Why Not Zay Jones.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with your observation but I have a different kind of question about how different your rankings are with the talent level/skill sets of your top four wide receivers.

Your TOP 4 day 2 WR's are
1. Cooper Kupp
2. Zay Jones
3. Chris Godwin
4. Juju Smith

Do you think #1 Kupp is head and shoulders above #2 Zay? Is Zay the same over #3 Godwin and Godwin the same over #4 JuJu etc?

I ask because I don't have my TOP 4 day 2 WR's separated by very much to be upset should my #4 ranked get selected by the Rams as opposed to my #1 ranked. Not suggesting you do either by any means....

Anyway, I think both of us would agree that the teams our Top 4 WR's are drafted by and the offensive schemes combined with the pedigree of quarterbacks throwing to them, will could have huge impact on their success in the first couple of years of their careers. Or am I wrong about your evaluations and ranking system?

Do you have #1 Kupp so special that no matter what team drafts him you think he will have superior stats his first 2 seasons compared to #2 Zay ?

And #2 Zay the same over #3 Godwin regardless what teams they get drafted by?

And #3 Godwin over #4 JuJu no matter what teams they get drafted by?

It's a good question because it exploits how much better you actually believe your number 1 ranked is compared to your number four ranked.

A special WR that is special because he can put up some really good numbers even if he goes to a team with a below average QB and or primitive passing team. Not always the case but the great ones find a way to produce as you already know.

Back to the point.. Is your top 4 WR's separated by a distinct margin and if so why?
Kupp, Zay, Godwin and JuJu.

f62219_76dd533c230d4aa9ad0b06769c5e71f7~mv2.jpg_srz_157_153_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

I'm not going to be upset if we draft any of those four. Kupp is the guy I want the most. I'll be less excited if we draft one of the others, but I won't be disappointed with any. How big is the margin? That's a hard question to answer. As it stands now, I'd say Juju and Godwin are pretty close to each other. Zay is above them by a not huge margin. Kupp is above Zay by a not huge margin.

I don't think you can say one will outproduce another regardless of where they end up. It's the nature of the WR position. Supporting cast it too important for WRs. Frankly, the differences lie to me in how NFL ready each guy is and how safe of a prospect each guy is. That's really what creates the margins between the four.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm not going to be upset if we draft any of those four. Kupp is the guy I want the most. I'll be less excited if we draft one of the others, but I won't be disappointed with any. How big is the margin? That's a hard question to answer. As it stands now, I'd say Juju and Godwin are pretty close to each other. Zay is above them by a not huge margin. Kupp is above Zay by a not huge margin.

I don't think you can say one will outproduce another regardless of where they end up. It's the nature of the WR position. Supporting cast it too important for WRs. Frankly, the differences lie to me in how NFL ready each guy is and how safe of a prospect each guy is. That's really what creates the margins between the four.

I knew you would give a logical smart answer because I've read all your WR stuff. I'm going to be a little ticked off should they end up picking nobody we have ranked in our TOP 5/6... One last question... who are your 6th and 7th ranked consolation prizes?

You know mine 6th/7th Chris Godwin (tie) with Dede Westbrook even though Westbrook has off field past problems and only weighs 180 lbs soak and wet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I knew you would give a logical smart answer because I've read all your WR stuff. I'm going to be a little ticked off should they end up picking nobody we have ranked in our TOP 5/6... One last question... who are your 6th and 7th ranked consolation prizes?

You know mine 6th/7th Chris Godwin (tie) with Dede Westbrook even though Westbrook has off field past problems and only weighs 180 lbs soak and wet.

It depends on what we classify Engram as. If he's a WR, Josh Reynolds would be #6 with Taywan Taylor at #7. If he's a TE, Reynolds bumps up to #5 with Taylor at #6 and Mack Hollins at #7.

Westbrook's off the field issues disqualify him for me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't respect his Pac12 performance, since I believe that overrated "basketball on grass" conference has some of the worst defenses in the nation, most so bad they'd made Tim Walton blush...
Ouch!!!!
I question a lot of the defenses in the entire nation. College defenses are in serious need of coaches.There is talent...especially at the defensive back positions. D-Linemen are a different story.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why not Zay Jones? He doesn't separate well vertically, if that's what we're after.

Once again he will move the change & catch TD's . He will go up & get a ball as well in coverage. --Brings you back to Tavon & his speed.

The Rams need a TE though that is a difference maker. Where is Engrams value ?? If he fits like Reed in Washington for McVay that might be priceless . Kupp might be there later in the 3rd . I think it's value & draft board.
Position & value play a huge part.
I'm so into getting 3 top 2-3rd rd picks by trading up. I think this draft is that deep in positions of need .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ouch!!!!
I question a lot of the defenses in the entire nation. College defenses are in serious need of coaches.There is talent...especially at the defensive back positions. D-Linemen are a different story.

Go look at The best CB's in the NFL.

The 2 from U of W standout. Trufant just signed a huge contract extension & the kid at KC my be the best CB in the NFL.
Oh yeah speaking of Seattle. Didn't Sherman go to Stanford ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree with your observation but I have a different kind of question about how different your rankings are with the talent level/skill sets of your top four wide receivers.

1. Cooper Kupp
2. Zay Jones
3. Chris Godwin
4. Juju Smith

Do you think #1 Kupp is head and shoulders above #2 Zay? Is Zay the same over #3 Godwin and Godwin the same over #4 JuJu etc?

I ask because I don't have my TOP 4 day 2 WR's separated by very much to be upset should my #4 ranked get selected by the Rams as opposed to my #1 ranked. Not suggesting you do either by any means....

Anyway, I think both of us would agree that the teams our Top 4 WR's are drafted by and the offensive schemes combined with the pedigree of quarterbacks throwing to them, will could have huge impact on their success in the first couple of years of their careers. Or am I wrong about your evaluations and ranking system?

Do you have #1 Kupp so special that no matter what team drafts him you think he will have superior stats his first 2 seasons compared to #2 Zay ?

It's a good question because it exploits how much better you actually believe your number 1 ranked is compared to your number four ranked.

A special WR that is special because he can put up some really good numbers even if he goes to a team with a below average QB and or primitive passing team. Not always the case but the great ones find a way to produce as you already know.

Back to the point.. Is your top 4 WR's separated by a distinct margin and if so why?

f62219_76dd533c230d4aa9ad0b06769c5e71f7~mv2.jpg_srz_157_153_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

There you go !! Look how deep the WR position is. I say trade up at some point to get Engram & or 2 of those WR's .To me those guys are all solid NFL WR. It just sure's up the position for 4 years. Especially growing with Goff . Then again what about Copper,Thomas, Spruuuce ? I think TE is a must & Engram looks like the guy.
---I watched Kittle run his 40 & was seriously impressed by his speed.If it was a 60' yard dash he would have been top 10 in the whole draft.
My concern is his blocking , but coming out of Iowa I'm sure he has a good skill set.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Kittle's blocking ability is probably his best attribute at this point....IMO he's one of, if not the best blocking TE in this draft. It is Kittle's blocking ability that makes him a perfect fit with Higbee, and then with him being able to use his speed/athleticism from an inline position in McVay's offense.....he's going to be a beast. He didn't put up big receiving numbers at Iowa because he was not asked to, but he only had 1 drop when thrown to. I really feel we need another blocking TE on the roster as Harkey is the only guy in that role as of now. Kittle is the best combo guy.....he's an excellent inline blocker.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Once again he will move the change & catch TD's . He will go up & get a ball as well in coverage. --Brings you back to Tavon & his speed.

I answered the question the thread asked. I've made it clear that Zay Jones is my second favorite WR on Day 2.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
If he's gone I'd consider some of those other wideouts but it depends on which DBs are on the board. I think it's going to come down to who's the highest guy on their board from among OL, WR, CB, DE, S. I suppose TE is possible too, but I think one of the other positions is more likely for a few reasons, those being TE is not a year one impact position, they like Higbee too so it's a depth need, and it's a deep position that can be had in rounds 3 and later.

OL is the scary one. Such a weak class that who knows wtf is going to happen. I expect three OTs go in round one, and probably Lamp. Round 2 will probably see teams that need OL start reaching and it's gonna be ugly for teams that wait. Not a good year for OL man.

100%

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Go look at The best CB's in the NFL.

The 2 from U of W standout. Trufant just signed a huge contract extension & the kid at KC my be the best CB in the NFL.
Oh yeah speaking of Seattle. Didn't Sherman go to Stanford ?
I think you made my point...there IS talent in the Pac-12 on the defensive side...Especially at defensive back....corners and safeties....there's even a few linebackers....not as many defensive linemen.
The main problem I see is lack of time preparing defensive schemes....and the lack of innovative defensive coaches. UCLA had a good one a couple years ago...think he left for the pros. Walker....was his name.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think you made my point...there IS talent in the Pac-12 on the defensive side...Especially at defensive back....corners and safeties....there's even a few linebackers....not as many defensive linemen.
The main problem I see is lack of time preparing defensive schemes....and the lack of innovative defensive coaches. UCLA had a good one a couple years ago...think he left for the pros. Walker....was his name.
USC had that kid at Minnesota that is tearing it up. Clay & Nich Perry as well.
BeauchannN at Arizona played at UW as well. That just off the service.

Utah has a kid that might be a steal.Colordo has that CB scouted high in the draft. I can't wait to see what Adore Jackson does in the NFL

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I can't wait to see what Adore Jackson does in the NFL
Not the biggest Adoree fan....I saw him get eaten alive buy Goodwin in the rose bowl...and Ross when he went against Washington....I believe he had trouble vs some UCLA receiver too. He doesn't have natural cover skills...He's the defensive equivalent of Tavon Austin.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not the biggest Adoree fan....I saw him get eaten alive buy Goodwin in the rose bowl...and Ross when he went against Washington....I believe he had trouble vs some UCLA receiver too. He doesn't have natural cover skills...He's the defensive equivalent of Tavon Austin.
Maybe ?? I like his upside though. He was focusing on track as well.Agree he is a little on the smallish side.
-- who are your favorite DB's in the draft ?

Ants

Starter

1. Cooper Kupp
2. Zay Jones
3. Chris Godwin
4. Juju Smith

Anyone care to throw Dede Westbrook into this mix?
Seems like he should be in the discussion to me.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Anyone care to throw Dede Westbrook into this mix?
Seems like he should be in the discussion to me.

I threw him into the mix in this thread @Ants

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...ams-have-shown-the-most-interest.49257/page-2

People are turned off by Dede because of his off the field issues and his skinny "slime jim" frame. I wouldn't mind having him on board.

My Top Rated on 04/22/2017

1. Juju Smith
2. Cooper Kupp
3. Zay Jones
4. ArDarius Sterart
5. Josh Reynolds
6 Chris Godwin (tie) Dede Westbrook

FBBW0072.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have heard a lot of possibilities with the 37th pick. I, myself am leaning towards an offensive pick such as Wr or Te...... and i am torn between JuJu, Godwin, and Jones if we go Wr at that point. I've seen a lot of projections that involve JuJu and Godwin but none that involve Jones..... so I was wondering why not Zay Jones with the 37th pick? I myself have given him a late 1st to early 2nd round grade...along with Smith-Schuster and Godwin .... so what are the perceived weaknesses that I don't see? Interested in hearing your thoughts....

Go Rams.......... ;)
Any of the WR's you mentioned would be Fine choices! I'll leave it to McVay and Company to make the Choice!

GO RAMS!!
addon.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
BTW, Phil Savage does a nice job of explaining why Zay Jones is my #2 WR behind Cooper Kupp on Day 2:

As it stands now, my Day 2 WR rankings are:
1. Cooper Kupp
2. Zay Jones
3. Chris Godwin
4. Juju Smith
5. Josh Reynolds

DARE I SAY IT! I would replace your 5th - Josh Reynolds with Robert Davis!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I'm with you. I have Adoree late round 2 to early round 3 in this draft. Would take Lewis before him straight up and as a USC fan I readily admit it's not close. Maybe my dislike for him being beaten is showing here, but he is not a focused, shutdown CB. His supposed "upside," well, you can have it.

After that Rosebowl I went back and watched everything I could find on Goodwin. Dude is legit, love that kid and think he's going to blossom into one helluva receiver if he's drafted by a good staff.