Whittington the latest Rams “System WR”? (NOT a pejorative term!)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This may be semantics but I have a slight objection to calling 21' awful. It's been said as a general rule of thumb that if you get two starters from a draft it's a good draft. Getting one above-average starter and two role players over their rookie contracts can't be awful.

A bit subpar? Sure.

I'm not sure they made any tweaks to their draft philosophy. I don't see evidence that they ever really moved away from targeting team leaders. The biggest issue with the 20' and 21' classes is that Covid messed up their processes.
All good points.. and, sometimes, it's just variance.

Btw.. If you add in UDFA's.. 2021 becomes an excellent year. Alaric Jackson, while not a superstar, is a very solid LT.. to get one of those anywhere outside of the first round is a big win.

To your point.. getting two starters is considered a decent draft, I hesitate to call it "good", but that's me... and the Rams got one very good starter.. and one good starter.. plus a solid contributor in Tutu.. and a contributor who still has potential to be more in Bobby Brown.

To Whittington.. fit just can't be understated in success in professional sports. Whittington is a natural fit with the Rams on many, many levels.

I thought Jefferson was, but.. as others have said.. no dog in that guy. I see similarities with Brendan Rice.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Just about that entire draft was a miss. Maybe not all complete busts, but the few that did get PT, played below their draft selection.

Akers & Jefferson, both late 2nds, easily underperformed their draft position. Okay players, that were flawed. Jefferson was soft, Akers couldn't stay healthy and maybe a little bit of an attitude issue.

Lewis & Burgess were complete 3rd rd busts. Maybe injury related in both cases, but regardless they did nothing.

Hopkins was a 4th rd bust, but with a huge asterisk in that he came up big in the biggest game possible. So have to give him credit there.

After that only Fuller was a quality and consistent starter. Limited, but a great 6th rd pick.

Other notables... Sam Sloman, a bad pick for a kicker. Didn't even look like a quality college kicker. Clay Johnston pussed out and ran back to Daddy's practice squad in Carolina. Just checked, he's in Cincinnati now. At least he is still in the league for a 7th rounder.

21' was also awful. Only Atwell, Jones, and Brown remain from that draft. And while Jones was a fine pick...Atwell was overdrafted and not a fit. Brown was a project that they might get a good year and a half out of his first 4 years.

So it makes you wonder what tweaks they made to their draft philosophy. One seems to be going back to team leaders. Another is staying away from players with injury histories. However, there has to be some other changes considering how well these last 2 drafts went. Even in 22' it wasn't horrible considering their first pick was around pick 101.
I think having so many needs the last 2 years had them keeping to best available player.
Also especially this year, the 5 QBs being picked in the 1st 12 really skewed the draft board into what the Rams needed.
I also think that AD's statement of make sure they care, might have caused a change in focus that they saw really make a difference last year and now it is an essential part of the choices they make.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This may be semantics but I have a slight objection to calling 21' awful. It's been said as a general rule of thumb that if you get two starters from a draft it's a good draft. Getting one above-average starter and two role players over their rookie contracts can't be awful.

A bit subpar? Sure.

I'm not sure they made any tweaks to their draft philosophy. I don't see evidence that they ever really moved away from targeting team leaders. The biggest issue with the 20' and 21' classes is that Covid messed up their processes.
Agree... I was actually going to edit that comment after I re-read it later, but it was too late to edit. Jones and the small contribution made by Atwell alone makes it an okay draft. Just disappointing in Atwell essentially being a 4th WR or worse and yet taken so high, and then missing on all the late picks.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Agree... I was actually going to edit that comment after I re-read it later, but it was too late to edit. Jones and the small contribution made by Atwell alone makes it an okay draft. Just disappointing in Atwell essentially being a 4th WR or worse and yet taken so high, and then missing on all the late picks.
You're right that Atwell is a disappointment. It's always disappointing when the higher draft picks don't work out. On the other hand, like @Kupped mentioned earlier, we have a UDFA in Alaric Jackson who is starting for us.

At the end of the day, I don't care where the starters come from. A surprising UDFA hit cancels out a high pick miss.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The 1 thing The Rams knew was they had a player who could play on TEAMS (special) & was a Leader.

He was Mic’d Up & talked about what a GREAT Receivers room The Rams(they) have. The 3rd best WR there just shows how his value (worth) was over looked & just how well Les(Mcvay) knows that Texas(staff) team.
That is a well thought (out) analysis.
I think you are on to (something) there.
Les(McVay) has been doing this for a long time and has a lot of (great) connections.
(McSnead) definitely knows our Ram system and the (type of) player that fits it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Les(McVay) has been doing this for a long time and has a lot of (great) connections.
(McSnead) definitely knows our Ram system and the (type of) player that fits it.
(Bottom line). (Rams know their shit).

LOURam85

Rookie
Mcvay offense is a slot receiver dream come true … one of the few things I don’t like about Mcvay offense I would like adams/jefferson type receiver added

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think having so many needs the last 2 years had them keeping to best available player.
Also especially this year, the 5 QBs being picked in the 1st 12 really skewed the draft board into what the Rams needed.
I also think that AD's statement of make sure they care, might have caused a change in focus that they saw really make a difference last year and now it is an essential part of the choices they make.
Something else I think has changed in the Rams philosophy caused by the need to rebuild fast. They have prioritized experience. All the guys that they are drafting have played a lot of football and are mostly 23, 24. Not like Brown who is just now in his 3rd year looking like he might be getting it. They are not picking projects. This has helped with very quick transitions to the NFL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well it goes a whole heck of a lot deeper than that.Still it’s when Mcvay(Rams) get(s) desperate that mistakes are made.
-relationships do matter,and looking inside there draft room it gives us Fans an insight of it all.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, Atwell is suffering from being used in the same way DeSean Jackson was during the Super Bowl year only he doesn't appear to be complaining.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO, Atwell is suffering from being used in the same way DeSean Jackson was during the Super Bowl year only he doesn't appear to be complaining.
It ain't usage. Neither were good enough.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
DeSean Jackson was most definitely good enough in fact I can’t recall many better at what he did in terms of blowing the top off a defense
Disagree. Being good enough is not just physical talent. It includes mental strength and resilience too. Just look at Jefferson.

DJax disappeared underneath, was not interested in grinding and working and blocking. He was a shit signing.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
DeSean Jackson was most definitely good enough in fact I can’t recall many better at what he did in terms of blowing the top off a defense
He didn't have the aggressive hands though. I watched him a lot in Washington and his drops and incompletes were frustrating. Tutu's better than he was.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
More to your point, it was 6!