Why the Raiders are worse off with Jon Gruden in charge

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
George
.... their offseason moves, to put it politely, suck.... Which pleases me greatly.
a LOT of people agree with you ... as many people love to hate the Raiders.

If their hate is based on Al Davis being an asshole, I can't blame them. Besides hiring an attorney to defend his linebacker for rape, Al Davis did many, many, many, many, many, unethical things.

On more than one occasion, former NFL player Bill Koman told me the story of Al Davis asking him for a professional favor (slightly unethical), in which Bill granted. this took place in the 1960's ... Bill, who never played for Davis, was entering a stadium through the player's entrance, Al was waiting nearby, and he called out Bill by his first name and asked him to hold the gate open so he wouldn't have to pay for a ticket to get in ( he was scouting a few players in the game) The next time the two crossed paths, Al Davis was ungrateful and extremely disrespectful towards Bill. What a fuckwad Al Davis was.

Nevertheless, Al Davis who was Jewish and born on the 4th of July, was NEVER biased towards African Americans, Native Americans, Latin Americans, or women ( see Amy Trask). As long as a person could contribute to the success of the team, he was accepting of them.

Al Davis probably would have given Michael Sam the same chance that he gave an unwanted, unknown, and un-drafted offensive player from Missouri ... It was the guy who happened to make the most important defensive play in Rams history. If you don't know his name, then you were born after 1999.

I happen to be a straight, white, Christian, male, over 40, non-republican/non-democrat, without a master's degree ... but it ain't no never mind ...

If I could play at the professional level, Al Davis would have paid me.

But sadly there are a lot of people in this world that resents Al Davis for paying people of all ethnic/religious/education/gender backgrounds. (Otis Sistrunk) Those that have a problem with Al Davis for that reason can go Frank Unitas yourself.

If you're not a bigot and you still hate the Raiders ... then I give you a hi-five.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I hate al Davis because he made it possible for my rams to move away. And then the same summer the rams left and he had the whole town to himself, the dick head move back to Oakland. I hate him more than Georgia.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
His DC hire though is negated by hiring Tom Cable.

I think Cable's still one of the better OL coaches in the league. Not of the opinion that he was given enough to work with in Sheattle and that will prove out with the Raiders I think.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.silverandblackpride.com...-missed-drug-test-conflicting-ominous-reports
Report: Raiders WR Martavis Bryant has not failed or missed drug test despite ominous reports
By Levi Damien@LeviDamien Jun 21, 2018, 11:02am PDT
Martavis_Bryant_vet_minicamp_5.0.jpg
Oakland Raiders
Last week a report came out in the Las Vegas Review Journal saying that the Raiders feared Martavis Bryant could be suspended. I was unsure what to make of the report, because of how vague it was. We waited a bit to see if anything more solid came of it before even commenting on it. And now nearly a week later, there still is nothing solid to go on as to why the Raiders may or may not have feared a possible suspension.

One thing is for sure, however, is the report caused some shockwaves about Bryant, who has already been suspended several times, including all of the 2016 season for violations of the league’s substance abuse policy.

This week, I put out a call for questions in a mailbag and, as you might expect, the question on most Raiders fans minds came up. Here was my answer:

Well, first off we don’t even know if there is one impending. The report is quite shaky in how it’s worded. It just says the Raiders fear he could be suspended. Not that they’re expecting one or what exactly happened if anything at all. It’s not a lot to go on. We noted the report, but it could be nothing comes of it and we may only hear about it if something does, which means it’s possible we could be asking this question for a while.

A short time after this, Vic Tafur of the Athletic addressed the situation, saying similarly, but with one important detail — Bryant has not failed or missed a test.

As of Wednesday, Bryant had not been notified by the league of anything. I am told he did not fail a drug test or miss a test for that matter.

Neither Bryant or McKenzie or Gruden or the NFL will comment on the report, and they shouldn’t. Again, it didn’t say anything. I am told there was a similar story a couple of months ago (I don’t know who the reporter was) that was killed because it turned out that there was a complication that was cleared up when Bryant visited the NFL offices.

Could this be a similar situation? Paperwork? I don’t know. And we’re not supposed to know. It’s private.

That doesn’t necessarily mean Bryant is free and clear. He is, after all, still under a close watch by the commissioner. But as of now, we’re still wondering where the fire is to all that smoke (or hot air if you like). Meanwhile, Bryant could be getting dragged over the coals for no reason.

Name
George
Meh. To me, Gruden = Fisher:LOL::fuelfire::rimshot:

so fisher's montra is 7-9 bullshit .... last year the Raiders went 6-10 and the article says they will be worse under gruden.

but according to your "fisher" comment, you are predicting the Raiders to be better than last year.

Raiders better than 2017? probably yes
Raider better than 2016? probably not

Name
George
I have always admired the A gap pressures that defense produces. Just like the outside technique they push with the CBs to funnel action to the middle. It's a great defensive scheme.

Of course we have a pretty damn good scheme and DC ourselves and hopefully it causes Gruden and company to have a rough start to the season... (y)

Great post. I think you will be right about Game #1 ... and about the Feb 3rd game.

though the Rams aren't considered a "double A-Gap" defense ... on most occasions, they show a double A-Gap threat by using an inside 3-tech + ... it really fucks with the minds of the opposing QB's.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
a LOT of people agree with you ... as many people love to hate the Raiders.

If their hate is based on Al Davis being an icehole, I can't blame them. Besides hiring an attorney to defend his linebacker for rape, Al Davis did many, many, many, many, many, unethical things.

On more than one occasion, former NFL player Bill Koman told me the story of Al Davis asking him for a professional favor (slightly unethical), in which Bill granted. this took place in the 1960's ... Bill, who never played for Davis, was entering a stadium through the player's entrance, Al was waiting nearby, and he called out Bill by his first name and asked him to hold the gate open so he wouldn't have to pay for a ticket to get in ( he was scouting a few players in the game) The next time the two crossed paths, Al Davis was ungrateful and extremely disrespectful towards Bill. What a fuckwad Al Davis was.

Nevertheless, Al Davis who was Jewish and born on the 4th of July, was NEVER biased towards African Americans, Native Americans, Latin Americans, or women ( see Amy Trask). As long as a person could contribute to the success of the team, he was accepting of them.

Al Davis probably would have given Michael Sam the same chance that he gave an unwanted, unknown, and un-drafted offensive player from Missouri ... It was the guy who happened to make the most important defensive play in Rams history. If you don't know his name, then you were born after 1999.

I happen to be a straight, white, Christian, male, over 40, non-republican/non-democrat, without a master's degree ... but it ain't no never mind ...

If I could play at the professional level, Al Davis would have paid me.

But sadly there are a lot of people in this world that resents Al Davis for paying people of all ethnic/religious/education/gender backgrounds. (Otis Sistrunk) Those that have a problem with Al Davis for that reason can go Frank Unitas yourself.

If you're not a bigot and you still hate the Raiders ... then I give you a hi-five.

Al Davis has been dead since 2011. There are no current Raiders left over from then.

I dislike their offseason moves because they spent a fortune on Jon Gruden, who I've never been crazy about.

They downgraded at receiver. They reached at OT imo. While they needed to address it, reaching with the #15 pick when the team has numerous holes is foolish.

I hate the Raiders for their repeated moves, lawsuits, and because of sibling rivalry - my older brother is a Raiders fan.

Name
George
By Levi Damien@LeviDamien Jun 21, 2018, 11:02am PDT
Thanks for sharing.

I like LeviDamien's work ... but keep in mind he is a Raider homer. An inside source that has 1st hand contact with players posted the rumor about Bryant's failed/missed test before the media did. The "inside" source may be wrong .. but more often than not he isn't.

No solid evidence either way has come out. Hopefully Levi Damien is correct.

I'd rather the Rams win against the Raiders when they are at 100%

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I hate al Davis because he made it possible for my rams to move away. And then the same summer the rams left and he had the whole town to himself, the dick head move back to Oakland. I hate him more than Georgia.

I didn't think any Rams fan would think that was possible.

Name
George
Al Davis has been dead since 2011. There are no current Raiders left over from then.
Remind me please who the current owner is?

I dislike their offseason moves because they spent a fortune on Jon Gruden,
remind me please how much of Gruden's salary is subtracted from the team's salary cap? and keep in mind that Al Junior isn't the 100% owner ... the other owners are ponying up for this move too.

They downgraded at receiver.
and have been cured of locker-room cancer..... so do you really think that Crabs is better than Jordy Nelson AND Martavis Bryant at the same time? (rhetorical)

They reached at OT imo.
only if you are a lemming of what a few talking heads claim. Since Donald's success against Gabe Jackson will be slim and slim ... we will no doubt get to see Donald (and Suh) stunting or lining up on the outside against Kolten Miller in his first ever NFL game. this could be ugly for the Raiders.

I hate the Raiders .... because of sibling rivalry - my older brother is a Raiders fan.
valid reason ... respect to you.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Cable's still one of the better OL coaches in the league. Not of the opinion that he was given enough to work with in Sheattle and that will prove out with the Raiders I think.
All we can go on is his track record. Seattle used many higher picks on OLine and signed/traded for some good free agents and they didn't improve at all.

Name
George
Wasn't too long ago when people were raving about Cable, but I concur, hopefully, the Rams will devastate their OL.
They will. But keep in mind that Carr has one of the quickest snap-to-release times in all of the NFL ... but wait ... the Rams OL needs big-time support from LBs to contain the run game.

Hopefully both teams will be at mid-season form and 100% healthy. Will be a fun competition to watch.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remind me please who the current owner is?

Mark Davis - he of the aggressively bad haircut.

and have been cured of locker-room cancer..... so do you really think that Crabs is better than Jordy Nelson AND Martavis Bryant at the same time? (rhetorical)

Martavis Bryant is not one to point to as a cure for locker room cancer. If that were the goal, they failed.

Jordy Nelson is close to done. Bryant may or may not play for them. Crabtree is a jackass, but a damn fine receiver.

Ram65

Legend
The article seems a bit slanted.

The WR moves are interesting. Jordy Nelson may have lost a step and some quickness but, he start the new culture Gruden wants. Nelson will be a great example leader for the Raiders. If Bryant stays out of trouble he could be a good pickup. He has size and talent. Some risks but they could work out.

Speaking of risks and rewards, how about the Raiders draft.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/4/28/17297238/raiders-final-2018-nfl-draft-results

Round 1, pick 15 (from ARI) — Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA

Round 2, pick 57 (from TEN) — PJ Hall, DT, Sam Houston State

Round 3, pick 65 (from BAL) — Brandon Parker, OT, North Carolina A&
Round 3, Pick 87 (from LAR) — Arden Key, DE, LSU

Round 4, pick 110 — Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin

Round 5, pick 140 (from IND) — Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan

Round 5, pick 173 (from DAL) — Johnny Townsend, P, Florida

Round 6, pick 216 (Comp) — Azeem Victor, ILB, Washington

Round 7, pick 228 — Marcel Ateman, WR, Oklahoma State

In addition to these picks, the Raiders sent a Round 3 pick they acquired from the Cardinals to the Steelers for wide receiver Martavis Bryant.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Gruden cuts a big time punter and saves money taking a 5th round who IIRC averaged 47 yards a punt his sr year.

If the tackles work out he sets the stage on the offensive line for years to come. They have a solid interior line so it a good time to get the OTs that will get good help while they learn. Hall, Key and Hurst could be a big defensive haul in a couple of years. Some risk with Arden and Hurst but, could be big rewards. Key has some great natural talent (Was hoping Rams drafted him) and Hurst was considered first round talent before the heart questions.

I can't say I'm a fan of Gruden. It will be fun to see how he does and how long the players buy into his act. By no means can I say his hiring is a bad move even if they I think they overpaid him.

Name
George
Mark Davis - he of the aggressively bad haircut.
your answer to your own suggestion that no Raiders are left from 2011?

Martavis Bryant is not one to point to as a cure for locker room cancer
Bryant may or may not be lung cancer ... but Crabs was prostate cancer.

Prostate Cancer is cured. Bryant hasn't been diagnosed .. too early to tell if he is cancer. But maybe you have an article/source that says different? Crickets are annoying.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
a
your answer to your own suggestion that no Raiders are left from 2011?

You asked who the current Raiders owner was. I answered, quoting your question. It's replies that this that make you appear to be an insincere poster.

There is a high quality level of posters on this site, and it's expected that posters, new or not, at least attempt to hit that level. Please do better going forward, at least if you wish to be taken seriously - especially since you turned around and made a rude comment like "Crickets are annoying."

Name
George
I answered, (a rhetorical question) ...that make you appear to be an insincere poster.
some thug stole my security blanket today ... please have mercy on me ... and when you get time, please quote your source(s)

Last edited:

Debacled

Starter
This original article is lazy at best and probably just bad. Did he really compare bringing Phil Jackson (who was brought in as GM/adviser....a role he had never actually occupied with the Lakers) to bringing Gruden back as a HC.....a job he has held for a number of years in the past? The current trend sure is to hire young coaches (thank McVay for that), but you know how trends start? Somebody does something that works.

Cable was an odd pick to shoot barbs at as well. He is a well respected line coach who helped that team win a SB with a chicken with its head cut off playing QB that literally holds onto the ball as long as possible.

Also having a large gap in contract negotiations with Mack is less than surprising....he is another guy that will set records with his next contract.

I could keep going, and I am all for criticizing a guy....but this just doesn't do it.

Name
George
This original article is lazy at best and probably just bad.

Cable was an odd pick to shoot barbs at as well. He is a well respected line coach who helped that team win a SB with a chicken with its head cut off playing QB that literally holds onto the ball as long as possible.

you made some great points (thank you for being realistic) ... not to mention, the success of the running back that Cable's OL in seattle blocked for ... I forgot what team that RB is on now ...does anyone remember?

I don't know why people get so wound up against the Raiders.

The Rams will defeat them in pre-season, they will defeat them in the regular season, and they will defeat them in the post-season.

going to be a fun season to be watching both the Rams and Raiders.... I'm glad this thread was started.

Feb 3, 2019 here we come.