Why did Tavon hardly play yesterday.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think trying to force feed the ball to him is at least as bad as ignoring him...That's what it seemed to me McVay did yesterday...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think trying to force feed the ball to him is at least as bad as ignoring him...That's what it seemed to me McVay did yesterday...

Exactly. Too many touches for him yesterday. He looks much better when mcvay sprinkles him into the game plan. With much better results.

Although bad blocking screwed a couple of the plays he was in yesterday. He can't do much with 3 defenders in front of him.

Tano

Legend
I too thought they gave him the ball a couple times too many. But the number of plays he was in the game was just right imo.

However, I still believe we benefit greatly from his fake jet sweeps with the occasional real sweep to keep defenses honest. The one day that defenses don't move to contain Austin is the day he breaks a long run for a TD.

However, paying him as much as they are for being just a decoy is not cost beneficial. I wonder if there is someone else on the team who could easily take Tavon's place next year - Cooper ... Dunbar???

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I don't mind tavon gettng carries, but why do much inside the tackle running?

Run him to the outside or pitch him a few times a game. My opinion , they are showing off his skillset to other teams that might be interested .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the Aint's were ready for Austin because, in our meeting last year, he went 4 of 4 Targets for 45 yards and a TD. JMHO ( But nothing worked with him!)

Here's the rough list of concerns for Allen before yesterday's game when gameplanning vs the Rams offense:

1. Gurley
2. Watkins
3. Kupp
4. Maybe Tavon

It's not that they were ready for him. It's that he doesn't matter in this scheme. Our next opponent will be more concerned with Higbee and Everett than Tavon.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon is what he has always been
average

What's effed up is that he isn't even average.

He's a below average RB who can only do something if there's a seam where nobody can touch him.

He's a below average WR who they STILL don't trust in the pattern. Why? Because he can't run precise routes that this offense requires.

Dude doesn't fit. At this point I'm pi$$ed they didn't trade him. Even a mid rounder would have been a good return but now everyone's gonna know he's a cut.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TA had 5 rushes for 17 yards and 1 catch for -3 yards.
I found it interesting that he played 27 of 77 snaps for 35% of plays
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201711260ram.htm

What was going through McVay's mind when he kept running Tavon outside for no gain and why play him all those snaps?

I guess the obvious answer is he looking for a some nice gains where TA gets into the secondary.
He wanted to give Gurley a few breathers during the game and keep him fresh.
He wanted to get the Saints defense a little more tired by running to the outside. Run some more clock too.
The Saints still have to account for his speed so they have to set defense with that in mind.

I wish we knew what McVay was really thinking.

Good points.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Here's the rough list of concerns for Allen before yesterday's game when gameplanning vs the Rams offense:

1. Gurley
2. Watkins
3. Kupp
4. Maybe Tavon

It's not that they were ready for him. It's that he doesn't matter in this scheme. Our next opponent will be more concerned with Higbee and Everett than Tavon.
I'm not sure who the Cards will be "Most worried about" next week. When we met last time:
* Goff had 235 Yards Passing w/ 1 TD, But rushed for another TD!
* Gurley rushed for 106 yards w/ 1 TD and had 4 receptions for 48 yards!
* Woods had 5 receptions for 59 yards, But he's Out!
* Kupp had 4 receptions for 51 yards and a TD!
* and Greg the Leg had 4 FG's!
Higbee and Austin did very little stats wise, and I don't know if Everett was even in the game.
And after everything that we've seen McVay do since that week #7 game Arian's, I don't think, will know what to Plan for, unless it's his Last Meal!!:LOL:
Just some "Food for thought"!!;):D

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Tavon was open a few times yesterday. I agree that he doesn’t fit well in this offense. But like others have said, those jet sweeps are a staple in this offense. It gives the defense something to think about. That will be big in the playoffs.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I now want him off the team. Trade him for a six pack of beer. He is messing up the mojo. Defenses would still have to be honest if another receiver was in on the jet sweeps, fake or not.
It seems even McVay has a issue with finding ways to get him the ball. He needs force fed, not a good thing for a team that spreads the ball so much.
Another Fisher mistake. Fix it. Goodby Tavon.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The play that tore it for me was when he had two defenders in front of him and one behind him, he just went and laid down on the field without being touched. I looked at my wife and said I wonder what the players on the sideline and coaches thought about that crap. McVay could give Cooper these same snaps and he would be more productive.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't mind tavon gettng carries, but why do much inside the tackle running?

Run him to the outside or pitch him a few times a game. My opinion , they are showing off his skillset to other teams that might be interested .

Doubt it. Contrary to what some people think that I have a "man-crush" on Tavon, I do acknowledge his contract. But I don't hold that above Tavon's head like most do.

As far as play goes, he had b/w the tackle runs in college a lot, and was pretty good at it. It never translated to the NFL.

Also I don't know how 8 touches qualifies as "force-feed". But whatever, Tavon is here to stay, he has a role. End of story.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he has a role.
And exactly what is that role?

Punt Returner? Nope
Wide Receiver? Nope
Running back (except as a decoy)? Nope
So, he is an very expensive decoy who's real value cannot be quantified.

If you can't see that he is about as specialized a player as can get, I can't help you.

Let's see how the rest of the year pans out but, if things don't improve for him in terms of real productivity? I'd be very surprised if they don't find a way to jettison him.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
We can tie a piece of meat to TA and have the honey badger chase his tail all game that should help tremendously. We will even throw in hazard pay incase he gets mauled.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
And exactly what is that role?

Punt Returner? Nope
Wide Receiver? Nope
Running back (except as a decoy)? Nope
So, he is an very expensive decoy who's real value cannot be quantified.

If you can't see that he is about as specialized a player as can get, I can't help you.

Let's see how the rest of the year pans out but, if things don't improve for him in terms of real productivity? I'd be very surprised if they don't find a way to jettison him.

It's been said time and time in this thread again.

He is a part of the running game. Does he have the pretty numbers? No. But think about it like this...

Since the passing game is so much approved, teams can't stack a safety. So there's a 7 man front, and Tavon takes away that 7 man. So TG goes against 6 men. People say put any player in there, but no player on this team has that speed and defenders respect that. The SF game really highlights this, as does the Dallas game.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-rams-tavon-austin-sean-mcvay-stats-analysis/

You and others detractors are obsessed with the contract. Let it go and see Tavon has a player and not as a pile of papers.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
He can't do much with 3 defenders in front of him.

"...he got the moves like Jagger..."

Nick-Swardson-Plays-Dance-Dance-Revolution-In-Grandmas-Boy.gif

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Tavon was open a few times yesterday. I agree that he doesn’t fit well in this offense. But like others have said, those jet sweeps are a staple in this offense. It gives the defense something to think about. That will be big in the playoffs.

Tavon certainly got open on a few routes yesterday. The ball was just not delivered to him.

The more weapons we can deploy the greater threat we are to opposing defenses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon certainly got open on a few routes yesterday. The ball was just not delivered to him.

The more weapons we can deploy the greater threat we are to opposing defenses.

Tavon's where throws go to die. Hard to blame the QB for ignoring him.

Not long ago most here felt that Tavon was irreplaceable as a punt returner. Now it's that he's irreplaceable as a jet sweep option, because, you know, nobody else is capable of running it. But I'll bet we'd be better served with Pharoh doing it, because he'd also be able to run some basic routes and it would complicate what the defense reads.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Tavon's where throws go to die. Hard to blame the QB for ignoring him.

Not long ago most here felt that Tavon was irreplaceable as a punt returner. Now it's that he's irreplaceable as a jet sweep option, because, you know, nobody else is capable of running it. But I'll bet we'd be better served with Pharoh doing it, because he'd also be able to run some basic routes and it would complicate what the defense reads.

I am not arguing against the idea that Tavon should be producing more. However, it's crazy to sit here and say he doesn't have an impact on the game.

Passes to Tavon go to die, how about that quick outlet on the swing from Goff who was under heavy pressure, he had to put that on Tavon fast. A likely sack to a 4 yard gain.

The play action fake that had Goff roll out and dump it off to Cooper. That was set up with a Tavon jetsweep 'decoy'.

When watching the game live I also thought Tavon didn't have a very good game. But he came into yesterday being the primary back up running back and also a guy to replace Woods. Could have seen better numbers from him.

However after rewatching the game Tavon had a much bigger impact than I originally expected from watching live.

There is no doubt in my mind that Saints have some linebackers with some sideline to sideline speed. Klein and the other guy, I think they both had captain patches.