Whittington the latest Rams “System WR”? (NOT a pejorative term!)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Disagree. Being good enough is not just physical talent. It includes mental strength and resilience too. Just look at Jefferson.

DJax disappeared underneath, was not interested in grinding and working and blocking. He was a shit signing.
Jackson played for a long time, for 15 years so I can’t agree with you. He clearly cared enough to carry on playing despite being an all-pro, amassing over 11,000 yards and setting NFL records
  • Most career touchdowns of 60+ yards: 26
  • Most career touchdowns of 80+ yards: 5 (tied)
The facts say differently though no one is arguing he wasn’t past his prime. He regrets how his time on the team played out but whose complaining after we made one of the great mid-season WR free agent signings of all time just a few weeks later

I get why you don’t like him but that does not change the fact he had a great career

To put that in perspective we took Brian Leonard five picks before and had to settle for Derek Stanley at WR :)

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jackson played for a long time, for 15 years so I can’t agree with you. He clearly cared enough to carry on playing despite being an all-pro, amassing over 11,000 yards and setting NFL records
  • Most career touchdowns of 60+ yards: 26
  • Most career touchdowns of 80+ yards: 5 (tied)
The facts say differently though no one is arguing he wasn’t past his prime. He regrets how his time on the team played out but whose complaining after we made one of the great mid-season WR free agent signings of all time just a few weeks later

I get why you don’t like him but that does not change the fact he had a great career

To put that in perspective we took Brian Leonard five picks before and had to settle for Derek Stanley at WR :)
He could have played for 20 years but that would have nothing to do with this. He wasn't good enough, which is why we cut him and why he is still out of the league.

If you want to caveat things by regaling me with how incredible he was in earlier years go ahead, but the idea he was some untapped resource in this offense is silly. And in my estimation the same is true with Tutu.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He could have played for 20 years but that would have nothing to do with this. He wasn't good enough, which is why we cut him and why he is still out of the league.

If you want to caveat things by regaling me with how incredible he was in earlier years go ahead, but the idea he was some untapped resource in this offense is silly. And in my estimation the same is true with Tutu.

Yeah - but WTF ? that is why drafting Tutu made NO SENSE!!!

We can say what we want DJ1 did play for the Raiders after the Rams.His heart wasn’t into it & was ME not WE type of player.He wanted the ball.

If you really look at the group when Tutu was drafted & where he is as a Ram.I like Tutu & his development.

DJ1 being released helped The Rams win a Super Bowl.Creed has helped KC win the last 2. Being able to PAY OJB was HUGE!!!

Van Jefferson couldn’t handle being beat out by PUKA & Cam Akers getting beat out by Kyren Williams showing they learned from DJ1 while the others just put in the work to earn a starting spot.

What’s TUtu’s future? Any of our guesses.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

I take your point even if it is you who are now adding caveats not me :)

It didn’t work out… that is objectively true and if that was your point then I of course agree

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. And tbh you can get crazy trying to caveat shit when it comes to busts. But any player who doesn't live up to expectations for his draft spot is a bust. Of course there are degrees of busts. But there really isn't a reason to get too in the grass on that because bottom line is the team needed Jefferson and he couldn't step up. Great kid but not enough dog. So whether the guy was "not good enough" or "complete shit" either way it's the same result.

It's more worthwhile I think to split hairs is when it comes to hitting on picks. First round pick becomes a solid starter we'll call it a hit. But there's a vast gulf between a guy who is a Pro Bowl level type and a starter. The difference makers are what drive fortunes in this league.
"I'm sure rapping skills somehow plays into the draft bust calculus..." ~ Greg Robinson

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tutu slander!

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I take your point even if it is you who are now adding caveats not me :)

It didn’t work out… that is objectively true and if that was your point then I of course agree
All I said was the dude wasn't good enough, in response to the old "coach didn't utilize him right" sentiment. So from there it is all unnecessary "caveating." But no worries.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
DJ could have made some hay around here if here were fed deep shots. But that is not enough for McVay who wants his receivers to go over the middle and block when needed.

jjab360

Legend
It ain't usage. Neither were good enough.
Huh? DJ is one of the best deep threats of all time and was still blowing the top off of defenses in 2021 in limited playing time.

We didn't cut him because he wasn't good enough, we cut him because he requested to be cut.

He was a part time role player who played his role well towards the end of his career but became dissatisfied with just being a role player. He now recognizes his ego got in the way and that was a mistake for him, could've gone out on top instead of just fading out of the league.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We didn't cut him because he wasn't good enough, we cut him because he requested to be cut.
Why was he a part time role player. Because he wasn't good enough.

Dude would have been good enough for some teams, like a shit ass Jeff Fisher offense where he was allowed to fuck off and do what he was good at only which was going deep. But the Rams have higher standards. DJax was not capable of meeting those standards.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Dude would have been good enough for some teams, like a shit ass Jeff Fisher offense where he was allowed to fuck off and do what he was good at only which was going deep. But the Rams have higher standards. DJax was not capable of meeting those standards.
He played his whole career the same. Mcvay knew what he was. He was never going to block or run the whole route tree. He did what he did and mcvay knew it. He was open when he was in and got missed untill Stafford finally connected. He was still good at what he did. Mcvay chose to leave him on the bench because with him in the game is a tell to the D. Atwell is also very good at what he does, but for the same reason he is not used. When he goes to another team we will see that.

Hard to understand why the rams signed Jackson and Drafted Tutu because mcvay waisted their talent

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He played his whole career the same. Mcvay knew what he was. He was never going to block or run the whole route tree. He did what he did and mcvay knew it. He was open when he was in and got missed untill Stafford finally connected. He was still good at what he did. Mcvay chose to leave him on the bench because with him in the game is a tell to the D. Atwell is also very good at what he does, but for the same reason he is not used. When he goes to another team we will see that.

Hard to understand why the rams signed Jackson and Drafted Tutu because mcvay waisted their talent
I don't think we're too different on this. To me there is zero reason to sugar coat this shit. If a player isn't good enough it doesn't matter if he's "mostly not good enough" or an ass-hair sandwich. I never liked Jackson. I've always thought he was overrated, and I hoped McVay would be able to use him but he just didn't cut it.

So again if everyone else wants to focus on the degrees of this knock yourselves out. I'm fine with that. Just the way I see it.

jjab360

Legend

I don't get what you're saying he wasn't good enough to do. Be a starter or be on the roster at all? Because we didn't sign him to be a starter, we already had Kupp/Woods/Jefferson locked in for those spots. We signed him to be a deep threat/change of pace backup WR, which he was good enough to be for us at the time if his ego didn't get in the way. We would not have cut him at the time if he hadn't requested to be cut.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Name
Mike
It's this simple. Whittington looks legit. But if can't look good having a triple crown super bowl MVP and a guy who broke last every rookie record ever playing next to him something is seriously wrong. Yes he looks like a beast but he has the easiest road to success EVER.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's this simple. Whittington looks legit. But if can't look good having a triple crown super bowl MVP and a guy who broke last every rookie record ever playing next to him something is seriously wrong. Yes he looks like a beast but he has the easiest road to success EVER.

He hasn't played with them in the preseason games.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We would not have cut him at the time if he hadn't requested to be cut.
Disagree again. McVay doesn't put up with whiny bitches who cry for touches. The whole "DJax asked for release" thing is just the Rams letting him save face.