Who will win the LA Rams most important roster battles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
All jokes aside I am intrigued by a guy who can punt and kick. Imagine if he develops an ability to hit field goals. You'd effectively gain a roster spot which is immensely valuable.
So what happens when he gets hurt in a game? Lot of legs in one basket.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
So what happens when he gets hurt in a game? Lot of legs in one basket.
Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You ninnies. Think of the possibilities. Could be a wideout, edge rusher for the rotation, maybe a clown or midget for the halftime show.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO, it was Anchrum early to get Bruss up to speed on the offense as the OTA's progressed, there was more of Bruss at RG. Agree on Evans unless something significant happens there I believe A.J. Arcuri will beat him out. As to the backup center to Shelton, I think they like UDRFA Jack Snyder for that position. Not sure Snyder makes the final 53, but they will keep him on the practice squad unless there is an injury early.
:thumbsup1: The newly drafted rookie OT AJ Arcuri the more information I can find & consume on him gets me beating the drum for him. That NFL prototypical OT physical body, with over 34-inch arms & near 11-inch hands on an over 6-7 frame is nothing to discount...Evans who has no future contract here after this season should be worried. OL coach Carberry has to be highly impressed with his bosses abilities to secure good OL prospects for him to coach up.

The physically very mature Tremayne Anchrum just should not be glossed over here. This very short ORT Ram OL 'er has played started showcasing his talents in some of the biggest games in college up until he was drafted in 2020.

As usual, Snead showed a good amount ton of interest in TA during the senior bowl too. During the week of practices, TA was very busy with snaps @ OG. The preseason two injury events involving the same knee & the IR that followed cost TA almost all of the 2021 season. I am sure that Bobby Evans would have been cut bait if TA had damaged that knee.

TA is entering his 3rd NFL Ram Training Camp & preseason so he would have to be in a leadership position in this current vacant RG post & certainly ahead of any rookie (unless Bruss is another David Edwards) even a very talented one. McVay's offense & OL scheme is not the easiest to learn.

IOL'ers Allen & Shelton both came on very big in their 3rd seasons. In addition, In addition versatile OL'er Chandlers Brewer's upcoming 3rd TC too. Snead continues to be on top of his game with the procurement of future grooming starting OL'ers.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was wondering about Diaz. You are correct… He remains unsigned.

Les Snead & the scouting team do such a wonderful job at finding players up & down the roster.

I was not happy though Sam Sloman ahead of Anchrum.Then again he was in a couple camps later.

Finding Pro Bowler Matt Gay has been excellent & trading a backup punter for a draft pick just shows how good they do.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
:thumbsup1: The newly drafted rookie OT AJ Arcuri the more information I can find & consume on him gets me beating the drum for him. That NFL prototypical OT physical body, with over 34-inch arms & near 11-inch hands on an over 6-7 frame is nothing to discount...Evans who has no future contract here after this season should be worried. OL coach Carberry has to be highly impressed with his bosses abilities to secure good OL prospects for him to coach up.

The physically very mature Tremayne Anchrum just should not be glossed over here. This very short ORT Ram OL 'er has played started showcasing his talents in some of the biggest games in college up until he was drafted in 2020.

As usual, Snead showed a good amount ton of interest in TA during the senior bowl too. During the week of practices, TA was very busy with snaps @ OG. The preseason two injury events involving the same knee & the IR that followed cost TA almost all of the 2021 season. I am sure that Bobby Evans would have been cut bait if TA had damaged that knee.

TA is entering his 3rd NFL Ram Training Camp & preseason so he would have to be in a leadership position in this current vacant RG post & certainly ahead of any rookie (unless Bruss is another David Edwards) even a very talented one. McVay's offense & OL scheme is not the easiest to learn.

IOL'ers Allen & Shelton both came on very big in their 3rd seasons. In addition, In addition versatile OL'er Chandlers Brewer's upcoming 3rd TC too. Snead continues to be on top of his game with the procurement of future grooming starting OL'ers.
Bonifay’d,I’m not going to check.I believe though that Anchrum came out a season early from Clemson & was a reason he went so late in the 2020 draft. I just posted Sloman was drafted ahead of him & that The Rams had to trade for those late 7th rd picks.
I had Rod money The Rams won’t draft a O’Lineman in 2020 with BubbaRam. Still upsets me I lost,but we’ll worth the little crow I had to eat.
I sort of pride(lol)myself on being more right than wrong on predictions.Might sound a little Matt Gay,but jokingly like the process each season if The Rams 53.
Like always enjoy your post.The 11 hand size is impressive.That is even bigger than Bruss who had large hands as well.
—Anchrum IMO has upside because of how young & mature he was when The Rams drafted him & just the growth he continues to show.His Height & Size is his biggest obstacle.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think it's Dixon's job and there isn't much debate behind the scenes.

Dicker is interesting, being a two-way kicker (punter and PK)... but does anyone really think our SuperBowl Caliber Team is going with a rookie punter/holder? I don't see it.

Diaz, if not signed now... must not have blown them away.

Adds to the debate ?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
This is pretty much Evans last year here I would think.

He'll probably go somewhere for vet minimum.

I think we have to add in Anchrum as someone who has a good chance of winning a starting role depending on how it looks in Camp but looking very impressive so far.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You ninnies. Think of the possibilities. Could be a wideout, edge rusher for the rotation, maybe a clown or midget for the halftime show.
How about a really big Wideout, who can ALSO be an Edge Rusher?!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay’d,I’m not going to check.I believe though that Anchrum came out a season early from Clemson & was a reason he went so late in the 2020 draft. I just posted Sloman was drafted ahead of him & that The Rams had to trade for those late 7th rd picks.

—Anchrum IMO has upside because of how young & mature he was when The Rams drafted him & just the growth he continues to show.His Height & Size is his biggest obstacle.
Here's what I know......TA will be 24 yrs old in a few days. He played 4 yrs in the Right OT position @ Clemson. TA started 45 gms @ RT for that Championship team. First-team All-ACC honors as a senior and second-team all-conference notice as a junior.

Most all the negatives provided on him for his future success..... projected 2020 draft (projected to go in the 6th or 7th round) & in the NFL were based on his super short status (6-1 5/8 inches tall ) as an NFL OT. RT Havenstein is a good 7 inches taller than TA. His biggest issues thus far from his work in TC & preseason @ OG.
  • Experiencing failures in his combat to land his hands initially into the frame of the DL'ers
  • TA has been working to bring his hands up faster in order to position himself for his needed interior move.
  • Total zero experience playing any OG snaps while playing for Clemson which has directly caused the two major flaws seen the first 2 seasons as a Ram.
Its always going to be a battle for TA to deal with extra-long 34-inch arms & get them into position & hooked up unlike a Coleman Shelton with 31 1/2" arms & Brian Allen with 32 3/8". It also says to me that in the future TA might end up @ LG in his future.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's what I know......TA will be 24 yrs old in a few days. He played 4 yrs in the Right OT position @ Clemson. TA started 45 gms @ RT for that Championship team. First-team All-ACC honors as a senior and second-team all-conference notice as a junior.

Most all the negatives provided on him for his future success..... projected 2020 draft (projected to go in the 6th or 7th round) & in the NFL were based on his super short status (6-1 5/8 inches tall ) as an NFL OT. RT Havenstein is a good 7 inches taller than TA. His biggest issues thus far from his work in TC & preseason @ OG.
  • Experiencing failures in his combat to land his hands initially into the frame of the DL'ers
  • TA has been working to bring his hands up faster in order to position himself for his needed interior move.
  • Total zero experience playing any OG snaps while playing for Clemson which has directly caused the two major flaws seen the first 2 seasons as a Ram.
Its always going to be a battle for TA to deal with extra-long 34-inch arms & get them into position & hooked up unlike a Coleman Shelton with 31 1/2" arms & Brian Allen with 32 3/8". It also says to me that in the future TA might end up @ LG in his future.
Your better than me.I guess I always couldn’t believe he was only 22 during his rookie season.
I look forward to watching how this all plays out.

oldnotdead

Legend
Jackson looked very good last year. Give him one more year and he should be ready as a RT.

Arcuri has a lot of technical issues to clean up. Most have to do with his footwork. If he does that IMO he can be a very good OT.

I like Jack Snyder OG. He's got the makings of a pretty good backup OG after a year on the PS. Edwards is in a contract year. After two years of mediocre play, he needs to step up this year or he's gone. Shelton will be under contract. If they thought Evans or Anchrum were starters, they wouldn't have sweated getting Bruss. IMO Jackson and Arcuri will push Evans and perhaps Anchrum off the roster. Both Jackson and Arcuri will need practice at OG. Not because they will be looked at as starters, but as gameday active backups they need to be able to step in if needed. If Snyder can impress in TC he could be one of the gameday backups (there are 3 as mandated by the NFL). That would make swing OT Jackson, swing OG/C Shelton, OG/RT Snyder.

With Jackson and Arcuri behind Havenstein, it's clear IMO that the Rams are looking at 2023 with them. I think next year Jackson and Arcuri will compete for the start at RT with the other becoming the swing OT.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think we're all forgetting about Max Pircher. I like him a lot as a developmental offensive lineman; he's learned to play every position on the line (although I'm not sure about him as a 6'7" center, he's had reps there). Shelton, to me, is the backup center, and we've got Bruss and Anchrum duking it out for the starting right guard job. Alaric Jackson is your swing tackle. I'm not sure where that leaves Evans or Arcuri; competing with, say, Chandler Brewer and Pircher for the last slot with Snyder competing for a backup center job. It's good competition, for sure, so I think nine, maybe ten, make it.

I'll go with a very bold wildcard for edge: I say that we deal Terrell Lewis, Taylor Rapp, and a smorgasbord of picks for Josh Allen of the Jaguars in a massive trade. He'll end up starting opposite Floyd, and Hollins, Chris Garrett and Daniel Hardy all make the team.

As for Bobby Brown III vs. Hoecht...is that some kind of joke? BB3 makes it easily because he's not only way more talented than Hoecht, but is in line to take A'Shawn Robinson's place as a starting three-technique. I also think that Earnest Brown IV proves why we drafted him and makes the squad over Copeland, Hoecht, and Jonah Williams. Yes, that's five defensive linemen, but the secondary is where things get tricky.

As for backup tight end to Higbee, that goes to Blanton. While Hopkins proved himself in the Super Bowl, Blanton got us there. He's earned his place. And then you have unproven guys: Harris, Jamal Pettigrew, and Roger Carter. I say both of the latter at least make the practice squad, while Harris makes the team over Hopkins.

Number four wide receiver is Van Jefferson - because OBJ will be signed by us. I get the feeling that Atwell makes the roster based on all of the talk by McVay and the coaches, but I wouldn't count out Skowronek for anything; he's already way outplayed his draft status. My heart says Skowronek, my mind says Atwell. As for backups, you've got Lance McCutcheon and Warren Jackson as my picks to make the practice squad over Koski and Landen Akers. Powell is your returnman, so that's seven potential slots, which could make Atwell and Skowronek both make the roster.

Fourth inside linebacker is another battle to watch. I feel that it's possible we keep five, which would include Rozeboom and Hummel, both of whom I do like, along with Howard there for at least another year (honestly, though, I feel he could have earned a starter job elsewhere, so he must really like it here.)

Running back is definitely interesting. We definitely have three of the slots potentially filled (barring a Henderson trade) in Akers, Henderson, and Kyren Williams, but we tend to forget about some of the ones added in recent years. I'm talking about Jones, Calais, Funk, and Rose - all of whom are interesting backs. Funk and Calais are speed threats, while Jones and Rose have more power to their game. Ultimately, it'll be decided on health and special teams. I think Calais has the advantage, being a solid kick/punt return option in case Powell goes down.

Secondary is easily our biggest battle, and I can't believe this guy didn't say it. I think safety keeps five: Fuller and Scott as the starters, Burgess, Lake, and Yeast as the backups. Cornerback is the biggest fight: I think Rochell earns the starting spot opposite Ramsey, while Durant takes the slot position. I like Kendrick as a backup (if he can get his head on straight), while you have Hill and Long competing against each other. I couldn't even tell you who wins with a gun to my head; there's positives and negatives with both, and they're only here for this year. Then you have guys like Daniel Isom, Caesar Dancy-Williams, Duron Lowe, and T.J. Carter competing for practice squad looks; I like the former two to make the practice squad.

I'll also look at backup quarterback. I think Perkins finally breaks through this year.

Punter is definitely a battle, especially if we do sign Diaz. I do like Dicker's kicking capabilities as well, so I think he still wins the job, but it's something to watch.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
The assumption is that Brown is going to step up in year 2, then the challenge for DT #4 is with Copeland not Hoecht. Copeland was brought up from the practice squad in week 9 and basically took that role upon arrival, playing 108 snaps. Hoecht played 10 in that same time span and his last snap on defense came in week 13. As for playoffs Copeland 31, Hoecht 2. Training camp could change all of this though, early report (grain of salt, it's otas) mentioned both Brown and Copeland looking good.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I predict Rob Havenstein has a big year, and then signs a long-term-extension.

He continues to start at Right Tackle until the age of 41 ... surpassing Whitworth.

Upon retirement, Havenstein goes into the Rams' Front Office, and becomes the President of Football Ops.

Under Havenstein's leadership, the Rams win seven Super Bowls; and are re-branded the Los Angeles ROBs.

Old-Not-Dead's head explodes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jackson looked very good last year. Give him one more year and he should be ready as a RT.

Arcuri has a lot of technical issues to clean up. Most have to do with his footwork. If he does that IMO he can be a very good OT.

I like Jack Snyder OG. He's got the makings of a pretty good backup OG after a year on the PS. Edwards is in a contract year. After two years of mediocre play, he needs to step up this year or he's gone. Shelton will be under contract. If they thought Evans or Anchrum were starters, they wouldn't have sweated getting Bruss. IMO Jackson and Arcuri will push Evans and perhaps Anchrum off the roster. Both Jackson and Arcuri will need practice at OG. Not because they will be looked at as starters, but as gameday active backups they need to be able to step in if needed. If Snyder can impress in TC he could be one of the gameday backups (there are 3 as mandated by the NFL). That would make swing OT Jackson, swing OG/C Shelton, OG/RT Snyder.

With Jackson and Arcuri behind Havenstein, it's clear IMO that the Rams are looking at 2023 with them. I think next year Jackson and Arcuri will compete for the start at RT with the other becoming the swing OT.
I will agree with you notdead on Alaric Jackson looking great overall after his rookie season. From what I observed from preseason & his one big game against the Vikings is very encouraging.

I thought I would throw this out here......His snap performance playing on the right side particularly @ RT post in the preseason from my perspective was "NOT" satisfactory. I observed that he is far better on the left side @ LT & LG than on the right.

Why? I am not sure but his performance @ LT was far better than @ RT that's a fact.

One would guess that since he was the sole four-year starting left tackle for Iowa OL might have something to do with it. But AJ was also good @ LG post too. With 3 yr starting OG David Edwards being in his last season under contract I would think that if AJ had any starting future with this Ram team it would be inserted @ LG next to Noteboom.

In conclusion, the Rams have a MASSIVE amount of Right OT prospects signed on the roster now & have groomed numerous of them for several seasons now. In addition, the Rams have added 3 starting rookie RT's this season.

#1-Rob Havenstein
#2-Tremayne Anchrum
#3-Max Pircher
#4-Bobby Evans
#5-Adrian Ealy
#6-A.J. Arcuri
#7-Chandler Brewer
#8-Logan Bruss
#9-Jack Snyder

Why would the Rams insert the only good experienced left-side OL'er @ RT?:bueller:

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Will Bo Cruz be able to push Jordan Harris?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll go with a very bold wildcard for edge: I say that we deal Terrell Lewis, Taylor Rapp, and a smorgasbord of picks for Josh Allen of the Jaguars in a massive trade. He'll end up starting opposite Floyd, and Hollins, Chris Garrett and Daniel Hardy all make the team.
Only prob here is why would the Jaguars do it. I'd be all for that but I doubt they want a guy who can barely practice and a safety the Rams still can't maximize in their scheme.

I think you'd have to give them a player they like and need. We could fit Jefferson into a package as he would be surplus if they think Odell will get done soon, but the Jags have Kirk, Zay & Marvin Jones, and Shenault so I don't think he'd move the needle for them.

They'd probably be looking at our DL types and demanding a guy like Gaines as part of the package. And I wouldn't want to risk our run defense taking a dive. I really enjoyed seeing our front stop the run last year.

dang

Legend
Only prob here is why would the Jaguars do it. I'd be all for that but I doubt they want a guy who can barely practice and a safety the Rams still can't maximize in their scheme.

I think you'd have to give them a player they like and need. We could fit Jefferson into a package as he would be surplus if they think Odell will get done soon, but the Jags have Kirk, Zay & Marvin Jones, and Shenault so I don't think he'd move the needle for them.

They'd probably be looking at our DL types and demanding a guy like Gaines as part of the package. And I wouldn't want to risk our run defense taking a dive. I really enjoyed seeing our front stop the run last year.
I think the Jags extended Allan to a 5th year. That sounds like a commitment to keep him around.