Why aren't the Rams getting more love? (and do we really mind?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd add that the "hate" the Los Angeles Rams get also is a consequence of being in Los Angeles.... there's a certain level of "hate" ...saltiness....whatever you want to call it that Los Angeles sports teams get.
"Beat LA" is the most oft chant in pro sports. You hear it at every game the Rams, Dodgers, Lakers, Kings play. Hell. You probably hear it at WNBA games.

Not sure how many cities have had their team win EVERY pro championship. Regardless - they can suck it. Come up with something original. Maybe it's because they can't complete a chant that goes beyond three syllables.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMG_4919.png

They won’t see us coming until it’s too late…

PARAM

Hall of Fame
There's this too...."Did the Rams receive a fair roster ranking from PFF?"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...S&cvid=e483de3497af4292891729ef83657a93&ei=46

The Los Angeles Rams surpassed any realistic perceptions the media had about them entering last season. Given the 2024 campaign is just a few months away, nothing about the Rams should catch anyone off guard this year. With that in mind, PFF’s Jim Wyman and Dalton Wasserman placed LA at No. 14 in their new 2024 NFL roster rankings.

The Rams were sandwiched between fellow NFC playoff hopefuls, the Green Bay Packers (#13) and the Atlanta Falcons (#15). That middling ranking at the moment appears fair as the defense without Aaron Donald remains a mystery and PFF listed the secondary as the team’s biggest weakness.

If this offseason’s secondary work pays off, then LA might be a dark-horse NFC contender. Of course, that will depend on the growth shown from youngsters like Kobie Turner, who Wyman and Wasserman named as the Rams’ X-factor for 2024:

“Aaron Donald’s retirement forces Kobie Turner into a marquee role on the Rams’ defensive line. Turner finished his rookie season with an excellent 83.2 overall grade and led the team with 12 sacks. Obviously, he won’t be asked to fill the void left by Donald by himself, but he will need to continue his excellent play to mitigate the loss.”
The PFF analysts then selected first-round EDGE rusher Jared Verse as the team’s rookie to watch:

“Another player tasked with replacing Aaron Donald’s production is first-round pick Jared Verse. He had a spectacular two-year run at Florida State and produced a 90.8 pass-rush grade in 2023. Meanwhile, the Rams’ edge group finished 30th in the NFL in overall grade last season. Verse will have every opportunity to star for this defense.”
Assuming Turner and Verse live up to their billing, the Rams might have a dangerous pass rush to contend with for years to come. No one anticipates that duo to become the second coming of AD. However, they don’t need to be if they compliment each other well along the defensive line.

PFF also gave the Rams an 8.5 win total and encouraged bettors to take the over in ‘24. For once, an outlet isn’t docking LA for Donald’s abrupt retirement as Wyman and Wasserman expect the Rams to remain in the mix for an NFC playoff spot.

“Aaron Donald is a huge loss for the Rams, but a team with Matthew Stafford, Kyren Williams, Cooper Kupp and Puka Nacua should still have a winning season. Their postseason success will be dictated by their defensive development. As long as Stafford continues to produce, the Rams will at least be in the playoff mix.”
Like I said earlier, I felt these rankings were fair considering we haven’t gotten into training camp yet. There is still plenty of time before the start of the regular season, but the Rams have too talented a roster not to at least contend in the conference. What are your thoughts on PFF’s roster rankings?

oldnotdead

Legend
Stafford is injury prone and that isn't some made up thing. He's been injured every year. In 2021 he was dealing with an elbow and tendonitis. In 2022 look at how many games he missed. Yeah and he missed a game last year too. Why do you think the Rams didn't jump to extend him when he indicated he wanted it? Why do you think even McVay says his status is year to year.

Why do you think they signed Jimmy G.? He's a far better backup than Wentz. Remember tendonitis is no joke, I deal with it myself. It's a chronic thing that can flare up if he needs to pass almost 400 times a year. It's why Corum was drafted, to insure they have a strong consistent run game to support Stafford. He's 36 years old and IMO he won't play beyond 2025 at best. Like I've been saying to friends, don't be surprised if Jimmy G. is a bridge starter next year for a QB they draft. I don't see a vet FA QB next year worth taking unless Tua leaves Miami.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Stafford is injury prone and that isn't some made up thing. He's been injured every year. In 2021 he was dealing with an elbow and tendonitis. In 2022 look at how many games he missed. Yeah and he missed a game last year too. Why do you think the Rams didn't jump to extend him when he indicated he wanted it? Why do you think even McVay says his status is year to year.

Why do you think they signed Jimmy G.? He's a far better backup than Wentz. Remember tendonitis is no joke, I deal with it myself. It's a chronic thing that can flare up if he needs to pass almost 400 times a year. It's why Corum was drafted, to insure they have a strong consistent run game to support Stafford. He's 36 years old and IMO he won't play beyond 2025 at best. Like I've been saying to friends, don't be surprised if Jimmy G. is a bridge starter next year for a QB they draft. I don't see a vet FA QB next year worth taking unless Tua leaves Miami.
Stafford is apparently healthier now than he was a year ago. He is signed through 2026. No reason to presume he won’t play that long.

Jimmy G. is here on a one year deal. Not sure why he’s relevant to the question of Stafford’s longevity.

Will the Rams draft an heir apparent at QB next year? Certainly possible.

Now…how about we get back on topic? Stafford is here now, and he’s poised to have a big year. That alone should get the Rams more love.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Can you post a link? I've never seen where he has said that.

You really need to pay better attention.

It was in the same press conference where McVay criticized Alaric Jackson for refusing to play any position other than Left Tackle; and then stated how frustrated he was with the Right Tackle position and had wanted to move-on from Rob Havenstein since 2019 but this was DEFINITELY Big Rob's final season with the Rams.

Surprised you missed that press conference.

I don't recall where it was held. Believe it was either Narnia or Hogwarts ... maybe Jumanji.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
McVay said:
"We were taking it a year at a time, but as long as he wants to play, we're fortunate to have him as our quarterback."
So, yes…OND has (again) taken something out of context and altered the connotation in order to weave an inaccurate narrative.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

So, yes…OND has (again) taken something out of context and altered the connotation in order to weave an inaccurate narrative.

OK ... so OND quotes McVay as saying ... 'his (Stafford's) status is year-to-year'

The actual quote was ...
"We were taking it a year at a time, but as long as he wants to play, we're fortunate to have him as our QB."

To be fair, the word 'year' does appear in both quotes ... the actual one, and the Not-accurate, Not-real one.

I think this represents an improvement for OND. I'm inclined to give him this one!

dang

Legend
OK ... so OND quotes McVay as saying ... 'his (Stafford's) status is year-to-year'

The actual quote was ...
"We were taking it a year at a time, but as long as he wants to play, we're fortunate to have him as our QB."

To be fair, the word 'year' does appear in both quotes ... the actual one, and the Not-accurate, Not-real one.

I think this represents an improvement for OND. I'm inclined to give him this one!
I had to set that poster to ignore a long time ago. He just didn’t support my desire for a positive experience on the forum.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just so you all know, OND and So Ram have coffee every morning together and plan their next posts here.

oldnotdead

Legend
Geez this forum has become nothing but negativity which for some reason is allowed.

Which is why I spend more time on my own group of friends from different fan bases where we have open and honest discussions. I joined here not to join a club but to simply share openly.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Geez this forum has become nothing but negativity which for some reason is allowed.

Which is why I spend more time on my own group of friends from different fan bases where we have open and honest discussions. I joined here not to join a club but to simply share openly.
The issue isn’t “negativity,” it’s your habit of misquoting and quoting out of context.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This "Stafford is injury prone" thing is a short sighted view. He didn't miss any games in 2021. And was lights out in the playoffs. Especially in crunch time. His elbow sure didn't look like it was a problem there.

In 2022 its likely he was shut down because it was a lost season and the line was gonna get him hurt more seriously. If they were in contention I believe he woulda been playing. Same with Donald. Kupp mighta been able to return late in the season. But why risk anything in a lost season?

In 2023 it was a freak injury when his thumb hit a player's helmet. Something that can happen to anyone. Even more durable QB's like when Goff missed a game with a thumb injury. He certainly looked like a healthy quarterback in the second half of the season. And he sure showed how tough he is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
where we have open and honest discussions.
It's the honest part we hone in on. You always claim to have seen or heard or received inside information, yet you NEVER back it up when called out on it.
If you simply offered your opinion? No problem. But when you talk about shit that NONE of have heard and have nothing to back it, we have a problem with that.

You are constantly throwing shit out as fact and much of it is pure bullshit. If you don't like the blow back, that's on you. Bring the back up info or expect people to call you on it.

And being straight up - if you don't like that, find somewhere else to post your baseless accusations and play the martyr card at another board.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You always claim to have seen or heard or received inside information, yet you NEVER back it up when called out on it.

If you simply offered your opinion? No problem.

You are constantly throwing shit out as fact and much of it is pure bullshit.

These are the relevant points @oldnotdead.

If you simply stated your opinions as opinions, instead of facts, the push-back would be minimal.
I have personally suggested this exact point to you several times in the past.

Stating opinions as if facts is not responsible. The Alaric Jackson/Left Tackle comment is one example.
Several posters found the articles, with Jackson's quotes and provided them in response to your comment.
I know this is true because, again, I am one of those posters.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No we don't mind, let McVay use it. And it's 100% happening because 99 retired. They're writing our D off as terrible like a lot here did last year.
Don’t forget Raheem Morris was not all in,in the way of winning.I’m not saying he wasn’t an excellent DC(leader of men),but he had a different philosophy than what Shula’s is going to be.(WE not ME).

I’m a huge Morris Fan & hope he wins the NFC South year in & year out.He helped The Rams win the Super Bowl.His phone call to get Eric Weedle out of retirement & into The HOF should be Legendary.

He got AD99(Weedle,Miller,OBJ,
Whit,Kupp,Stafford - )
out of his shell & taught him to be a TEAM LEADER & have FUN. It was so AWESOME to see AD99 & TURNER skipping together like school kids.

I drink The Kool-Aide.I mean having Bobby Wagner show show Ernest Jones how to be a TEAM LEADER & learn how to be a ALL PRO MLB!!! Ernest knows his worth & show do The Rams.We’ll see if he is going to get PAID before the 2024 season.He is The GREEN DOT !
Raheem groomed him for this.

What I am saying though is Shula is not here to groom players by not just letting them GO !!!! This (B) YOUNG Rams are HUNGRY !! I mean Hoecht is the ultimate team player.
Dude is going to get PAID after this season.You can go down The Line,but I’ll use Brian Song as my reference. I go to a log of training camps & LOVE the Black & White relationships of TEAM & pushing each other. Just to add to the list of an example Hager & Littleton
Shula & Raheem
Hoecht & Byron Young

Just to say The value of it to The Rams has been Comp Picks.

Morgan Fox - Brockers
AD99 - Gaines
Woods(Bobby Trees) -Kupp

Reeder,Rosenbom,Jones - adding another possibility Super Bowl year. There’s no comp there,but I do think you look at that group & trust Shula as LBer coach has in those guys.
—Raheem helped mentor Sean Mcvay into a better HC.IMO Raheem almost became The Rams HC.That’s how deep Mcvay had to go to find his LOVE 4 The Game again.I ain’t no Jourdan(athletic) Fan,but she keeps earning the respect that she deserves as a writer.She knows & Raheem was there for support & a friend.
—Super Bowl year wasn’t easy,the team was going to fall apart.Raheem had to deal with Jalen Ramsey.Just think if Taylor Rapp doesn’t get hurt? Think January 2,2022.
—Raheem did an excellent job last season.I can go deeper,but Aubrey did a good job with Whiterspoon.Shula helped him with the DB group.Raheem was the leader.Having Aubrey back & Mcvay building on there relationship is KOOL(aide) in itself.He has earned the ASSISTANT HC job.I like Giff & Carter as D’Line coaches.(AD99-Hendo) for Kobie Turner & the Young defensive Front.Bobby Brown will be set FREE!! He gets to be his OWN guy.That’s the beauty of this Rams defense!! It’s been refreshed with NEW TALENT & COACHING Staff.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's the honest part we hone in on. You always claim to have seen or heard or received inside information, yet you NEVER back it up when called out on it.
If you simply offered your opinion? No problem. But when you talk about shit that NONE of have heard and have nothing to back it, we have a problem with that.

You are constantly throwing shit out as fact and much of it is pure bullshit. If you don't like the blow back, that's on you. Bring the back up info or expect people to call you on it.

And being straight up - if you don't like that, find somewhere else to post your baseless accusations and play the martyr card at another board.
Well I ramble like Oldbutnot dead.Your meme’s & ALL. I get mindfully called out at times & respect the posters & admit I’m wrong.The knowledge & The Truth
is what is important.
—I’ve seen & watched this Rams team for years.Went to a Chargers training camp with Staley & saw what a JOKE & that organization is about.
—The Rams (Demoff) run such an awesome training camp .Friend & Family oriented with VIP tents for groups.I know Bubbaram & VeteranRam are stoked with the new venue.Veteran Ram maybe not so much & West Lake is the future ? Demoff has a plan & a vision.Mcvay will be closer to home.
—Those are Truths & I don’t have any insider INFO. You can call me out on it though. Waiting for the you/you captions.