When Brown's Back Who's Gone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think they will. They will probably put Brown back in over Blythe mostly due to the fact that Blythe is also our backup center. If something were to happen to Sullivan and Blythe had to step in it's less moving parts on the Oline. If something were to happen to Blythe then we have no backup center with experience. I don't think McVay would be too stoked on that. I think Blythe is our future at Center/Guard he's proven to be very good at both positions.
The way Blythe is playing though could mean the Rams don't bring back Jamon after this season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way Blythe is playing though could mean the Rams don't bring back Jamon after this season.

He arguably already was a longshot to come back next year anyway. The Rams can't pay everybody. They will draft somebody cheaper, and this time not waive him trying to get him on the practice squad.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Let’s pump the breaks a bit.

Jamon Brown from week 5 last year was the #1 pass blocking guard in the NFL and was a demon as a run blocker.

Just to be clear:

A) you don’t trade away depth during a Super Bowl run and

B) you don’t trade away depth during a Super Bowl run.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

I think they will, Brown is going to come cheap and he plays well enough and finding a productive guard is not easy. It's obvious Blythe is the future at Center or guard. But losing both Brown and saffold in one off-season might be a hard pill to swallow. Not to mention Andrew Whitworth is on his last year of his contract if I'm not mistaken

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I think they will, Brown is going to come cheap and he plays well enough and finding those are not easy to find. It's obvious Blythe is the future at Center or guard. But losing both Brown and saffold in one off-season might be a hard pill to swallow. Not to mention Andrew Whitworth is on his last year of his contract if I'm not mistaken
But what if they re-sign Saffold?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This season has just got off the starting line. Many twist & turns awaiting the Rams team this season.Sunday, Feb. 3 2019 is a long ways off boys & girls. I would hope that we keep OG Jamon Brown as our top swing OG from this point on. I even don't mind using Brown to spell both Saffold & Blythe when its needed. I would take advantage of this positive event myself. Brown is now our top most experienced reserve OL'er. Brown has many starts @ both left & right OG.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m in the “Brown stays” camp. Bonifay is right. You don’t trade away starting talent during a SB run. Never know when a quality starting OG will be worth his weight in gold.

I would cut the following in this order:

Smart
Brandon Allen
I Johnson.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can’t see them moving what was a starting guard due to a two game suspension unless there’s more we don’t know. We need the depth and Brown is, at minimum, serviceable but IMO starting material.

I agree that Brown may start this week in order to keep our depth where it needs to be. In Blyth we have a very good back up at guard AND center and in Noteboom, we have a quality reserve at tackle. That doesn’t seem like something you want to mess with unless you feel Blyth is a major upgrade.

Now I could see Blyth starting one more week while Brown gets some more practice time with the starting unit.

I guess we’ll see but trading him for a sixth? I just don’t see it.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
But what if they re-sign Saffold?

then i still think we'll keep brown. Why wouldn't we? He played well last year, and this 2 game suspension gives us leverage when it comes to his contract. I think it's obvious that we should not create holes where they're not needed.

Lets talk about Noteboom, Say next year he starts at LT because Whitworth is on his last year, he probably wants a SB and wants to retire, the same can be said with Sullivan.
So you have Noteboom, Saffold, Blythe, Brown, Hav.
Or you have Noteboom, ???, Blythe, ??? Hav

IMO I would rather have known commodities than unknown rookies starting next to a second year LT that's never started a game in the NFL.
Thats my $.02

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
then i still think we'll keep brown. Why wouldn't we? He played well last year, and this 2 game suspension gives us leverage when it comes to his contract. I think it's obvious that we should not create holes where they're not needed.

Lets talk about Noteboom, Say next year he starts at LT because Whitworth is on his last year, he probably wants a SB and wants to retire and the same can be said with Sullivan.

IMO I would rather have known commodities than unknown rookies starting next to a second year LT that's never started a game in the NFL.
Thats my $.02
Alright, you convinced me. Saffold has said wants to be a Ram, Brown would be foolish to not re-up with the Rams. And with Noteboom, Allen, and Blythe, who I'm glad we have instead of Demby, we are set.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Let’s pump the breaks a bit.

Jamon Brown from week 5 last year was the #1 pass blocking guard in the NFL and was a demon as a run blocker.

Just to be clear:

A) you don’t trade away depth during a Super Bowl run and

B) you don’t trade away depth during a Super Bowl run.
Plus no guarantee Saffold will be back next year. Brown could replace him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Although i'd love to keep Saffold, he may cost to much. It's quite possible our line next year may look like:
Noteboom, Brown, Allen, Blythe, Hav.

Rather re-sign Saffold and have solid depth behind him with Brown or Blythe.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Thats my $.02

Like I have said before it seems to take young offensive lineman a few seasons to really develop.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/19/all-agree-that-austin-blythe-should-start-for-the-rams-even-the-lineman-he-replaced/amp/

All agree that Austin Blythe should start for the Rams, even the lineman he replaced
  • Rich Hammond
GettyImages-8795417242.jpg

Rams guard Austin Blythe, left, blocks during the first half of game against the Houston Texans at the Coliseum on November 12, 2017 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)
THOUSAND OAKS – Austin Blythe solidified his status as a super sub, and it seems he can be more.

The Rams have a delightful problem. Jamon Brown, an effective starter at right guard last season, has returned from a two-game suspension, but Blythe did a stellar job as his replacement. So now what?

No need to overthink this one. The Rams are 2-0, with 30-plus points in both games, and the offensive line looks effective and cohesive. Brown might regain his job as some point, but for now, there’s no reason for the Rams to take Blythe, a former waiver-wire pickup, out of the starting lineup.

Everyone seems to be in agreement, including Brown.

“I’m going to do whatever is asked of me,” Brown said after Wednesday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “Blythe, he played well the first two weeks and I think he earned and deserved every right to continue to keep that up. I’ll do what I can, as far as still preparing and still practicing and approaching every day the same.”

Rams coach Sean McVay has stopped short of declaring that Blythe will keep the job, or for how long, but McVay’s thinly veiled comments this week indicated that Blythe will start Sunday against the Chargers.

Blythe, 26, whom the Rams plucked after Indianapolis discarded him in May 2017, has started only four NFL games, but he was superb in the last two – this year’s season opener at Oakland and last week’s dominant victory over Arizona – when he played every snap and certainly didn’t look out of place.

The Rams activated Brown from the exempt list Wednesday and he practiced for the first time in three weeks. Presumably, Brown will be available against the Chargers, but probably as a backup.

The NFL suspended Brown for the first two games of the season for a violation of its substance-abuse policy. Brown served a four-day house-arrest sentence in 2017 after he pleaded guilty to aggravated DUI. Brown said police found marijuana in his car, but Brown was not charged for any drug possession.

During his absence, a top analytics website, Pro Football Focus, graded Blythe as the NFL’s fourth-best guard (left or right) though the first two weeks of the season. The site graded Blythe higher as a pass blocker than a run blocker, with two quarterback pressures allowed on 135 snaps.

Blythe also opened eyes in the run game. On a fourth-and-goal play from the Arizona 1-yard line last Sunday, Blythe mauled a defensive lineman and Todd Gurley scored without being touched.

“It feels good,” Blythe said. “Really, I think it just means I’ve done my job and done it well enough that the coaches have recognized it and they’re going to continue to let me try to prove myself. I’ve got to keep doing it every week.”

The Rams also must make decisions with the future in mind. Brown is set to become an unrestricted free agent after this season and will be due a raise at the end of his rookie contract. More notably, left guard Rodger Saffold also is set to be a free agent, and he has a salary-cap hit of almost $8 million this season.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
This is by far our toughest game of the year so far, Blythe has been barnstorming so far, but then again so was Brown last year, I'd definitely start Blythe this week though to keep the consistency, It's not a bad thing to have Brown as your swing OG for a game though ;)

You don't cut someone who's playing out of their skin, just because your 'starter' is back after suspension - Brown is going to have to earn back his spot, and that is a healthy place for us to be in.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think they will, Brown is going to come cheap and he plays well enough and finding a productive guard is not easy. It's obvious Blythe is the future at Center or guard. But losing both Brown and saffold in one off-season might be a hard pill to swallow. Not to mention Andrew Whitworth is on his last year of his contract if I'm not mistaken

Whitworth is on the books for next year at $12M... I think that's his cap number.

Many just assume that he will retire after they win the SB this year...:)

Seriously, that is where we could get added cap relief if Noteboom steps up next year and Whitworth retires.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Whitworth is on the books for next year at $12M... I think that's his cap number.

Many just assume that he will retire after they win the SB this year...:)

Seriously, that is where we could get added cap relief if Noteboom steps up next year and Whitworth retires.

I doubt very much we will pay Whit 12 next year. That's a pretty common thing with contracts .Last year is almost always renegotiated or the player is let go