Why the Rams drafted Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One reason given to explain the Rams pick was that they had leads the last few years and they couldn't close them out. With a guy like Gurley, they think he would be the type of chain mover that could allow them to finish games.

Makes sense, but so would having a good offensive line or not playing with backup QBs each year. I know they cannot control injuries, just saying that the RB was not the only reason.

The line still needs some future additions. I hope they at least get one good one out of this draft.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I don't like the value of the pick, but I can justify it.

I see them in a similar QB situation this time next year. If Gurley comes up big in limited showing this year, maybe they don't feel the burden of paying big money to Foles or having to draft a QB early next year.

A top notch running game allows you to put a guy like Russell Wilson under center next year.

It still feels like putting the cart before the horse though, at least in terms of the offensive line situation. Plenty of draft to go!

fearsomefour

Legend
Yep.
I can see getting up 13-3 and trying to sit on the ball.
Is the O going from one that tried to be aggressive without the play makers on the field to do it to an O that is going to run the clock out on small leads?
That approach worked well in SF for a couple of years. Can this D be as good as that one? And the O line?
The Rams not grabbing a lineman in round 1 tells me that they think they have one or two starters outside of Robinson and Saffold on the roster already.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Another problem w/ the linemean theory is since Washington took Sherff earlier than expected, it quickly slid the 2nd (top lineman,) to the Giants. And w/ Collins sliding himself into WTF? land, going w/ the top pick on our board made the right sense. That being said.... I can't say I am "excited" about the pick. Numb would probably be a better word. I understand it....but that's about as far as I'll go now.

jjab360

Legend
Fisher can finally run that smashmouth offense he's wanted since coming to the Rams. We've seen glimpses of it but just couldn't maintain with Stacy who couldn't hit the home run and Mason who could hit the home run but couldn't break tackles. Gurley is the complete package, there's nothing he can't do.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Fisher can finally run that smashmouth offense he's wanted since coming to the Rams. We've seen glimpses of it but just couldn't maintain with Stacy who couldn't hit the home run and Mason who could hit the home run but couldn't break tackles. Gurley is the complete package, there's nothing he can't do.
Good! Cuz someone is going to need to block...

ausmurp

Starter
Would you take an AP clone at that pick? Literally a clone of AP just no off field issues and only 20 yrs old? Yes you would no question. Honestly I expected Jags to take him at 3. Oh well we have the best RB in the league now. I wasn't happy at first but am now.

I just don't want to have a similar offense to Vikings. Hoping we will be more like Cowboys...

Athos

Legend
Mayock and co said it perfectly imo.

Rams wanna be the Hags.

Play nasty D and run it the fuck down your throat over and over and over again. Gurley helps that and imo, makes the O-Line better like Lynch makes the Hags mediocre O-line better.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This is a pick we'll have to wait for a couple years to see if it was a good one. Question is, where would Gurley have been drafted without the injury? Form everything I've heard or read, he woulda gone sooner. But its the whole need vs. BPA thing. I believe Gurley will be fine, but I also believe they're not concerned about winning this year. I believe they're targeting next year.

Big Game

Living The Dream

BINGO!!!! (y):rockon::cheers:

Big Game

Living The Dream
Mayock and co said it perfectly imo.

Rams wanna be the Hags.

Play nasty D and run it the freak down your throat over and over and over again. Gurley helps that and imo, makes the O-Line better like Lynch makes the Hags mediocre O-line better.

Exactly its funny how people fail to realize that the Hags have an average O-Line. Its Beastmode that makes them look good.

I agree I think Gurley does that for us this year as well.

Big Game

Living The Dream
This is a pick we'll have to wait for a couple years to see if it was a good one. Question is, where would Gurley have been drafted without the injury? Form everything I've heard or read, he woulda gone sooner. But its the whole need vs. BPA thing. I believe Gurley will be fine, but I also believe they're not concerned about winning this year. I believe they're targeting next year.

I disagree with them not concerned about winning this year. Due to the fact that no coach is promised another year. I believe they want to and are trying to win this season. Like another poster mentioned Fisher can now run the smashmouth football game plan with Gurley and Mason as your two back system with Benny Cunningham being a good completment back. If they draft a couple O linemen in rounds two and three they will be fine.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
I was a little confused by the pick at first, but I think that this video helps explain why Todd Gurley was selected to be a part of the Jeff Fisher coached Rams:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I disagree with them not concerned about winning this year. Due to the fact that no coach is promised another year. I believe they want to and are trying to win this season. Like another poster mentioned Fisher can now run the smashmouth football game plan with Gurley and Mason as your two back system with Benny Cunningham being a good completment back. If they draft a couple O linemen in rounds two and three they will be fine.

Well, Fisher said that he is going to give Gurley as much time as he needs to be certain that his knee is fully recovered before he plays him....even if that means next year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Exactly its funny how people fail to realize that the Hags have an average O-Line. Its Beastmode that makes them look good.

I agree I think Gurley does that for us this year as well.

I think most people realize that Seattles Oline is not that great. It was very good when they first put it together but injuries and a few defections have ruined it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams not grabbing a lineman in round 1 tells me that they think they have one or two starters outside of Robinson and Saffold on the roster already.

Or, the looked at their draft board and said there is not a single Olinemen available that we would put anywhere close to Gurleys level and they felt there was no choice.

One report said there were some trade offers but nothing really worthy of consideration. So it sounds like they weren't getting much in return and decided picking Gurley was the best route to go.

I heard two reports on where he was on the Rams board. One said he was the top player and ESPN said he was the second player. I wonder who was the first if that is accurate. Maybe Williams?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well, Fisher said that he is going to give Gurley as much time as he needs to be certain that his knee is fully recovered before he plays him....even if that means next year.

I was doing some reading on ACLs by the NFL's top expert. Gurley should be physically ready and fully healed by July 1st. The important step, once it's healed, is retraining the muscles which loose all muscle memory in the surgery. That's unpredictable. AP took about 6 games of subpar performance.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Or, the looked at their draft board and said there is not a single Olinemen available that we would put anywhere close to Gurleys level and they felt there was no choice.

One report said there were some trade offers but nothing really worthy of consideration. So it sounds like they weren't getting much in return and decided picking Gurley was the best route to go.

I heard two reports on where he was on the Rams board. One said he was the top player and ESPN said he was the second player. I wonder who was the first if that is accurate. Maybe Williams?

I thought they said Mariota.

Big Game

Living The Dream

True i did hear Fisher say that. But and i'm going off what has been said publicly. The Doctor's and Gurley feel as if he is progressing well and could be able to play this year.

So i guess we will see how it all plays out. But i have a feeling much like Mason last year Gurley will see the field this season maybe not week one but by week 4 or 5 i could see him playing.