with Saffold rather than Joseph next to him. If they can pick up Clemmings or Cann today, the OL can be much better going forward. I also hope they get Collins tomorrow - with two of those plus Saffold and GRob blocking for Gurley and Mason, a game manager QB will be all they need with what I hope is going to be a stellar defence.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
True i did hear Fisher say that. But and i'm going off what has been said publicly. The Doctor's and Gurley feel as if he is progressing well and could be able to play this year.

So i guess we will see how it all plays out. But i have a feeling much like Mason last year Gurley will see the field this season maybe not week one but by week 4 or 5 i could see him playing.

I agree, probably week around week 4/5

jjab360

Legend

Hags 2014 OL

Okung is good and Unger is good, but Carpenter is trash in pass protection and Sweezy and Britt are JAGs.

Also, why are you equating championships and playoff appearances to individual accomplishments? That makes very little sense in the context of this discussion..

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
This is a pick we'll have to wait for a couple years to see if it was a good one. Question is, where would Gurley have been drafted without the injury? Form everything I've heard or read, he woulda gone sooner. But its the whole need vs. BPA thing. I believe Gurley will be fine, but I also believe they're not concerned about winning this year. I believe they're targeting next year.

Totally agree - and am all for it. SK gave Snisher 5 years to turn a dumpster fire into a legitimate franchise, and it wouldn't bother me if Gurley sat the whole year.
That and Scherff and Flowers were both gone. To take Oline just to take Oline is wrong imo. And the draft ain't over yet.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Okung is good and Unger is good, but Carpenter is trash in pass protection and Sweezy and Britt are JAGs.

Also, why are you equating championships and playoff appearances to individual accomplishments? That makes very little sense in the context of this discussion..

Not only that, but Okung has yet to play a full season with his 12 games per season average for his career. And Unger has only played in 19 of the last 32 games himself (22 of 32 for Okung).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Isn't Unger now gone!? And I do believe the right side of their line is suspect! Plus they had No 1st round pick this year to fix it. Any good talent for the O-Line will be gone by the end of the 2nd round, IMHO. This amounts to one BIG minus for the 'hags O-Line!

Yes your right Dave, Max is now a new Saint. There is another defection too. On March 10, 2015, OG Carpenter signed a nice size four-year contract with the New York Jets. So Seattle must find new starters @ one OG post & center. The OT's are very good its the interior that now taken a hit. We now will see how well the Beast runs in 2015 with a weaker OL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Can't happen you say?

Not sure of the cost of repeating yourself but I know your pain here!

Seems to me that either the Rams have some secret high quality OL'ers under wrap & unknown to the NFL world or Fisher is just doing what he has always done & looks past the OL importance.....(I believe this is correcto_O)

If Fisher wanted to finish games better in 2014 he needed to invest in a better OL that can move the pile. The problem was sure not @ RB's in 2014 it was the OL by a long long long margin.....where anyone or anybody could see if they wanted too.