Where Has Team Loyalty Gone ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
@Rod De Kruyf I'm with ya on this. I understand that making some more money has appeal, but I also understand the point you're trying to make. That is ... how much is enough! Geez! Why not stay somewhere and make $11 million per year for 3 years instead of moving, learning a new system, playing with a lessor QB and making $15 million per year?

Show some loyalty. Give back a little bit in order to better the team's success. Want a good chance at a ring or not? Are you playing to be the best and get a ring? Or are you only playing to earn ridiculously over paid amounts of money?

People say stuff like "they gotta look out for their family." What?!?!? Their family cannot live their entire lives on 10's of millions of guaranteed dollars? Really?

Hey, fellow Ram fans on this board. How many of you would be a-ok with earning $10,000,000 in one year, even just for 1 year in your life? How about "settling" for an $18,000,000 franchise tag for one year?
Would you squander it ... or make it last a lifetime?

People also say, "teams are not loyal to players...." Not true. Teams sit down with a player and offer them a dollar amount and explain the contract (or their agent does). The player can refuse or try to bargain, or accept. What NFL team has never paid a player what the signed contract says he was guaranteed?

Conversely, what player do you know that has every paid an NFL team money in order to play football? None. My point is the team's loyalty in a way IS the huge $$$$$$$$ they pay these guys. What would most NFL players be doing for work if an NFL team wasn't paying them big bucks to be famous and play a game on the field? I don't want to answer that because it might be politically incorrect.

In conclusion, it's just crazy for me to think about uprooting and being a bit disloyal for the difference between $48 million vs $40 million OVER just 3 years. I just don't get it. There is no other way to explain it other than pure greed. Wanting to have more more and more .... even way too much. Even though this is a business, the teams are more loyal in the grand scheme of things than the players are. It's greed. And greed exists everywhere, not just the NFL.

That's a bogus argument that ignores the basic fundamentals of economics.

Firstly, any form of entertainment that allows scale (meaning it's not restricted to in person attendance) has the potential to scale exponentially over other forms of employment. I mean, CEOs average something around $2-3M with a few of them skewing the numbers. The median is lower.

And yet, how much does an average 2nd baseman make? A backup QB? A non-scoring power forward in the NBA? A mediocre pop singer???

Trying to conflate the micro-economic concerns of work-a-day folks with those who are in a employment bracket where wages are based on a scale based on popularity of a population and interest (thus demand) isn't how economics works. Otherwise, police, firefighters and teachers would all make significantly more and entertainers would make substantially less.

It also ignores scarcity. None of us has irreplaceable skills... and I invented something and I know 503 has the best BBQ sauce on the planet (not small feat). When it comes to entertainers, it's not enough to be supremely talented. Most people have never heard of Stanley Jordan. And yet, hear him play and he's one of the best guitarists on the planet. There's also the serendipity of "right place, right time".

More and more players ARE looking financially for the long term, from negotiating their own contracts to being advised to NOT buy the big house or latest supercar and simply live cheap and buy into their retirement.

That said, you're talking apples and oranges. Unless you're working in bomb disposal, a fire fighter, police officer or work at the exchange counter at Wal-Mart (all very dangerous jobs), then it's unlikely that tomorrow your career will end short of automation obviating your profession.

I understand the incredulity when talking about the money entertainers make, but if you ignore the economics of the situation, you're missing the point.

Name
Rod
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey, thank all you guys for your great comments, some I agree with some not, but then that's the beauty of an opinion board.
I guess I was growing a little nostalgic my Rams fan days go back to Pete Rozelle as GM. I have been through so many ups and downs with the Rams I won't bore you with them all. From bad management to poor personel. And yet my loyalty to my team never wavered. What if the fans loyalty wavered as much as all the others ? What if we only followed a team that went to the play-offs ? The minute they were out of the running the fans stayed home ? Would there be an NFL ? Just some thoughts about the culture of pure greed that I think we live in today.
I'm not saying these guys haven't worked for this money or even that they don't deserve it. Our culture today seems like we have become pigs at the trough of gluttony. The heck with relationships or gratitude, "I want mine and I want it now".

Flint

Pro Bowler
Injuries are part of the deal and if you get hurt you might get a settlement and they send you on your way. And a majority of guys aren’t making millions and millions, if you’re a late round pick and a back up and special teamer you get no security, no loyalty. You better be saving what you make and your wife works too.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Hey, thank all you guys for your great comments, some I agree with some not, but then that's the beauty of an opinion board.
I guess I was growing a little nostalgic my Rams fan days go back to Pete Rozelle as GM. I have been through so many ups and downs with the Rams I won't bore you with them all. From bad management to poor personel. And yet my loyalty to my team never wavered. What if the fans loyalty wavered as much as all the others ? What if we only followed a team that went to the play-offs ? The minute they were out of the running the fans stayed home ? Would there be an NFL ? Just some thoughts about the culture of pure greed that I think we live in today.
I'm not saying these guys haven't worked for this money or even that they don't deserve it. Our culture today seems like we have become pigs at the trough of gluttony. The heck with relationships or gratitude, "I want mine and I want it now".
Well said, the fans are suppose to stay loyal though, and shell out money for over priced jerseys every other year because your favorite player is no longer with the team!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
People take new jobs for a dollar or whatever more per hour all the time in the real world, so it's hard to fault these guys for utilizing the market.

Only thing I'd throw out there is sometimes chasing a bit more money over fit is a dumb way to go. If it were me I'd be more concerned with the team overall, that there's a good environment to win and sustain success, even if it meant taking less. But, hey, some dudes want that extra million or whatever and it's hard to fault that.

My sentiment exactly. I'd rather makes $12 million a year on a team with legitimate Super Bowl aspirations than $15 million a year on a team that has no realistic shot. That's where the players who chase $$$ to the exclusion of all else lose me.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Players should take the money.

I played a Golf tourney and got teamed up with former rams kicker Mike Lansford.. Great guy BTW. His knees were totally shot. Hes had surgeries on both IIRC. We're talking about a guy that didn't get hit or tackled like many of the other positions, yet he was paying with his body, for his time playing the game

Take the money.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The greed and insane contracts are the most disgusting part of professional sports.

Paying anyone in entertainment that much money is ludicrous. Some of them work hard but ALL of them are using the talents God blessed them with. Thankfully many have good hearts and faith and know that their fortune is not their doing alone and they give back to family and communities.

The high end professionals who work for 40 years never come close to making 50 million over their careers. Most people are lucky to get to a point where they can retire and live out their golden years without being a burden on their families.

It would take a special person not to put the bottom line as their first priority.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
LA makes it difficult to justify "home town discount" the taxes here pretty much makes that impossible.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Well said, the fans are suppose to stay loyal though, and shell out money for over priced jerseys every other year because your favorite player is no longer with the team!

I got over the loyalty thing a LONG time ago...I like or dislike things as I see fit and then watch how it all plays out...I used to be quick to jump the players about loyalty, until I got a little older and better understood the dynamics of both sides...In today's world of me me me, it's look out for #1...Remember that if you don't look after yourself, nobody is going to do it for you...Both sides of this equation are looking after their own best interests...Which, I suppose, is how it needs to be...

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
...In today's world of me me me, it's look out for #1...Remember that if you don't look after yourself, nobody is going to do it for you...Both sides of this equation are looking after their own best interests...Which, I suppose, is how it needs to be...

What you say above is absolutely true. That is what's sad in my opinion. "Me first. F you I'll literally step on and over you to get what I want." While there are people who truly try to do good to others and make a positive difference, there are more people caught up in the "I gotta get mine first at all costs" mentality.
Think about it. Just something as simple as the doors opening in the morning at a store with great black friday deals. All those fools trampling and racing others to the merchandise have one thing on their mind. "Me First!"

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
How many of you saying there's no loyalty, were thankful for Steven Jackson's loyalty all those years? Tom Brady shows loyalty. Larry Fitzgerald? Ray Lewis? There are some memebers who portray loyalty. A contract is not the only way to earn money. You can make millions off Sponsorships, which come with winning. So if you go to a losing team for more money, its more likely you lose the money you get from sponsorships, commercials, interviews, etc. Theres also investing. Literally tons of ways to generate more revenue if you already have a shit ton to work with.

Ellard80

Legend
Loyalty is an interesting concept... but one of those slippery slopes.

The easiest placement for loyalty is marriage - after that it can hurt you as much as it can help you in all facets of life.

There certainly isn't much loyalty in professional sports - and there never has been... don't be fooled.

In the old days players were "loyal" to their teams .. because they had no choice. The administration and coaches could be the biggest dogmatic, tyrants they wanted to.. because no one could do shit about it.

Don't confuse that as loyalty...

Ellard80

Legend
The greed and insane contracts are the most disgusting part of professional sports.

Paying anyone in entertainment that much money is ludicrous. Some of them work hard but ALL of them are using the talents God blessed them with. Thankfully many have good hearts and faith and know that their fortune is not their doing alone and they give back to family and communities.

The high end professionals who work for 40 years never come close to making 50 million over their careers. Most people are lucky to get to a point where they can retire and live out their golden years without being a burden on their families.

It would take a special person not to put the bottom line as their first priority.

Well you can blame the owners who compete with themselves to shell out those huge contracts.. no one has to offer those contracts.. but they do.

We also can all look in the mirror... sports and entertainment are what people want to spend their money on. That's where the money follows.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I cannot blame or criticize any NFL player for taking more money. With the potential for health problems...and the lack of guaranteed contracts in the NFL... We all should expect guys....more often than not...to take more money... and considering what happens with far to many NFL players..I honest can't blame them..

We're going to build a solid team... we're spending wisely and we've drafted well and developed enough good young players to contend...

it will all work out

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
There are plenty of fans that are not loyal and jump ship. See Seahawks and Cowboys fans for example.

Sappy113

Rookie
Loyalty is for fans. And, really, as long as teams can just dump a player and just shrug it off with "it's a business decision", it's only fair the players also look to maximize what they can from their relatively short careers.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW's I have always felt Loyalty is my greatest strength and weakness as one can be loyal to a fault. As to players, if they can get more money elsewhere, I never hold that against them nor would I hold it against me for changing jobs to make more money, which I have only done a few times, but good for others, who can make as much coin as they can.

Some players like where they are like Robey-Coleman, however, once you're at their level with the ability to move about the country because of large contract, IMO, you can't hold that against any player as we would not hold it against a colleague in the corporate world.

BadCompany

Rookie
FWIW's I have always felt Loyalty is my greatest strength and weakness as one can be loyal to a fault. As to players, if they can get more money elsewhere, I never hold that against them nor would I hold it against me for changing jobs to make more money, which I have only done a few times, but good for others, who can make as much coin as they can.

Some players like where they are like Robey-Coleman, however, once you're at their level with the ability to move about the country because of large contract, IMO, you can't hold that against any player as we would not hold it against a colleague in the corporate world.

Indeed, are we not all fans of the "LA-not-St.Louis" Rams? How much more money does BILLIONAIRE Stan Kroenke need?

I get that a lot of people held this against him, but he still did it, and stands to profit quite handsomely from it. If the owner of your company puts money above all else how can we expect the employees to think any differently? As always it's the fans who pay the steepest price, literally and figuratively. But who cares about them, amirite?